BSDMD vs reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghw

Reaction score
I’m in an 8 year BS/DMD program right now at a decent university. I was pretty stoked at first, and it’ll sound dumb, but I’ve been living in this city my whole life and am honestly tired of it. Have been dealing with some grief recently as well, and being here has a lot of memories. Is it a bad idea to apply elsewhere and let myself get rescinded at my current university? I just finished my first year with a 3.85 GPA (only dropped from 4.0 after the whole grief thing) and still have other requirements in this program like research/volunteering/shadowing/LORs to complete anyways, so I would still have all the components of an application. I know it’s risky, so I guess I need advice on whether it is worth the risk.

Members don't see this ad.

You have a guaranteed spot as long as you keep your grades up. Do you have to take the DAT? If not, then I'd personally just keep trucking along. You're also in your first year. Playing devil's advocate here, who's to say things get difficult later on and your GPA ends up not as great?

Try to look at the bigger picture, you are one of a select few that knows they have a spot, not many students can say that. You'd be gambling with yourself if you back out, take (and possibly not do very well on the DAT if you're trying to bolster your application and not spend enough time studying) and then have to spend a whole year reapplying if things don't pan out, vs knowing you're graduating and going straight to dental school.

Plus, you'll be so distracted in dental school that where you're located might not matter to you as much. You'll be able to move away after graduation. And, we all get the same degree in the end, where you go truly doesn't matter that much.

I'd keep the spot for now and reassess things later on if you truly are thinking of backing out of the program.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a guaranteed spot as long as you keep your grades up. Do you have to take the DAT? If not, then I'd personally just keep trucking along. You're also in your first year. Playing devil's advocate here, who's to say things get difficult later on and your GPA ends up not as great?

Try to look at the bigger picture, you are one of a select few that knows they have a spot, not many students can say that. You'd be gambling with yourself if you back out, take (and possibly not do very well on the DAT if you're trying to bolster your application and not spend enough time studying) and then have to spend a whole year reapplying if things don't pan out, vs knowing you're graduating and going straight to dental school.

Plus, you'll be so distracted in dental school that where you're located might not matter to you as much. You'll be able to move away after graduation. And, we all get the same degree in the end, where you go truly doesn't matter that much.

I'd keep the spot for now and reassess things later on if you truly are thinking of backing out of the program.
Good point, thank you

Reactions: 1 user