FAMU class of 2015!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChippyChad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone~~~ Anyone planning apply to FAMU CoP this year? Oct 1st is right around the corner!! Are yall rdy??!:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be applying as a transient student, but I've heard it is extremely tough to get accepted since they are a 0-6 program.

So, their applications open up Oct. 1st? I called them a month ago, and a lady told me they would open them up sometime in October.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a Freshman here at FAMU. And I'm going to be COP class of 2017 (pharmD/MBA).
To the OP: does that mean that you go to pharmacy forums Thursday mornings? Because I have to attend this class that has NO credit, and I know that we have sophmores in our classroom, having to hear the same lecture for the second year (I think) :laugh::laugh: ...oh wait, thats gonna be me next year :scared:

I'll be applying as a transient student, but I've heard it is extremely tough to get accepted since they are a 0-6 program.

This is what I heard ALL THE TIME! Anyone know why? I understand they got their own pre-pharmacy student, but, are those pre-pharmacy students going to get in their pharmacy program 100%? Ugh... I am so frustrated now!!!!:scared:

This is what I heard ALL THE TIME! Anyone know why? I understand they got their own pre-pharmacy student, but, are those pre-pharmacy students going to get in their pharmacy program 100%? Ugh... I am so frustrated now!!!!:scared:

If the high school students get accepted into the 0-6 program, and they complete their two years of under-grad/pre-pharmacy with at least a C average then yes, they are automatically accepted into the pharmacy school.

I actually talked with one of my professors at FSU whose son went through the 0-6 program straight out of high school, and that is the information that I gathered.

JD

any idea about FAMU's interview to accpet ratio?

App starts today!!!!!

It actually opened up earlier this week. I finished with everything, except for applying through their undergraduate program.

I can't figure out which undergraduate application to fill out though: I'm pretty sure it is the post-bacc one, but it says it's for individuals with a BS applying for their second BS. I tried calling them about this on Wednesday, but I did not get a clear answer...hmm...

JD

Wondering if anyone got an acceptance letter yet...

Hey, did anyone apply to FAMU for Fall 2011?

Hey, did anyone apply to FAMU for Fall 2011?
I applied to Fall 2011. I just called they said they are still getting all the applications together and then they should be finish by next Thursday. Then it will take 4-8 weeks for us to get a respond.

I applied to Fall 2011. I just called they said they are still getting all the applications together and then they should be finish by next Thursday. Then it will take 4-8 weeks for us to get a respond.

Wow 4-8 weeks of waiting???? I applied as well for Fall 2011.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ok, thanks. They said the same thing to me

:clap: yayayyayaya got my interview letter today,, now next step is to schedule and go to Talla to got interviewed :luck:
I am a transfer student from a CC, so shout out to all the CC students who wanna transfer , dont lose hope :) keep on working hard towards your dreams..
now I am wondering, is anyone had interview before,and what type of questions they are asking ??:idea:
Thanks in advance

Congrats Karen. :)
I recently got accepted as a pre-pharm student for fall. I'm excited! :)

I just got an invitation for interview. has anybody been to the interview process, what type of questions were they asking? what is the layout on the interview day? any hint is welcome....

I have been invited to an interview. My interview is on March 28th! Good luck to everyone! :)

I just got an invitation for interview. has anybody been to the interview process, what type of questions were they asking? what is the layout on the interview day? any hint is welcome....
For the interview did you get a call or just a letter in the mail?

I will be applying for Fall 2012. Anyone, who got accepted or an interview invitation, mind sharing there gpa?

I just setup my interview for 3/30 and my cumulative GPA is 3.6 for those who want to know. I'm very excited to be interviewing.

When I was taking the PCAT, a guy I was talking to said that he got an interview with a 3.3gpa at FAMU

Does anyone know anything about the interview process for FAMU? I have an interview on 3/30, but I haven't been able to find anything pertaining to their interview process. Here are a few questions I can think of:

1) How many people interview at each interview day?

2) Is it a one-on-one interview or are there multiple people that interview you at once?

3) Is there a written portion of the interview?

4) How long until they inform you of their decision?

Thanks for any input on this everyone! :thumbup:

Hey everyone! Excited to be part of this forum! I had my interview this week for FAMU! I got a bit nervous :( but I really hope they saw that pharmacy is what I want to do and that I want to be a part of their school. It was awesome to be there! I really hope they get back to us soon. Do they end their inteviews in March? Because I heard they will still do more through April?

Go Rattlers! :)

Hey everyone! Excited to be part of this forum! I had my interview this week for FAMU! I got a bit nervous :( but I really hope they saw that pharmacy is what I want to do and that I want to be a part of their school. It was awesome to be there! I really hope they get back to us soon. Do they end their inteviews in March? Because I heard they will still do more through April?

Go Rattlers! :)

Can you tell me about the interview process and answer my questions in the post above yours? I have an interview on 3/30 and I have no idea how to prepare for it. Thanks!

Can you tell me about the interview process and answer my questions in the post above yours? I have an interview on 3/30 and I have no idea how to prepare for it. Thanks!

You can always call them and ask. That's what I did. There is no multiples of students being interviewed at one time and I looked up basic pharm interview questions online. Know why you want to be a pharmacist and just be yourself :cool:

has anyone received acceptance letter from FAMU? If so, how long did it take after the interview?

has anyone received acceptance letter from FAMU? If so, how long did it take after the interview?

I don't think we will hear anything until late April. Wish it was sooner though it's sooo hard to wait. Most people in the last year forum got theirs on April 21st.

Well I had my interview today and they told me they will send out acceptance letters around April 15th!

I don't know about the rest of you, but that interview was brutal! This school had the most difficult interview out of the three I have interviewed at so far. It was only 15 min long, but it felt like it took forever! I was not too happy at the fact that I drove 3 hours for a 15min interview and that was it. There was no tour of the facilities and no time to talk with current students. Oh well, we will just have to wait until after April 15th to see what they thought. I feel that I did terrible. I was extremely nervous at this interview and I blanked on all of the questions.:eek:

@ jdubya88: ok well I thought it was just me but yeah some of their questions caught me off guard. I also felt like I did horrible but we could be overreacting! Lol but my interview was for thirty minutes. Ugh now we have to wait! This is going to drive me crazy!

To let you guys prepare I had a friend who applied last year to FAMU. She graduated Valedictorian with a 4.0, great PCAT score, and lots of experience. She is also white.

In the interview, the first question was literally how comfortable would she be being around black people. And do black people scare her.

She was also asked if she would feel resentment if her entire class was black and she was the only "white girl" (YES, the woman said "WHITE GIRL")

They were very aggressive with their "questioning" and "comments" and she literally burst into tears when she got alone after she left. 2 weeks later she was accepted to UF and now attends.

My fiance's roommate also is graduating from FAMU this year. She has been denied several residencies, with reasons that the admins questioned the quality of her education at FAMU.

This is not a slight to FAMU, just two real life stories that I have experienced. I live in Tallahassee and chose not to apply there. I'm sure this is not the norm, but I hope that nobody else goes through what I witnessed and I just wanted to warn those who were interested. Good luck to all

To let you guys prepare I had a friend who applied last year to FAMU. She graduated Valedictorian with a 4.0, great PCAT score, and lots of experience. She is also white.

In the interview, the first question was literally how comfortable would she be being around black people. And do black people scare her.

She was also asked if she would feel resentment if her entire class was black and she was the only "white girl" (YES, the woman said "WHITE GIRL")

They were very aggressive with their "questioning" and "comments" and she literally burst into tears when she got alone after she left. 2 weeks later she was accepted to UF and now attends.

My fiance's roommate also is graduating from FAMU this year. She has been denied several residencies, with reasons that the admins questioned the quality of her education at FAMU.

This is not a slight to FAMU, just two real life stories that I have experienced. I live in Tallahassee and chose not to apply there. I'm sure this is not the norm, but I hope that nobody else goes through what I witnessed and I just wanted to warn those who were interested. Good luck to all

Yes FAMU has an aggressive interview process, because they only WANT THE BEST! I understand that these are two stories that you have, but they are not your life experiences. You really don't know what happened in that interview room and why she didn't get a residency, you only know what they told you. I CAN SPEAK ON THIS EXPERIENCE BECAUSE I AM A PHARMACY STUDENT AT FAMU! FAMU was my number one choice. I am here everyday sitting in the classroom learning from great professors! Yes, I was sweating and very, very nervous during my interview process, but I didn't let them break me. I held my own, answered the questions, and walked out with my head up! Yes I recieved my acceptance letter on April 21st and I was very excited. Yes, there are a few issues that the dean is working out but there isn't a school out there that's perfect. Several pharmacist that I know personally, have graduated from FAMU and have landed RESIDENCIES and GREAT CAREERS! :idea: I'm trying to figure out why you are on the FAMU forum when you are not applying??? At this moment you say that you choose not to apply there but when all your chips are down and you have nowhere to turn, I bet you apply to FAMU! Dont offer warnings or bad advice about something that you honestly know nothing about! This is a positive forum! GOOD LUCK TO ALL THAT INTERVIEWED! HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL IN THE FALL
I LOVE FAMU:love: COPPS!!!

Yes FAMU has an aggressive interview process, because they only WANT THE BEST! I understand that these are two stories that you have, but they are not your life experiences. You really don't know what happened in that interview room and why she didn't get a residency, you only know what they told you. I CAN SPEAK ON THIS EXPERIENCE BECAUSE I AM A PHARMACY STUDENT AT FAMU! FAMU was my number one choice. I am here everyday sitting in the classroom learning from great professors! Yes, I was sweating and very, very nervous during my interview process, but I didn't let them break me. I held my own, answered the questions, and walked out with my head up! Yes I recieved my acceptance letter on April 21st and I was very excited. Yes, there are a few issues that the dean is working out but there isn't a school out there that's perfect. Several pharmacist that I know personally, have graduated from FAMU and have landed RESIDENCIES and GREAT CAREERS! :idea: I'm trying to figure out why you are on the FAMU forum when you are not applying??? At this moment you say that you choose not to apply there but when all your chips are down and you have nowhere to turn, I bet you apply to FAMU! Dont offer warnings or bad advice about something that you honestly know nothing about! This is a positive forum! GOOD LUCK TO ALL THAT INTERVIEWED! HOPE TO SEE YOU ALL IN THE FALL

While your devotion to your school is respected, it does not change what has happened and the reputation that FAMU has. I'll respond point-by-point:

While very true I was not in the interview session, that does not change the questions asked or the comments made. One does not have to hear the tone of a comment to judge it's merit. When a friend leaves an interview in tears, trust me, it's not because she was unqualified or a bad interviewer. That she is now at UF and excels should say it all.

And don't even attempt to say that FAMU's interviewers are aggressive because they want the best. Do you really think that every other pharmacy school doesn't care? You think that Mercer and UF aren't aggressive because they don't want the best? That is a laughable argument with absolutely zero validity.

Everyone has their reasons for attending certain pharmacy schools (assuming they get accepted to multiple schools). It would be very interested to hear the reasoning behind FAMU being your number 1 choice. I originally wanted to attend because I live in Tallahassee and it is close to home. However, I took my PCAT at FAMU and spoke with some current students which made their education system seem laughable at best. I spoke with a student on the break, and she mentioned how difficult the chemistry section was. I agreed, and told her I barely passed Org 1 and 2 so it was tough. She told me she made A's in both.

I asked her what her secret was, and she said her professors are real nice. They make up study guides for all their students, and then the test is just the study guide without answers on them. All she had to do is memorize the answers and she makes all A's!

But see, the problem with being fed answers by "nice" teachers, is that when you get in the real world, or take the PCAT, you fail. Miserably. I worked my butt off to barely pass Organics at FSU, and I made a 91 on my PCAT Chem. section.

That is a "real life" experience, so you can't say I might have misunderstood.

I have also worked with a professor at FAMU, who is also works a little in retail. We spoke several times about me applying and he was extremely helpful and seemed to know his stuff. I respect him immensely and he is actually the one who guided me away from FAMU, saying they are pretty tough in admissions and have been known to be, well, not so nice to prospective students. My GPA was not excellent by pharmacy standards, but my PCAT score, leadership qualities, LOR's, and everything else was very, very good.

And while I'm on the subject, it is quite interesting that FAMU is the only school within a couple thousand miles to not even look at your PCAT score. They told me when I took a tour there in December that they would throw out your application if you mentioned it anywhere, even in you personal statement. Perhaps it is possible that many of their own students do not excel at the PCAT due to the nature of there educative process (i.e. memorizing and regurgitating information)?

And to this:
At this moment you say that you choose not to apply there but when all your chips are down and you have nowhere to turn, I bet you apply to FAMU! Dont offer warnings or bad advice about something that you honestly know nothing about! This is a positive forum!

The problem seems to be that you are implying that when people have no other schools to apply to, and no schools will accept them, they turn to FAMU? I did not apply to FAMU, but I did apply to 6 schools in the Southeast. I have 3 interviews so far and 1 acceptance, even though PharmCAS did not submit my application until 3 weeks ago but was completed in January.

This is not bad advice, but merely information that I have gathered in my dealings with FAMU. Many have been successful there and will continue, but some have also been haunted by their choice to attend there due to it's reputation, which from what I hear they are painstakingly trying to improve.

Oh, and your wrong. This is NOT a positive forum. This isn't some fairy land where everything is roses and glitter and hopping unicorns. This is people's LIVES we are discussing. Pharmacy school is a very tough decision and should not be taken lightly. If there is useful information available to prospective student then I believe they should know about it.

Omg I'm so glad I'm not the only person who had a tough interview lol

Hey Rambo319 I read your comments from last years forum. Congrats on your acceptance to FAMU! :) During my interview I thought I did well however, during one question I got really nervous and didn't know what to say. Did you have any bumps during your interview?

Good Luck to Everyone!

There is a section under the Freshman applications page that talks about the "Limited Access/Special Admission Programs". These programs include the School of Journalism and College of Pharmacy.

My question is has there been anyone excepted into FAMU but, not accepted into the College of Pharmacy? Looking at the requirements for acceptance into FAMU. I would expect that if you do get accepted most likely you would also be accepted into the College of Pharmacy as well??

Freshmen Applicants link:

http://www.famu.edu/index.cfm?admissions&FreshmenApplicants

Pre-Pharmacy Program Link:

http://pharmacy.famu.edu/bluepill.php?sect=includes/studentservices/prepharmprog#

I had an interview for FAMU as well...I was sweating bullets!!!

How many people did you guys have in the room?

Three interviewers in the room asking me questions. You?

Guys accpetance letters will not be mailed out until tomorrow!!!!

He's right. I called the school and they said they'd send it tomm the latest.