LECOM Post Bacc- 2009-2010 applicants/class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I know this is redundant but I'm just terrified to call the school and be a pain. I was just wondering if anyone knew how often admissions meets. I've only been complete like a week and a half but obviously am already freaking out :(. Just curious if anyone knew. Thank you!

Hey,

So if you call the main admissions number on the website, you'll most likely end up talking one of the office workers or transferred to a generic admissions adviser who are helpful but will be unable/not willing to tell you anything of substance about the post-bacc program. I don't know if they simply have no idea or if it's school policy to not disclose any acceptance information.

But Tom Ross is definitely the guy you should talk to if you want to know about the status of your application or any other details as he is the director of the biomedical program and the head recruiter for LECOM. The admissions office gets bombarded with questions anyway and won't help so if you want to save time and make their job easier, just call Tom and ask. He most likely will tell you to wait for snail mail but if you have a "compelling reason" he might be able to tell you what the decision is.

Thomas P. Ross
Admissions Recruiter
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
1858 West Grandview Boulevard
Erie, Pa 16508
Phone: 814-860-5172
Fax: 814-866-8123
Email: [email protected]

One last note, if your status on your candidate portal says "we have received your application .. will begin review" that is the default message that they have your app but have not begun looking at it. You will receive an e-mail notification of the change to "being reviewed" and then afterwards you can check periodically to see if a decision has been made because that is not notified. Expect a week or more before the mail is actually in your mailbox from when the status portal changes to "decision has been made". Hope this helps

Members don't see this ad.

Getting a used copy of BRS physiology and skimming over renal, cardiac, GI, resp, neuro maybe helpful, but if any of you have seen the physio textbook, there is junk in there beyond what 2nd yr med students are expected to know. Especially since we cover less than half of physio in post bac, and you are not tested on the book, but what the professor explicitly covers in lecture, what will not be the best use of time is studying for what you don't need to know(which is most of the details of the text book).

Thanks for the tip, and at the risk of sounding dumb, what does BRS stand for? Do you have any other, "things I wish I would have known/done before I got here" tips? Hope your studies are going well!

Members don't see this ad :)
Board Review Series books. They are helpful supplements to class. Beware of amassing too much 'extra' material. Lecture notes will get you A's on exams (if you learn what is in them), so look elsewhere only if you need help to understand what is in the notes already.

Hey guys

I've been getting a few PMs with some frequently asked questions so I thought I would go ahead and answer them here so everyone else can see it and well.. not have to PM me every time to get them answered. Also some housing tips that other current medical students/post-baccs would like to pass on.

What is our class schedule like? There are conflicting times on the website and from other web pages.
- If last year and the years before were any indication, classes will be late in the afternoon from 5-8 PM.

Classes run from 2-6pm but usually end around 5pm.

Will we need to "dress up" even though classes are this late and it is at the Bayfront Campus?
- Yes. Anytime you wish to enter one of LECOM's campus buildings beside the new rec/wellness center, you must adhere to their dress code. The two campus buildings will close around midnight so this is unfortunate for those who wished to stay after hours to study.

Dress code is in effect until 5pm on weekdays. Therefore, if you go there after 5pm or on weekends, you can dress casually.

-Please try and keep in mind that though the main campus is on Grandview, the biomedical program students, the M.S. program students, and PBL students are all taking classes at the Bayfront Campus. If you are planning on walking or biking to class, keep in mind if you choose to live around the main campus, it is about a 10 min drive to where we (biomedical class) will be taking classes.

- There are buses that will take you to campus if you do not wish to bring a car. However the one that drops you 2 blocks away from campus only comes around 3 times a day.

-Be careful where you park your cars if it's in the street or out in the open. In most cases that I've heard there is never any problem but petty crime seems to be an occasional occurrence.

LECOM has parking lots and I haven't heard of anything malicious happening to vehicles parked in them.

Housing

- For apparently most of the housing in Erie, the universal pattern seems to be very thin walls. If you plan on being home much and studying there, it would probably be a good idea to avoid certain areas.

- Most places in Erie finding anything less than 1 year for lease terms is extremely hard. I only know of 2 that allow 3/6/9 months and they will charge pretty steep increases in rent for doing so.

- These links are ones that have received the most favorable reviews
http://www.malenodevelopment.com/shadow-pines/shadow-pines-overview.html
http://www.lovellplace.com/

I am not familiar lovellplace, but maleno development is excellent. There are closer apartments than shadow pines like lakeview and scenery hills. Also pastore is not bad either. They have apartments accross the street from the main campus. Maleno is a few minutes away and about 8 minutes from bayfront.

Advice from current post bac/fall MS1

"2 pieces of advice about the postbac.

1. Get the physio book and start studying it NOW!

I'm not sure if this is good advice since the exams are based on the notes and not much of the material comes from the book. Also the total amount covered is a fraction of whats in the book.

2. DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, move into the Granada apartments. All the horror stories you'll read about Granada are most definitely true...and I assure you, there are far more than you want to know. If you know anyone who's going to the postbac...STRONGLY advise them not to move into Granada as well...it's just not safe there.
To this I agree wholeheartedly.

"

Board Review Series books. They are helpful supplements to class. Beware of amassing too much 'extra' material. Lecture notes will get you A's on exams (if you learn what is in them), so look elsewhere only if you need help to understand what is in the notes already.

I couldn't agree with this more.

They haven't gotten to your application yet so your guess is as good as mine.

Anyway I figure to answer some questions/provide information about the program and the area for applicants and accepted students.

The LECOM biomedical program is 1 year and has a class size of roughly 60 or so students. This number includes the biomedical post-bacc students, the Masters of Science students as well as pharmacy post-bacc students as well as any MS1 students who have unsatisfactory grades during their first year, so the realistic number is closer to 40ish. Dress code is mandatory on campus grounds and for guys the standard is a dress shirt, tie and slacks/khakis and for girls this is more "lax" whatever that translates into. There is no water or food allowed in the buildings outside of the cafeteria. Yes this includes water. Attendance is also mandatory. Extremely mandatory. Late even one second and you are considered tardy. Really. Security is strict and you will need your ID/key card to gain enter the building. The curriculum for the biomedical students are taught by the Basic Core MS1 faculty for LECOM and include:

Cell Biology 2 units
Biochemistry 3 units 4 credit hours
Physiology 4 units 5 credit hours
Histology 1 unit
Genetics 1 unit
Microbiology 2 units 1 credit hour
Medical Terminology 2 units 1 credit hour

Anatomy 5 units
Immunology 1 unit
Virology 1 unit
Pathology 4 units
Pharmacology & Toxicology 3 units
Intro to Medicine 1 unit

There will also be some smaller group setting lectures to accustom students to the PBL modalities of instruction.

A 3.0+ in the program and a certain minimum MCAT are "high predictors" of acceptance for medical school in the fall. Successful candidates will have a choice of the 3 LECOM campuses (Erie, Seton Hill, Bradenton) as well as a choice of tracks (PBL, LDP and ISP depending on which campus you choose/qualify for). Bradenton reserved only 5 spots for this year's class though so the majority entered Erie and SH. Acceptances elsewhere included PCOM and WVCOM.

LECOM-E has expanded to a campus located 10 miles out from their main campus on Grandview. This is located near the bay and will house the biomedical program students/classes, the Masters students/classes and probably the PBL MS1 students as well. Some administrative offices will also be located here.

Housing is primarily found near the main campus though some students choose to live closer to the Bayfront campus. The popular store for grocery shopping is Wegmans which is located near the main campus as well as other amenities such as Barnes and Noble and Borders. There is also a large new gym/rec facility that is located 1-2 miles away from the main campus that is available to be used by all LECOM students.

Other things that may or may not interest people are pretty scarce. Erie is located 2 hours drive from Buffalo, Cleveland and Pittsburgh and has not much to do. For food I hear it's mostly pizza and wings though Indian, Thai and Japanese I have heard are "palatable" options should you choose to eat out. I am a huge fan of food in general =X. Mm.. 25 cent beer is what I hear but I find that hard to believe. Erie has its own airport and flights out tend to get cancelled on a pretty regular basis due to snow. Flying in is never really a problem but departing is sometimes an issue and if successful will involve making a stop at either Cleveland, Pittsburgh or another city before departing to your actual destination.

Erie is probably colder than most areas that people will come from. Snow is also prevalent but supposedly they are great at clearing the roads/parking lots and salting. Erie's own parking lot behind the school is cleared by 3 plows apparently. That's as much as I can think of as of now so if you have any questions, you can always PM or post here and I'll try to answer with my limited knowledge. I plan on visiting in June to find housing/take care of pre-matriculation paperwork/background checks/other matters.

Just a few corrections, otherwise, jslo you nailed it right. I'll have a few more points for you guys in the near future.

Thanks for the info worlddoc, keep it coming!

Thanks for the referring me to the right thread sparkey & jslo85,

Now that 26+ MCAT to apply for the program is something I currently don't have...hopefully will by late July or August. I'll still put in my app and see what happens. On another note, anyone knows how many people from last years class actually made it to a 1st yr DO..lecom or another college?

Thanks for the referring me to the right thread sparkey & jslo85,

Now that 26+ MCAT to apply for the program is something I currently don't have...hopefully will by late July or August. I'll still put in my app and see what happens. On another note, anyone knows how many people from last years class actually made it to a 1st yr DO..lecom or another college?

Do you mean 26+ for the post-Bacc or 26+ for the medical school?

For the post-bacc!!

Really??????? I would hate to get waitlisted at the med. school and denied for the post-bacc. Where do they list the MCAT score for the post-bacc?

They list a minimum. The 26 I brought up was a number I cited from knowing the stats of 5-6 of the accepted students in the program right now and last year's class and averaging it.

The minimum is a 22 but if my memory serves me right, you asked for the stats of the accepted applicants for 2010.

Members don't see this ad :)
They list a minimum. The 26 I brought up was a number I cited from knowing the stats of 5-6 of the accepted students in the program right now and last year's class and averaging it.

The minimum is a 22 but if my memory serves me right, you asked for the stats of the accepted applicants for 2010.

yes that's true I asked you for the accepted stats...thanks for reply...so one needs a min of 22 in order to even be considered for the program as it says on the website

"Health Sciences students who are interested in applying to the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine must have a minimum MCAT composite score of 22"

I dont know your stats, but from looking at posts from years past, if you are close to thier cutoffs you have a good shot. In my case, I had a bad gpa, but decent MCAT, so they offset enough for me to get in. IMO there is alot of that going on for this program, so the numbers are going to be all over the place. I would just focus on getting everything there ASAP!

Yeah I think Sparkey's assessment is pretty on point. It's the same as with med school admissions where a certain level of fine balancing can be done between high and low areas on your application especially since these programs are catered towards allowing students with such deficiencies to prove themselves capable of handling the school's MS1-2 coursework.

I do know of that they are pretty good about accepting students near cutoffs early in the cycle but I don't know how strict they will be as time goes on. Get it in as soon as possible and if you have questions, call Tom Ross (if you can get a hold of him, he's always away).

Good luck

Is the post bacc for students that haven't taken all the pre-reqs or academic enhancement? Also can former or current students verify that a 3.0 and I think around a 27 MCAT will get you in your preferred
grad program after the post bacc? I have pretty low stats..2.9 GPA and 21 MCAT, do I have a good chance at getting in the post bac?

The post-bacc is purely for those who have taken all the pre-reqs and have fulfilled the other medical school requirements (LOR etc) and wish to enhance their academic credentials for their application by taking a concise version of the OMS1-2 medical school courses taught by the LECOM faculty within 1 year.

3.0 and a 22 minimum MCAT will guarantee an interview only at LECOM which is a high predictor of entering LECOM's fall medical student class. According to last year's class, most who have met these requirements by January's interview date and were offered one were also offered a conditional acceptance afterwards. I doubt anyone can predict where else you will get into as other schools will look at other parts of your application.

Last edited:
i have the same portal status. I gave lecom a call the other day again and i spoke with jamie. he told me that my LOR are not even paired with my application.....wth!!!! Tom wont be in until next week and now I'm going crazy. Go figure my luck

This was his original post

im just another sad listing on studentdoc. pretty much my stats are as follow:
cumgpa: 3.4
scigpa: 2.8
MCAT: 17
organic1: C
organic2: C
physics1: C
physics2: C
genchem1: B+
genchem2: B+
bio1: B
Bio2: B-

My goal is to get into a DO or MD school but I dont know if i should do a post bac or spend another year in undergrad/retake my premed-requirements. I'm heavily involved in medical volunteer work and extra cir. on campus. When i took my MCAT i was under an extreme amount of stress (family related issues which are now resolved). Currently I am scheduled to retake my MCATs in July. What do you guys think i should do?

Then in the UMichigan Acceptance thread

I got in today!!!!!!! 3.44gpa, 33 MCAT. Extra cir. volunteer work at clinics, schools, and college ball. Anything is possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:) my weekend is gonna be delightful

Then in the UNC Acceptance thread

got in a week ago. So far i got into two schools and im interviewing at my third on monday. i know people ask for the stats of those who got in so here they are. 3.44 gpa (biochem major), 33MCAT, extra cir: volunteered at clinics, schools and played college fball for 4 years. good luck to the rest of you. if any of you have any questions don't hesitate to ask:)

So kind of confused haha.

which is it? o_0

Has anyone heard from LECOM lately? I have tried contacting them a few times but have never recieved a response.

Have no idea. I assume most of the people applying to the program are either lurking or aren't subscribed to SDN because the only members who are active and had applied to the program would probably be Sparkey and I and we got our response back after applying very early.

I'd give Tom a call if your file has been "under review" other otherwise unchanged for a long time because it usually means they're missing a part of your application to seal the deal on a decision. They won't contact you as well so you need to constantly check your candidate portal or call and pray to whatever deity that Tom is actually in the office and not off recruiting.

Congrats! On your acceptance....and also for getting ol' T-Ross on the horn, that is a feat in itself :) Since you are a native, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on good Town houses in the area? I have a small dog so I have had some issues! Also, is Joe Palmero alright? If you have no idea its cool, just thought I'd would ask!
And agin, congrats!

Palermo's Brookwood and Carollwood both accept dogs. Brookwood is about 15 minutes farther from campus than Carollwood but is a virtually identical townhouse community. Both are only a few years old and have garages as well as private plowing but lack laundry appliances.

Landmark Square is another apartment complex that accepts pets. Though newly renovated, it is overall an old structure but located very near the Bayfront Campus where we will take classes. It's relatively cheap as well, 650ish for a 2 BR.

Thanks for the tips! The landmark place seems pretty nice.

Well I talked with my friend who finished the program and will be an OMS-1 for LDP @ Erie next year.

The actual placement (which medical school each applicant ended up attending) stats haven't been distributed out yet but these are some of the breakdowns of the stats that were for this year on other matters. Tables aren't transferrable by copy and paste so I'll type them roughly.

Examinations
Total exam questions: 2,026
Total time allocated: 41 hours

Fall Semester:
153 Average questions/exam
125 minutes Shortest exam (first one)
270 minutes Longest exam (third one)

Spring Semester
159 average questions/exam
145 minutes shortest exam (5th one)
270 minutes longest exam (final)

Year:
156 Questions average/exam
189 shortest exam (first in fall)
Longest exam was final (fall spring )

Term
Average #questions/exam
Average
exam length
Shortest exam
Longest
exam
Fall
186min
#1 @ 125min
#3 @ 270min
Spring
193min
#5 @ 145min
Final @ 270min
Year
189min
#1, Fall
#3, Fall / Final, Spring

Attendance
Averages for unexcused attendance
All stats include only students who completed the coursework in the specified time period. Thus, the Year stats in the table only include those who completed both semesters of coursework.

Fall: (55) 1.7 tardies/student .22 absences/student 1.7 unexcused/day
Spring: (57) 4.3 tardies/student 1.1 absences/student 2.8 unexcused/day
Year (52) 5.6 tardies/student 1.3 absences/student 2.8 unexcused/day

Perfect attendance (entire year)
9 students (24 in the fall) held clean attendance records (no unexcused absences/tardies)
5 students (12 in the fall) of these 9 maintained perfect attendance (always present and on time)

Attendance days (all students included)
17 attendance days had no unexcused tardies/absences
  • <LI class=MsoNormal>9/9-/911, 9/14, 9/17, 9/28, 10/7, 10/20, 10/22, 10/26, 11/9, 12/1, 12/14, 12/18
  • 1/26, 2/12, 3/18
Best (ideal: all present and on time)
  • 9/11, 9/17, 10/7, 10/20, 10/26 (which respectively correspond to the days of the week in reverse order)
Worst (14 unexcused tardies & absences)
  • 4/7, 4/8 (Wed, Thu, respectively)

Grades: GPA
Stats by Semester & Year
Again, stats include only students who completed the coursework in the specified time period.

Term
Average GPA
Std Dev
Median GPA
Fall (55)
Spring (57)
Year (52)

Fall (55): Average GPA = 3.07 Std. Dev.= .75 Median GPA = 3.27
Spring (57) Average GPA= 2.85 Std. Dev.= .81 Median GPA= 3.07
Year (52) Average GPA = 3.00 Std. Dev= .72 Median GPA = 3.27

There were some charts whose rough breakdown is
fall 2009 gpa

frequency on y-axis vs gpa on x
4 = 0-2 gpa 4 = 2-2.4</SPAN> 8=2.4-2.8 7 = 2.8-3.2</SPAN> 20 = 3.2-3.6
12 = 3.6-4

The next graph was of the spring quarter which was pretty much the same except the 0-2.0 GPA number had increased to 10.

Hey guys

I've been getting a few PMs with some frequently asked questions so I thought I would go ahead and answer them here so everyone else can see it and well.. not have to PM me every time to get them answered. Also some housing tips that other current medical students/post-baccs would like to pass on.

What is our class schedule like? There are conflicting times on the website and from other web pages.
- If last year and the years before were any indication, classes will be late in the afternoon from 5-8 PM.

Will we need to "dress up" even though classes are this late and it is at the Bayfront Campus?
- Yes. Anytime you wish to enter one of LECOM's campus buildings beside the new rec/wellness center, you must adhere to their dress code. The two campus buildings will close around midnight so this is unfortunate for those who wished to stay after hours to study.

-Please try and keep in mind that though the main campus is on Grandview, the biomedical program students, the M.S. program students, and PBL students are all taking classes at the Bayfront Campus. If you are planning on walking or biking to class, keep in mind if you choose to live around the main campus, it is about a 10 min drive to where we (biomedical class) will be taking classes.

- There are buses that will take you to campus if you do not wish to bring a car. However the one that drops you 2 blocks away from campus only comes around 3 times a day.

-Be careful where you park your cars if it's in the street or out in the open. In most cases that I've heard there is never any problem but petty crime seems to be an occasional occurrence.

Housing

- For apparently most of the housing in Erie, the universal pattern seems to be very thin walls. If you plan on being home much and studying there, it would probably be a good idea to avoid certain areas.

- Most places in Erie finding anything less than 1 year for lease terms is extremely hard. I only know of 2 that allow 3/6/9 months and they will charge pretty steep increases in rent for doing so.

- These links are ones that have received the most favorable reviews
http://www.malenodevelopment.com/shadow-pines/shadow-pines-overview.html
http://www.lovellplace.com/

Advice from current post bac/fall MS1

"2 pieces of advice about the postbac.

1. Get the physio book and start studying it NOW!

2. DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, move into the Granada apartments. All the horror stories you'll read about Granada are most definitely true...and I assure you, there are far more than you want to know. If you know anyone who's going to the postbac...STRONGLY advise them not to move into Granada as well...it's just not safe there."

Physio book?!?!? are you talkin about an anatomy books. if you have the name of the book that would be fantastic.

No. Physio book as in Human Physiology.

You can look under your candidate portal and a new tab should have shown up saying schedule where you can look at the classes for our Fall and Spring curriculum. Anatomy and Physiology are two seperate courses taught by different faculty, each being 5 units.

No but if you want last year's list for the first 12 weeks as any indication

Gray's Anatomy for Students Drake 9780443069529
Anatomy Dissection Kit available in the bookstore
Anatomy Lab Guide available in the bookstore

Pick of of the following atlases:
Gray's Atlas of Anatomy Drake 9780443067211
Atlas of Human Anatomy Netter 9781416033851
Atlas of Anatomy Gilroy 9781604060621
Color Atlas of Anatomy Rohen 9780781790130

Langman's Medical Embryology Sadler 9780781790697
Histology: A Text and Atlas Ross 9780781772211

That said, very few books are actually recommended by med students to buy as the ppts if you're in LDP are quite sufficient and you buy on a need basis ni each class rather than all at once. Those are the recommended books for the first 12 weeks but it's been quite subjective as to whether or not they are all needed.

My fiel has been under review for several weeks now, so after several calls to Mr. Ross's voicemail and several emails, I finally recieved an email back from a professor of anatomy who told me to call admissions directly. So tommorow I will call admissions and find out where my app stands. I have a family and am in the process of selling my house, so the sooner I know about my future, the easier it makes some of our decisions on the homefront. Since I am on the waitlist for the med school, I am planning everything around July, but since the post-bacc starts a month later, that would require some logistic manuevering on our part. Thanks guys for the info you have been providing about the post-bacc as sometimes it is hard to find direct info about the program.

Yeah feel free to ask any questions that you have of the program, school and area either here or by PMing me. I check my e-mail quite often at work so I usually respond to notifications pretty quickly (sad yes I know).

The 2009-2010 Post-Baccalaureate Program certified 40 of the 52 students who completed the 2 semesters of coursework, with the following placement according to admissions data and student responses:

29 students were accepted to a LECOM program
4 to Erie campus in the ISP pathway
14 to Erie campus in the LDP pathway
5 to Bradenton campus (PBL pathway)
6 to Seton Hill campus (PBL pathway)

5 students were accepted elsewhere
2 to Ross University School of Medicine
1 to DMU-COM (Des Moines University&#8212;College of Osteopathic Medicine)
1 to WVSOM (West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine)

1 to unspecified medical school in NYC

6 students remained unplaced or did not provide placement information at the time of last contact

40 out of 52 certified at the end of program. 32 of those 40 got into a US Osteopathic school afterwards with 6 students who qualified that did not report their plans.

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum and seem to be running into the same problems with lack of responses by Mr. Ross no matter how many times i call or e-mail... but i have a question on what the statistics are for people who were accepted into the program for the 2010-2011 cycle..... I have a 3.2 GPA and 23 MCAT. I have no idea if it's realistic but i'd thought i would ask! good luck to everyone and congrats to all those accepted!

The only way to know for sure is to apply and see, but I think you would have a shot. I don't know how many spots they have left or anything, so I think the best advice would be to just get all your stuff in ASAP. Best of Luck!

As Sparkey said, I doubt any of us but Tom and the admissions department at LECOM know how many spots are left but your stats should gather a favorable response from the school in my mind.

I'm surprised you haven't been able to reach Tom though, I spoke with a person who learned of his acceptance yesterday who said he had called Tom yesterday and he had given him news of his acceptance before the letter even reached the applicant's house.

Thanks, I sent in my application a week ago because i don't think the waitlists will work out. I'll try again tomorrow!

I saw the average gpa is 3.0 for this program...is it VERY VERY challenging? like basically the same difficulty as med school would be? or do-able? I really wonder why the average GPA is low...

Thanks, I sent in my application a week ago because i don't think the waitlists will work out. I'll try again tomorrow!

Most of us received responses at least 2 weeks out from when our application was considered complete so I wouldn't worry so much about this.

I saw the average gpa is 3.0 for this program...is it VERY VERY challenging? like basically the same difficulty as med school would be? or do-able? I really wonder why the average GPA is low...

I don't think the average GPA is a good representation as much as the frequency value that was obtained of 20 students performed a 3.2-4.0 in the program during the Fall quarter. 40 students out of 52 received a certification meaning about 40 of them performed a 3.0 or better in the program, half of which are anywhere from 3.2-4.0. The 10-12 students whose GPA was between 0-2.0 probably pulled this down quite a bit. Another important thing to note was though the "mean" was 3.0, the "median" was a 3.2.

The classes are taught by the same professors as the MS1s using the same notes/slides and the same exams. That said, as post-baccs we only have 1 class a day, 2-6, giving plenty of time to prepare imo. It's up to you how you want to interpret how "difficult" or "hard' the program will be because it is subjective to each individual.

Most of us received responses at least 2 weeks out from when our application was considered complete so I wouldn't worry so much about this.

I don't think the average GPA is a good representation as much as the frequency value that was obtained of 20 students performed a 3.2-4.0 in the program during the Fall quarter. 40 students out of 52 received a certification meaning about 40 of them performed a 3.0 or better in the program, half of which are anywhere from 3.2-4.0. The 10-12 students whose GPA was between 0-2.0 probably pulled this down quite a bit. Another important thing to note was though the "mean" was 3.0, the "median" was a 3.2.

The classes are taught by the same professors as the MS1s using the same notes/slides and the same exams. That said, as post-baccs we only have 1 class a day, 2-6, giving plenty of time to prepare imo. It's up to you how you want to interpret how "difficult" or "hard' the program will be because it is subjective to each individual.

I just finished the post bac and would be glad to answer any questions any incoming post bacs may have. Regarding the difficulty level, the lectures are near identical to the first year medical students (LDP pathway). I say nearly identical because the professors sometimes will tell us to focus on a particular part of the lecture or material presented for the exam whereas the MS1's have to learn everything. That being said, in my own personal opinion, I thought most of the material was of equal difficulty as undergrad (some of the stuff like read EKGs is much more difficult) but overall its just learning to absorb a lot of material in a limited amount of time (more time than MS1s are given though)

I think the post bac is an effective program because it's a good indicator, for a mere $13K :p rather than the $29K MS1's pay, of whether or not you have what it takes to make it through medical school. If you are struggling through this program, chances are you would be struggling even more in medical school.

With regards to placement. I think the metrics used were a little skewed because the class actually started with about 57 students but when the placement was calculated, the students that dropped out or just stopped attending weren't included. The 6 students that were certified but didn't get into LECOM probably didn't have the MCAT requirement or decided not to goto medical school (I know one guy in our class went to chiropractic school). My advice to the imcoming post bacs is to work as hard as you can your first semester and try to overcome what held you back as an undergrad from getting into medical school (i.e. poor study habits, waiting to the last minute, ect.) and shoot for a 4.0. While the yield might be a little low this year for placement into the medical school, i'm confident if you managed your time right, found a good study group, and treated school like a job, you can get a 4.0. I mean honestly, if you are in the post bac this is like an all or nothing, last chance effort to get into medical school and should be treated as such. If you do well the first semester, there is a lot less stress to deal with the second semester and you can go out and explore all what Erie has to offer (besides the snow :p).

There are a surprising number of good happy hours in Erie. My personal favorite is Aoyama's Japanese Steakhouse. They have a lunch special where you can get most of the dinner menu for half price (read $7 sushi rolls :) ). Sluggers downtown also has really cheap drinks on draft certain days and $2 hamburgers on wednesdays. PM me with any questions! Before you know it you're going to be sitting at your computer one year later wondering how post bac went by so quickly.

Yea, I understand. The reason I asked is because I know of some programs (which I am not going to name right now) that make the program so difficult that barely anyone passes and is able to make their cut-off to gain an interview and/or acceptance into the medical program. From what I've been reading LECOM is nothing like this so it places me at ease. I'm not concerned with the level of difficulty at all because I already have a MS degree...so I know what it takes to do well in a program like this. The reason I'm going for the post-bac is because my mcat is kinda on the low end, which I am repeating anyways, but hoping that my high GPA (grad school) and if I get into and do well in this program, will off-shoot my low score.

Hi,

I will be a med.-post bacc at LECOM and am looking for 2 people to share a 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment at the Westgate community. I am female, Asian, very clean, nonsmoker, and from SF California. I will be bringing my 5-year old, 15 lb. Poodle-terrier with me. He is non-shedding and is COMPLETELY house-trained… and his name is YODA. =)

http://www.rentalguideerie.com/Magazine/Listing.cfm?MagId=2034&AdverId=198650&ListingId=11039861

http://www.joepalermo.com/3-b.htm

I am currently in contact with a leasing agent and he has one unit available for rent starting August. He is willing to hold the unit with a deposit until August 16th or 17th move in.

I would like to have at least one person to commit and we can look for our 3rd roommate later as to share the deposit required to hold the unit. Or all three of us can split the deposit if we can manage to converse over the weekend so we can all call in on Monday as to provide the required information to Palmero Realty.

Rent: $835/month (Room 1: 12’1” x 12’10”à $275, Room 2: 13’3 x 11’10“ à $275, Room 3: 11’9” x 15’ à $295)
Pet: $300 non-refundable deposit (applicable only if you have a pet)
Water, sewage, trash: $60
Gas, electric: TBD - dependent on use
Internet: I've heard $60/month but that sounds a bit steep... we can figure which plan we'd want to sign up for once we get settled.

If you're interested in becoming roommates, please PM or call 831.917.6627.

Thanks.

So, I am trying to get my new ACCOMAS app filled out, and was wondering if anyone new where to find the Course #'s for the classes we will be taking, anyone else in the same boat?

You won't find them. In other colleges such as KCOM who also offer an SMP style curriculum, they have a totally seperate course #s etc. but I have yet to see one for LECOM. Thus I just wrote them down as BM01, BM02 and so on (BM = Biomedical). I guess you can write down PB01 if you wished to as well on the graduate coursework.

My friend used PB last year and is accepted this year into LECOM and the main consensus between her classmates and her was the course #s itself did not matter, but that you need the accurate course title so when you send in the transcripts from LECOM to other medical schools and to their own admissions, they are able to match the transcript grades with your planned course grades.

Ahhhh..... ya that makes sense. Thanks again for the info.

On a curious note, how many of the people here who are accepted/interested in going to the biomedical program at LECOM have facebook?

The LECOM D.O class of 2014 group on there has plenty of discussion threads currently on housing, OMS-3 and 4s selling textbooks, furniture, and appliances if any of you are interested in securing mattresses, anatomy/physio books, laundry/washers, etc. at a very affordable price.

If there is enough students as well in the program, it might be worthwhile in creating a facebook group for the post-bacc itself much like they did last year in coordinating information/discussions among future Fall classmates.

does anyone know what the physical address is for the bayfront campus building? or where it is located?