Buying a New Car Before Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fadingin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wanted to see if I could get some advice - from people who have been in this position or are going through something similar.

I will be attending MUSC this upcoming fall and here is my projected number breakdown:

Tuition: 31,000
Books: 900
Room & Board (Utilities included): 600/mo (7200 total for a year - average for Charleston, SC)

That brings me to 39,100 so far.

I am looking at leasing a new car for 3 years with a 10,000 mile per year package - realistically speaking, what do you think would be a good range for a lease for me to be able to afford everything for school and myself.

Ideally, I'd like to take out ~50,000 a year in loans, how common is it to receive a combination of loans like this - including FAFSA. My credit score is slightly under 740 and climbing and I am an independent.

Any help with this/car recommendations/budget help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not the best idea to take out further loans to do this. Generally you can't get money for this kind of thing through your school, as they will only cover tuition and basic living expenses. You could get around this by taking out the maximum amount and spending less on housing/living expenses, but that's probably easier said than done. In other words, plan on taking out private loans to cover any expenses.

Also keep in mind that leasing a car is a poor fiscal decision. Depending on your monthly payment (say it's $300), you might end up paying nearly $10000 over three years. Keep in mind that you'll have to repay that + whatever interesting you end up with, and your interest will accumulate as you go through medical school. The worst part is that after 3 years, you won't own anything. If you have to get a new car, a much better option IMO is to buy something used in the $10000 range, and then keep it for many years. An even better option is to not go into any more debt than you have to while in medical school.

If you have to get a new car, a much better option IMO is to buy something used in the $10000 range, and then keep it for many years. An even better option is to not go into any more debt than you have to while in medical school.

This is the smart way to go for a man in your situation. You dont need a NEW car, you just need A car.

Also keep in mind that leasing a car is a poor fiscal decision.
In the long run, sure, but sometimes it's smarter. I'll owe just under $10000 after my 3-year lease is up, so considering that sticker price of ~$17600, I'm out about $2500 over those 3 years. That's a decent trade for not having to finance the entire value of the car at once. I doubt I could afford the payments that way. A 2006 Civic with 35000 miles was in the $13000 range, so buying used wasn't really that great of a discount. If you're looking to buy a car you'll keep for awhile, I'd still say to lease one, but if you need something to get you by, go cheap.

Buy yourself a 1990 BMW 535i.

@100,000 miles: $5000.

Most dependable car on the planet.

RE the whole leasing debate: a lot of people argue that leasing is silly in the sense that you're paying interest to "borrow" a car that you don't even keep after the time is up, but lets be real here - are you really going to want to keep the same car for more than a few years anyway? Most people like to get a new vehicle every few years if they can, so I think it's even sillier to pay more to buy a car that you're likely not going to keep for much longer than if you had leased it...

Buy yourself a 1990 BMW 535i.

@100,000 miles: $5000.

Most dependable car on the planet.

JMO, but I'd suggest staying away from anything with that many miles, as well as European cars (which generally require more expensive parts). I'd have no qualms about driving a car I had owned for many years with that many miles, but you never know with other people. I'd look for something with around 50-60k

Yeah leasing allows you to get a newer/nicer car that you probably could otherwise.
That too. Nicer new car with no mileage > old car with 80,000 miles (that's what you're usually looking at for under $10k).

My recommendation was based on the assumption that money was tight for him.

Leasing doesn't sound like a good idea with his loan plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
RE the whole leasing debate: a lot of people argue that leasing is silly in the sense that you're paying interest to "borrow" a car that you don't even keep after the time is up, but lets be real here - are you really going to want to keep the same car for more than a few years anyway? Most people like to get a new vehicle every few years if they can, so I think it's even sillier to pay more to buy a car that you're likely not going to keep for much longer than if you had leased it...

To be honest, I don't really know anyone who does this. I've had my car for 6 years and plan on keeping it through med school.

That too. Nicer new car with no mileage > old car with 80,000 miles (that's what you're usually looking at for under $10k).

There are plenty of vehicles to choose from with around 40-60k miles on them in that price range. These are among the first few options after doing a quick autotrader search: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

I would highly advise you to buy a used acura or honda. I have bought used, both brands, and they are great. They last forever, are cheep to maintain, reliable, and get good millage. Don't lease if you don't have to.

I mean all of this is kind of moot without any kind of financial range in mind. However, I personally think a lease is always a bad idea. Better to purchase, IMO. Always remember that you'll be paying insurance, maintenance, and gas on top of the payment too, so you need to budget for that as well. You can't just get the cheapest liability coverage either if you lease/finance a car. The lender will have limits.

To be honest, I don't really know anyone who does this. I've had my car for 6 years and plan on keeping it through med school.

My parents always did this. We would buy new cars, keep them until the warranty ran out, then get something new. I guess it depends on what's important to you. My parents would rather drive a fairly nice car all the time than buy tons of new clothes, eat out, or go on fancy vacations.

I have also bought 2 new cars myself. However, I'm not on loans and worked before starting school. My family gets employee pricing on GM vehicles too.

Don't lease if you don't have to.
Eh...you're gonna have to buy a fairly inexpensive car if you want the payments to be manageable on student loans.

Man, what's with all the lease hating? Do you guys have money coming out of every orifice or something?

Eh...you're gonna have to buy a fairly inexpensive car if you want the payments to be manageable on student loans.

Man, what's with all the lease hating? Do you guys have money coming out of every orifice or something?

In an ideal world, with unlimited monthly income, buying is generally a better financial decision in most cases. But when you're monthly limited, things get tricky.

So I can't just take out an extra $15k for med school to buy up a good used car? =(

In an ideal world, with unlimited monthly income, buying is generally a better financial decision in most cases. But when you're monthly limited, things get tricky.

So I can't just take out an extra $15k for med school to buy up a good used car? =(

I don't know where that $15K would come from upfront. You can only take out the cost of attendance for your school, which is determined by the financial aid office.

You could live within the budget and pay payments though over time. That means you'd probably have to cut back on other stuff to make sure you could afford the car too. With a $15K car though, you're looking at $250/month payments at 72 mos with a fairly low interest rate.

With 15K you could buy a good NEW car. Where in the heck are you coming from?

Cars depreciate extremely quickly, and a good chunk of that depreciation is just the process of driving it off the dealership lot. This is why buying a used car and reselling it as a used car is generally a much better financial decision than buying a new car and reslling it as a used car.

Anything you pay with loans now will take 3X more to pay back. So ask yourself whether it's really worth it to pay more to ride in style (better car, lease so you can have a different car every couple of years), or to pay a lot less to ride in a little less style.

If your last name is Gates and your father's first name is Bill, I'm guessing this question wouldn't be here. I strongly recommend buying used.

Why get a NEW car when you don't NEED a new car. Get a certified pre-owned if you're worried about getting a lemon. But as a poor med student, the last thing you need is a new car.
Leasing 9 times outta 10 isn't the best call. Why pay a 3 year lease on a new car when you could probably get a used car with similar or lower monthly payments and at the end of 3 years you still have A car. Live luxuriously once you're making money. While you're in school, live realistically.

No matter what you decide, you're going to either have to take out extra money on top of school loans or make some major cuts in other parts of your budget since schools will on;y give you loans up to the average COA which usually doesn't include car payments.

I advise against buying used cars. My family bought couple used cars before, and there's ALWAYS some kinds of problems with them. You're forever having to take them to auto shops to get them fixed and checked over. I think for med students, leasing a car would be a great option, lots of flexibility.

If you HAVE to buy used, then I'd guess Honda Accord, as these practically never break down.

you could buy a reliable car for under a grand, especially if you are near a metro area (holler at people that work at garages)

they break down once in a while, and it could be dangerous, but live a little

I advise against buying used cars. My family bought couple used cars before, and there's ALWAYS some kinds of problems with them. You're forever having to take them to auto shops to get them fixed and checked over. I think for med students, leasing a car would be a great option, lots of flexibility.

If you HAVE to buy used, then I'd guess Honda Accord, as these practically never break down.

Not true - we buy mostly used cars and never had a problem. Do you buy from a dealer or an auction?

Not true - we buy mostly used cars and never had a problem. Do you buy from a dealer or an auction?

Dealer. Maybe it's only the cars that our family buys, who knows.

If you don't know how to check a used car, make friends with your mechanic, buy him a burger and take him with you shopping.

So...your family sucks at buying cars? I've bought nothing BUT used, never had a problem. Oh yeah, they were all American too. Go figure.

Another thing to consider re: leasing is how much you drive/yr. Probably won't be that much, seeing as you'll be spending the majority of your time studying, but if you're going to be commuting to school, your yearly mileage might be something to think about. The penalties can get REALLY steep if you go over your established limit.

I just saw a commercial for a Hyundai that the dealer's selling NEW for 9 grand w/ a 100k mile warranty. I dunno if that includes seats or a steering wheel, but if you're looking for an A-->B car, how can you possibly beat that?

So...your family sucks at buying cars? I've bought nothing BUT used, never had a problem. Oh yeah, they were all American too. Go figure.

Another thing to consider re: leasing is how much you drive/yr. Probably won't be that much, seeing as you'll be spending the majority of your time studying, but if you're going to be commuting to school, your yearly mileage might be something to think about. The penalties can get REALLY steep if you're going over your established limit.

I just saw a commercial for a Hyundai that the dealer's selling NEW for 9 grand w/ a 100k mile warranty. I dunno if that includes seats or a steering wheel, but if you're looking for an A-->B car, how can you possibly beat that?

I'm saying from my experience, I've had troubles with used cars, and that leasing seems to be a better option. Everyone has their own experiences with it.

Also, the benefit of buying a car is that when you are ready for a new one, you can trade that one in and at least get some benefit. The same is not true of leasing.

Last edited:
I had to buy a car after my old one got stolen right after I graduated from college ('05). I went on CarSoup, found a '98 Honda Civic for about $5000. Paid off my 3 yr loan in 2 years. Had about 110,000 miles when I bought, over 150,000 now and still runs great. Only have had to change the spark plugs and PVC joint so far (other than fixing random things from when other people ran into it!).

Why would you even need a brand new car for medical school? Just get something that you can drive around for awhile and save the money for food or fun!

Fwiw, I leased a brand new car, pay 180 bucks a month, it's a great car, big enough so I carried most of my crap when I moved to school (I would have had to buy a shoebox if I'd tried to pay the same amount for a used car, and it probably wouldn't have made it through a 13 hour drive). It was the best decision for me at the time. I put a lot down cause I had saved a bunch, and I don't use it much because I walk to school. When I graduate and I have an income, I'll buy a car and keep it. For now, there's no reason to pay more. Chances are when I can actually afford a decent car I won't want to have a 15 year old Ford or something (which is what I would have gotten if I'd wanted to pay 180 bucks a month to buy) so I'll buy a new one anyway.

$600 for room and board? does that include food? anyway, i just bought a new car ($260.00/mo + $30.00 insurance) and it can be done if you're very frugal. our school factors in $2500.00/semester for transportation

Before I ask this, let me first say I have no idea how financial aid for med school works, but I'm slowly learning. I have been financially dependent throughout undergrad, but med school will see me going financially independent. Right now I have less than 1K in the bank and I know I will need a car for med school. If med schools don't allow you to partition money towards a new vehicle, where do you get the starting cash to buy used or lease or do all the things discussed in this thread?

I don't see how leasing is a good deal in any circumstance. You don't own anything at the end of a lease. You're essentially paying for the right/ability to drive a car. Leasing plays into the wonderful desire of our culture to have whatever we want without being able to afford it, as, in most cases, you're paying to "have" something that you wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.

Well, like I said, that car I'm leasing will be about $7500 cheaper at the end of the lease. It's more like having what I can't afford so I can afford it later.

Before I ask this, let me first say I have no idea how financial aid for med school works, but I'm slowly learning. I have been financially dependent throughout undergrad, but med school will see me going financially independent. Right now I have less than 1K in the bank and I know I will need a car for med school. If med schools don't allow you to partition money towards a new vehicle, where do you get the starting cash to buy used or lease or do all the things discussed in this thread?
go to the bank and get a car loan on top of your student loans

Dealer. Maybe it's only the cars that our family buys, who knows.

There's your problem. Never buy used cars from dealers. It's rare that you get your money's worth when buying used cars from dealers.

A lease is identical to a purchase with borrowed money, with the added feature of having an agreed value and repurchase at the end of the lease. Small features of a lease or purchase agreement may vary from one to the next, but the concepts are the same. If you were to compute a purchase/resale with the same facts as any given lease, you'd get the same payment.

Except when the dealers are running special deals, the embedded interest rate of a lease is usually higher (more expensive for the buyer) because it often doesn't need to be disclosed like a loan rate does.

Many school campuses and downtown locations tend to be not so safe places for cars. Better to have something older to attract less attention and to worry less about when the inevitable damage occurs.

With 15K you could buy a good NEW car. Where in the heck are you coming from?

with 15k you can get a base civic or fit or whatever. Plus then you take the new car depreciation hit. A certified used or 6 years old (not cert) would have no major depreciation hit and give better features, size, etc. There's almost no reason to buy a new car when you're significantly financially limited.

I thought, for some reason, that travel budget expenses included if you needed to buy a car, but obviously I haven't read into med school financial aid all that much. (I have full tuition scholarship for undergrad, so I haven't dealt with it for undergrad, either)

Well, like I said, that car I'm leasing will be about $7500 cheaper at the end of the lease. It's more like having what I can't afford so I can afford it later.

I can see how it would be the only choice for your current situation, where Mom and Dad aren't helping and you need a reliable car fast.

Haha this thread is so timely for me. I'm having the worst luck with cars, with the worst timing. My trusty old clunker that I used from high school all the way through undergrad decided to go up in flames (literally), about 2 months ago, and I'm borrowing my dad's car right now (cuz he's a home-body)...but I'm gonna have to give it back someday. So in my situation, I am gonna have to get something for med school....and I've been going around in circles with the whole lease, buy, buy new, buy used, blah blah. There's so much you have to consider...the total cost of ownership is way more than just your monthly payments--it's your gas, your maintenance costs, your insurance--and these things can vary widely depending on what you choose. And figure that anyone in their right mind wont be changing vehicles during med school, so you're going to have to hang on to the thing for a little while, which means you want something that won't kill you in maintenance cost or depreciate horribly. Right now, I'm leaning towards a low-mileage pre-owned honda or something...the things are dependable as hell, and the civic has the lowest true-cost-to-own and the best residual value of any car in a med student's price range. Just my two-cents :D. Although, the idea of having to take out even more loans makes me nauseous...if I had a choice, I definitely would not be shopping for cars right before med school.

Just wanted to mention a couple of things since a lot of people have thrown around phrases like "I'll take out more loans" or "I'll take out X instead of Y".

Y'all haven't had to deal with the financial aid mess yet, which is why you probably don't know the deets, so I figured I'd mention this since it was a surprise to me last year when I did the whole financial aid thing.

First of all, the "cost of attendance" that the school quotes is NON-NEGOTIABLE. That is absolutely the max amount of money you can get through the school. You can request less (I'd recommend that you wait until second semester to take out less money than they predict though, just so you know how much you really need to spend per semester), but you can't ask for more. The package you'll get, with grants, various types of loans, etc, will only arrive to that number and no more.

That money BY LAW cannot include car payments. There is definitely a "transportation" amount in there, but it's extremely variable depending on where you go to school (for us I think it was only 200 or 250 a month), so if you're going to be maxing out your housing budget and your food budget for the month, you MUST remain within the transportation budget they give you. If you are buying a new car, and your insurance is high, and you'll be driving a lot and spending a lot of money on gas, tough. The more you need for your car, the more you'll have to take from your housing budget or food. They won't give you extra money cause you're buying a car. Again, the cost of attendance is capped.

IF you absolutely need more money than they're letting you get, you can try looking for a private loan. However, those tend to have very high interest rates, tend to not be as lenient as far as paying less during residency (or not at all) and honestly, there are VERY FEW around, and the ones that there are generally want an excellent credit score, so parent cosigners would probably be handy (if they have a good credit score...the economy has not been kind to anyone). But either way, again, there are very few of these private loans around nowadays.

So, in summary,

1) Once you've figured out where you're going to school, look at the cost of attendance budget and how it's broken down. Ask current students about housing in the area and if their housing budget is enough. Think about stuff like: do you want to live alone ($), do you have dietary restrictions ($), do you have pets ($), do you want a bigger place ($), etc. How close do you need to live to school in order to be efficient? I knew that I wanted to live as close to school as possible because I study in the library and come home late. That had to be factored into my budget right away. Once you've made these determinations, look at the housing around the school and calculate roughly how much you'll be spending on living expenses. BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF. If you only managed to convince yourself once every two months to go to the uber-cheap fresh food market at the crack of dawn on a sunday in college, you won't do it once you're in med school, so don't tell yourself that you'll spend less on food cause you'll put in the effort for the first time ever. If you have expensive tastes as far as, say, shampoo (guilty!), that won't disappear overnight. THEN look at transportation costs within your COA and figure out whether you have room to take some money from your housing and food budget.

2) Once you've figured out your ACTUAL car budget and have broken it down into insurance, gas (again, dependent on how close/far you want to be from school, whether the hospitals you'll be working in are on the same campus or on disparate parts of the city, how often you'll be driving, etc) and all that good stuff, what you have left is what you can spend on buying a car.

3) IF you're totally screwed, look into private loans, but count on the fact that you'll almost definitely need a cosigner with a very well-established credit history and a great score, and think long and hard about whether it's worth it to get into more debt with crappier insurance rates.

Last edited:
I have owned several used cars and one new car. My new was a hybrid and my intent is to have it for at least a decade.

One thing I have found; if you can drive a stick, it may be easier to find excellent cars under blue book value. I have found that dealers will take these as a trade in, based partly on blue book value, then discover that they are hard to move off the lot. My husband and I have both acquired cars this way, often at 1/2 off the reasonable blue book value.

Personally, if I couldn't have recouped the extra cost of my hybrid vs the used vehicles I was looking for via the reduced cost of fuel (for the driving I was doing) and the tax credit I would never have bought a new vehicle.