Dilemma About Undressing for Clinical Skills Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lara412

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just do it. It won't be that bad. Everyone is going to be focused on the exams, and if they ask "what happened" just tell them. You are all adults and going to be professionals. Immersion is the best therapy for that kind of thing.

You'll probably see patients who are way worse off. They'll be just as embarassed if not worse, but they'll be revealing themselves to you. The least you could do is enter into a situation where you can at least experience what they go through.

Members don't see this ad :)
My school has told us that we will need to wear shorts and a tank top to clinical skills lab so that we can practice physical exams on each other. I usually dress rather conservatively due to religious reasons, but understand the educational value of this activity and am trying to mentally wrap my head around having to participate in this activity. I don't mind wearing a tank top, but when it comes to my legs I have a different, additional problem:

My legs are covered in scars from bug bites and scratching due to dry skin, and I bruise easily, so I always have bruises on my legs. In summary, my legs are really embarrassing to expose and I would feel absolutely humiliated if I had to expose them to my entire class. I never, ever expose my legs in public. Doing this would absolutely kill me.

What should I do?

Most likely, the exam tables will have curtains which can be closed, so only your partner would see you, not the whole class.

I think pulling the religious reason card is kind of a weak excuse. You'll encounter patients who have the same anxieties and you will still want/need them to expose certain areas for a proper exam.

Having practiced this stuff with classmates before, nobody gives a damn. I know it is hard to realize that but it is true. There is also a rule within our school at least that anything discussed in a small group or whatever else is to be kept within that group. We tend to be pretty serious about that just because it is a good habit to have.

If it's really an issue and you'll have a panic attack if you have to do it, talk to a dean or something. I'd mostly be afraid though that you'll attract way more attention for being the only person wearing pants than having scars.

Also, look into body makeup. I have a friend who has that exact same problem and she found this great body concealer/foundation thing and she puts it on her legs during the summer so she can wear shorts and you can't see anything. Just go to a pharmacy or like Sephora or something.

I think you could discuss this with the course director, or an upperclassman, or your advisor if you have one. It's a very common concern, and maybe having more details like who will be able to see you, or how is confidentiality addressed, will ease your anxiety a bit. We had partners, were given gowns for relevant exams, and were in rooms with doors and curtains. It was still nerve wracking for me, but it's not a bad thing to be reminded from time to time what it's like to be on the receiving end of an inexperienced exam.

It won't be a big deal because everybody, including yourself, will be too busy with trying to learn the examination routine and technique.

think about the poor women who get sterile cervical checks by med students...

You'll probably see patients who are way worse off. They'll be just as embarassed if not worse, but they'll be revealing themselves to you. The least you could do is enter into a situation where you can at least experience what they go through.
look, the context of a patient being undressed in front of her physician is completely different than that of one medical student being undressed in front of another. there's no comparison there, and it's a ******ed-ass argument that's made way too often. Do you think we should practice DREs and pelvics on each other too? I doubt the OP has a problem being undressed in front of her doctor.

I say you should just show up in yoga pants or something. Nobody's gonna say anything to you; the teacher probably won't even notice. If s/he does, just pull them aside and tell them the situation--they'll understand. This is not that big of a deal, you certainly don't need to talk to your advisor or a dean about it. I mean, it's just a pair of pants--so what if you're partner won't be able to elicit you patellar reflexes.

The loose fitting yoga pants is a good idea. This isn't the type of thing where you are in underwear with a gown or something. It's shorts and a tank top usually, and separated by sex. The only time anyone will be going near your bare leg is for patellar reflex. For the rest of the lower extremity exam you can have pants on. Pulling up your pants for 30 seconds to get your knee banged won't be that big a deal. If you show up in sweats, no one will bat an eye.

Do you think we should practice DREs and pelvics on each other too? I doubt the OP has a problem being undressed in front of her doctor.

Actually, until very recently students at my school were partnered together for pelvics. Horrifying? Yes. Last year we did breast exams with our partners. I found that hard to perform as well as receive. That's why I suggested she talk with someone AT her school so that she can find out what these sessions really involve.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, until very recently students at my school were partnered together for pelvics. Horrifying? Yes. Last year we did breast exams with our partners. I found that hard to perform as well as receive. That's why I suggested she talk with someone AT her school so that she can find out what these sessions really involve.

What school? I don't believe that. You had male med students performing breast and pelvic exams on female students? And female students feeling prostates and testes? No way.

What school? I don't believe that. You had male med students performing breast and pelvic exams on female students? And female students feeling prostates and testes? No way.

No, we were paired by gender. Although actually that wasn't mandated, just a guideline. We picked our own partners from classmates. We did not do pelvics, just breast - I believe pelvics were phased out less than 4 years ago though, and my school isn't the only school where students were recently paired up for pelvics (usually in second year).

No, we were paired by gender. Although actually that wasn't mandated, just a guideline. We picked our own partners from classmates. We did not do pelvics, just breast - I believe pelvics were phased out less than 4 years ago though, and my school isn't the only school where students were recently paired up for pelvics (usually in second year).

So how did men learn breast exams?

There were probably lines forming around select students.

Any school that has students performing pelvics on one another should lose accreditation.

Why cant they spring for some standardized Pts.

There were probably lines forming around select students.

Any school that has students performing pelvics on one another should lose accreditation.

Unless it is extracurricular. In which case it's a PAR-TAY!

So basically you weren't officially taught to do breast exams using student volunteers, your school just suggested that if two people wanted to practice they could pair up? That's a pretty different thing.

There was a prosthetic they placed on their partner's chest.

It is/was pretty common. I was horrified too.

Why cant they spring for some standardized Pts.

They do now.

Unless it is extracurricular. In which case it's a PAR-TAY!

There are plenty of small group sessions available each week for additional practice. :p

So basically you weren't officially taught to do breast exams using student volunteers, your school just suggested that if two people wanted to practice they could pair up? That's a pretty different thing.

In our physical diagnosis I class we were paired up (we got to choose our partner), and met to learn each portion of the physical exam by performing it on our partner, with a 4th year supervising/instructing. It was absolutely official. I believe for PD II this year it will be the same, except pelvics/rectals will be performed on SPs.

Look guys, yes, I know it's surprising. I was shocked. That's why I responded to the OP the way I did, because her fears aren't completely unfounded. However, like I also said, it isn't actually hugely unusual - I know of at least 3 other schools that do it this way. I don't want to get into school names because I don't like a lot of identifying info floating around, but ask around your school, you might be surprised what you learn.

A prosthetic? Hell I'd let someone lawnmower over my man-boobs. Not sure what they'd learn, but at least as much as on a prosthetic...

A prosthetic? Hell I'd let someone lawnmower over my man-boobs. Not sure what they'd learn, but at least as much as on a prosthetic...

Actually the prosthetic was creepily lifelike, and includes lumps of various types so that you can feel for yourself how different lumps require different pressures to detect. It was kind of cool.

Incidentally, back to the larger issue of exams on fellow students - twice in the past four years students have found previously undetected malignant tumors in the course of examining their partners. One redeeming aspect I suppose.

Incidentally, back to the larger issue of exams on fellow students - twice in the past four years students have found previously undetected malignant tumors in the course of examining their partners. One redeeming aspect I suppose.

That's bizarre.

I can see doing breast exams if both partners are willing, but I just can't imagine requesting female volunteers for pelvics from classmates. Has anyone actually heard of this happening and where? Why doesn't your school just do the breast exam on the gyn teaching associates....thats what they do at our school. You do it all at the same time.

Actually the prosthetic was creepily lifelike, and includes lumps of various types so that you can feel for yourself how different lumps require different pressures to detect. It was kind of cool.

Umm....I'm not even a super-modest person and I would have opted out of letting even my best med school friend feel me up and gone for the prosthetics. There is no way I would be letting someone I know do a breast or pelvic exam. That is absolutely strange. Did the guys have to let each other do prostate/testicle exams on each other?? I don't see why/how they could make girls pair up for real breast exams without offering to let them choose not to do that. I see many places where religion/personal reasons would cause someone to be uncomfortable with that.

Umm....I'm not even a super-modest person and I would have opted out of letting even my best med school friend feel me up and gone for the prosthetics. There is no way I would be letting someone I know do a breast or pelvic exam. That is absolutely strange. Did the guys have to let each other do prostate/testicle exams on each other?? I don't see why/how they could make girls pair up for real breast exams without offering to let them choose not to do that. I see many places where religion/personal reasons would cause someone to be uncomfortable with that.

Yeah, I don't think you even need religious/personal reasons. I don't really want anyone I know ever examining my prostate. It's just awkward. How many of you girls would go to a friend who becomes an OB/Gyn?

look, the context of a patient being undressed in front of her physician is completely different than that of one medical student being undressed in front of another. there's no comparison there, and it's a ******ed-ass argument that's made way too often. Do you think we should practice DREs and pelvics on each other too? I doubt the OP has a problem being undressed in front of her doctor.

I say you should just show up in yoga pants or something. Nobody's gonna say anything to you; the teacher probably won't even notice. If s/he does, just pull them aside and tell them the situation--they'll understand. This is not that big of a deal, you certainly don't need to talk to your advisor or a dean about it. I mean, it's just a pair of pants--so what if you're partner won't be able to elicit you patellar reflexes.

Good post.

+1. I know they say breast exams shouldn't hurt, so maybe it's just me, but they always do a little for me even with skilled physicians - there's no way I'm letting a newbie medical student near them - ouch!

OP (if you're still reading this), our syllabus said shorts too, but I forgot and wore pants. My preceptor didn't care, and the only time I had to lift the pant legs up was 1 day for the knee exam.

I can see doing breast exams if both partners are willing, but I just can't imagine requesting female volunteers for pelvics from classmates. Has anyone actually heard of this happening and where?

I believe this used to be done, but don't know of any place still doing it.

I can see doing breast exams if both partners are willing, but I just can't imagine requesting female volunteers for pelvics from classmates. Has anyone actually heard of this happening and where?

What would be the price tag if that was the scenario? Ladies, would you do it for a year of free tuition?

What would be the price tag if that was the scenario? Ladies, would you do it for a year of free tuition?
yes.. i would let anoter student give me a pelvic exam for a year of free tuition but only supervised by an actual doctor.

Same here.

yes.. i would let anoter student give me a pelvic exam for a year of free tuition but only supervised by an actual doctor.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I'd take a year of tuition for a prostate exam. That's like 30 grand for 2 min of discomfort.

No, I mean being the SP for your entire class.

I don't think I could take 170 exams. Maybe if they were spaced out over the whole year? Like 15/month. I'd be worried about longterm rectal damage.