Neurology textbook for subinternship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey! I think I actually asked this question in a similar manner before, but I can't find the thread so I'm just making a new one...
Basically I've done three months of neurology rotations, and I start a subinternship in it next month. I was wondering what textbook would be the best to buy for the upcoming month, and also to prepare for residency? I'd heard "Neurological Differential Diagnosis" is a really good book to have, but the version by the author that was recommended to me was printed in 1995 (seems outdated). Anyone have any recommendations? Any books you feel are a must-have for a subinternship and/or residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Though outdated, the book you mention is still the best primer for Neurology. It's written by an old salty British Neurologist and is chalk full of clinical pearls. It's an easy read with good clinical cases and great pictures.

Another book I would recommend at that stage is "Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases" by Blumenfeld. Reading the beginning you will feel like it's too basic even for a med student, but it quickly gets into the nitty gritty details and presents it in a way that's easy to digest. You will continue to refer to this book often through your residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup: another vote for the Blumenfeld.

Also heard some good stuff about Mayo's Essential Neurology, but it hasn't been mentioned much on the forums here so perhaps others don't agree!

Awesome...thank you guys! I went ahead and ordered the Neurological differential diagnosis book. I was trying to get thru the neurology section of Harrison's, but that's pretty detailed and might not be clinically relevant enough....feel free to keep adding opinions on here!

While I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum and it seems like there a few solid choices out there to get a med student through a neurology rotation (Blumenfeld, MGH Neuro, etc.), I was wondering if the neuro section in Step Up to Medicine, Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, and the notes I've taken from the neuro section of my UWorld questions could get a soon-to-be PM&R applicant through 4 weeks or would that still be too basic? Sorry about the unbelievably ling run-on sentence and thanks in advance for your input!

While I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum and it seems like there a few solid choices out there to get a med student through a neurology rotation (Blumenfeld, MGH Neuro, etc.), I was wondering if the neuro section in Step Up to Medicine, Clinical Neuroanatomy Made Ridiculously Simple, and the notes I've taken from the neuro section of my UWorld questions could get a soon-to-be PM&R applicant through 4 weeks or would that still be too basic? Sorry about the unbelievably ling run-on sentence and thanks in advance for your input!

I got thru my first Neuro rotation on First Aid and looking over some notes for school. Don't worry, you'll be fine ;o). Know the treatments for MS and Parkinson's. I hate to say it, but don't even worry if you don't know anything about seizures yet (you should probably know focal vs. generalized and some of the major meds for treatment). Most importantly, KNOW HOW TO DO A NEURO EXAM. This is what preceptors hammered into me...Here's what I usually would do:
Mental Status (A&Ox3 etc)
Cranial Nerves
Motor (strength, reflexes)
Sensation (if there's a deficit, break out a tuning fork or pin if you have them)
Coordination (Finger to nose, Heel to knee to shin, romberg's)
**GAIT (this is the MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THE NEURO EXAM). Have them walk a bit, walk heel to toe in a straight line, looking for asymmetry, incoordination, imbalance, and specific clues to disease (i.e. 'en-bloc turns' or 'shuffling gait' for Parkinsons).

Hope that helps!

**GAIT (this is the MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF THE NEURO EXAM).

I wouldn't say that. Everything that builds up to your differential is important.
Sometimes gait is just not relevant, at least not in the acute setting. For example, there's no need to let an aphasic, hemiparalytic patient walk; it wouldn't be very patient friendly either.

And remember, the anamnesis is often more important than the physical examination. Lots of complaints aren't found with examination: TIA's, headaches (even SAH's), seizures etc.

Does anyone know the difference between these two that I've just searched in Amazon:

-Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases, Second Edition by Hal Blumenfeld (Paperback - Feb. 28, 2010)
Buy new: $76.98

-Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases by Hal Blumenfeld (Paperback - Mar. 2010)
Buy new: $114.20

I'm going to by the new edition of this book but I'm kind a confused...
Thanks,

Sorry, my friend, I cannot tell the difference between the two based on what you presented. However, Dr. Blumenfeld's book is outstanding. Amazon can be difficult to assess...does one of them have pen markings or highlighting or something? You might want to check your university bookstore or something first. I don't know the difference between the first and second editions of the book, but I doubt they are massively different.

Does anyone know the difference between these two that I've just searched in Amazon:

-Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases, Second Edition by Hal Blumenfeld (Paperback - Feb. 28, 2010)
Buy new: $76.98

-Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases by Hal Blumenfeld (Paperback - Mar. 2010)
Buy new: $114.20

I'm going to by the new edition of this book but I'm kind a confused...
Thanks,

:mad:
I bought the previous edition just last year - didn't know there was a new one coming!!! AAAARGH!!!!

The previous one is amazing though - I can't imagine there's much to imporve on?

(Get the cheaper one, btw. If you google the ISBN of the other one you'll see it ust be a mistake)

@ Typhoongator
& Bluntdissector

The former was the right one, so I went with that(the cheaper)

Thanks guys,