Full-time job and full-time post-bacc or quit and find part-time work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dataengnyc

Reaction score
In June, I quit my full-time job with the intention of getting part-time jobs in clinical research and scribing. However, shortly after I quit I was offered a full-time job in my original field (software engineering) and accepted it because the company is pretty chill and I should be able to balance the full-time work schedule with full-time school schedule. Also I live in NYC and having a decent paycheck and health insurance is very helpful.

However, I'm quickly realizing that apart from weekend volunteering, this schedule leaves very little time for clinical experience. I work 9-5 and starting at the end of this month I'll have classes until 10:45 pm some nights, about an hour on the train from where I live.

It feels stupid to sacrifice my salary though, and I'm wondering if anyone has done the same and had it work out. In terms of savings, I keep about $30k in the bank and have equity from my previous company that's currently worth about $400k. I would not withdraw from my 401k. I'm 26 and live alone/don't have financial contributions from anyone else.

Members don't see this ad.

Are prehealth advisors available at the school where you are taking classes? There isn't much you can do but find free clinics or hospitals where you can work until you have time. Hospice also works. I wouldn't quit my source of income that easily.

You’re in NYC with high CoL. Keep the job and keep trucking at the post bac. You don’t need thousands of hours of clinical/volunteering. If you do a chill 8 hrs of those per week on the weekends (doable with 4 hrs each day), after a year you’ll have over 400 hours. After 2 years (a standard period for postbacc), you got 800. You can apply for scribe companies on a part time or PRN basis and only take weekend shifts if you really want.

I'm in a similar position, I work full-time and I have a part-time job and I'm getting my masters full-time, I say you can do it. I recommend finding a place and sticking to one. As long as you are seeing patients and can talk about it then having the 2 years at one place will be better for you since you have a routine and look better in the long run. The two things you need to avoid would be burning out and using burnout as an excuse to take more days off than you need if that makes sense. With volunteering or part-time you may not be expected to be there all the time and you have more flexibility but you just need to hold yourself to it so it doesn't fall to the side. Equally important is making sure you don't fall apart but I'm sure you got it.