UMDNJ to raise tuition 21%, main selling point is now: "Scenic Newark"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HAART

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/07/umdnj_to_raise_tuition_21_perc.html

Thank you bankrupt New Jersey. Thank you budget cutter Chris Christie.

Tuition at New Jersey Medical School is now ~33k. This is comparable to the 40k+ that private schools cost.

The difference? My beloved NJMS has a library that looks like it hasn't been updated since the 1960's (save the addition of computers, that still show signs saying "please do not remove floppy disks from the library!"). There are mice in the library.

I'm pretty sure its the only medical school library that, due to funding cuts, CANNOT AFFORD TO BE OPEN ON SATURDAY. So they cut staff and ceased operation on Saturdays.

The main attraction remaining: beautiful, crime-infested, Newark. And I mean that in a tongue-in-cheek way, yes, but also seriously: a fantastic ER with lots of gunshot victims (I'm sure it makes for a great rotation!) and HIV rates off the charts leading to some great research being done.

/rant

Would you still recommend going to NJMS over a private school that costs around 42k (say, Temple)? Any of you have thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh boo hoo. You're not the only state whose state school's tuition is in the 30s.

Tuition at New Jersey Medical School is now ~33k. This is comparable to the 40k+ that private schools cost.

The difference? My beloved NJMS has a library that looks like it hasn't been updated since the 1960's (save the addition of computers, that still show signs saying "please do not remove floppy disks from the library!"). There are mice in the library.

I'm pretty sure its the only medical school library that, due to funding cuts, CANNOT AFFORD TO BE OPEN ON SATURDAY. So they cut staff and ceased operation on Saturdays.

The main attraction remaining: beautiful, crime-infested, Newark. And I mean that in a tongue-in-cheek way, yes, but also seriously: a fantastic ER with lots of gunshot victims (I'm sure it makes for a great rotation!) and HIV rates off the charts leading to some great research being done.

/rant

Would you still recommend going to NJMS over a private school that costs around 42k (say, Temple)? Any of you have thoughts on this?

Keep+Calm+and+Carry+On+%28red%29.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
u mad?

on another note, its america so of course they'll dry and clean you out.

UIC (illinois) is screwed too. the health library is never open past midnight. tuition is around 35. and their facilities suck monkey balls

/rant

Lol at this. You assail the bankruptcy of your state but at the same time see Chris Christie's budgetary restraint as a problem. This is the "politics of me" at its finest. Christie is cutting spending across the board, deal with it. Your tuition isn't ridiculously high.

Overall your family is saving money if they have a home and an income since he won't raise state taxes and limited real estate tax increases.

property tax in NJ is ridiculous as is. my teachers from my public high school now make like six figs (published state data). i miss jersey tho. and the gas prices

Members don't see this ad :)
can somebody remind me why some people want the government in charge of our health when they cannot even run a med school correctly?

FALSE :rolleyes:

Not only is tuition already 32k, but Illinois also charges for summers...add ~11k for 2 years and we win

Even my dad hates teaching there and he doesn't have to pay for it:laugh:

LMAO. The one night I spent in Newark for an interview I woke up to TWO different shootings a block a way in opposite directions from the hotel I stayed in.

I would prefer greatly to never go to Newark ever again. This coming from someone who has stayed in Detroit, Baltimore, DC, NYC, and Philly.

can somebody remind me why some people want the government in charge of our health when they cannot even run a med school correctly?

What are you talking about? The government did a great job with Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, BMVs, and the Post Office. Not to mention the War on Drugs and the War on Poverty. I'm sure that in addition to all these successes we could add providing more people than possible with more health services than practically feasible, all while decreasing our budget deficit.

What are you talking about? The government did a great job with Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, BMVs, and the Post Office. Not to mention the War on Drugs and the War on Poverty. I'm sure that in addition to all these successes we could add providing more people than possible with more health services than practically feasible, all while decreasing our budget deficit.

:laugh::thumbup:

LMAO. The one night I spent in Newark for an interview I woke up to TWO different shootings a block a way in opposite directions from the hotel I stayed in.

I would prefer greatly to never go to Newark ever again. This coming from someone who has stayed in Detroit, Baltimore, DC, NYC, and Philly.

You thought you had it bad. Try getting a gun pointed at you while you're in the car and stuck because you can't go back b/c cars are blocking you from behind and somehow a funeral procession decided you're getting in the way of their left hand turn during a red light. Gives a whole new meaning to Death at a Funeral, doesn't it? Yes, this is Newark at its finest at times.

:eek::eek:

But I still love it.

No offense -- not to get political, but here in Virginia medical school tuition at UVA is $35,150. Gov. Bob McDonnell now has Virginia from a 1.8 billion dollar deficit to a 220 million dollar surplus. We all face challenges because we can't keep spending money we don't have. If you don't like your state school go somewhere else. It's not my fault Gov. Corzine polluted your state with billions of dollars of debt. Gov. Christie is balancing the budget and that's a hard act to follow after Corzine's billion dollar spending spree.

This is probably a stupid question, but when people talk about tuition is it per semester or year?

At least your state schools take majority of residents from your state.. Freaking Pennsylvania sucks.. I think the only school in PA with majority state residents in TCMC while Penn State take majority OOS.. >/ It makes me so mad...

Yea well we didn't cause the deficit either and they don't have to tell us 2 weeks before school starts...we already have a high cost of living too not like in bumble**** VA or Illinois

Not to mention the War on Drugs and the War on Poverty. I'm sure that in addition to all these successes we could add providing more people than possible with more health services than practically feasible, all while decreasing our budget deficit.

The post office runs great. They are required to deliver to ****tacular locations where no one else goes and yet they take my letter from here to alaska for fifty cents. Sounds good to me. Social security is a great net, and medicare > dying due to no care.

Let's have some perspective here please. There are inefficiences, and we are taxed too low to pay for all the services we should have (and we spend a trillion per year on our military, cutting that to $200bn would still keep us by far the largest military and would pay for caddilac insurance for every American, as well massive increase in social security), but this Limbaugh-ite broad brush against the government is an insult to your intelligence.

At least your state schools take majority of residents from your state.. Freaking Pennsylvania sucks.. I think the only school in PA with majority state residents in TCMC while Penn State take majority OOS.. >/ It makes me so mad...

Not true, the stats are skewed because all you have to do for residency is get an nj drivers license before you start and boom in state tuition so 99% of people do this and it looks like 99% are from nj in the accepted #s

I thought there was a cap on how much they can raise tuition in a given year

The post office runs great. They are required to deliver to ****tacular locations where no one else goes and yet they take my letter from here to alaska for fifty cents. Sounds good to me. Social security is a great net, and medicare > dying due to no care.

Let's have some perspective here please. There are inefficiences, and we are taxed too low to pay for all the services we should have (and we spend a trillion per year on our military, cutting that to $200bn would still keep us by far the largest military and would pay for caddilac insurance for every American, as well massive increase in social security), but this Limbaugh-ite broad brush against the government is an insult to your intelligence.

Social security is plain and simple a pyramid scheme. If the govt was a private org, it would be in deep **** for that program.

Yes SS is just a way Americans eat their young...yea evolution

Social security is plain and simple a pyramid scheme. If the govt was a private org, it would be in deep **** for that program.

Any civil society is a pytamid scheme. The rich always contribute more than the poor in all services. The young pay for the old. The healthy pay for the sick in insurance pools.

That's sort of the point of a civil society.

"The government" does not RUN medical schools. The argument in this thread is (seriously) the government sucks because they can't subsidize your education as much as you want them to. Does anyone else see the hilarity in that?

"The government" does not RUN medical schools. The argument in this thread is (seriously) the government sucks because they can't subsidize your education as much as you want them to. Does anyone else see the hilarity in that?

It's not the subsidy..it's the astronomical rise in tuition costs...I could do without the subsidy if tuition didn't rise at such an insane rate...Georgetown was 32k like 10 yrs ago now 47k...similar across the board and what's inflation? See the hilarity in that?

Any civil society is a pytamid scheme. The rich always contribute more than the poor in all services. The young pay for the old. The healthy pay for the sick in insurance pools.

That's sort of the point of a civil society.

What you just said is silly. Pyramid schemes are inherently unsustainable. You just said that civil society is unsustainable.

History shows that all previous civilized societies have an expiration date....and in other parts of the world governments come and go as do countries...all made up with people like us

What you just said is silly. Pyramid schemes are inherently unsustainable. You just said that civil society is unsustainable.

lol did you post this as a joke or do you actually believe that first world societies are sustainable

None of the things we are talking about are unsustainable. If you deliberately don't fund it enough, they'll run out of money. There is certainly more than enough money in our taxable incomes to pay for all that, and then some. We just spend that money on other things (like a trillion/year on the military-industrial complex - whereas a $100bn/year healthcare plan caused people to blow their lid).

For example, if you made everyone pay tax on their full income, like most of us do, instead of 85% of their income, SS would be fixed forever.

boo ****ing hoo ... you know how many people would STILL pay that or maybe even more just to get the chance to go to med school?

None of the things we are talking about are unsustainable. If you deliberately don't fund it enough, they'll run out of money. There is certainly more than enough money in our taxable incomes to pay for all that, and then some. We just spend that money on other things (like a trillion/year on the military-industrial complex - whereas a $100bn/year healthcare plan caused people to blow their lid).

For example, if you made everyone pay tax on their full income, like most of us do, instead of 85% of their income, SS would be fixed forever.

I agree with you as far as our country having a ridiculous budget for defense. However, the post office is not nearly as good as fedex or ups at delivering and tracking packages and gets partially funded by tax money. SS is set to run out of money if nothing is done about it. MEdicaid...good luck finding a doctor who accepts it. Medicare...becoming like medicaid. The doctor is actually paying to see you as the miserable reimbursement rates are lower than what the office pays the staff to collect that reimbursement. Again, these are failures after failures. With such a track record, I for sure would not trust them with my health, or at least I want the option of not having to trust them with it. If you decide to, it's great. Please don't ask me to pay for it.

It's not the subsidy..it's the astronomical rise in tuition costs...I could do without the subsidy if tuition didn't rise at such an insane rate...Georgetown was 32k like 10 yrs ago now 47k...similar across the board and what's inflation? See the hilarity in that?

That doesn't make any sense. The reason state schools are (usually) cheaper than private schools is BECAUSE the government picks up part of the tab. Without the "subsidy", you're going to see an astronomical rise in tuition costs, period. Just look at Tufts.

Secondly, the public universities students here like the most happen to be in states like Texas, where the government puts strong regulations on how many out of state students they accept and how much tuition they can charge.

The public universities people like the least are the ones where the government doesn't do ENOUGH to help them. And then, of course, they complain that the government sucks and should stop meddling in schools at all, when that would produce a more expensive outcome and what they really want is MORE assistance.

I agree with you as far as our country having a ridiculous budget for defense. However, the post office is not nearly as good as fedex or ups at delivering and tracking packages and gets partially funded by tax money.

It also has many more restrictions than FedEx, which affects cost. They provide services in a wider area, by law, which is unprofitable. That's why it is partially funded.

SS is set to run out of money if nothing is done about it. MEdicaid...good luck finding a doctor who accepts it. Medicare...becoming like medicaid. The doctor is actually paying to see you as the miserable reimbursement rates are lower than what the office pays the staff to collect that reimbursement. Again, these are failures after failures. With such a track record, I for sure would not trust them with my health, or at least I want the option of not having to trust them with it. If you decide to, it's great. Please don't ask me to pay for it.

Again, it's a problem of people not wanting to pay for it, and then complaining that they are running out of money. It's the oldest political trick in the book. Cut funding or don't fund it enough, and then slam the program. Hell, I know firsthand that this even happens at the local township level.

Frankly, I trust them more with it than I trust my insurance company. Just like I'd rather have police protection provided by the government through collective taxation than mercenaries hired by those who could pay. There are certain basic services that I think ought to be part of a modern society. All the other first world countries recognize this except us.

I've been in French hospitals - they're great too. The US doesn't have a monopoly on great care, and it's certainly not the only, or the best, way to provide care.

boo ****ing hoo ... you know how many people would STILL pay that or maybe even more just to get the chance to go to med school?

Yea idiots who just want a status symbol..the rest worry about what the rest of the world worries about, job prospects and wages and returns on investments

That doesn't make any sense. The reason state schools are (usually) cheaper than private schools is BECAUSE the government picks up part of the tab. Without the "subsidy", you're going to see an astronomical rise in tuition costs, period. Just look at Tufts.

Secondly, the public universities students here like the most happen to be in states like Texas, where the government puts strong regulations on how many out of state students they accept and how much tuition they can charge.

The public universities people like the least are the ones where the government doesn't do ENOUGH to help them. And then, of course, they complain that the government sucks and should stop meddling in schools at all, when that would produce a more expensive outcome and what they really want is MORE assistance.

Yes it does if you read it...I could handle the cost without if tuition didn't rise at such an insane rate over the past 30-40 years, **** even 10 as I pointed out and it's the for profit universities (not private) that screwed us like univ of phoenix...we have awful interest rates compared to past, less of a % subsidized, and no deferral like docs had in the past

It also has many more restrictions than FedEx, which affects cost. They provide services in a wider area, by law, which is unprofitable. That's why it is partially funded.

Again, it's a problem of people not wanting to pay for it, and then complaining that they are running out of money. It's the oldest political trick in the book. Cut funding or don't fund it enough, and then slam the program. Hell, I know firsthand that this even happens at the local township level.

Frankly, I trust them more with it than I trust my insurance company. Just like I'd rather have police protection provided by the government through collective taxation than mercenaries hired by those who could pay. There are certain basic services that I think ought to be part of a modern society. All the other first world countries recognize this except us.

I've been in French hospitals - they're great too. The US doesn't have a monopoly on great care, and it's certainly not the only, or the best, way to provide care.

Why do all their top political figures and rich get stuff done here then?

Why do all their top political figures and rich get stuff done here then?

For the same reason many Americans go outside. America has a fantastic system for those who can afford it. Yet we spend twice as much and leave tens of millions without insurance.

I'm sure if I paid a million bucks per year for my private security force, I'd feel safer than with the city police. But we as a society decide that some things should be available to everyone.