23 MCAT + URM...competitive or not?

Started by theWUbear
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theWUbear

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A good friend of mine just finished his junior year at State U with a 3.9, major in biology. He is a URM, and is unhappy to have received a 23 on the MCAT (10BS, 8PS, 5VR). He wants to retake.

Lets assume his clinical experience is average, and he has zero research.

I am worried about him waiting a while to retake the MCAT and applying at the end of the cycle (too late, killing his chances even with a slightly improved MCAT). Is a URM with a 3.9 GPA and 23 MCAT competitive for northeast DO schools? I feel like he is certainly in the bottom 40 percent for MCAT but perhaps for URMs he is average for the MCAT, and the 3.9 is great. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
Most schools say no lower than 7 so no. The average is 27, he is a full SD beneath it. His URM status can't make up for his MCAT, especially as it's the verbal portion. If it was PS it would be less of a problem. I'd suggest he retake it ASAP and try using an LSAT or GRE verbal book as they're a lot tougher than what is on the MCAT. If he could get that score to be more balanced he would have a great shot but aim for at a minimum 24, no lower than 7 any section.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A 5 in any one section is pretty much a denial right there. If it was a well-balanced 23 he'd be fine. But a 5 in verbal is pretty much an auto-reject.
Agreed - The verbal score seems to be the most important these days. A five there will make it an easy decision for the ADCOM's. I got in with a 25, but my verbal was a 10, which I *know* is what carried me.
 
I agree. I got in with a 25 MCAT and a late application, but my verbal was an 11. My ps was only a 6 but many people do poorly on that. But there are many great strategies to raise the verbal score since it requires no outside information like the other sections. when I first started doing practice tests I was getting a 6 on the verbal but by the end I was getting 12 or sometimes 13. So the best thing is to find a good strategy and practice that section a ton!
 
I know a URM that got into a state DO school with a 20, zero ECs, and almost no clinical experience.

Contacting ADCOMs would help a lot.
 
A good friend of mine just finished his junior year at State U with a 3.9, major in biology. He is a URM, and is unhappy to have received a 23 on the MCAT (10BS, 8PS, 5VR). He wants to retake.

Lets assume his clinical experience is average, and he has zero research.

I am worried about him waiting a while to retake the MCAT and applying at the end of the cycle (too late, killing his chances even with a slightly improved MCAT). Is a URM with a 3.9 GPA and 23 MCAT competitive for northeast DO schools? I feel like he is certainly in the bottom 40 percent for MCAT but perhaps for URMs he is average for the MCAT, and the 3.9 is great. Any advice would be appreciated.

If this person can get their VR over a 7 (ideally at least an 8), then they have a much better shot. I would try to take the MCAT before the end of July if he wants to apply this cycle. Just my opinion. Others may disagree. I know a few people who are doing this.
 
I know a URM who got into an allopathic US med school with a 22O. I don't remember the breakdown of her score though
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
From information i've gather URMs are known to get in to MD state schools with 22s with some regularity
 
Does being a URM really help that much? Or is it a unique set of circumstances?

Well, it definitely doesn't hurt. I don't think anyone, excluding AdComs, can answer this question.

What we do know is that the only way to improve your chances is to build a strong, well rounded, application.
 
Well, it definitely doesn't hurt. I don't think anyone, excluding AdComs, can answer this question.

What we do know is that the only way to improve your chances is to build a strong, well rounded, application.

Yea, having a little tail wind to help out doesnt hurt. I would prefer not to do so poorly and get in anyway regardless.
 
Update - he got in to in-state DO school. I knew it guise - URM with a 3.9, they made an exception for the MCAT
 
This isn't wow worthy. His GPA is higher than most osteopathic students and his MCAT is 3 points lower than most osteopathic students.
Yea but that low of an MCAT calls his GPA into question, especially considering he went to a state school. Or he just had a bad day when he took the MCAT.
 
Yea but that low of an MCAT calls his GPA into question, especially considering he went to a state school. Or he just had a bad day when he took the MCAT.

It doesn't call the GPA into question since public schools don't grade inflate also there are some D.O schools that have MCAT avgs at 24.
 
It doesn't call the GPA into question since public schools don't grade inflate also there are some D.O schools that have MCAT avgs at 24.
Still, depending on the school, a 3.9 might not say that much.

IMO, the bare minimum someone with a solid 3.9 should get is a 27, unless that person is a poor test-taker or is ESL.
 
Still, depending on the school, a 3.9 might not say that much.

IMO, the bare minimum someone with a solid 3.9 should get is a 27, unless that person is a poor test-taker or is ESL.

The MCAT is a hard test. GPA is work ethic and many people who apply to med school have 3.8-4.0 GPAs and below 26. GPA and MCAT do not really share a strong correlation. And I also think this is the first time he took it? I'm not saying its a good score but realise that MCAT is a lot harder than nearly every standardized test to get admission into a graduate school.