Ideal Pre-Med Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CapnCrunch

You've been Crunchitized!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if a thread like this existed beforehand. I could not find it.

This question is geared for towards current applicants and med students, but any and all thoughtful input is appreciated.

If you could go back and devise the perfect schedule for college classes, namely the pre-reqs, what would it look like? Considering the MCAT, the app cycle at the end of your junior year, room for viable ECs (research, clinical experience, clubs, etc...), how would this impact when you take certain classes?

Pre-reqs:

-Inorganic Chemistry/Gen Chem (2 semesters)
-Biology (2 semesters)
-English (2 semesters)
-Calculus (2 semesters)
-Organic Chemistry/OChem (2 semesters)
-Physics (2 semesters)

If you'd like, go ahead and copy and paste the sample schedule below to make changes/edits. I believe this would be the ideal schedule:

FRESHMAN: English, Physics, Gen Chem, Calculus, (wait 1 semester for ECs)
SUMMER 1: ECs

SOPHOMORE:
Bio, OChem, (MCAT Prep for Gen Chem and Physics), Research, ECs
SUMMER 2: 2-3 months MCAT studying and take it, (minimal ECs)

JUNIOR: Major Requirements, ECs, Prep for app cycle (LORs, PS, etc...)
SUMMER 3: App cycle (submission, secondaries, pray, etc...)

SENIOR: Graduate, Interviews, more praying, hopefully an acceptance

Reasoning:

During your freshman year, I combined three math-related classes since they will be similar in that aspect. It typically takes students a little while to adjust for college so I would advise that ECs be avoided until the second semester to gauge how well someone is going. During the summer, ECs should be started with at least clinical experience and possibly research if you're interested and if it is available.

During your sophomore year, maybe some light MCAT Prep for the two classes you would need during the freshman year while continuing ECs (as lightly or as heavily as you feel you can do, but be sure to have at least a small commitment for continuity). During this summer, I think it is best to take the MCAT so during this time is heavy prep. The test date can be as late as a week before school starts up again. Same advice goes for ECs (light). That way, there is some room for additional time to study if you found out that you didn't do as well as you planned. Taking on the MCAT during this time will save a lot of stress later on. Performance at this point will be a good indicator for success in the app cycle and possibly considerations for improvement or maybe (although drastic) a career change.

During your junior year, be EC heavy, and continue with somewhat of a light, manageable course load to increase the GPA as much as possible so an upward trend can be established if necessary or just to maintain that high GPA. I say to do more ECs during this time so potential LORs can be received and remain current and also these experiences will be easy to discuss since it they will have occurred less than a year/semester ago. During the last semester, be on top of LORs, have people reading your PS, etc... for a seamless application so it is ready to be submitted the first day (for Early Decision programs, rolling admissions, and a huge burden being lifted off). During this summer, continue ECs while completing secondaries as quickly and thoughtfully as you can. Buy some interview attire, get it tailored to your fit, and begin practicing some mock interviews, etc... (SDN will be most valuable during this time for secondaries and interview questions)

During your senior year, do anything necessary to graduate on time. Inform profs and whoever needs to be informed for interview dates. Be awesome and honest during interviews, and hopefully :xf: at least a few acceptances will come your way. If you get an acceptance before the second semester, now is the time to relax a little and prepare to endeavor an even more arduous journey...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm doing this

Freshman : Biology, Chem , English , Stat
Sophomore : Biology, O-chem, Calculus
Junior : Physics, Biology, higher level Stat
Senior : Bio and my major classes

I wanted to take physics and organic my second year. But I was reluctant to take multiple labs as its literally setting myself up for a ass kicking. I actually wasn't against taking 5 years to graduate as I'm a psychology and neuroscience major with the pre-medical stuff. However it is literally best to take the pre-requisites prior to 2nd year.

I would totally never never never recommend Physics + chem + calculus for any freshman. Its asking for failure, biology + chemistry is just fine and it creates amazing study habits for both humanities and mathematically based classes.

I don't see the point in taking 2 calculus semesters. You can easily get away with statistics + calc 1 for 90%+ schools.

All I can really say is that I took o-chem over the summer before my junior year and I thought it was a great idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm doing this

Freshman : Biology, Chem , English , Stat
Sophomore : Biology, O-chem, Calculus
Junior : Physics, Biology, higher level Stat
Senior : Bio and my major classes

I wanted to take physics and organic my second year. But I was reluctant to take multiple labs as its literally setting myself up for a ass kicking. I actually wasn't against taking 5 years to graduate as I'm a psychology and neuroscience major with the pre-medical stuff.

I would totally never never never recommend Physics + chem + calculus for any freshman. Its asking for failure, biology + chemistry is just fine and it creates amazing study habits for both humanities and mathematically based classes.

I don't see the point in taking 2 calculus semesters. You can easily get away with statistics + calc 1 for 90%+ schools

Didn't know this.

All classes are going to be difficult in some way, but often times freshman have to take Chem, Bio, and Calc the first semester so instead of Bio just take Physics so instead of combining memorization (Bio and some Chem) and some critical thinking (Math and Chem), just substitute Physics so there is a consistent theme and you don't have to totally switch gears between classes. This is obviously dependent on the student's difficulty with math or memorization and the level of difficulty of professors at your university.

Labs (Chem, Bio, OChem, Physics) are inevitable with 2 labs ongoing at least through the first two years of college. You can either do a 1/3 combo or a 3/1 combo or push one lab until your junior year. I would just stick with 2/2.

Which year did you take Gen Bio?

I'd say it varies by person. What I did was roughly (each yr: fall/spring):

yr 1
(summer--chem 1)/chem 2/ochem 1
bio 1/2
physics 1/2

yr 2
human phys/adv methods in human phys research
cell bio/genetics
ochem 2/biochem

yr 3
Calculus II/III
Stats/English

All the while, working at a hospital, volunteering, doing research, and teaching a lab. It worked well for me and I wouldn't change a thing.

All I can really say is that I took o-chem over the summer before my junior year and I thought it was a great idea.

I kind of wish I did this too, but summer classes are expensive... If I could take on classes one by one, it would be so much easier!

I'd say it varies by person. What I did was roughly (each yr: fall/spring):
yr 1
(summer--chem 1)/chem 2/ochem 1
bio 1/2
physics 1/2
yr 2
human phys/adv methods in human phys research
cell bio/genetics
ochem 2/biochem
yr 3
Calculus II/III
Stats/English
All the while, working at a hospital, volunteering, doing research, and teaching a lab. It worked well for me and I wouldn't change a thing.

Wow. If the GPA turned out well, I am extremely envious of your time management skills. But bio, chem, ochem 1, and physics all in the same year?! Yikes!

I killed "general biology" freshman year.
I personally just don't think its smart to be taking 3 math heavy classes the first year honestly. We're pre-med not engineers, there's no rush lol.

What do you guys think of this:

1st Fall:

BIO 1
PHYS 1
Gen CHEM 1 + Lab
2 Art classes (Personal Interest)

1st Spring:

Orgo I + Lab
BIO2
PHYS 2
2 Art classes

2nd Fall:

Orgo II + Lab
2 Upper Bio classes
2 Art classes

2nd Spring:

Gen CHEM II + Lab
2 Upper Bio classes
1 Upper Bio lab
1 Art class
MCAT studying

2nd Summer:

Apps

I will also try to do volunteering and other ECs along the way. Too much? Okay?

Freshmen Year: Investment Banking
Sophomore Year: Investment Banking II
Junior Year: Investment Banking III
Senior Year: Investment Banking IV

1st Fall:

BIO 1
PHYS 1
Gen CHEM 1 + Lab

1st Spring:

Orgo I + Lab
BIO2
PHYS 2
2 Art classes

2nd Fall:

Orgo II + Lab
2 Upper Bio classes
2 Art classes

2nd Spring:

Gen CHEM II + Lab
2 Upper Bio classes
1 Upper Bio lab
1 Art class
MCAT studying

2nd Summer:

Apps

General chem 1 -> general chem 2 -> THEN organic 1 -> organic 2.

Also are you graduating in 3 years? Otherwise your applications should be done your 3rd summer.

Also are you graduating in 3 years? Otherwise your applications should be done your 3rd summer.

Yes, this will be my second bachelor's. That's why I'm taking so many Art classes. No gen-eds.:D

Btw, the order of the CHEMs are different at my school.

Here's what I've done. It's worked well for me so far.

Fall Year 1: Biology 1, Gen Chem 1
Spring Year 1: Biology 2, Gen Chem 2

Fall Year 2: Physics 1, Volunteer
Spring Year 2: Physics 2, Organic 1, Work
Summer Year 2: Organic 2 and Organic Lab, Volunteer

Fall Year 3: MCAT Prep, Volunteer, Work
Spring Year 3: MCAT in January, Volunteer, Work

Year 4: Apply and finish out major, internship, volunteering, some work

I had some pretty tough major classes (Biochem major) so I spread out my prereqs and took my major classes with them. Taking the MCAT in January was perfect. Early enough that I would have plenty of time to take it again if I wanted, but late enough that I was able to get Physiology and Biochem under my belt, so I didn't have to study much for the Bio section. If I had it to do over again, I'd do everything the exact same way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, this will be my second bachelor's. That's why I'm taking so many Art classes. No gen-eds.:D

Btw, the order of the CHEMs are different at my school.

University of Maryland? Because that how our ******ed system is.

:eek:No way... What year are you?

I would be a first year credit gaining student at Montgomery college lol. Hahaha.
I would be going to Umaryland next year too except they stink at doing transfer apps and having the students actually be able to sign up. All the orgo, biology classes are full. So I probably will be transferring in the spring.

Here's what I've done. It's worked well for me so far.

Fall Year 1: Biology 1, Gen Chem 1
Spring Year 1: Biology 2, Gen Chem 2

Fall Year 2: Physics 1, Volunteer
Spring Year 2: Physics 2, Organic 1, Work
Summer Year 2: Organic 2 and Organic Lab, Volunteer

Fall Year 3: MCAT Prep, Volunteer, Work
Spring Year 3: MCAT in January, Volunteer, Work

Year 4: Apply and finish out major, internship, volunteering, some work

I had some pretty tough major classes (Biochem major) so I spread out my prereqs and took my major classes with them. Taking the MCAT in January was perfect. Early enough that I would have plenty of time to take it again if I wanted, but late enough that I was able to get Physiology and Biochem under my belt, so I didn't have to study much for the Bio section. If I had it to do over again, I'd do everything the exact same way.

I think this is classic Pre-Med Schedule (with the exception of summer classes).

I think this is classic Pre-Med Schedule (with the exception of summer classes).

Funny thing is that... I'm strongly considering that schedule. Taking physics 1 and 2 and organic chem 1 in the spring with physics 2 and then organic in the fall.

I would be a first year credit gaining student at Montgomery college lol. Hahaha.
I would be going to Umaryland next year too except they stink at doing transfer apps and having the students actually be able to sign up. All the orgo, biology classes are full. So I probably will be transferring in the spring.

Oh man, don't even get me started on the advising staff here. Some of definitely deserve to be fired.

Well anyway, looks like you and I are on similar tracks. We might even be in some of the same classes. Not to sound like a stalker or anything but I think it'd be cool to meet up, trade notes + tips or w/e.

Oh man, don't even get me started on the advising staff here. Some of definitely deserve to be fired.

Well anyway, looks like you and I are on similar tracks. We might even be in some of the same classes. Not to sound like a stalker or anything but I think it'd be cool to meet up, trade notes + tips or w/e.

The last time someone asked to just trade tips and notes, it resulted in me being chained to a rock in the Aegean for 2000+ years and a eagle continuously eating my liver everyday. Truly he was the first premedical student. :laugh:
Lil Greek mytho

But yah when I called to ask about my status they didn't believe that it was me. The lady was also a massive bitch!

I'm doing this...

Post-Bac: Bio 2, GenChem1, GenChem2, Org1, Org2, Physics1, Physics2, Stats, Stats, TA, TA, TA.

It is working well thus far. :thumbup:
:smuggrin:

I'm doing this...

Post-Bac: Bio 2, GenChem1, GenChem2, Org1, Org2, Physics1, Physics2, Stats, Stats, TA, TA, TA.

It is working well thus far. :thumbup:
:smuggrin:

:eek:

All in the same year? Wow. I would be 100% confined to schoolwork. It's doable, but definitely not enjoyable. Are you taking labs as well?

1st Fall:

BIO 1
PHYS 1
Gen CHEM 1 + Lab

1st Spring:

Orgo I + Lab
BIO2
PHYS 2
2 Art classes

2nd Fall:

Orgo II + Lab
2 Upper Bio classes
2 Art classes

2nd Spring:

Gen CHEM II + Lab
2 Upper Bio classes
1 Upper Bio lab
1 Art class
MCAT studying

2nd Summer:

Apps

three science classes first semester of your first year? that's really stupid, IMO. but if you're hell bent on getting the prereqs into 2 years, i guess that's what you've got to do. i did mine in 3 years, which is what i'd recommend... doing them in 2 years, and taking the MCAT before junior year are both unnecessary things to bother with, IMO.

not all schools do it that way. my school did it like punkedoutriffs' did. i thought it worked really well, actually.

three science classes first semester of your first year? that's really stupid, IMO.

Are we talking

"You will have no social life-stupid"

or

"You will not be able to get good grades on that schedule. Period.-stupid?"

I'm willing to work with the former, not the latter.

Are we talking

"You will have no social life-stupid"

or

"You will not be able to get good grades on that schedule. Period.-stupid?"

I'm willing to work with the former, not the latter.

i would say both.

three science classes first semester of your first year? that's really stupid, IMO. but if you're hell bent on getting the prereqs into 2 years, i guess that's what you've got to do. i did mine in 3 years, which is what i'd recommend... doing them in 2 years, and taking the MCAT before junior year are both unnecessary things to bother with, IMO.

In my opinion, getting pre-reqs done in 2 years is extremely doable and puts much less stress during your junior year, which will be key for apps. Three science classes the first year is a little over doing it though.

There is a lot of unnecessary stress that accompanies the MCAT and for most people, studying during the year with classes often impacts the current semester negatively. So taking it during the summer can eliminate that and also allow for a lot more focused approach. Just my opinion.

Damn, really? But that's how a lot of 1 yr. post-bac programs schedule their courses..

Those students have gotten into the rhythm of college though. Taking so many important classes during the first year of college cane be strenuous...

One of the few exceptions for that would be if a student had taken a majority of these classes during high school (AP Chem, AP Bio, AP Physics, etc...) so the material isn't so much of a shocker.

Those students have gotten into the rhythm of college though. Taking so many important classes during the first year of college cane be strenuous...

One of the few exceptions for that would be if a student had taken a majority of these classes during high school (AP Chem, AP Bio, AP Physics, etc...) so the material isn't so much of a shocker.

Well I'm a current college senior and I've gotten >3.7 for the last 4 semesters, sometimes on 19 creds. So I think I might have an advantage over the average incoming freshman. However, most of those grades were in upper level English classes, so I don't know how much of a predictor they are...

Damn, really? But that's how a lot of 1 yr. post-bac programs schedule their courses..

as CapnCrunch said, you'd already be very used to college classes if you were doing a post-bac. also, in a post-bac program you'd only be focusing on those classes, whereas in college you'd be expected to take at least 1 or 2 more classes as well.

In my opinion, getting pre-reqs done in 2 years is extremely doable and puts much less stress during your junior year, which will be key for apps. Three science classes the first year is a little over doing it though.

There is a lot of unnecessary stress that accompanies the MCAT and for most people, studying during the year with classes often impacts the current semester negatively. So taking it during the summer can eliminate that and also allow for a lot more focused approach. Just my opinion.

valid points. whatever works for ya.

as CapnCrunch said, you'd already be very used to college classes if you were doing a post-bac. also, in a post-bac program you'd only be focusing on those classes, whereas in college you'd be expected to take at least 1 or 2 more classes as well.

I guess I could always drop the art classes. But I don't want to if I can help it.:( I love art and I'm hoping these "studio" art classes will help provide a respite from the scientific craziness.

Well I'm a current college senior and I've gotten >3.7 for the last 4 semesters, sometimes on 19 creds. So I think I might have an advantage over the average incoming freshman. However, most of those grades were in upper level English classes, so I don't know how much of a predictor they are...

No one is saying it's not possible, but it's just more difficult. If you didn't take it all at once, then you might have gotten slightly better grades. Maybe not. I'm interested in what schedule would work for the majority of students with all the obstacles that come in a pre-med's path.

No one is saying it's not possible, but it's just more difficult.

This is kinda what I wanted to hear.

Lol, as I was typing that I had the strange feeling that I'm being a douche/tool. I'm not sure why. It's usually not a good sign.

This is kinda what I wanted to hear.

Lol, as I was typing that I had the strange feeling that I'm being a douche/tool. I'm not sure why. It's usually not a good sign.

Nothing of the sort.

You were just an over-achiever. :p
Not a typical student.
Maybe typical pre-med though...

okay, didn't know that. i guess just ignore my advice then; you know your abilities better than anyone else...

No one is saying it's not possible, but it's just more difficult. If you didn't take it all at once, then you might have gotten slightly better grades. Maybe not. I'm interested in what schedule would work for the majority of students with all the obstacles that come in a pre-med's path.

IMO, the problem is that people vary quite a bit. Something that is quite "doable" (but still challenging enough to keep you going to class) for you might not be doable for the person sitting to your right and yawningly easy (i.e., not challenging in the slightest) to the person to your left.

Here's what I'm doing/did

Fresh: Biology 1+2, Calculus 1+2, English1+2, Chemistry 1+2
Summer: nothing

Sophomore: Physics 1+2, Organic 1+2
summer: MCAT

TLDR

I would say the ideal pre-med schedule is finishing your prereqs in two years and taking the MCAT the summer after your sophomore year. You'll have time over the summer to study w/o screwing up your classes and have opportunities to retake if you screw up. Then you can use junior year to take upper level whatevers that you enjoy and easy electives to raise your GPA if it might have taken a hit from the probably all-science sophomore year.

I'm a little jealous of all these easy schedules! I was a chem major at a Jesuit university that had a really insanely extensive list of required courses (language reqs, english reqs, history reqs, religion reqs, social science reqs, etc). So for the first 2.3-3 years, I was taking 20 credits per semester.

So my schedule was definitely less than ideal!

I'm a little jealous of all these easy schedules! I was a chem major at a Jesuit university that had a really insanely extensive list of required courses (language reqs, english reqs, history reqs, religion reqs, social science reqs, etc). So for the first 2.3-3 years, I was taking 20 credits per semester.

So my schedule was definitely less than ideal!

I know what you mean I'm in the same boat myself.

But this is what my schedule was like for my first 2 years.

S1: Calc I, Bio I, Chem I, English
S2: Calc II, Bio II, Chem II, English
S3: O-Chem I, Physics I
S4: O-Chem II, Physics II

I know what you mean I'm in the same boat myself.

But this is what my schedule was like for my first 2 years.

S1: Calc I, Bio I, Chem I, English
S2: Calc II, Bio II, Chem II, English
S3: O-Chem I, Physics I
S4: O-Chem II, Physics II

My second year was probably one of my easiest years, believe it or not. I took O.Chem 1/2 and Calc 1/2 as my only science/math classes, because for me, Calc was a pre-req for Physics (I had to take a calculus-based, very frightening versionof physics to satisfy my major.) Junior and senior year, however, were awful :(

My second year was probably one of my easiest years, believe it or not. I took O.Chem 1/2 and Calc 1/2 as my only science/math classes, because for me, Calc was a pre-req for Physics (I had to take a calculus-based, very frightening versionof physics to satisfy my major.) Junior and senior year, however, were awful :(

Yeah, for my major I had to do Biocalc, and Physics for Engineering Majors, with all the core classes that come with going to a catholic college.

Don't take them all at the same time and try to work full-time, too. Not fun.

What other types of classes are you guys taking in freshman/sophmore years for science majors? I'm not so great at humanities style courses, and if I had to choose I'd take more science/math any day. Is this really not wise..?