Working out in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldawg32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you dental students lift weights/work out? Is it difficult to go to the gym 3-4 times a week with all the work/time in the clinic? Is it difficult to maintain a clean diet? I ask this because I strength train (mostly squat, bench, and deadlift) 3-4 times a week and would like to continue this regimen (including diet) in dental school. Will it be possible?

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible. I manage to train 4-5 days a week. The key is to have a good schedule. There is always somewhere you can find some time. Let's say it's a break you take in the evening, or between two classes. If you can't have 1 or 2 hours straight to train, study during the small breaks so when the day is over, you train before going home to eat and study.

Diet is a little bit harder, I do my groceries every friday and I buy the right food. What is hard, is to prepare every meal. I don't have time to prepare all my diners so I buy some food on the campus. Most of the time it's as healthy as I would have cooked. I also have a bottle with protein powder in it, in case my meal is lacking.

If you are prepared, you will make it. I like working out after a full day of pre-clinic.

I'd like to know this too. I'm thinking of just doing two weight sessions a week and one or two HIIT cardio exercises to maintain weight.

Members don't see this ad :)
same here....how is it during clinicals? I'd be happy if i could get some quality gym time at least 3 times a week

How many of you dental students lift weights/work out? Is it difficult to go to the gym 3-4 times a week with all the work/time in the clinic? Is it difficult to maintain a clean diet? I ask this because I strength train (mostly squat, bench, and deadlift) 3-4 times a week and would like to continue this regimen (including diet) in dental school. Will it be possible?
Anything is possible. Time management.

In the last ASDA, I believe, a D3 is running training to qualify for Olympic marathon. He has completed several in his dental career.

I typically work out at least three times a week. I used to do a five day split but that was requiring too much time, so switched over to a Starting Strength 3x5 routine that fits nicely. Now that the chaos of 1st year is subsiding I will be starting Crossfit football's workouts.

As far as diet goes best thing I did was utilize the paleo diet. Without getting into technicalities if I only keep healthy food stocked I will only eat healthy food. Also costco is your best friend.

I'm a second year and I used to lift 3-4 times/week not including cardio days. This semester has been especially busy so I don't get time to work out as much as I'd like to but I do what I can. First year wasn't as bad and I could stick to a regular routine. The diet is definitely possible. I usually make large portions (usually on Sunday) and ration them out for a couple of days which gets me out of cooking for a few days.

how about those who are in their clinicals already?

I use to lift 5 days/week, now I only do about 4, but I do more cardio now since I'm sitting on my butt 8 hours a day in class. It's manageable, I go to the gym right after class so I can get home and start studying by 6 or 7. Preparing food is an issue. For the most part I eat healthy but I end up eating out a lot for lunch. I'm not talking fast food burgers but it still adds up in cost, and maybe is a little more calorie heavy than if I packed a lunch. Overall just manage your time and you can get it all done.

During the clinical years it'll depend on your school, but you could do it, especially if you're concerned only with getting your DDS/DMD instead of great grades. My 4th year I had all the time in the world, especially after I got into specialty. I got pretty jacked, at least for me.

How bout music? What are you guys listening to while you workout?? Personally...I love the metal (metallica, pantera, devil wears prada, all that remains, machine head ect.)

trust me on this. you will have more time than you can ever imagine in dental school. It is a joke. before the first set of finals everyone freaks out and studies their ass off and then when they realize they all made it, it becomes about as hard as undergrad was. I remember what my mentality was before starting, "ok man, its time to buckle down, no more of your shennanigans". Lets just stay there is still plenty of time for mischief. Now if you want to be an oral surgeon, that might be a different story... :)

I'm a second year and I used to lift 3-4 times/week not including cardio days. This semester has been especially busy so I don't get time to work out as much as I'd like to but I do what I can. First year wasn't as bad and I could stick to a regular routine. The diet is definitely possible. I usually make large portions (usually on Sunday) and ration them out for a couple of days which gets me out of cooking for a few days.

Ditto. 2nd year is rough at any dental school (I'm in a Canadian one). I used to bust out 5-6 days a week last semester, but this semester I'm lucky if I get 2 sessions in.

trust me on this. you will have more time than you can ever imagine in dental school. It is a joke. before the first set of finals everyone freaks out and studies their ass off and then when they realize they all made it, it becomes about as hard as undergrad was. I remember what my mentality was before starting, "ok man, its time to buckle down, no more of your shennanigans". Lets just stay there is still plenty of time for mischief. Now if you want to be an oral surgeon, that might be a different story... :)

Gentledental, that makes me feel pretty good... I keep telling myself that now's where I really have to buckle down. The thing is, most of us wouldn;t even been in this forum if we were bad students...

I think I find that I "play to the level of the competition" when it comes to school work, and I'll hopefully see myself doing what is needed in dental school. I'm also a little older (31) and much more mature than the majority of you! :laugh:

And if you're lying, thanks for that too... I'll be sure to pass it on.