MD & DO WAMC 510 MCAT 3.63GPA URM

Started by Valeri2122
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Valeri2122

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. sGPA 3.63, sGPA 3.54
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. 510
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. Wisconsin
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Undergrad. Major Clinical Laboratory Science, Minor Chemistry.
  6. Clinical experience (All paid, rough estimations)
    1. 2000 hours EMT-B
    2. 2200 hours EMT-P.
    3. 300 hours Critical care paramedic (time of application)
    4. 500 hours blood bank
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Around 20~ hours pre-COVID. Research was never restarted. I was never interested in this, though.
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 40 hours, FM/EM/IM/Neuro etc.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 60 hours (started in nov, but had periods of sickness), estimated 100 when applying.
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Multiple gap years 4.
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Cum Laude graduate at undergrad.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
I had gone back and forth on doing medical school for quite a while over the last half a year or so and ultimately decided to commit. Never realized how much I enjoyed working with patients and such until I didn't do it anymore. No crazy x factors that I can think about. I won't be doing an early application, and will probably be waiting until early July due to my letter of recs being extremely busy with the end of semester/summer classes. I did not email them sooner, so ultimately that is my fault and not theirs.

I'm not really sure what schools to apply to other than local, instate. That being MCW/UW-Madison. Was hoping to get some better guidance, as I did not really have a pre-med advisor and advising is no longer offered to me through my instiution.
 
What did you do for 60 hours of non-clinical volunteering? Have you met with any admissions recruiters?
Local food pantry. around 75% of my hours are slated to be person-facing and 25% being non person-facing.

I have not. I did not want to reach out on a burner email/personal email for a simple question like "what would make my chances to be accept be improved here?" or something similar/less direct, or even "What schools should I apply to?" Seemed rather rude.

From my own inquiries via MSAR, I at least meet all requirements/can meet all requirements by marticulation if I were accepted this current cycle. I am not too worried on course prereqs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Local food pantry. around 75% of my hours are slated to be person-facing and 25% being non person-facing.

I have not. I did not want to reach out on a burner email/personal email for a simple question like "what would make my chances to be accept be improved here?" or something similar/less direct, or even "What schools should I apply to?" Seemed rather rude.
That's why you show up in-person for an on-campus or virtual recruitment event. Many admissions teams offer limited advising appointments to those who are about to apply (which means, you probably missed the window between December and April, but a few schools will have programming through June).

From my own inquiries via MSAR, I at least meet all requirements/can meet all requirements by marticulation if I were accepted this current cycle. I am not too worried on course prereqs.
Sure, but who knows how many applicants you are up against have done all their requirements before applying. There are quite a few, and unless you have articulated a strong mission fit, not having all your prereqs is a good reason to get passed over.
 
You should have 150+ hours at the food pantry since some schools screen at 150 hours. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Wisconsin
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Ponce (St. Louis)
TCU
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
NOVA MD
Methodist
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Brigham Young (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
LECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
 
You should have 150+ hours at the food pantry since some schools screen at 150 hours. I suggest these schools with your stats:
U Wisconsin
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Ponce (St. Louis)
TCU
Roseman
Alice Walton
Belmont
NOVA MD
Methodist
Wake Forest
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Brigham Young (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
DMU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
AZCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
LECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
Thank you!
Ill be sure to look into mission fit as well and see if they align with my beliefs.
I appreciate the advice from both of you!