LECOM Post Bacc- 2009-2010 applicants/class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm just going to copy and paste this from a previous post.

First of all, graduate certificate programs are everywhere including

http://graduate.umsl.edu/programs/certificates.html

http://www.gradschool.uky.edu/certificates.html

http://www.gradcerts.usf.edu/

http://www.umuc.edu/programs/grad/certificates/

"UMUC certificates are the ideal path for individuals who do not wish to pursue a master's degree or for those who already have one or more advanced degrees and wish to add to their credentials in their field. All of the courses in each certificate program earn graduate credits that can be applied toward the parallel master's degree program."

(again the last sentence supports-reiterates the first point I was making about the post-bac students and the Masters program)

Second, the admissions department at LECOM and Tom Ross are pretty adamant on telling you to fill out the coursework as graduate on AACOMAS when they are asked the question on how to designate it when filling out the primary.

Third, another example would be that VCU's CERT program is also structured as a 1 year with the option of going to two years (like LECOM) and this is clearly what they say on their website.

"The Pre-Medical Health Sciences Certificate Program (CERT) of Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine (SOM) is a one-year, graduate-level program for individuals seeking to enhance their qualifications for admission into professional school, including Medical, Dental, and Veterinary School. Students who complete the Certificate Program also have an opportunity to continue to a Master of Science (M.S.) or Ph.D. degree program within the School of Medicine. '

"The CERT Program is a graduate program designed for applicants who have already taken basic undergraduate courses required for medical school and other professional schools. "

Fourth, PCOM has a virtually equivalent program known as the PCOM Certificate program which everyone matriculates into automatically no matter if you are going for the 2 year Masters or simply the certificate.

"The one-year certificate program emphasizes biomedical concepts. It is designed for college graduates who are preparing for application to medical and other health professions degree programs, but who may not currently meet the competitive requirements. The courses are not designed to substitute for undergraduate premedical requirements. All course work is at the graduate level and instruction is by the medical faculty of Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine. Courses are held in the evening session three nights per week.

Courses are similar in subject area to the courses in the medical program at PCOM, but students benefit from instruction as a separate class. The foundation courses provide a strong base of biomedical lecture and laboratory work in a one-year, full-time evening schedule, specially designed to accommodate the non-traditional student. A post- baccalaureate certificate of graduate study is awarded for successful completion of all foundation courses.

PCOM's program is labelled as a post-baccalureate certificate of graduate study. Their program and LECOM's program are virtually identical in purpose and curriculum. Furthermore Certificates are awarded for graduate work

"
A graduate school is a school that awards advanced academic degrees (i.e. master's degree, MBA, Ph.D.) with the general requirement that students must have earned a previous undergraduate (bachelor's) degree.[1][2] Many universities award graduate degrees; a graduate school is not necessarily a separate institution."

"Degrees awarded to graduate students include master's degrees, doctoral degrees, and other postgraduate qualifications such as graduate certificates and professional degrees."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graduate_school

Wiki is hardly a reliable source but it's a strong indication of what the "masses" can agree upon. Oh yes, the director of EVMS calls his MedMasters program (true SMP) a Post-Bacc.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you still need a DO letter to gain admission to the med school if you do the program, do well, meet the MCAT, stay out of trouble, etc?

Do you still need a DO letter to gain admission to the med school if you do the program, do well, meet the MCAT, stay out of trouble, etc?

yes you do, but it is very easy thing to do. i had a stomach virus over the weekend and i visited a D.O for it. at the end i asked to shadow her and she was more than willing to help. there are literally thousands of D.O's in this city. and i know 2 other post-baccs that are shadowing faculties currently to get a letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well after this I'm done arguing about this, but the AAMC says that post bac gets added into undergrad GPA.

From the AAMC instruction sheet:

To estimate your Cumulative GPA, using the formula in Step 5. Include undergraduate and post-baccalaureate courses in your cumulative undergraduate GPA. Do not include graduate courses in your cumulative GPA – calculate separately.

So do whatever you want, listen to Mr. Tom Ross. List your post bac as a grad GPA and see what happens. According to this instruction sheet you will just delay your processing time becasue the AAMC will have to fix it, and put it as a undergraduate GPA anyways.

PS: Tom Ross left LECOM so I wouldn't really be too excited about listening to his advice.

Funny that you're also on at around this time, I was just browsing around.

Anyway just to reply back to the "see what happens', I've already submitted my primary July and my secondaries in August and have interviews pending our fall grades since the start of the program on Sept 7th at a few other schools. Looking at my AACOMAS apps for the first time in 3+ months, apparently my app was verified and released on July 15, 2009 with all LECOM coursework as graduate coursework.

I wouldn't be telling someone advice I haven't already followed myself.

(edit in response to your p.s.) what does tom leaving have anything to do with listening to his advice when he was still working in admissions and recruiting in August? If Amy was offered a better paying position with more upward mobility and she left after giving our seminar next Wed, does that mean we shouldn't take what she tells us as facts? He works for the investment branch of PNC in Erie and if you go to the Wellness Center in the weight room or the basketball court often you'll run into him and some of his former colleagues after 5 pm.

Last edited:
Hahah yeah I feel like I never get to bed before 3am anymore! I was up studying histo.

Well I'm not sure, lol. I have LECOM post bac under undergrad on my MD application and it was verified! Maybe it doesn't matter.

Did you happen to go the PBL meeting? I couldn't go because of a dr. appt. Is it true you only a few a exams all term?

no i didn't go to the pbl meeting, but i have a few friends in PBL currently. You take 3 exams total for the PBL course side and you also have to do H&P sessions and OMM as well along with the rest of the other students. You don't do OMM with LDP but you do do them with ISP.

Yeah I don't know how many of my classmates frequent this subsection of the SDN boards but as I did mention before, I don't think you'll have a problem if you apply say in Jan or Feb. The only clause as Jamie will probably tell you or any of the other admissions staff is that you will need a higher MCAT by January besides the other requirements that need to be met as apart of the program.

As for the stats of my classmates whose stats I do know, MCAT ranged from low 20s to 32 with GPAs fluxuating in between and various backgrounds/ages. DO letters aren't necessary till matriculation date in July if conditionally accepted but you will need the other LOR requirements as well as all the necessary medical pre-reqs for traditional medical school admission (nothing below C, etc.).

The guidelines for the program for acceptance aren't difficult imo because they really gauge your performance inside the program as well as other factors to influence their decision on whether they'll let you in or not. First semester was rather rough on our class as a whole but most have faith that they can redeem themselves next semester.