2010-2011 University of Tennessee Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

there are SDN-ers from UT 2009-2010 thread who wonder whether the 2010-2011 thread started. It seems that it did start a while ago...
Hopefully we will have better chances for admission at UT this application cycle !! :luck:

Application is sent...we shall see how this round goes:xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. Question being, is it worthwhile to write anything in the "anything you want to add" section of the secondary...which for the past few years seems to have been "write down your demographics info, mail us a picture, and GIVE US $30!!"

Yup. Question being, is it worthwhile to write anything in the "anything you want to add" section of the secondary...which for the past few years seems to have been "write down your demographics info, mail us a picture, and GIVE US $30!!"

This year, I have performed further clinical volunteering since the submission of my primary application, so I am going to write that if the "anything you want to add?" section is present on this year's secondary (as it was last year).

For what it's worth, last year, I wrote nothing in that section and was interviewed. I'm pretty sure that for most schools, the optional essays really are optional--they can add valuable information to your application...if you have anything valuable to add. If not, you're just fine (and perhaps better off) leaving it blank.

I agree with suncrusher re: the optional essay. Last year I left it blank bc I felt like I'd fully represented myself on my primary and nothing had changed since I submitted it. I was accepted, so I'd recommend only writing it if you truly have something new to add to your application. They're not looking for an ego stroke here like lots of other schools do.

Good Luck everyone!

It seems they are on a rolling basis - basically as soon as they review your application.

Has anyone received the secondary yet?? I got an email shortly after they received my application from AMCAS saying that the application was under review, but nothing since then.

Hey guys. I got in last year and deferred, so hopefully all of you will be my classmates! PM me as you get in and we can nerd it up and get to know each other. Buena suerte!

Has anyone received the secondary yet?? I got an email shortly after they received my application from AMCAS saying that the application was under review, but nothing since then.

I haven't recieved one yet either. I am starting to get a little worried. I have been verified for a weeks and still nothing. Does anyone know how they decide who and when to send secondaries to?

So my application to AMCAS has been finished for more than a month now with transcripts but my stupid university is having trouble connecting with and sending my packet to AMCAS so bottom line its as if I have not applied yet grrr:mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey applicants, I'm an M2 at UT and I just wanted to let you know about Phi Chi real quick. We're the school's co-ed medical fraternity and we have a house on campus three blocks away from the medical school's classroom and four blocks from where you will be interviewing.
When you all come out to interview, you can stay in the guest room at the Phi Chi house for free for a night to check it out. There should be some people here to talk to you about UT, the interview, and show you to the interview building if you'd like.
You can email us at [email protected] to schedule a stay for interviews, and our website is http://www.uthsc.edu/phichi/ if you want to check it out.
You can also post any questions about UT in general or Phi Chi on here or PM them to me and I'll try to respond.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and this website may be useful if you want to find out more information about UT, like curriculum information (although I believe it is not updated for your class yet) and student life stuff.
http://www.uthsc.edu/Medicine/OLSEN/
Good luck!

How tough, typically, is it for an out-of-stater (native Arkansan) to get in at Tennessee? Especially one with a 30N MCAT and 3.96 GPA...

Not that I'm really hoping to be a Volunteer or anything, but I do like to keep my options open.

Last edited:
Hey!

My application was verified about a week and a half ago. UT has my app (got the email confirming that) but I'm waiting for 2nd MCAT results...

Good luck to everyone!

Waiting on results from 2nd MCAT as well...when does UT start sending out their secondaries? :confused:

last year many of us received the secondary mid-August, hopefully we will get it at the same time this application cycle.

How tough, typically, is it for an out-of-stater (native Arkansan) to get in at Tennessee? Especially one with a 30N MCAT and 3.96 GPA...

Not that I'm really hoping to be a Volunteer or anything, but I do like to keep my options open.
Its kinda hard to say, UT has a separate system in place for OOS students. With those stats you should be fine...my wife got in with much less but she was in state. They also have a separate wait list for OOS students.

Good luck to all those students who are applying. I know what you are are going through. Side note, I can't believe how small this thread is. I'm a M1 and we just finished our first day. Nelson, Diane, and the rest of the admission committee has been with us till Friday when the "handed" us over to the actually academic faculty. He said Friday evening that they were fixing to immediately start getting new students. With that said, give them a week or two but I expect they will be sending out 2ndary's etc. very soon.

I believe UTHSC gives higher priority to Arkansas residents, but that may be Mississippi not really sure. I can tell you your scores are solid but there is much more to the application process then scores alone.

If anyone has question feel free to pm me. I can't promise i will respond right away but will try to check this site ever few days.

Good Luck!!!

Secondaries are finally out... Looks like there is no processing fee :thumbup:

It just asks for additional personal info....no essays

I just got the secondary email, which said all the secondary documents completed would be attached. Except there are no attachments to this email. Can someone help me out and email me the attachments (PM me for email info). Please? :(

I just got the secondary email, which said all the secondary documents completed would be attached. Except there are no attachments to this email. Can someone help me out and email me the attachments (PM me for email info). Please? :(

I'm of no help at the moment directly, but try emailing them or calling them. It may have been a simple email error.

If it's any consolation, when I went to their website earlier I was trying to check out their residency forms, which they have links to. However, if you click on the links, it says "NOT FOUND." I was hoping to get started on proving I live here, but :( eh.

No secondary attached, this happened to me too. Tried the number, but Charmagyne is out of the office so I just emailed her for now...

I'M SO EXCITED TO GET A SECONDARY FROM THEM THOUGH!!!!!11!!1!1

The few of you who have gotten 2ndaries, are you IS?

MY MCATs get released on the 31st, hopefully they have a quick turnaround for getting 2ndaries out. I seriously am not patient haha

IS...Just got it, filled it out and sent it back....Wish other schools secondaries were this strait-forward!

Do you guys know if they take out of state? If so, what %? Thanks!

Do you guys know if they take out of state? If so, what %? Thanks!

For those of you who have received secondaries, how long did they have your complete application? I ask because my AMCAS application has been processed since mid July but I just got my first MCAT score this past Tuesday. Should I be worried? (I'm IS)

For those of you who have received secondaries, how long did they have your complete application? I ask because my AMCAS application has been processed since mid July but I just got my first MCAT score this past Tuesday. Should I be worried? (I'm IS)
My application on AMCAS was complete with letters 08 11 2010. I recieved my secondary application e-mail 08 18 2010. There was a lag time of one week. You would need to count from the time that every piece of information was processed...this would count your MCAT scores. I am not sure what you mean about being worried. What is there to worry about at this time? You seem way ahead of all deadlines. The only thing I can think of is that the board tends to be liberal with slots at the beginning and gets more conservative later on in the process when there are fewer slots. So people who apply really early may stand a better chance at getting in initially. If they do not accept you outright you get a score and that score determines your place on the wait list...if they don't outright deny you a slot. :xf:

:zip:Does anybody know when UTHSC started sending out interview notifications last year?

:zip:Does anybody know when UTHSC started sending out interview notifications last year?
I do not know when they started last year...you could probably call and ask Nelson. The e-mail stated that they would have interviews between October and March. So the assumption is they will notify the applicant in September. As far as I know they have always given 2-3 weeks notice on an interview. I do know the interviews went into April last year. I hope this helps. :)

Did anyone else get this email from UTHSC?
UTHSC- SECONDARY ACNOWLEDGEMENT LETTER

If we sent them any correspondence with such an obvious mistake, do you think they would still look at our application? I can't believe they are sending out a mass email with a typo. Doesn't speak well for the institution. Attention to detail.....

I'm really not that disturbed, but it gave me a laugh.

If we sent them any correspondence with such an obvious mistake, do you think they would still look at our application? I can't believe they are sending out a mass email with a typo. Doesn't speak well for the institution. Attention to detail.....

Hah! I didn't even notice that typo!

Well, knowing Memphis and Knowing UT...they probably would not care if you had a typo...howeber ib you aplicashon was ridled wit them thAn they miht kare

Well, knowing Memphis and Knowing UT...they probably would not care if you had a typo...howeber ib you aplicashon was ridled wit them thAn they miht kare

LOL...that is too funny. Though the application did have a typo I hope I am at a medical school with real people who want to be friends, encourage each other, and get through four years together without making medical school into a big competition. Trust me, I am currently a graduate student at a school on the east coast that has a top 5 medical school. Their thread makes me just want to throw up, I didn't even apply there- much to the chagrin of my advisor. I hope to be at a school like UT where people are normal and not so into themselves that you can't stand to be around them.

LOL...that is too funny. Though the application did have a typo I hope I am at a medical school with real people who want to be friends, encourage each other, and get through four years together without making medical school into a big competition. Trust me, I am currently a graduate student at a school on the east coast that has a top 5 medical school. Their thread makes me just want to throw up, I didn't even apply there- much to the chagrin of my advisor. I hope to be at a school like UT where people are normal and not so into themselves that you can't stand to be around them.

Well I hope you get in, that is exactly the personality of Memphis!:thumbup:
To the people that care about a typo, I can't say the same. The admissions people are just that, people they make mistakes and are extremely busy.

Can someone please post the essay prompts for both the regular MD and MD/PhD programs?

Thanks!

Can someone please post the essay prompts for both the regular MD and MD/PhD programs?

Thanks!

I am not sure about the MD/PhD, but the regular MD does not have essays (I believe someone posted this earlier in the thread).

I am not sure about the MD/PhD, but the regular MD does not have essays (I believe someone posted this earlier in the thread).

My bad, you're right. I forgot that someone posted that there isn't a regular prompt very early on. But I'd still like to know if there's an MD/PhD prompt and what it is if anyone knows. Thanks!

But I'd still like to know if there's an MD/PhD prompt and what it is if anyone knows. Thanks!

UTHSC.edu said:
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]M.D./Ph.D.[/SIZE].. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Students who are interested in obtaining an M.D./Ph.D. degree while attending Medical School at the University of Tennessee need apply only to the College of Medicine. Once admitted, students who desire to pursue both degrees need to contact the graduate program or the research faculty whom they want as their research advisor.[/SIZE].

As quoted from: http://www.uthsc.edu/grad/Programs/index.php?page=Programs#MDPHD

The only prompt you'll need to worry about is the one for COM. And since there isn't one, no worries!

Good luck all.

Hey everyone, I went to high school in TN, but left for college and am technically a SC resident for application purposes. My parents and siblings all still live in TN. Do you know if they give any consideration to applicants with close TN ties? I have a 3.6cgpa but only a 26 MCAT. Should I even bother? I wasn't going to apply at all this year after finding out my MCAT score, but I figured I would give it a shot and have an interview at USC (South Carolina) at the end of September. I am hoping that this means there are more compelling parts of my app that will make my mcat score not look so bad. Shoudl I even bother applying to UT? I would love to go back to TN and be closer to my family.

Status
Not open for further replies.