Interviewed at school my boyfriend currently attends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

J.A.R.V.I.S

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently interviewed at my top choice but its pretty late in the cycle so I'm worried. I honestly don't think I could have had a better interview so that gives me hope. Plus my boyfriend is currently a 3rd year student there.

The school specifically said not to send letters of intent, so I want to respect that. I’m trying to figure out if it would be appropriate for him to send a brief email to the dean of admissions or someone he knows just expressing that he thinks I’d be a good fit for the school, or if that would come across negatively.

For anyone who has been through this process, do student connections actually help at all? Or is it better to just stay patient and avoid doing anything that could hurt my chances?

Would appreciate any honest advice.

Thank you
 
I recently interviewed at my top choice but its pretty late in the cycle so I'm worried. I honestly don't think I could have had a better interview so that gives me hope. Plus my boyfriend is currently a 3rd year student there.

The school specifically said not to send letters of intent, so I want to respect that. I’m trying to figure out if it would be appropriate for him to send a brief email to the dean of admissions or someone he knows just expressing that he thinks I’d be a good fit for the school, or if that would come across negatively.

For anyone who has been through this process, do student connections actually help at all? Or is it better to just stay patient and avoid doing anything that could hurt my chances?

Would appreciate any honest advice.

Thank you
Letters of recommendation from family members or friends are not standard procedure and trying this would do you more harm than good.
 
Letters of recommendation from family members or friends are not standard procedure and trying this would do you more harm than good.

That makes sense, I just had a friend do something like that but not sure directly how and it worked so thought it may help. Do you think it would be more appropriate for me to send a brief email expressing continued interest?

I was thinking of mentioning that I’ve spent a lot of time in the city, have become very familiar with the program and student culture through my boyfriend being a current student, and that it’s reinforced how strong of a fit I feel the school is for me. Not really a formal LOI since they asked us not to send those, but more of a genuine continued interest email.

Or should I avoid that as well?

Thank you for your help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You should've said all that in the interview. If you did, great--it'll be in your file somewhere. But what you're describing sounds like a soft LOI, so don't send it. It won't be considered.
 
You should've said all that in the interview. If you did, great--it'll be in your file somewhere. But what you're describing sounds like a soft LOI, so don't send it. It won't be considered.
I did mention it during the interview, but they didn’t really spend much time on that part of the conversation. It was more of a quick “that’s great” response before moving on to the next topic, so I’m not sure how much weight it actually got in the overall discussion.
 
Did you mention this relationship in your application anywhere, including secondary essays? More importantly, is a ring and a date involved in this relationship?
I believe I mentioned it very briefly (like 2-3 sentences out of a full page secondary essay). No ring involved but we've been dating since college.
 
I believe I mentioned it very briefly (like 2-3 sentences out of a full page secondary essay). No ring involved but we've been dating since college.
At this point, you'll have to wait it out. You previously discussed having an application strategy with your metrics, which can always be a factor in a final file deliberation. If this is your only offer, you need to build your reapp.
 
Honest advice?

A letter (or email) from a boyfriend to his Dean of Admissions recommending his girlfriend for admission is faaaaar more likely to do more harm than good.

This is medical school, not a hostess job at Applebees.

Please don’t think i’m being a jerk on purpose. I get where you’re coming from. But don’t do this.
Addendum:

Even a short visit/chat/office drop-by would be ill-advised.
 
I recently interviewed at my top choice but its pretty late in the cycle so I'm worried. I honestly don't think I could have had a better interview so that gives me hope. Plus my boyfriend is currently a 3rd year student there.

The school specifically said not to send letters of intent, so I want to respect that. I’m trying to figure out if it would be appropriate for him to send a brief email to the dean of admissions or someone he knows just expressing that he thinks I’d be a good fit for the school, or if that would come across negatively.

For anyone who has been through this process, do student connections actually help at all? Or is it better to just stay patient and avoid doing anything that could hurt my chances?

Would appreciate any honest advice.

Thank you
Agree with everyone else. Would be patient regarding this opportunity and would start preparing to reapply since unfortunately last cycle is pretty much over :/