Free PM&R Residency Fair in Seattle!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fozzy40

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Medical Students,

The AAPM&R will be holding a free medical student symposium and PM&R residency fair. This is definitely a good opportunity to get more information about residency/fellowship and network just before the interview season starts.

Please check out the link below for details:

Understanding PM&R: A Medical Student's Guide to Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation

Good luck!

fozzy40

Members don't see this ad.

Awesome opportunity -- I'm signed up and ready to go. :thumbup:

Thanks for the information!

hmm this looks great and I would LOVE to attend...but flying across the country (from Penn State) for a single day event makes it difficult to spend all that money in travel and lodging.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's definitely an expensive hike. There is a travel stipend raffle that students are eligible for to help with some of the costs. You can always check and see if your school has a travel scholarship as well.

Penn State has a dean's travel fund that u can apply for. You can also split lodging cost with other students.

very true. I hadn't really paid much attention to it until I ran across this conversation. I will have to look into the fund a bit further now. Hopefully I can make any deadlines in time for this event.

I hope that you guys will be able to make it to Seattle!

The AAPM&R also just posted a "Medical Student Guide to PM&R" to help guide medical school years through the eyes of a physiatrist! Enjoy!

fozzy40

How much is it for medical students to register to attend?

The one-day medical student symposium and residency fair is free.

Here is the current list of confirmed residency programs participating:
http://www.aapmr.org/medstu/understand_pmr_resident.htm

Enjoy!

Thanks so much!! I signed up the conference way back in August/early Sep and at that time, I didn't even know there was going to be a residency fair! I'm a 4th year medical student applying for PM&R residencies this year so I'm looking forward to meeting other medical students, residents, and attendings to learn more about the field. There's a med student-resident reception on Friday too right?

Anyone staying at the conference hotel? I'm getting in Thursday night (assuming my flight from the east coast is on time!) If anyone wants to meet up, lemme know :oops:

Thanks so much!! I signed up the conference way back in August/early Sep and at that time, I didn't even know there was going to be a residency fair! I'm a 4th year medical student applying for PM&R residencies this year so I'm looking forward to meeting other medical students, residents, and attendings to learn more about the field. There's a med student-resident reception on Friday too right?

Anyone staying at the conference hotel? I'm getting in Thursday night (assuming my flight from the east coast is on time!) If anyone wants to meet up, lemme know :oops:

No problem. Yes, the reception is on Friday. Make sure to bring your friends!

I'm an M1 and will be going with my PI to present a poster. I'm signed up for the med student day, but am I'm thinking that I'll be odd man out because I'm so early in my career. Anyone been to the meeting before? Will I be the odd man out? Just sort of randomly fell into the research position, haven't really thought about PMR as an eventual choice of mine. I'm just hoping that I get something out of this conference other than a poster presentation for my CV.

Don't have airfare/hotel even arranged yet, and I'm still waiting on confirmation that I can miss classes to do this, so really it's still up in the air. Still somewhat questioning if it's even really worth my time to go.

That's awesome that you have poster presentation already! I have been to past ones and there are usually a mix of medical students. It's a good day to get some exposure to the field, especially if you are at a medical school that does not really have a PM&R presence. However, it is really expensive for just one day. Seattle is an awesome city so and there is plenty to do and people to meet, I would go based on that! That's just me though.

The Medical Student Symposium and Residency Fair had a great turn out. :thumbup:

The physicians that presented were entertaining and are very passionate about the field. There was a Question & Answer session lead by residents in which they candidly answered questions, as the attendings left the room.

I met a lot of great people and I would highly suggest traveling to the Symposium next year. The residency fair was informative and it was a great time to network, as many of the attendings / chairs from PM&R departments across the country were present.

The Symposium is a great opportunity for any medical student interested in PM&R (there was at least 20 first and second year students in the audience).

Mark your calendars for next year:

2011: November 17-20 Orlando, FL
Gaylord Palms Hotel & Convention Center

I'll be heading back next year. :banana:

Glad you enjoyed it! The energy in the room was amazing. Make sure to spread the word!

bump

Make sure to mark your calendars!

Bump...It's just around the corner!