FAMU Class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hgmanning42

Reaction score
I noticed a forum had not started up yet, and decided to search this website for 20 minutes to figure out how to create one. This is my third year applying, but I've been accepted to Auburn HSOP, so it's not the end of the world if FAMU denies me again. Has anyone heard anything about interviews yet? I know from previous years of looking that they usually don't start with invites until the second week of March.

Members don't see this ad.

I have applied and now I am just waiting. I have been checking my email every day because I am nervous.

I would be more nervous about graduating without a job

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I applied on Feb. 2, Interviewed on Mar. 3 and got my acceptance letter by email today(3/12/20). Does anyone know what to do from here? The $150 fee is due in 2 weeks and I don't have an irattler ID or anything yet. Also, did anyone apply to the school directly in addition to the pharmcas application? if so, what did you choose for your program? Pharm.D isn't an option. Good luck everyone, let me know if you also got in! Also: Realized RPh, are you commenting on FAMU or the pharmacy profession as a whole?

Hi. I applied on Feb. 2, Interviewed on Mar. 3 and got my acceptance letter by email today(3/12/20). Does anyone know what to do from here? The $150 fee is due in 2 weeks and I don't have an irattler ID or anything yet. Also, did anyone apply to the school directly in addition to the pharmcas application? if so, what did you choose for your program? Pharm.D isn't an option. Good luck everyone, let me know if you also got in! Also: Realized RPh, are you commenting on FAMU or the pharmacy profession as a whole?
Can't speak for Realized RPH, but I would make the same comment on both FAMU and pharmacy as a whole. According to BLS pharmacist job growth is expected to be 0% meaning there are no new jobs created, yet pharmacy schools continue to graduate PharmDs in record numbers at 14-15k students per year. FAMU's stats are even worse: (source: Accreditation) . Class of 2018 only had 8% employment rate (national average is 96%). Their residency match rate is 46% (national average is 66%). Their NAPLEX pass rate is only 75% which puts them at risk of losing their ACPE accreditation which would essentially render your degree worthless. The pharmacy job market is already so competitive, if you still choose to become a pharmacist, at least don't shoot yourself in the foot by going to a subpar school like FAMU

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, thanks for the info. I knew the NAPLEX was low, but had no idea about the atrocious employment rate. Everybody has been telling me that "it won't matter where you went once you graduate", but now i'm doubting that montra. The cost of tuition at FAMU is so affordable that i believe i can finish without going into debt, but now i question if even that is worth it. This is very deflating as I really do want to be a pharmacist and have committed a substantial amount of time and money into this goal. Is there anything you think I can do to improve my hireability after graduation, other than changing school? I was accepted into LECOMB as well, and their NAPLEX pass rate is in the 80s, but the cost is literally $100,000 more once i factor in living expenses, fees and tuition over 4 years. I still have some interviews coming up, but every other school is even more expensive than LECOMB.

What are new grads getting offered wage wise in florida? I heard its down to 45 per hour 32 hours per week in retail. Is that true? Btw it still won’t matter where you went FAMU is probably a better choice if it saves you 100k but odds are you will be jobless no matter what.

I'm really not sure what starting wage is. All of my info comes from the 4 pharmacists who wrote my LOR's and they've all been pharmacists for years. I imagine that prospects here are better than nationwide (such a large geriatric population), but cant say for sure. Payscale and glassdoor estimate somewhere around $38 per hour starting, but these sites are notoriously unreliable. As a pharmacist have you heard anything good about the certifications and designations offered? Do you think a pharmacotherapy board certification or CGP certification would put me on par with a graduate from a better school/program in terms of hireability? Sorry to ask so many questions, but you are the first pharmacist i've talked who has brought up these concerns, all of the pharmacists I know have been firmly established in their field and don't know much about the situations of new grads.

Geez. I knew the field wasnt growing when i decided on pharmacy 3 years ago, but had no idea it would slip this fast. I'm really not that concerned with the money, $40 an hour is plenty for me as long as I don't hate my job. I really don't want to do retail if i can help it, so i guess i'll just have to work extra hard to be top of my cass, get that 1 year residency that's offered and take any clinical job i can get for the remaining 2 years(I'm unattached so i can move around as need be). Then sit for board certifications and go from there. Failing that ill just have to take what i can get and rack up experience. BLS expects clinical jobs to expand as retail positions decline, so hopefully that works in my favor. Thanks again for all the information and advice.

If 40 per hour 32 hours per week is enough for you then I think you chose the right profession and have realistic expectations. As for all the applicants expecting six figures upon graduation good luck because you are 5-10 years too late.

Do you know if they have finished with interviews yet?

Do you know if they have finished with interviews yet?

Sorry, I don't know for sure. On the acceptance they sent me, it said they had an "Overwhelming number of applicants" and that "the first cycle of interviews as complete" so i assume there are more to come.

Anyone else recently accepted? I just did my application to FAMU admissions after getting into the PharmD program but with COVID-19 precautions, we may be in for the long haul. I know it's unlikely but have any other accepted students seen any financial aid awards?

Is there a FB page for accepted students?

Good luck to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Admissions fee deadline has been extended to April 15.

Update: Admissions fee deadline has been extended to April 15.

Do you know how we're supposed to submit the payment? Do we just tell admissions it's for a PharmD seat? I wasn't sure if we're supposed to apply via admissions and then we'll be prompted to submit.

If you can, pay via IRATTLER: Student services -> make a payment. I was unable to and tried to take the payment in person. They ill not let you. Failing irattler, you must mail a money order or cashiers check made out to "FloridA&MUniversity" to the FAMU office of the controller along with the form (link below)

I never received any further information or instructions after i was accepted by undergraduate admissions.

Just signed up for orientation, but my major is listed as "Pharmacy undergraduate" anyone elses say this? I guess I'll have to call admissions and find out what's up if nobody else has this issue.

Edit: In case anyone else has this happen, I called this morning and they verified that i am in the system as "Pharmacy Professional". They didn't know why mine said "Pharmacy Undergraduate" in the orientation signup site, but the consensus seemed to be "don't worry about it".

Last edited:
Just signed up for orientation, but my major is listed as "Pharmacy undergraduate" anyone elses say this? I guess I'll have to call admissions and find out what's up if nobody else has this issue.

Edit: In case anyone else has this happen, I called this morning and they verified that i am in the system as "Pharmacy Professional". They didn't know why mine said "Pharmacy Undergraduate" in the orientation signup site, but the consensus seemed to be "don't worry about it".
Me too

You guys were able to sign up for orientation? My Irattler still says my application is incomplete despite being admitted to the professional program yet I have financial aid.
??

Did you submit your fee & transcripts and call the pharmacy department to give them your student ID? If so, try registering at famu.edu/orientation. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to call them.

You guys were able to sign up for orientation? My Irattler still says my application is incomplete despite being admitted to the professional program yet I have financial aid.
??
You should be able to sign up for orientation

Out of the blue i just got an email congratulating me on acceptance into the Pre-Pharmacy program. This is weird as i never applied for pre-pharmacy but have long since been accepted into the pharmacy professional and in irattler i still don't have department approval. Anyone have this issue? Just thought i'd ask here before calling them yet again. Thanks all

What are new grads getting offered wage wise in florida? I heard its down to 45 per hour 32 hours per week in retail. Is that true? Btw it still won’t matter where you went FAMU is probably a better choice if it saves you 100k but odds are you will be jobless no matter what.
In Florida, Yes. You will have to move out. It’s not looking good for new grads these days. Cut the losses do something else

Geez. I knew the field wasnt growing when i decided on pharmacy 3 years ago, but had no idea it would slip this fast. I'm really not that concerned with the money, $40 an hour is plenty for me as long as I don't hate my job. I really don't want to do retail if i can help it, so i guess i'll just have to work extra hard to be top of my cass, get that 1 year residency that's offered and take any clinical job i can get for the remaining 2 years(I'm unattached so i can move around as need be). Then sit for board certifications and go from there. Failing that ill just have to take what i can get and rack up experience. BLS expects clinical jobs to expand as retail positions decline, so hopefully that works in my favor. Thanks again for all the information and advice.
Well unfortunately, clinical pharm getting their hours cut. Look at Job market forum on how COVID-19 is affecting hiring and hospitals

• Wow
I'm really not sure what starting wage is. All of my info comes from the 4 pharmacists who wrote my LOR's and they've all been pharmacists for years. I imagine that prospects here are better than nationwide (such a large geriatric population), but cant say for sure. Payscale and glassdoor estimate somewhere around $38 per hour starting, but these sites are notoriously unreliable. As a pharmacist have you heard anything good about the certifications and designations offered? Do you think a pharmacotherapy board certification or CGP certification would put me on par with a graduate from a better school/program in terms of hireability? Sorry to ask so many questions, but you are the first pharmacist i've talked who has brought up these concerns, all of the pharmacists I know have been firmly established in their field and don't know much about the situations of new grads.
Please look at the Job market forum on SDN and COVID-19’s affect on hospitals. Getting a residency for two years is a must if you want hospital. But management s cutting hours in pharmacy. I would drop out and consider PA school. I am a new grad

Guys, if you signed up for new student orientation... we don't have to. I sent an email to the college of pharmacy asking for clarification on orientation. Here is their response:

"The College of Pharmacy has its own New Student Orientation and you do not register for it at all. Our office will be sending information. I am not sure who told you that. Information is forthcoming."

Did anyone receive the update about the drug test or background check?

Did anyone receive the update about the drug test or background check?

Yes, I started my intern license but have not initiated the background check/drug test? Has anyone made a Facebook or GroupMe for accepted students?

Can't speak for Realized RPH, but I would make the same comment on both FAMU and pharmacy as a whole. According to BLS pharmacist job growth is expected to be 0% meaning there are no new jobs created, yet pharmacy schools continue to graduate PharmDs in record numbers at 14-15k students per year. FAMU's stats are even worse: (source: Accreditation) . Class of 2018 only had 8% employment rate (national average is 96%). Their residency match rate is 46% (national average is 66%). Their NAPLEX pass rate is only 75% which puts them at risk of losing their ACPE accreditation which would essentially render your degree worthless. The pharmacy job market is already so competitive, if you still choose to become a pharmacist, at least don't shoot yourself in the foot by going to a subpar school like FAMU
I've seen TSU's passing rate as low as 68% for first time test takers and they have never lost accreditation.

Here's a link to the NAPLEX passing rates