ADA Guidelines for Predental Experiences abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redchesus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So there was that controversial thread about the pre-dental trips abroad (but I forget what it's called and can't find it anymore) and here is the official ADEA stance on it:

http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/Documents/ADEA%20Guidelines%20for%20International%20Predental%20Experiences%202010%20Approved%20by%20BoD.pdf

I would use discretion when talking about these experiences (and things you participated in on the trip) in your application/interview.

Members don't see this ad.

So there was that controversial thread about the pre-dental trips abroad (but I forget what it's called and can't find it anymore) and here is the official ADEA stance on it:

http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/Documents/ADEA%20Guidelines%20for%20International%20Predental%20Experiences%202010%20Approved%20by%20BoD.pdf

I would use discretion when talking about these experiences (and things you participated in on the trip) in your application/interview.

:thumbup: Good advice. Start a professional career by lying by omission. It looks like someone at ADA has been reading SDN posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad they put this out. Its about time pre-dents take the dental profession more seriously and quit playing in other countries like they know what they are doing...

Really great info, OP. It's good to know that those "missions" abroad aren't needed to be a good applicant, and sometimes can even be harmful. I was considering that sort of thing, but now I'll steer clear. It seems like too many of them want students to do procedures, not just observe.

:thumbup: Good advice. Start a professional career by lying by omission. It looks like someone at ADA has been reading SDN posts.

I'm just of the opinion that those that did go on the trips probably meant well and didn't know the implications. I don't think they should be punished for it.

I'm just of the opinion that those that did go on the trips probably meant well and didn't know the implications. I don't think they should be punished for it.

Maybe. Or it is "probable" that they were more interested in impressing adcoms, which remain the ultimate authority in judgment/punishment. As for not knowing the implications: if it something that is illegal/unethical in this country is quite likely illegal/unethical in other countries, not to mention that ignorance of the law has never been a good legal defense.

Maybe. Or it is "probable" that they were more interested in impressing adcoms, which remain the ultimate authority in judgment/punishment. As for not knowing the implications: if it something that is illegal/unethical in this country is quite likely illegal/unethical in other countries, not to mention that ignorance of the law has never been a good legal defense.

Sigh. I'm not trying to start another controversial topic or anything, just posting some info. I actually agree with you, I'm not a fan of pre-dents going on those trips either. But to be honest, before this year, I had always thought that those trips were encouraged, the way they're advertised.

But whatever, you have your opinions and I have mine. It's really entirely up to the adcoms.

Thanks for the post, very informative. Now i can save the several thousand dollars i was considering spending going to Panama...

How can giving service to those in need be looked at negatively? Obviously if you are just assisting the Dr. you are fine. If you are performing procedures you are not. I have talked to multiple dental schools asking them about their opinion on this. And service=great experience. I went abroad and loved just assisting, it was a solidifying experience to pursue dentistry.

In the paragraph that lists procedures that we should not perform, it lists placing sealants and prophylaxis. I thought that was strange, because those are simple procedures that Ive done as an assistant.

In the paragraph that lists procedures that we should not perform, it lists placing sealants and prophylaxis. I thought that was strange, because those are simple procedures that Ive done as an assistant.

Depending on the state, sealants may be done by assistants provided they received some training. As for the prophies, you have to be kidding.

Depending on the state, sealants may be done by assistants provided they received some training. As for the prophies, you have to be kidding.

I seem to be mistaken. I did rubber cup polishing, which I thougth they called in the clinic "prophy".

I seem to be mistaken. I did rubber cup polishing, which I thougth they called in the clinic "prophy".

Yeah. That's coronal polishing. Prophylaxis can only be done by the dentist or hygienist. In some states you can get certified to do coronal polishing as an assistant. Coronal polishing is often referred to as "prophy" but it's wrong. I kinda got in trouble for that...ha

Yeah. That's coronal polishing. Prophylaxis can only be done by the dentist or hygienist. In some states you can get certified to do coronal polishing as an assistant. Coronal polishing is often referred to as "prophy" but it's wrong. I kinda got in trouble for that...ha

Thanks for the clarification. So is prophilaxis a similar treatment below the gumline?

Thanks for the clarification. So is prophilaxis a similar treatment below the gumline?

As far as I know prophylaxis refers to a preventive treatment. In dentistry it refers to the cleanings and yeah, they go below the gumline. Maybe a dentist can give you a better explanation of what it really means. Hope this helps!

This information is so important and yet so many pre-dents are unaware of it. This deserves a bump :thumbup: