Importance of enough time before starting school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillychemistry

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone who has been through this has any advice for me! I am trying to plan for school starting, and am deciding how much time I need before school starts to do the things I want to do. I have been admitted to School A, that starts early July, and am on the WL at Schools B, C, D, where I would attend over school A. They all start start mid August.

School A starts in July. I have wanted to go traveling for 5-6 weeks before school starts for a long time. I have saved up for the trip and always told myself that I would go before school. I am not sure how much time after traveling I’m gonna need to recuperate/get organized. Right now, assuming I am going to school A, I am planning to leave my job in a month (end of April)

My only worry is i am in the middle of a project at work, so I’d like to stay as long as I can, but if I plan as if I’m going to School B, C, or D, where I am on the WL, and end up going to School A, I’ll only have 10 days after returning from my trip to get packed and move to school.

If anyone can give some insight into how much time they felt they needed to get organized to move across the country? I know it’s a individual but just wondering if anyone has any insight. I am thinking I should plan to attend school A and if I am left with a free month I can just be at home with my family for that month. However, it would mean leaving my job soon and potentially upsetting my PI (who knows I have gotten into school, but have not given him notice yet).

Any insight or perspective would be great! Thanks everyone :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your plan should only be based on current knowledge. Plan to move for school A and base your extracurricular plans around that. As of right now you don’t have any other acceptance. Don’t try to count eggs before they hatch, it’s a waste of your time and energy.

Reactions: 5 users
I know nothing about waitlist stuff, but as someone who has moved a lot and quit plenty of jobs:

1) If you have your own apartment and furniture, and you’re going to move those things cross-country yourself, I’d personally plan on 2x the drive time plus a week to settle in. However, this kind of thing can be rushed if you’re willing to have a chaotic first week of school. If you’re not moving furniture, it’s a lot easier. USPS Ground Advantage is often the cheapest way to ship household supplies (media mail for books) ahead of you.

2) Does the work project mean that much to you, or are you afraid of disappointing your PI? If they’re upset by you quitting a month “early,” that’s their problem. I feel like we need to start laying down those boundaries now…

For reference, I also quit my research job in order to spend time with family and travel before med school. My PI was over the moon for me and gave me a set of hiking poles for backpacking :) I don’t regret quitting at all, even though I liked my job. I feel super lucky that I could afford some time off / working odd jobs, and I might not have this kind of freedom for many years.

Reactions: 1 user