LECOM Post Bacc- 2009-2010 applicants/class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrenchToast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! - I don't see a thread for the 2009-2010 applicants/class, so I'm starting one.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I completed my application and sent everything to LECOM on the 20th of March. My admissions status under the portal system for some reason still reads as the following:

" You should receive an e-mail within 2 days with a user name and invitation to apply for the Postbac program. If not, contact [email protected]"

Is anyone else having this issue?

That is not normal and I would probably contact someone from admissions at LECOM to see what the problem is?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much, they take awhile to update the website, though not a bad idea to call!

I gave them a few calls throughout the past week but I can never get through to an admissions officer. I've left several messages and they have yet to get back to me. I suppose my next move will be sending an email. Besides this issue, have any of you heard back from LECOM? How does the admissions process exactly work? Do they call you in for an interview or do they simply just send you a acceptance letter through the mail? I wish the Florida campus had the post bac program.

No interview. Monitor your application status on their candidate portal and routinely try to call. They are notoriously slow on e-mail so your best bet is simply to keep trying to get through and talk to an admissions rep. If they make a decision on your application it will be something along the lines of "the admissions committee has made a decision on your application. You will be notified in the mail within 3 weeks."

No interview. Monitor your application status on their candidate portal and routinely try to call. They are notoriously slow on e-mail so your best bet is simply to keep trying to get through and talk to an admissions rep. If they make a decision on your application it will be something along the lines of "the admissions committee has made a decision on your application. You will be notified in the mail within 3 weeks."

I gave LECOM a call today and I finally got through to an admissions officer. He fixed the issue on the portal site and now the following reads as my admissions status: "We received your Postbac application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made." Thanks a million jslo85.

no problem it's one of the big reasons why these boards exist anyway. I think the first round of decisions were made either yesterday or today and sent out but the class size is around 60ish and word from last year is that they continue to except up till June or so or until it is full (aka. periodic rolling acceptance).

Have you heard from someone who has got a decision (or at least the promise of one)? If so I am crazy jealous, I check my stupid portal everyday hoping for something, but so far......nada! If you have heard from someone though of some movement, that can only be good news!

Have you heard from someone who has got a decision (or at least the promise of one)? If so I am crazy jealous, I check my stupid portal everyday hoping for something, but so far......nada! If you have heard from someone though of some movement, that can only be good news!

Well, that would actually be myself haha. I apparently have a decision made on my account which the candidate portal won't tell me what it is, only that "the admissions committee has made a decision on your application. You will recieve notification by mail within 30 days". So yeah, I didn't want to actually say anything till I at least knew whether it was an acceptance, waiting list or rejection.

You really don't need to check it everyday Sparkey. I was notified by e-mail of the status change between "pending" and "review" but had to check myself to find out a "decision had been made". Hopefully I receive a nice response in the upcoming weeks so it will be at least one less program to worry about :(

Haha, sorry for outing you! Well I geuss its goog news they have started reviewing, I just hope they haven't got to mine yet, instead of them waitlisting me or something to that effect. As for checking it constantly....Im a little OCD at times :) It is my way. I hope you get some good news!

Hi Everyone,

Im currently a postbac student at LECOM.. The admission committee usually takes awhile to respond back with the acceptance letter. I applied in Dec 2008 and I got a acceptance letter May 2009. Just be patience.. you all with get a letter..

N-E-Ways.. I'll be finishing up the program end of April and I am looking to sublease my apt starting MAY 2010. The apt is rt across LECOM Main Campus. Its a 2bedroom and 1 full bath apt. Its owned by pastore. Its a great apt and its only a yr old. I live with a roommate.. She will be an MS1 at LECOM next yr. Send me a message, if anyone is interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

Im currently a postbac student at LECOM.. The admission committee usually takes awhile to respond back with the acceptance letter. I applied in Dec 2008 and I got a acceptance letter May 2009. Just be patience.. you all with get a letter..

N-E-Ways.. I'll be finishing up the program end of April and I am looking to sublease my apt starting MAY 2010. The apt is rt across LECOM Main Campus. Its a 2bedroom and 1 full bath apt. Its owned by pastore. Its a great apt and its only a yr old. I live with a roommate.. She will be an MS1 at LECOM next yr. Send me a message, if anyone is interested.

yeah i check my admissions status on lecom's portal system like 5 times a day and it still says im under review. if i get accepted to this post bac program i'll def consider check your place out. if you have photos then let me know so i can PM you my email address.

any good news guys?

Toast, Im still in the same boat as you, waiting for my file to say something other than "under review".......... I wish I was more patient! Anyone else out there who is applying?

Just relax.

If your status changed from "received all your materials... will begin review" to "under review" then it is only a matter of time before it IS reviewed.

Toast, Im still in the same boat as you, waiting for my file to say something other than "under review".......... I wish I was more patient! Anyone else out there who is applying?

yeah i cant sleep at all. im just constantly thinking about if i got in. the things we do for an education

No they do not and Tom Ross has not even been in his ofice all week as he was out recruiting. My letter was postmarked on the 26th of March and I got it a few days ago so expect at least 4+ days after candidate portal status changes.

i was reading up on last year's thread and it seems like majority of people get their acceptances in may. this is going to drive me crazy if i dont hear back from lecom in the next few days. my portal admission status still says

"We received your Postbac application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

I totally feel your pain! But, that being said, I think the best thing to do is just write off any chance of hearing anything before May. That way, if you hear something sooner, nice suprise, and if you don't hear till may, then at least you wont be agonizing as much everyday! I know this is easier said, but in the waiting game its all you got! I like this thread though, b/c its nice to know if other people are hearing anything or not, which means the adcom is working and will soon get to ours!

hey! i finally decided to register for this site, after creepin for the past few years :)

i applied for the lecom post-bacc program for this fall. my status just changed to: The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days. WOOT WOOT!

any one know that they are in and going to LECOM this fall for sure? any one from NYC?

I just got the same message! Good luck......

hey! i finally decided to register for this site, after creepin for the past few years :)

i applied for the lecom post-bacc program for this fall. my status just changed to: The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days. WOOT WOOT!

any one know that they are in and going to LECOM this fall for sure? any one from NYC?

Good luck. PM me in about a week and I should have a better idea of what I'm going to do but LECOM is one of the programs that I've been accepted to and considering heavily.

congrats! When did both of you apply to the program? my application status still says the following

" We received your Postbac application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

Thanks, thanks! I have been sending them my materials one by one since january or so, and my file was changed to "under review" on the 3rd of March. I dont think they started reviewing until recently though, so I dont think yours should take as long. They must have been through at least 2 cycles (wouldn't worry too much about that, based on older threads this is just the start of things so you are not in the weeds) because Jslo's status was obvioulsy changed a week or so before mine and sheetal's. That is good news for you though, b/c it means the adcom has started to move on these apps. , so yours should be soon!

Last edited:
My file has changed to under review without them receiving my transcripts. Anyone else have this happen? I'm not wondering if they are not using the transcripts I sent to the medical school, even though I was told I had to send a seperate set to the Post-Bac program. Well see I guess.

My file has changed to under review without them receiving my transcripts. Anyone else have this happen? I'm not wondering if they are not using the transcripts I sent to the medical school, even though I was told I had to send a seperate set to the Post-Bac program. Well see I guess.

Well if your post was a slight typo in that you are wondering if they are using/not using the transcripts sent to medical school then you can check at the admissions tab and click the folder to see what they have and do not have for the specific program you are applying for. If you do not have the required items, I would check with Tom Ross and get that sorted out because he has the authority/access to do so as the representative/director for the biomed program.

Anyway, changing to review is normal, it just means that your application has moved from the pending review section to the ones under review and within 24 hours to several days the admissions committee will make a decision with which your status should change to "the admissions committee has made a decision on your application. You will recieve a notice in the mail within 30 days."

Good luck.

status is still ""We received your Postbac application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

I think I'm going to call Tom and ask him whats going on. Any good news guys?

No letter yet, anybody else get thiers? It drives my bonkers that they don't tell you online!!!!

Mine took about a week, give or take a day.

I gave my own situation quite a bit of thought and I should be attending LECOM for the biomedical post-bacc this Fall. It.. is the best financial and practical choice all things considered even though I loved KCOM and the other schools I applied to. Sent in my deposit and will probably fly over there in the near future to look at houses/the school.

They should be sending a roommate list around later but I am open to the idea of sharing a place with another post-bacc student, male or female. I'm 24 y/o M, Asian from the Pacific NW and did my UG at UC Davis. PM me if interested within the month or two so I will have an idea of looking for a larger place or a studio for myself.

Last edited:
1. No, if past year's class was any indication, it is not too late. I'd call Tom Ross to make sure.

2. No idea for the program. MCAT scores usually expire for medical schools after 3 years so if you want to be eligible for the conditional acceptance without a glide year, I reason that you should have a working MCAT score before January.

3. I just used Interfolio and mailed them most of my letters and they used only 3 from what it looks like on admissions tab.

Last edited:
To my knowledge, the MCAT THX site will send all the scores that they have (old and new). For very outdated scores, I believe you need to fill out a MCAT additional scores report form to include those. The school itself may have their own policy whether they consider 3 or 4 year old scores as expired and as such will only look at the ones that qualify for them and ignore the others.

Last edited:
Has anyone gotten thier letter yet? I am starting to think its an urban legend........

Has anyone gotten thier letter yet? I am starting to think its an urban legend........

I wouldn't be surprised if you receive it today in the mail or tomorrow. Mine took at least a week from my status change. Let me know if you do and maybe we'll get to know each other in the fall.

nothing yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

If your portal status hasn't been changed to review yet, I wouldn't be waiting around for a snail mail letter. If it changes to review, you're about 2-3 weeks out from receiving anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if you receive it today in the mail or tomorrow. Mine took at least a week from my status change. Let me know if you do and maybe we'll get to know each other in the fall.

If your portal status hasn't been changed to review yet, I wouldn't be waiting around for a snail mail letter. If it changes to review, you're about 2-3 weeks out from receiving anything.

Yeah I don't know whats going on. It still says:

" We received your Postbac application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

Guys is this normal or should I be worried about this?

They haven't gotten to your application yet so your guess is as good as mine.

Anyway I figure to answer some questions/provide information about the program and the area for applicants and accepted students.

The LECOM biomedical program is 1 year and has a class size of roughly 60 or so students. This number includes the biomedical post-bacc students, the Masters of Science students as well as pharmacy post-bacc students as well as any MS1 students who have unsatisfactory grades during their first year, so the realistic number is closer to 40ish. Dress code is mandatory on campus grounds and for guys the standard is a dress shirt, tie and slacks/khakis and for girls this is more "lax" whatever that translates into. There is no water or food allowed in the buildings outside of the cafeteria. Yes this includes water. Attendance is also mandatory. Security is strict and you will need your ID/key card to gain enter the building. The curriculum for the biomedical students are taught by the Basic Core MS1 faculty for LECOM and include:

Cell Biology 2 units
Biochemistry 3 units
Physiology 4 units
Histology 1 unit
Genetics 1 unit
Microbiology 2 units
Medical Terminology 2 units

Anatomy 5 units
Immunology 1 unit
Virology 1 unit
Pathology 4 units
Pharmacology & Toxicology 3 units
Intro to Medicine 1 unit

There will also be some smaller group setting lectures to accustom students to the PBL modalities of instruction.

A 3.0+ in the program and a certain minimum MCAT are "high predictors" of acceptance for medical school in the fall. Successful candidates will have a choice of the 3 LECOM campuses (Erie, Seton Hill, Bradenton) as well as a choice of tracks (PBL, LDP and ISP depending on which campus you choose/qualify for). Bradenton reserved only 5 spots for this year's class though so the majority entered Erie and SH. Acceptances elsewhere included PCOM and WVCOM.

LECOM-E has expanded to a campus located 10 miles out from their main campus on Grandview. This is located near the bay and will house the biomedical program students/classes, the Masters students/classes and probably the PBL MS1 students as well. Some administrative offices will also be located here.

Housing is primarily found near the main campus though some students choose to live closer to the Bayfront campus. The popular store for grocery shopping is Wegmans which is located near the main campus as well as other amenities such as Barnes and Noble and Borders. There is also a large new gym/rec facility that is located 1-2 miles away from the main campus that is available to be used by all LECOM students.

Other things that may or may not interest people are pretty scarce. Erie is located 2 hours drive from Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh and has not much to do. For food I hear it's mostly pizza and wings though Indian, Thai and Japanese I have heard are "palatable" options should you choose to eat out. I am a huge fan of food in general =X. Mm.. 25 cent beer is what I hear but I find that hard to believe. Erie has its own airport and flights out tend to get cancelled on a pretty regular basis due to snow. Flying in is never really a problem but departing is sometimes an issue and if successful will involve making a stop at either Cleveland, Pittsburgh or another city before departing to your actual destination.

Erie is probably colder than most areas that people will come from. Snow is also prevalent but supposedly they are great at clearing the roads/parking lots and salting. Erie's own parking lot behind the school is cleared by 3 plows apparently. That's as much as I can think of as of now so if you have any questions, you can always PM or post here and I'll try to answer with my limited knowledge. I plan on visiting in June to find housing/take care of pre-matriculation paperwork/background checks/other matters.

Jslo, thanks for the post! There was alot of stuff in there I was unaware of, but it all sounds good! The mail has already come and gone so maybe I'll know tomorow, or maybe my mailman will be attending in my place!

Thank the Lord in heaven, I got my letter this morning!!!! Jslo lets go get some thai food this september!!

Hey congratulations!

I'll see you in the Fall

Thank the Lord in heaven, I got my letter this morning!!!! Jslo lets go get some thai food this september!!

Congrats! I'm still waiting to hear back. My status still says "" We received your Postbac application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

Hopefully I'll be able to join you two for some thai food this september

Congrats! I'm still waiting to hear back. My status still says "" We received your Postbac application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."

Hey have you gotten a chance to talk to Tom Ross yet? I would highly suggest it because I have been corresponding with some members on SDN who applied quite a bit later than you and are currently in the next "review" phase. If I read your posts correctly, you appiled far earlier yet still have the same default status message.

Might be worth checking out if you're that worried.

hey every one! i just got my letter a few days ago and am definitely going!

i couldn't find a facebook group for this year's class, so i'm going to take the liberty to make one right now...i guess that way we can maybe get to know each other before classes even begin (and by that i mean we will all probably facebook stalk each other!) it's ok, we all do it :)

good luck to every one who is still waiting. i will keep my fingers, toes, and limbs crossed!

Hey guys

I've been getting a few PMs with some frequently asked questions so I thought I would go ahead and answer them here so everyone else can see it and well.. not have to PM me every time to get them answered. Also some housing tips that other current medical students/post-baccs would like to pass on.

What is our class schedule like? There are conflicting times on the website and from other web pages.
- If last year and the years before were any indication, classes will be late in the afternoon from 5-8 PM.

Will we need to "dress up" even though classes are this late and it is at the Bayfront Campus?
- Yes. Anytime you wish to enter one of LECOM's campus buildings beside the new rec/wellness center, you must adhere to their dress code. The two campus buildings will close around midnight so this is unfortunate for those who wished to stay after hours to study.

-Please try and keep in mind that though the main campus is on Grandview, the biomedical program students, the M.S. program students, and PBL students are all taking classes at the Bayfront Campus. If you are planning on walking or biking to class, keep in mind if you choose to live around the main campus, it is about a 10 min drive to where we (biomedical class) will be taking classes.

- There are buses that will take you to campus if you do not wish to bring a car. However the one that drops you 2 blocks away from campus only comes around 3 times a day.

-Be careful where you park your cars if it's in the street or out in the open. In most cases that I've heard there is never any problem but petty crime seems to be an occasional occurrence.

Housing

- For apparently most of the housing in Erie, the universal pattern seems to be very thin walls. If you plan on being home much and studying there, it would probably be a good idea to avoid certain areas.

- Most places in Erie finding anything less than 1 year for lease terms is extremely hard. I only know of 2 that allow 3/6/9 months and they will charge pretty steep increases in rent for doing so.

- These links are ones that have received the most favorable reviews
http://www.malenodevelopment.com/shadow-pines/shadow-pines-overview.html
http://www.lovellplace.com/

Advice from current post bac/fall MS1

"2 pieces of advice about the postbac.

1. Get the physio book and start studying it NOW!

2. DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, move into the Granada apartments. All the horror stories you'll read about Granada are most definitely true...and I assure you, there are far more than you want to know. If you know anyone who's going to the postbac...STRONGLY advise them not to move into Granada as well...it's just not safe there."