Finding research opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

musicmajor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a post-bacc student interested in getting into doing medical research. I started my post-bacc in January and since then, I have been looking for opportunities to get basic experience in a research setting, but I haven't had much luck cold emailing researchers whose investigations seem interesting. I have wide range of research interests, but I feel that I've been held back by my lack of basic science education. I am learning Chemistry, Bio, Physics, Calc etc. and I want to start leveraging that knowledge into experience. Hopefully I can find something so that I can carry on in a research related job through my gap year, so that when I get to medical school, I will have a solid foundation of research work. My interests are currently in addiction physiology and I hope to get involved in some neuroimaging studies related to that, or anything that is complementary to this avenue of research. Any ideas on methods for identifying research projects and finding a way in?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a post-bacc student interested in getting into doing medical research. I started my post-bacc in January and since then, I have been looking for opportunities to get basic experience in a research setting, but I haven't had much luck cold emailing researchers whose investigations seem interesting. I have wide range of research interests, but I feel that I've been held back by my lack of basic science education. I am learning Chemistry, Bio, Physics, Calc etc. and I want to start leveraging that knowledge into experience. Hopefully I can find something so that I can carry on in a research related job through my gap year, so that when I get to medical school, I will have a solid foundation of research work. My interests are currently in addiction physiology and I hope to get involved in some neuroimaging studies related to that, or anything that is complementary to this avenue of research. Any ideas on methods for identifying research projects and finding a way in?

1) The best way I have found is via direct contact. Talk to post-docs or grad students to see if there are any openings in their groups. Send emails to all the professors and go see them in their office if they don't get back to you.

2) Because you are short on experience, and because you will likely be leaving in a year, you will have a hard time finding someone who will pay you. If you are willing to work for free, let them know! I have a hard time believing there are no professors at your school who will accept free labor.

3) Don't be picky. Try for what you are interested in but take what you can get. Research experience is research experience.

4) From the get go, try to get involved with a project that you can do a poster or a presentation on. That shows that you were more actively involved than just being a pipet monkey.

I agree with what the post above says :)..

I think you are a little picky, as well lol... As an undergrad, I can comment on my experiences. I started with a research project that was directed towards ecology for 8 months. I then moved to a project in psychiatry and drug effects where I spent approx 1.5 years. These were all experiences, but not something I really really wanted. I was then fortunate enough to gain an independent project on eye development which I love. So, what I am trying to say is that you may have to work your way up to something as amazing as what you are seeking. You should definitely try though, but also be open to something else that "sounds" interesting to you. Just a thought :)...

Thanks for the tips. I'll keep an open mind about research projects, and the advice about getting involved in a project where I can do a poster or a presentation is well taken.

One thing that I believe has been hindering my efforts is that, at my university, many students have been asking profs to participate in their research as volunteers. Apparently, it has become a problem as many of the students either don't have the right skills to work well in the labs, or they lack the ability to follow through on their commitments. The Chem department recently had to institute a seminar course which was required for students volunteering in research labs. So I'm up against a glut of people who think they need research experience on their resumes, but don't have the wherewithal to actually do the research volunteer work.

I suppose the only thing to do is to keep trying.