WAMC - Non-trad, 504 MCAT, IL URM

Started by abster25
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

abster25

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I’m looking for help building a realistic MD and DO school list. For context, my most recent MCAT score was a 504 (124/126/126/128), which was a second retake after a previous 495. I am hoping to apply to around 20 MD schools and 6 DO schools. My undergrad GPA is a 3.74, and my master’s program GPA is a 4.0.

Some more info about me:
Clinical experience: ~600 hrs (hospital volunteering and CNA work)

Shadowing: 30 hrs (forensic pathology)

Research: ~1,800 hrs (community health and musculoskeletal pain disparities research)

Lab/Diagnostics: ~2,600 hrs (clinical microbiology and PCR-based diagnostic testing)

Research presentations: 1 poster presentation at a national conference

Leadership: 150 hrs (student org supporting first-gen/ low-income students)

Non-clinical community service: 114 hrs (sexual health education and community health outreach)

Non-medical employment: 680 hrs (customer service at a local ice cream shop)

I already have a few schools in mind but would really appreciate advice on what other MD/DO schools I should consider adding. I appreciate all the help I can get!

  • Rush Medical College
  • Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine
  • University of Illinois College of Medicine
  • Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
  • Rosalind Franklin University Chicago Medical School
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Roseman
TCU
Creighton
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
I suggest these DO schools:
CCOM
ILLINOIS-COM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
PCOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
KCU-COM
 
I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Roseman
TCU
Creighton
Alice Walton
Belmont
Methodist
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
Drexel
Temple
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
I suggest these DO schools:
CCOM
ILLINOIS-COM
MU-COM
TUNCOM
AZCOM
UIWSOM
PCOM
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
KCU-COM
Thank you so much!
 
What type of master's program were you enrolled in?

I just wanted to advise you to consider adding non-clinical service orientation that is not related to health: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/taxa preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Loyola and Rush like applicants with hundreds of hours in this category.

I also would advise getting some primary care physician shadowing.
 
What type of master's program were you enrolled in?

I just wanted to advise you to consider adding non-clinical service orientation that is not related to health: food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/taxa preparation, legal support, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation. Loyola and Rush like applicants with hundreds of hours in this category.

I also would advise getting some primary care physician shadowing.
Thank you for your feedback! My master's degree was in Biotech at Rush, and most of my research experience was completed there. I'll also have a letter of rec from my PI, who offered to write an additional letter to the admissions committee if needed. I've seen mixed opinions on faculty sending advocacy letters directly to admissions committees, so I was curious whether you think that would be worthwhile.

I agree regarding primary care shadowing. Unfortunately, finding opportunities has been challenging, and I'm not sure I'll be able to secure anything before secondaries are submitted.
 
Which URM community are you from ? If you are Hispanic, are you fluent in Spanish?
Hello,

I am a Hispanic applicant fluent in Spanish too. I was wondering how that influences my school list. Were there certain schools that you recommended on the above school list that are interested in these Spanish-speaking applicants?
 
Thank you for your feedback! My master's degree was in Biotech at Rush, and most of my research experience was completed there. I'll also have a letter of rec from my PI, who offered to write an additional letter to the admissions committee if needed. I've seen mixed opinions on faculty sending advocacy letters directly to admissions committees, so I was curious whether you think that would be worthwhile.

Each admissions committee will have rules about whether such letters would be acceptable for file review. Even a letter from the dean may not be acceptable. It's always best to ask the admissions team after you interview.

I agree regarding primary care shadowing. Unfortunately, finding opportunities has been challenging, and I'm not sure I'll be able to secure anything before secondaries are submitted.

Jeremy Scott Fashion GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Make It Work Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap