**LECOM-Erie WARNING!!**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UnhappyAtLECOM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
--

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Man, screw that. You got me at the Internet filter part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing. Seems like there are a lot of unhappy pharm students from LECOM Eerie. I wonder though, is it worth the price you pay?

can't do rotations where you want? You should just suck it up. Most schools place you all over the state, so it's nothing new. At my school, we only have the weekend to look for living when we start APPEs in May, assuming we get placed somewhere far. We're not allowed to do our APPEs in our home state either (only IPPEs). It is what it is.

In most schools, that's not a hard requirement, but you end up doing this anyway, as most of the rotation sites are near the school. My roommate's parents live an hour and a half away, yet he is still paying for his share of our apt because he's doing half his rotations here because few are available near his home (as there, after all, are other pharmacy schools in the area that have their affiliations as well).

The rotations crap doesn't bug me. Highest education is always inconvenient on things like rent and transportation... I'd really hate that high school atmosphere though. Not so much dressing nicely, since well, we're going to be pharmacists and should be professionals. The not drinking/eating except the cafeteria! Yikes.

The rotations crap doesn't bug me. Highest education is always inconvenient on things like rent and transportation... I'd really hate that high school atmosphere though. Not so much dressing nicely, since well, we're going to be pharmacists and should be professionals. The not drinking/eating except the cafeteria! Yikes.

Are you saying you can't snack in class and more importantly you can't have a water bottle in lecture. I understand not eating or drinking in a lab onviously and maybe not snacking during the lecture, but before class starts and during lecture i love a nice cool water bottle to quench my thirst.

And what is the dress code for going to classes and what not?

At LECOM (like almost all schools), our final year is spent entirely on APPE rotations. These are rotations that can be arranged pretty much anywhere in the country. However, starting with the class of 2012 they are REQUIRING that at least one of our rotations is preceptored by LECOM faculty. Know what this means? If anyone wants to move back home or out of the area for their final year, they have to worry about coming back to Erie for six weeks to fulfill this pointless requirement. They didn't have this requirement when I initially applied and there was no fair warning of it! I can't believe how much of a scam this is. On top of it all, there's no way that we can select the specific time of year we have this Erie rotation, it's all a randomized assignment.

HOW IN THE HECK CAN THEY EXPECT US TO FIND HOUSING FOR JUST SIX WEEKS?!?! Every landlord I've talked to will not rent for this short of a time period! Furthermore, if you move to somewhere out of the area (like Texas or California), you'll have to either drive your car back, ship it back, or get a rental car...or else you won't have your own transportation! And since there's only a weekend between the beginning of many subsequent rotations, how can we move our stuff across country?!

Oh and we have this horrible dress code: shirt, tie, dress pants, dress shoes for guys, the girls dress code I'm not sure of but I've known several girls who got in trouble for "short" skirts.

Food and beverage is banned everywhere in the school, except the cafeteria. So whenever you have six straight hours of class/lab, plan on starving.

The school's internet server blocks many websites, even Facebook is blocked. (Their filter even blocks anything it considers "arts & entertainment").

So just remember this cuz it's all fact, go ahead and speak with anyone at LECOM and they'll vouch for what I've said. Do yourself a favor and don't end up with the same regrets I'm having.

Anyone know if this is the same at the Bradenton campus? I have to imagine its the same university. They probably have the same rules.

Couldn't you work something out with your classmates so that you guys can share an apartment and have each person live there so that you can still get a lease going for 6 months or a year?

For example,

Sally does a rotation from Aug to mid Sept
Bart does a rotation from mid Sept to end of Oct
Joey does a rotation from Nov to mid Dec
Sarah does a rotation from mid Dec to end of Jan
Jack does a rotation from Feb to mid Mar
Richard does a rotation from mid Mar to end of Apr

The six of them could agree on a living space for the year, if they're doing rotations at the same area during different times.

I don't know the details on typical leases, since I haven't rented a place... yet, so I could be missing something.

Members don't see this ad :)
This has nothing to do with not doing rotations where I want!! It's all about LIES AND DECEPTION about this policy that one of our rotations must be done with a LECOM-approved faculty member!!! This policy was not in place when the class of 2012 started nor did any of us get warning of it!!

Its one thing if we received fair warning before choosing to attend this school, but to institute this policy midway through and cause monetary inconveniences to the students and their families is completely uncalled for!! I am not happy and my class is raising hell right now :mad:

I feel bad for you guys! Your forced to work with faculty for 6 weeks then that faculty member should be forced to let you live in thier house for 6 weeks. Then we'll see how quickly they get rid of that new requirement!

But in all seriousness what is everyone going to do? I feel like you would need to have met someone who lives in the area you could stay in or know a younger classman who has an apartment, but this sounds like a huge pain in the arse if you ask me!

Can't do that because of rental agreement policies in apartments.Even if it was possible how would someone move all their stuff (bed, furnitute, car, wardrobe) across country for a measly 6 weeks?

Sign lease to one or 2 (trustworthy) people, and the rest pay rent in cash to them, who in turn pay the landlord for themselves and the others that are sharing the apt. Share the furniture. Thrift stores carry cheap furniture.

At WVU, I'd be sitting there wearing a hoodie and basketball shorts...chomping down on a pepperoni roll and a Coke Zero...reading the newspaper in the second row...professors sneering at me...

You got some sort of militant professionalism dean up there. The big complaint I'd have if I went to LECOM would be the ridiculously giant patch they sew onto your labcoats. They look so cheesy. I used to make kids coming through on rotations take them off as an act of mercy.

Aren't there extended stay options or some cheap motel? If it's a matter of convenience...

I eat my bagel and cream cheese and drink my coffee every morning during lecture :)

Do you really have over 100,000 posts? How do you manage to study- you must be on this site 24/7?!

Do you really have over 100,000 posts? How do you manage to study- you must be on this site 24/7?!

No.

See, this is what happened.

I got permission fom the Admin to ignore any mod that joined after Sept 2006.

Being as though most of the moderators on this site joined like 37 seconds ago, they thought it would be funny to manually set their join dates to their birthdays as they can't stand the idea of me one-upping them.

And since this made them realize that they could change all that crap in general, they thought to themselves, oh, hey, lets make it look like we have a bazillion posts.

In reality, she has less posts than me and joined this site in 2009.

Mike knows.

No. When someone is promoted to mod or asst. mod, the Chief Mod Bananaface lets them modify their post count and join date to whatever they want.

These posts are all me :smuggrin:

Don't be a hater.

Our dress code is fairly similar, although thankfully we only have to wear the tie one day a week. Apparently drinks and food weren't allowed in the class rooms when the school first opened, but the school has gotten way more lenient on that since then. We all have drinks during lecture, and some of us eat lunch in the room also.

Regarding the prohibition on alcohol: I figured that would be fairly standard for a professional program.

Deleted!

Last edited:
Sucks to here all that. Nova is great I must say, everyone is super cool and pretty laid back. Professionalism is upheld, yet we all have fun and tend to go about things in a fairly relaxed way. Our professors and faculty give us some a good amount of freedom too. I wear scrubs on a daily basis with my white coat and the eating/drinking policies during classes are pretty lenient. Compared to other schools, I think I have it pretty good. Plus, we have the sun and fun down here in South Florida. I recommend Nova to students applying for this cycle.

Deleted.

Last edited:
What do you mean alot of students decide to come to this useless town for 24 months? Isn't it 3 years of classes so 36 months? And is it hard to get decent grades? I understand alot of teachers suck EVERYWHERE, but as long as I don't have to struggle to pass i think I can manage. Please let me know more.

What he means is that a lot of students came with intent that they would be able to do their rotations in another location away from the school, as was allegedly promised by the school. Thus, they would have to only stay there for 24 months, instead of 36.

dress code and filtered internet? seriously how backwards can a school get? that's just plain annoying. glad i don't go there.

wow...I haven't seen this much crying in ages...at some point hopefully you will learn that schools are not democratic societies and they can do whatever they want that is in the best interest of the school. I'm not a Tuttle fan, but come on...

As far as the whole "oh my God I got to move to Erie for 6 weeks" deal, get real. You stay at a hotel. There are plenty of extended stay places in the Erie area. I'm sure you can manage for 6 weeks.

What he means is that a lot of students came with intent that they would be able to do their rotations in another location away from the school, as was allegedly promised by the school. Thus, they would have to only stay there for 24 months, instead of 36.

Does LECOM ERIE Only have 3 year pharmacy program?

Does LECOM ERIE Only have 3 year pharmacy program?

Do most schools have an infeirority complex and reuqire strict dress codes or is it just a few? I was previously interested in another dr profression and none of the 3 schools had a strict dress code so I don't know common this is?

Having a dress code isn't the same as having an inferiority complex. To put it bluntly, my opinion of another program went down when I found out my friend (and several of her classmates) did often show up in pj's, when they even bothered to show up at all. A sloppy culture can encourage sloppy work.

Should a tie be required every day? I don't think so.

Are pj's acceptable? Really? Is this General Chemistry I, or are you working on a doctorate?

Having a dress code isn't the same as having an inferiority complex. To put it bluntly, my opinion of another program went down when I found out my friend (and several of her classmates) did often show up in pj's, when they even bothered to show up at all. A sloppy culture can encourage sloppy work.

Should a tie be required every day? I don't think so.

Are pj's acceptable? Really? Is this General Chemistry I, or are you working on a doctorate?

You sound like a PAID propagandist for ERIE. Yea, they already have guys out there to cleanse the image.

Last edited:

yeah all the post-docs & phd candidates i used to work with in my old lab wore madras shorts, hawaiian shirts, and really cool band shirts.

EDIT: this is at a top 50 university.

yeah all the post-docs & phd candidates i used to work with in my old lab wore madras shorts, hawaiian shirts, and really cool band shirts.

EDIT: this is at a top 50 university.

That's true.

I think I will ammend that person's statement to read,

"Are you in Gen Chem I or are you working on a professional doctorate?"

The Ph.D. is an ivory tower, ideally TT degree designed more or less for teaching and we all know that professors don't exactly have the best fashion sense. I can count the number of profs I had at both schools in UG that wore shirts/ties or nice pantsuits (For females) on one hand.

Post-Docs and Ph.D. holders, particularly in the sciences, are notably lazy in their dress. If you're on your way to a professional degree, be it dental, law, pharmacy or medicine or other, you should dress the part. Just MO.

Post-Docs and Ph.D. holders, particularly in the sciences, are notably lazy in their dress. If you're on your way to a professional degree, be it dental, law, pharmacy or medicine or other, you should dress the part. Just MO.

yeah but schools requiring dress in the freakin' classroom is stupid...i'm a student, let me dress the part. when i'm a pharmacist or at the hospital, let me dress the part (be it scrubs, professional dress, white coat, whatnot).

i compare it to people who put a giant muffler on their car....it still runs the same, making your students dress up won't make them better students or practitioners, it's all ego.

It sucks LECOM has a strict dress code, does Temple and St. John Fischer have the same strict dress codes?

We could get in serious trouble for that. Not only is internet activity monitored but they also have cameras watching us in class. They would find out.

look on the bright side lecom at erie has the cheapest tuition. isn't it something like 22k a year for three years? so around 66K debt when you graduate? not bad.

look on the bright side lecom at erie has the cheapest tuition. isn't it something like 22k a year for three years? so around 66K debt when you graduate? not bad.

Is this true? For 66K I would gladly wear a shirt and tie everyday. If it's only 2 years of classes there, can't you just bear it? Most of the year you could wear a coat over your shirt and tie, right? Cheaper tuition might make me happy@LECOM.

.How well does LECOM prepare you for the boards? Do you feel like the quality of education is comparable with other schools? Are they supportive of their students? I don’t mind the dress code and other misc. rules and regulations. Just want some honest inputs on their academics, as I feel that this is the most important aspect for me. Thanks in advance for the advice.:)