Anesthesia programs' Step 1 Averages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ymgc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

There didn't seem to be any good threads about this so I though i'd ask current MS4's and residents: What are the Step 1 averages at your programs/places you've interviewed? The only place that disclosed this information for me was Northwestern with 225. I'm just curious, and don't mean to turn this into a copro vs. plank -style pissing contest.

Members don't see this ad.

I think 225 is about right for most programs, but I would imagine some of the top tier programs carry higher averages. I have not had many programs disclose the average Step 1 scores of applicants or residents.

At Stanford, I was told that the median Step 1 score for the 2009 entering class was 238. At Brigham & Women's, I was told that most of their applicants had Step 1 scores that were at the 99th percentile (i.e. Step 1 score equals or exceeds 236).

There's a website below that indexes average Step 1/2 scores for many anesthesiology residency programs, but I'm not sure how recent / trustworthy the information is. Caveat emptor.

http://anesthesiology.matchapplicants.com/

Members don't see this ad :)
At Stanford, I was told that the median Step 1 score for the 2009 entering class was 238. At Brigham & Women's, I was told that most of their applicants had Step 1 scores that were at the 99th percentile (i.e. Step 1 score equals or exceeds 236).

There's a website below that indexes average Step 1/2 scores for many anesthesiology residency programs, but I'm not sure how recent / trustworthy the information is. Caveat emptor.

http://anesthesiology.matchapplicants.com/

Thanks for the link, checkov. I'm familiar with the site, but can't imagine it's accurate since only a small fraction of applicants make a profile there. It's also difficult to compare year to year, especially with upward trends over recent years. Good luck, friend

-ymgc

Hey all,

There didn't seem to be any good threads about this so I though i'd ask current MS4's and residents: What are the Step 1 averages at your programs/places you've interviewed? The only place that disclosed this information for me was Northwestern with 225. I'm just curious, and don't mean to turn this into a copro vs. plank -style pissing contest.

Where are you getting 225 from? In the packet NW gave there is a chart with percentile distributions that says the 2009 average Step 1 is 235 for categorical and 231 for advanced.

Shishka is right, Northwestern avg is definitely not 225. According to their packet:

2007: 231
2008: 234
2009: 235

I was told at NYU the entering 2009 class had an average Step 1 score in the mid 230's.

Sorry, Just double-checked the packet and you guys are right about northwestern. I just 'misremembered' :)

When I did interviews this year at Penn State I was amazed at how high board scores have become. Most of the applicants had above a 240. It may have been that I had an unusal group however, seems like anesthesia keeps getting more and more competitive.

The only program that gave me scores was San Antonio...if I remember right, last year's class had averages
step 1 - 230
step 2 around 236 I think

Any other programs people have ideas about for Step 1 Averages?

When I did interviews this year at Penn State I was amazed at how high board scores have become. Most of the applicants had above a 240. It may have been that I had an unusal group however, seems like anesthesia keeps getting more and more competitive.

I interviewed at Penn State and I scored a 222 on step 1, so I am thinking you had an unusual group. I think anesthesia competitiveness level has been increasing over the past several years but there are many programs out there that have residents scoring in 220s for boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at Penn State and I scored a 222 on step 1, so I am thinking you had an unusual group. I think anesthesia competitiveness level has been increasing over the past several years but there are many programs out there that have residents scoring in 220s for boards.

I guess. I was pretty amazed reading through the applications and thought, that I never would have matched with my 230.

I guess. I was pretty amazed reading through the applications and thought, that I never would have matched with my 230.

It is a matter of perspective. If you are only applying to the top tier programs, then your 230 might not have matched. There are many middle tier programs that will give you just as quality of training but don't require such great boards scores.

the mid tier programs here in chicago tend to want averages close to 225 and the upper 220's, but from what PD's tell us on rotations that number is going up i guess. those that are interviewing at loyola and masonic are in the 220's , and those at northwestern or u of c are in the mid to upper 230's.

Stroger is a crapshoot, they seem to love FMG's with 240's, but will occasionally take someone with a sub 205..haven't quite figured them out.

Dude, did anyone hear from Cook County...I fit the FMG-board score profile but did not hear a peep from them....

Dude, did anyone hear from Cook County...I fit the FMG-board score profile but did not hear a peep from them....

in my expeirence they're more fond of FMG's from asia than IMG's, but good luck either way. with a board score that solid you will end up somewhere surely. :thumbup:

I got a 234 on step 1 and was told to look elsewhere for a specialty since I'm a carribbean student. Now I'm not sure what to believe...

I got a 234 on step 1 and was told to look elsewhere for a specialty since I'm a carribbean student. Now I'm not sure what to believe...

apply broadly if you want anesthesia. i dont think that will work for upper level or many mid level programs, but the lower level community programs it might. it's a great score, there are just so many american grads breaking that barrier and vying for gas nowadays. - i only say that because the average gas applicant from the states is in the mid 220's to mid 230's, and rads, ent, derm, etc are way beyond that. maybe ask grads from ur school who matched where they applied and what their stats were like?

Im a caribbean grad...applied this year. If you want to, PM me for details, I can let you know what I applied with and what I got. There are a few things I could have done differently to ramp up my chances but let me know if you want any pointers or advice. Hopefully I match so that the advice is actually from someone that matters, ha.

Damn, where are Step 1 scores going these days?! I heard the average Step 1 score overall is now a 222!!!!!! WTF? Wasn't it a 216 just 3 years ago?

Damn, where are Step 1 scores going these days?! I heard the average Step 1 score overall is now a 222!!!!!! WTF? Wasn't it a 216 just 3 years ago?

i don't know if the increasing amount and the quality of resources (DIT + FA + USMLEworld + Goljan Rapid Review seem to be the template these days for step studying) have figured out step 1's secret, but i'm a 2nd year carib student and a significant amount of people in the class ahead of me have scored > 230/240 and even > 250s. this might also be the reason why the USMLE increased their passing score to 188.