2010-2011 University of Tennessee Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
in memphis. interview tomorrow morning.... first ever.....:scared:

oh and for people waiting on etsu stuff, i haven't even gotten a secondary yet. Another reason I like ut more.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm... so should I call and see if they got it? It's been over a week since AMCAS has been verified.
Well the same thing happened to me. AMCAS had everything "verified" but that does not mean anything. After they "verify" then your application is put in que for "review" and this can take 6 to 8 weeks!!! So after a month I was calling UT and they had not received anything! ( I actually think I got under Nelson's skin). Anyway, I ended up calling AMCAS and they said that my application was under "review" and could take 6 to 8 weeks. In the end it did take about 6 weeks from when everything was verified before UT got my application. So no worries. UT will contact you when they get your application. If it does start getting close to the deadline then call UT. I dont think the deadline is until sometime in December so you have longer than 6 weeks. I would check that date though. Also UT is fairly flexible on some of their cut off dates so you should be okay. Either way, you are a little late getting all your stuff done. A lot of folks try to have it all squared away in June, but in reality due to AMCAS and other issues most folks who try to get stuff done early don't actually get everything square until July-August so you are somewhere in the middle. I have been as late as December getting everything in and still got an interview-granted I think I interviewed in March! It is better to get stuff done earlier than later. It does increase your chances of getting in.;)

Well the same thing happened to me. AMCAS had everything "verified" but that does not mean anything. After they "verify" then your application is put in que for "review" and this can take 6 to 8 weeks!!! So after a month I was calling UT and they had not received anything! ( I actually think I got under Nelson's skin). Anyway, I ended up calling AMCAS and they said that my application was under "review" and could take 6 to 8 weeks. In the end it did take about 6 weeks from when everything was verified before UT got my application. So no worries. UT will contact you when they get your application. If it does start getting close to the deadline then call UT.

AMCAS Processing is Complete

is what my application shows, so it should have already been reviewed/verified/sent out, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you are correct. If you are on your home page at amcas and see this message there should be the word "Details" in blue right below it. Click on that button and at the top right you should see the same message. To the right of that message should be the word "definition" and beneath that should be a message which reads: Application has been made available to the designated medical schools. -If it reads this then yes all medical schools you have applied to should have your application. If it reads something different then I can only say that something else has happened. Okay, so if it reads the former message then find out how long it has had that message. If it has been longer than a couple weeks I would call UT or whatever school. If it only has been a day or two no worries. :xf:
-One more caveat, the first time I applied to UT I recieved no e-mails from them. I found out later that they mass e-mail these kinds of secondary application or reciept of application e-mails. Your inbox may perceive the e-mail as spam and place it in your spam folder. I learned to lower my spam filter while awaiting application e-mails. Be careful here because some e-mails are time sensitive. They want you to reply within a couple days. By missing the window you hurt your chances...I had to reapply the next year though I don't know if it was my inability to receive their e-mails and thus missing due dates or if I did not get in for other reasons. I do know that they resent the e-mails after I called them and figured out what had happened and I was able to complete the application process but I lost my potential palce in line thus lowering my chances.

Last edited:
Got my interview invite email! Woohoo!
Now, to figure out my trip over there...
Actually, if anyone of you would happen to be driving from Knoxville to Memphis for the 25th-26th and are interested in carpooling, please message me!

Last edited:
I have an interview soon in Memphis, and I was wondering how safe the area is around the hotels that they provide in their interview packet? It appears that most of them are on Union street, North Front Street, or Peabody. Also, how safe is the area around the school and medical centers in general? I will be getting in very late, and am wondering if it would be better to stay in a hotel in a suburb of Memphis and then commute in in the morning. Any information would be much appreciated, thanks.

I have an interview soon in Memphis, and I was wondering how safe the area is around the hotels that they provide in their interview packet? It appears that most of them are on Union street, North Front Street, or Peabody. Also, how safe is the area around the school and medical centers in general? I will be getting in very late, and am wondering if it would be better to stay in a hotel in a suburb of Memphis and then commute in in the morning. Any information would be much appreciated, thanks.

If you commute in the morning from a suburb, you need to give yourself over an hour to arrive at the school in the morning. I thought 45mins would be enough to commute from a family friend's house in the suburbs, and it wasn't (turned out I was staying in a suburb that was on the other side of town from the school). On the other hand, Memphis is a s***ty, dangerous city. By the way, you sometimes have to walk the streets to travel between the different buildings and hospitals of the UTHSC campus, although sometimes there are skywalks you can take. But you are going to have to get used to that if you are considering living there for 4 years.

I would stay where they suggested. Those are all safe places. Downtown Memphis is actually pretty safe as they keep cops downtown to protect tourists so I would recommend staying downtown instead of by the medical center. The medical center area isn't really unsafe but all the hotels in the area look like garbage so I would pass on them.

Nothing makes me angrier that oversimplifications about Memphis, especially by those who have not lived there. I live in midtown very close to the medical school. I have never felt unsafe. I have never felt that my wife and I were in danger. Memphis is not a dangerous city. Bad stuff happens just like in any city, but I have never known anyone personally to have anything worse than a broken car window. Many people (especially those that live in the suburbs) like to whine about how the city has gone bad, but it really is getting better everyday. Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but this rubbed me the wrong way. Memphis has problems. Memphis has a lot of poverty, but it also has a lot of people who are trying to help others.

And to answer the previous posts questions: hotels downtown (peabody, front, etc.) are all pretty safe. Anything on Union is probably fine too, and I think that would be closest to the med school. Leave plenty of time to get to the school because it can be kind of hard to see. Have fun at your interview.

On the other hand, Memphis is a s***ty, dangerous city. By the way, you sometimes have to walk the streets to travel between the different buildings and hospitals of the UTHSC campus, although sometimes there are skywalks you can take. But you are going to have to get used to that if you are considering living there for 4 years.

Nothing makes me angrier that oversimplifications about Memphis, especially by those who have not lived there. I live in midtown very close to the medical school. I have never felt unsafe. I have never felt that my wife and I were in danger. Memphis is not a dangerous city. Bad stuff happens just like in any city, but I have never known anyone personally to have anything worse than a broken car window. Many people (especially those that live in the suburbs) like to whine about how the city has gone bad, but it really is getting better everyday. Sorry if this seems a bit harsh, but this rubbed me the wrong way. Memphis has problems. Memphis has a lot of poverty, but it also has a lot of people who are trying to help others.

And to answer the previous posts questions: hotels downtown (peabody, front, etc.) are all pretty safe. Anything on Union is probably fine too, and I think that would be closest to the med school. Leave plenty of time to get to the school because it can be kind of hard to see. Have fun at your interview.

Thanks for the information p head. I decided to try the holiday inn on union street because it is closest to the interstate, relatively cheap, and seems to be closest to the medical school also. I have heard many things about how dangerous Memphis is, and it appears to get pretty high in the rankings of the country's most dangerous cities every year, but so does my hometown and i've never felt unsafe there either =).

A city doesn't make a great impression on you when you stop for 5 minutes while driving through and witness a murder. Pretty much every other ranking of violent crime suggests that that experience was not an "oversimplification," e.g. http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/23/mo...le-real-estate-dangerous-american-cities.html And, I know plenty of people who live there and have lived there for a long time, even though I don't; so, please excuse me for not caring whether or not you yourself have ever felt unsafe. You are one person compared to the many I have known from Memphis...the exception that proves the rule. For all I know, you might feel safe in the Congo.

Is that stopping me from applying to this school? No. I said before to get used to the idea of living in one of America's most dangerous cities if you are thinking of spending 4 years there. To be fair, my other trips to Memphis (ones during which I actually spent the night) were uneventful. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be 100% honest about my experiences and those of people whom I know when someone asks a question :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yes, Memphis always high on the list of violent crime, but these are almost entirely committed in a very few select areas that I am willing to bet you would not find yourself. Not sure what you mean by the exception that proves the rule. Hope some of your friends actually live in the city, and are not people that have removed themselves from reality. All of my friends who came to Memphis with the Teach for America program would agree with me. And putting an entire metropolitan area in question for a few areas is exactly an oversimplification. Lord knows that seeing a homeless person probably will not kill you. Maybe talking to him or her for a while will actually make you more of a complete person. I'm not going to engage in a discussion about this with someone who does not live here. I came back here after college, and there is nowhere else I would be. Good luck with this whole process.

A city doesn't make a great impression on you when you stop for 5 minutes to fill up your gas tank and witness a murder. Pretty much every other ranking of violent crime suggests that that experience was not an "oversimplification," e.g. http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/23/mo...le-real-estate-dangerous-american-cities.html And, I know plenty of people who live there and have lived there for a long time, even though I don't; so, please excuse me for not caring whether or not you yourself have ever felt unsafe. You are one person compared to the many I have known from Memphis...the exception that proves the rule. For all I know, you might feel safe in the Congo.

Is that stopping me from applying to this school? No. I said before to get used to the idea of living in one of America's most dangerous cities if you are thinking of spending 4 years there. To be fair, my other trips to Memphis were uneventful. That doesn't mean I'm not going to be 100% honest about my experiences and those of people whom I know when someone asks a question :rolleyes:

Yes, Memphis always high on the list of violent crime, but these are almost entirely committed in a very few select areas that I am willing to bet you would not find yourself. Not sure what you mean by the exception that proves the rule. Hope some of your friends actually live in the city, and are not people that have removed themselves from reality. All of my friends who came to Memphis with the Teach for America program would agree with me. And putting an entire metropolitan area in question for a few areas is exactly an oversimplification. Lord knows that seeing a homeless person probably will not kill you. Maybe talking to him or her for a while will actually make you more of a complete person. I'm not going to engage in a discussion about this with someone who does not live here. I came back here after college, and there is nowhere else I would be. Good luck with this whole process.

My city has tons of homeless whom I actively help, and my friends are not all in the suburbs. Stop acting like you know anything about me; you're just making yourself sound ridiculous. F.y.i., you're not the only person living in reality who doesn't ignore the suffering around him and tries to help. Get a prescription for your holier-than-thou complex.

I've lived in cities all around the country and Memphis is by far the worst city I've ever been to. There are enough criminals in Memphis to make it one of the most dangerous cities in America, but according to you they are all magically confined to certain zones and no one needs to worry about them while in other areas of the city? Yeah, right. Tell that to the guy who was murdered in front of me in Memphis. My city has its "few select areas" too, but that doesn't mean the rest of the city is safe, or even relatively safe compared to most other cities. It's not, and at least we can admit it. But apparently you will defend Memphis at any cost to reason or statistics.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My city has tons of homeless whom I actively help, and my friends are not all in the suburbs. Stop acting like you know anything about me; you're just making yourself sound ridiculous. Try to have some perspective--you're not the only person who doesn't ignore the suffering around him and tries to help. Get a prescription for your holier-than-thou complex.

I've lived in cities all around the country and Memphis is by far the worst city I've ever been to. There are enough criminals in Memphis to make it one of the most dangerous cities in America, but according to you they are all magically confined to certain zones and no one needs to worry about them while in other areas of the city? Yeah, right. Tell that to the guy who was murdered in front of me in Memphis. My city has its "few select areas" too, but that doesn't mean the rest of the city is safe, or even relatively safe compared to most other cities. Apparently you will defend Memphis at any cost to reason or statistics.

The last statement is pure bunk as you are giving your opinion and using statistics as a crutch. (I can find stats to prove almost any point.)

As a native Memphian who has also lived elsewhere, I choose to come back to Memphis. There were other cities that I did not like but I would not go around bashing them.

Please do us a favor and do NOT come to UT! (I hope you get accepted to ETSU or somewhere else.) No need in being someplace you hate!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

Citing statistics and my own personal experiences (and those of Memphian friends) to someone who asked isn't exactly unfair bashing. If you want to attack the statistical analysis done by Forbes, then attack them instead of me--if you can. But when you reflexively dismiss a statistic that you can't face dealing with due to your own loyalties to/pride in your city, trying to wave it away by claiming that you can find stats to prove almost any point, that is when people should probably stop listening to you. But, that is up to each individual reading this thread, one of whom I felt had the right to read a different experience of Memphis before deciding where to spend the night of his/her interview.

Last edited:
Citing statistics and my own personal experiences (and those of Memphian friends) to someone who asked isn't exactly unfair bashing. If you want to attack the statistical analysis done by Forbes, then attack them instead of me (if you can). But when you reflexively dismiss a valid statistic that you can't face dealing with, and try to wave it away by claiming that you can find stats to prove almost any point, that is when people should probably stop listening to you. But that is up to each individual reading this thread.

I am not denying that Memphis has problems, like any other metro area. Never did! Please do not put words in my response that are not there.

My point was that the Forbes statistic is not the ONLY one, nor is it the final, authoritative one. Here are a couple of others, among many others, that have different rankings.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/

http://www.walletpop.com/insurance/dangerous-cities/

Memphis is notorious for having many "home-grown haters" :thumbdown:. This is what drives me and others who believe in this city crazy!

I was trying to point out that if you have made up mind that you do not like Memphis, then it makes no sense to spend 4 years going to school here at UT. (Unless it is your only option.)

Memphis also has great and unlimited potential. So is the glass half empty or half full? Everyone who is considering UT has to make that determination for themselves.

Good luck to all :)

Okay cool, Makessense. I've been to UTHSC and I personally thought that area was pretty run-down and also didn't feel safe at all, but was undeniably better than many other areas of Memphis. I mean, if I were spending the night in that area, I would be very careful but I would not be totally freaked out like I would be in other parts of Memphis. I was definitely glad I had spent the night in the suburbs and I thought it was important to tell D8O8C8T8O8R that, even though his name is really annoying to type :laugh: and he ended up agreeing with p head's opinion in the end anyways. I do think it is irresponsible at the least to blithely say things like

Memphis is not a dangerous city. Bad stuff happens just like in any city

when you are talking about one of the most dangerous cities in the country on any ranking list, no matter its exact place on the list. And if the health center isnt one of the very least safe areas, it certainly isn't one of the safest, either. Ultimately, the whole metro area shares criminals, even if the crime rate is higher or lower in some areas due to where the police are focused or private security firms/systems. UTHSC is certainly the only med school I've visited that has been forced to lock all the side and rear entrances to its buildings during the daytime :rolleyes: (I needed a student escort with an access ID card just to get between the buildings at 1PM, so I got curious and asked why). But then again, I'm not sure why someone asks about safety, appearing very concerned, and then says

it [Memphis] appears to get pretty high in the rankings of the country's most dangerous cities every year, but so does my hometown and i've never felt unsafe there either =).

I mean, it seems like he didn't care that much about relative safety to begin with. Oh well : ) Anyways, I haven't made up my mind that I hate Memphis, haha. I do think it is mostly s***ty and very dangerous and I will tell people that when they ask about how safe the city is, but that is part of why I would go there to be a doctor. I volunteer at both a large private medical center as well as a small free clinic for the uninsured, and it is definitely more satisfying to help the people who need it the most. And I liked UTHSC as a school, and I think its hospitals will be great for clinical rotations. I still think Memphis compares poorly to other cities, but that is my opinion and every school has some bad to go with the good. Anyways, if a city was perfect then it wouldn't feel nice to be a doctor and make a difference for the people there. I like it's "old city" charm, too.

Last edited:
Okay cool, Makessense. I've been to UTHSC and I personally thought that area was pretty run-down and also didn't feel safe at all, but was undeniably better than many other areas of Memphis. I mean, if I were spending the night in that area, I would be very careful but I would not be totally freaked out like I would be in other parts of Memphis.

Where in the world did you go? Yeah the area could be nicer but you shouldn't be anywhere places that are worse than the campus/med/va. I am not saying that Memphis isn't a dangerous city as there are definitely parts that I avoid but there is no reason to even go into those areas (north and south Memphis) they are like separate islands that you never experience (unless you get lost).

I volunteer at both a large private medical center as well as a small free clinic for the uninsured, and it is definitely more satisfying to help the people who need it the most. And I liked UTHSC as a school, and I think its hospitals will be great for clinical rotations. I still think Memphis compares poorly to other cities, but that is my opinion and every school has some bad to go with the good. Anyways, if a city was perfect then it wouldn't feel nice to be a doctor and make a difference for the people there.

We agree on this point:). In fact, this is my motivation for preparing for and applying to medical school after working in industry for over 15 years . I wish you all the best in whatever path opens up for you.

Okay cool, Makessense. I've been to UTHSC and I personally thought that area was pretty run-down and also didn't feel safe at all, but was undeniably better than many other areas of Memphis. I mean, if I were spending the night in that area, I would be very careful but I would not be totally freaked out like I would be in other parts of Memphis. I was definitely glad I had spent the night in the suburbs and I thought it was important to tell D8O8C8T8O8R that, even though his name is really annoying to type :laugh: and he ended up agreeing with p head's opinion in the end anyways. I do think it is irresponsible at the least to blithely say things like

when you are talking about one of the most dangerous cities in the country on any ranking list, no matter its exact place on the list. And if the health center isnt one of the very least safe areas, it certainly isn't one of the safest, either. Ultimately, the whole metro area shares criminals, even if the crime rate is higher or lower in some areas due to where the police are focused or private security firms/systems. UTHSC is certainly the only med school I've visited that has been forced to lock all the side and rear entrances to its buildings during the daytime :rolleyes: (I needed a student escort with an access ID card just to get between the buildings at 1PM, so I got curious and asked why). But then again, I'm not sure why someone asks about safety, appearing very concerned, and then says

I mean, it seems like he didn't care that much about relative safety to begin with. Oh well : ) Anyways, I haven't made up my mind that I hate Memphis, haha. I do think it is mostly s***ty and very dangerous and I will tell people that when they ask about how safe the city is, but that is part of why I would go there to be a doctor. I volunteer at both a large private medical center as well as a small free clinic for the uninsured, and it is definitely more satisfying to help the people who need it the most. And I liked UTHSC as a school, and I think its hospitals will be great for clinical rotations. I still think Memphis compares poorly to other cities, but that is my opinion and every school has some bad to go with the good. Anyways, if a city was perfect then it wouldn't feel nice to be a doctor and make a difference for the people there.

Sorry about my name Suncrusher, I didn't realize how annoying it was to type until I had to type it a few times in a row. I appreciate your comments as well, but in reference to my comment about never feeling unsafe in my hometown - If you will read my initial post, I wasn't asking about the relative safety of Memphis in general, but simply the safety in proximity to the hotels that the UT website suggested. Living in a city that has been considered one of the most "dangerous" I realize that the statistics do not always speak to the experience. I lived in Nashville, and the separation between safe and unsafe is very distinct in that city so that is my fault for not including that information. I also understand that the dangerous parts of Memphis are less separated and that there is not necessarily a completely "safe" part of Memphis, so I appreciate the insight on both sides and I most certainly didn't mean to start a fight over the safeness of the city in general.

I most certainly didn't mean to start a fight over the safeness of the city in general.

There was nothing but good, constructive, (and maybe passionate on my part), dialog over an issue that any applicant to UT will have to face. Any problem that Memphis, or any other metro area for that matter, has is but an opportunity for a person with vision, drive, and compassion to really make a difference in the lives of other. (Forgive me for being a bit cheesy :D, but it is really how I feel.)

I live in Memphis. It is not a safe city. It is not so much that a statistic says its bad, it's that statistics (plural) consistantly say it is dangerous again and again, year after year. That being said, I have lived in Seattle, Nashville, and Atlanta. Memphis is the worst. However, if you use common sense Memphis is not that bad. You learn the "feel" of a big city. Memphis is crazy, you can be walking down a really nice street one minute, turn a corner and be in a frightening little hole the next. You learn to anticipate these little twists and turns. Memphis was great once, it does have that "old city" feel and I think it has a lot of potential to be really great again. There are some really great human beings here doing great things trying to make Memphis great again. (Now that's a lot of great) Anyway, there is almost never any safety issues with medical students. You hear more about how a university of memphis student got shot (or whatever) but never anything about a UT student. The school takes precautions and they work. Being safe in Memphis is all about being smart. The bums here are scary but not particularly dangerous. Staying in the suburbs not necessarily safe either. Not long ago in Cordova one man got mad because some guy parked too close to his car. What did this suburbian do? Well, he peed on the other guys car! What did the other suburbian do? He pulled out a gun and shot the other guy several times until dead! This was in the parking lot of Panera (at the time a brand new restrant not at all seedy or scary). So the moral of the story is be smart, stay away from scary places, and don't pee on someones car.:eek:

I wasn't originally planning on chiming in on this, but I guess at 6:30 in the morning I can't help it...

I have to agree with VitalArmor. I grew up in St. Louis (yes, we battle Detroit for most dangerous! woot! woot!), lived in Miami, DC...blah blah...live in Nashvegas now...What I've learned is, it doesn't matter where you live, bad stuff happens. The difference is the frequency and how the 5 o'clock news covers it. The statistics and rankings just let you know to be a little more cautious in what you do - but you should watch yourself no matter where you are. Hopefully all of you who would attend UT have a bit of common sense and know how to carry themselves and can figure out where not to go. So, please get your heads out of these stupid numbers and be wise about what you are doing! Don't set yourself up to be a victim. :)

With that said...so someone said that committee meets Fridays. Should we have heard by Monday (10/11) if they were doing anything with us from that meeting? Otherwise, just continue the waiting game for future adcom meetings? I'm getting nervous that because it took me a little bit to get that form sent in (I couldn't send in a pic with me all sunburned from vaca! haha and then finding a *working* kodak kiosk) that they're going to shun me.

I feel cursed today. :laugh:

Well TropicalKitty, the earliest you can expect a response is about 1 week. That would give them time enough to review you one time. They do not always get to everybody in every meeting. Also, they often want the specific person who interviewed you to be there (if you had an interview). Sometimes someone cannot make it and meetings get moved etc. So yes you will have to play the waiting game. As far as a picture is concerned. I just took one of me with my camera phone, uploaded it to my e-mail and printed it out on regular printer paper, cut it out and sent it in.

p.s. I lived in Clarksvegas (near Nashvegas) for about 10 years.

Yeah, I figure there is a waiting game. I'm just trying to not be neurotic about checking my email - which is difficult as I sit here sifting through data... So if no email on Monday means I wasn't a matter dealt with on Friday, then I'll chill with the refresh button until next Monday. haha

As for the picture thing, I think I took it way too seriously. I spoke to a med student here and she had said she just edited a pic of her and her dad. Wish I had known that would have been ok and I would have found something before I looked like this :oops:.

Please do us a favor and do NOT come to UT! (I hope you get accepted to ETSU or somewhere else.) No need in being someplace you hate!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:

I got my ETSU interview invite less than 24 hours after you said this :p

Now, I need you to repeat after me: "Please do us a favor and do NOT come to ________! (I hope you get accepted to UT or somewhere else.) No need in being someplace you hate!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:"

Thanks in advance :laugh::thumbup:

I got my ETSU interview invite less than 24 hours after you said this :p

Now, I need you to repeat after me: "Please do us a favor and do NOT come to ________! (I hope you get accepted to UT or somewhere else.) No need in being someplace you hate!!!!!!!!!:thumbdown:"

Thanks in advance :laugh::thumbup:

You are welcome.:D Good luck where ever you decide to !!!!

I figured that I would chime in on the debate.

I live in Memphis now and I love it. I can understand why Suncrusher may have bad feelings towards the city, though. First of all, everywhere outside of West Tennessee has negative feelings towards Memphis. Rather than forming an original thought, it is possible that he is just repeating what he has been told. Also there is a probably some resentment due to having to reapply this year.

So my advice to everyone is this: form your own opinion. Don't listen to what nerds such as I write on this uber-nerdy messageboard. See for yourself. Memphis is a great and fun city with a really cool vibe. Face it, any city good enough for Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Al Green is legit.

I figured that I would chime in on the debate.

I live in Memphis now and I love it. I can understand why Suncrusher may have bad feelings towards the city, though. First of all, everywhere outside of West Tennessee has negative feelings towards Memphis. Rather than forming an original thought, it is possible that he is just repeating what he has been told. Also there is a probably some resentment due to having to reapply this year. He has spent a lot of time in Memphis and has had one of the worst experiences possible there, but my reading comprehension is so poor that I completely missed all of that earlier in this thread. And I can't seem to find instances of him bashing/resenting any of the other cities which contain medical schools that have rejected him in the past (as if it even makes sense to resent the city instead of the school), but that is THE ONLY LOGICAL EXPLANATION for anyone thinking Memphis is dangerous--a much better explanation than Memphis actually being, you know, dangerous, as several other Memphians have corroborated a few posts above this.

So my advice to everyone is this: form your own opinion. Don't listen to what nerds such as I write on this uber-nerdy messageboard. See for yourself. Memphis is a great and fun city with a really cool vibe. Face it, any city good enough for Elvis, Johnny Cash, and Al Green is legit.

Fixed that for you. I'm sure you thought your post was a nice attempt, though. *pat on the head*

Thanks for fixing that for me. It's hard to keep my thoughts in order when I'm dodging bullets and knife attacks every minute of the day.

(Sorry that everyone has to endure this. Good luck to everyone else who is applying. UT is a great school. The city is great and the other med students here are extremely helpful. PM me if you have any questions about anything regarding the application process or the city, I'll be glad to help)

Last edited:
Hello Everyone! Without a doubt, Memphis isn't Pleasantville, USA. However, it is unwise to rely on rankings by Forbes Magazine and other agencies to compare cities. Those rankings are based on FBI data; which is sent in a crime report from each city. The problem lies in the format and detail of each individual report; they are not uniform. Check out this article: http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/jun/29/memphis-victim-of-crime-reports/

Here is an excerpt: "Memphis adopted the FBI's more detailed measuring stick for crimes -- the National Incident-Based Reporting System. The measure is a major refinement of the Uniform Crime Report, which has been in use since 1929. It's a useful tool, officials here say, but it makes the city look like a den of crime when ranked with those numbers.
For instance, unlike Memphis, Chicago's method of collecting information on forcible rapes has been rejected by the FBI, so no rapes are counted in that city's preliminary numbers for 2008. And New York City doesn't report thefts under $1,000, according to its public information office, while Memphis reports all thefts, even the smallest. Most thefts are under $1,000...Other discrepancies surface in cases where several crimes are committed in one incident. While Memphis reports each individual crime, some cities report only the highest offenses -- such as murder. Baltimore, for example, had 100 more murders than Memphis, yet inexplicably had a lower rate of violent crime. With a population of 634,549, Baltimore reported 234 murders and 10,080 violent crimes, according to preliminary FBI numbers for 2008. Memphis, with a population of 672,046, had 137 murders, but 12,927 violent crimes."

Last edited:
Wow. If anyone needs their hand held while crossing the street on interview day, just PM me...

coffee3 said:
Where in the world did you go?

He probably went on the other side of Popular, which I guess would be considered sketchy to anyone who hasn't actually been in a sketchy part of Memphis.

I mean, that is why they put up those walls along 240, right? They "hide" some of the "run down" areas from those passing through.

Everyone agrees with me.

Okay, you guys are right. No one should err on the side of caution when giving advice about Memphis, because "Memphis is not a dangerous city." I hope you can now finally feel that you've dutifully defended Memphis from an entirely undeserved characterization that was not based on actual experiences :-/
Anyways...On a more serious note, UT is a really cool school, and yeah, everyone can decide for themselves how safe they think that area of Memphis is. Were my experiences in Memphis extreme and very possibly outliers? Yes. But that doesn't make ignoring them a responsible thing to do, while telling potential visitors only about Memphis' vibe. To me, VitalArmor and TropicalKitty's advice about taking a lot of precautions and being smart while in Memphis still seems like the responsible thing to include in what you are telling people.

Last edited:
Totally on board with precautions. It is smart to take precautions in any large city. Mediocre sarcasm aside, you raised some good points. I just love the city and feel the need to defend it from preconceptions. There really are some beautiful parts of the city, but often they are missed because they are mostly residential areas. Hope everyone enjoys their visit, and I hope everyone their click there to lay down cover fire while you run into the interview building. If you are staying in town, this blog may give you some ideas on things to do/places to eat.

http://ilovememphisblog.com/

Okay, you guys are right. No one should err on the side of caution when giving advice about Memphis, because "Memphis is not a dangerous city." I hope you can now finally feel that you've dutifully defended Memphis from an entirely undeserved characterization that was not based on actual experiences :-/
Anyways...On a more serious note, UT is a really cool school, and yeah, everyone can decide for themselves how safe they think that area of Memphis is. Were my experiences in Memphis extreme and very possibly outliers? Yes. But that doesn't make ignoring them a responsible thing to do, while telling potential visitors only about Memphis' vibe. To me, VitalArmor and TropicalKitty's advice about taking a lot of precautions and being smart while in Memphis still seems like the responsible thing to include in what you are telling people.

I understand your concern for safety in any school that you consider, but the recent turn in this forum is completely unproductive. If you have questions about where to stay, call the admissions office. They will honestly tell you if there has been a safety issue in the past and which places to avoid, mostly because they want you to have a good experience in the city.

Once you all have your acceptances, feel free to start getting into heated discussions about what makes Memphis a better or worse place to live. The crime will at least get you lots of experience in the Med working with a diverse population and many different scenarios. Why don't we all focus on the interview process first rather than debating an issue where most likely your opinions will not be influenced by what the others say.

Well medhope I do feel your frustration with this topic of conversation a little bit. I would rather hear how some interviews have gone. However, I think safety is an important issue to consider on the front end. Why waste your time and money on a school which does not live up to your expectations and saftey is one of those expectations? The terms of use however are clear:
  1. Stay on topic. Our membership encourages open discussion and debate as long as it relates to the topic of the thread at hand. Posts which do not relate to the original purpose or topic of the thread may be moved to a more appropriate location.
Topics of Discussion
While these discussion forums encourage a wide range of opinions, please keep your posts focused on the topic of the forum in which you are submitting your message. Each forum has a different topic, so what is appropriate in one forum or thread may not be appropriate in another. Generally speaking, however, profanity, vulgar language, and personal attacks are not acceptable in any forum.

The topic moved from application to secondaries to interviews to where to stay and then to whether it was safe. Discussing the safety of Memphis is not only appropriate but a natural result of the topic at hand. All I can say is trust me on this: the topic will eventually return to acceptance, interviews and even the wait list soon enough. Also, it has been my experience that once one is accepted we don't hear much from them again. It is better some of these topics are discussed prior to matriculation. One does not want to get accepted to a school and then find out its "dirty little secrets" which the admissions office probably will not divulge. What admissions office is going to say "It's dangerous here, please do not apply"? So what use is calling the office? I think we can garner far more information-be it biased, accurate, inaccurate, or even persuasive by discussing in this forum. All that being said I too am tired of the Memphis is dangerous topic. Though I have found it revealing and educational. Especially on the point that different cities report their crimes differently. Anyway, if anyone is willing there are few in this room whom have had an interview recently and I would like to know how those worked out. On a more droll note I am curious if anyone interviewing saw any crimes committed or were the target of one...:) Really I hope all are safe. Good Luck to all!

Last edited:
I need to stop having coffee...It's making waiting to hear from UT even more intolerable. :laugh: I'm getting work done faster, so that's not helping to put the day behind me.

So here's to hoping that when they look at my file they'll be all :love: and this waiting will be worth it!

As for interviews, yes, I'd like to hear more about them, too!

How long did it take to get the secondary stuff emailed to you when you sent your primary to UT? I sent my primary to them about a week and a half ago and still no word...

Dreaming, I submitted my stuff back over the summer when I sent my app for AMCAS to verify it. They emailed saying they received it the day AMCAS released my app. However, my MCAT score didn't come out until a couple weeks later...then I got the 2ndary maybe a day or 2 after score was released. Won't be much help at the moment since your situation and the pile of papers they have to sort through is different now.

Did you at least get the email saying they received your AMCAS app? If not, you could give them a couple more days and try contacting them to make sure they have that. :luck:

TropicalKitty and all those who have received interview emails,

I was wondering...when did you submit your primary application and secondary application? I submitted my primary the first week of August and received a secondary and submitted it to UT the first week in September. I still haven't received an interview email. Should I be worried? I haven't received a "regret letter."

I am just patiently waiting and checking my email all of the time.

Nurse, I haven't gotten an interview invite yet either. My timeline is similar to yours, however I had some issues with recommenders getting their letters in when they had promised so I wasn't complete until a little later. :( We can be email checking buddies.

:luck:

Don't be worried. Many people do not get interviews until the spring of next year. I was not notified until February about mine. There are still chances to get in at that point too. Don't expect them email week to week. Don't get discouraged. It will all work out in time. Good luck.

TropicalKitty and all those who have received interview emails,

I was wondering...when did you submit your primary application and secondary application? I submitted my primary the first week of August and received a secondary and submitted it to UT the first week in September. I still haven't received an interview email. Should I be worried? I haven't received a "regret letter."

I am just patiently waiting and checking my email all of the time.

I think I had everything done including my secondary in August. I still have not had an interview offer. Not worried. P Head is correct. This time of year is so rife with things to do (starting a new class, recieving thousands of applications, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc) that I do not expect an invite before the end of the year. So no worries:thumbup:

Thank you all for the reassurance. I will definitely post if I receive the much anticipated email in the future. :xf:

Just wondering if anyone has tried an "in the area" email. I'm in grad school in Connecticut (I'm a TN resident). I'm interviewing at ETSU soon and was wondering if an in the area letter/call might have any impact.
Yes, I do realize that J-City and Memphis are not close in proximity, but the less plane tickets I have to book the better.
Thanks and good luck to everyone.

Seems like it's been really quiet here about the actual application cycle recently...

Anyone hearing anything? Any interview experiences to share?

Anything...?

Seems like it's been really quiet here about the actual application cycle recently...

Anyone hearing anything? Any interview experiences to share?

Anything...?

I interviewed this past Tuesday (Oct 26). First interviewer was supernice, second interviewer kind of grilled me. Got to spend lots of time that day talking with M2's/3's/4's while they gave us the tour, that was nice! I stayed at the Phi Chi House, that was really nice too.

Nelson Strother said that admissions would meet Friday (I.e today) to bring up applicants, and any decision made on an applicant (yes/no/hold) would be mailed to them within the next 2 weeks. I suppose this meeting is also meant to address pre-interview applicants, not sure though! Also, he said that they do put in extra hours for these meetings but don't get around to every applicant each time... He also explained the actual selection process within the meetings, which is similar to ETSU.

Overall impression was good! Would love to go here!

I interviewed this past Tuesday (Oct 26). First interviewer was supernice, second interviewer kind of grilled me. Got to spend lots of time that day talking with M2's/3's/4's while they gave us the tour, that was nice! I stayed at the Phi Chi House, that was really nice too.

Nelson Strother said that admissions would meet Friday (I.e today) to bring up applicants, and any decision made on an applicant (yes/no/hold) would be mailed to them within the next 2 weeks. I suppose this meeting is also meant to address pre-interview applicants, not sure though! Also, he said that they do put in extra hours for these meetings but don't get around to every applicant each time... He also explained the actual selection process within the meetings, which is similar to ETSU.

Overall impression was good! Would love to go here!

Enlighten me? I don't know how ETSU does it... perhaps I missed something somewhere...

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for responding! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.