Reasons for not matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

atsai3

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A common refrain one sees posted on SDN is that "in order to match you have to rank enough programs".

In the most recent issue of JAMA there was published a study that speaks to the truth of this statement. Deans at 126 U.S. medical schools were surveyed and asked to describe the reasons why graduating seniors failed to obtain a position in the match:

jld05007t1.gif

As you can see, "rank order list mismanagement" was No. 3 on the list, and other related reasons were also in the top 10. Unfortunately, factors related to applicant quality were even higher on the list, at No. 1 & No. 2.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad.

So this means there were 417 US grads from prior years that didn't match? If this means that those grads didn't get anything at all (as opposed to encompassing pre-matches),
that's pretty depressing. What are these people supposed to do?

This article helps to explain all the scare tactics that our dean, Dr. Sunshine uses when he says that even those of us going into really noncompetitive specialties need to apply to 15 to 20 programs!
Thanks for posting A.T. For a minute there I was thinkng that all of these programs I was applying to were a bit overkill when all I want to do is go home (and I already have an interview set up there).