Illinois c/o 2015 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tco87

Illinois 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So who else applied to UIUC?

Members don't see this ad.

Me! Also, check out hunterjumper12's forum on final school choices - folks are listing everywhere they applied. And DVMDream started a poll - you can see how many people applied where.

Best of luck to you! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I've never been to 7 of the 8 places I applied to!

I applied as well. For those of you who have never been there... its extremely flat surrounded by tons of corn fields ;) but the campus is nice enough.

I considered it heavily, but decided not to. Nothing personal, Illinois, I just had a lot of schools on my list and had to trim.

I haven't been to 9 of my 10 schools, and haven't even been in the state they're in for... 5 of them.

I applied to Illinois! I have only been to one of the six schools I applied to. For the other five I haven't even been to those states.

I did! I've never even BEEN to Illinois. :laugh:

For those of you who have never been there... its extremely flat surrounded by tons of corn fields ;) but the campus is nice enough.
Never been to U of I's campus but speaking as a person who has lived in Illinois my whole life, Illinois is probably one of the most boring looking states (corn fields, bean fields, and flat land). Sorry to disappoint those who were looking for a scenic state :laugh:

I've been to most of the states that I have applied to - but not any of the schools, apart from Tufts. I spent 4 years in Indiana and 4 in Ohio, so I'm used to "flat and boring." :laugh:

Never been to U of I's campus but speaking as a person who has lived in Illinois my whole life, Illinois is probably one of the most boring looking states (corn fields, bean fields, and flat land). Sorry to disappoint those who were looking for a scenic state :laugh:

Southern Illinois is actually quite nice... like Carbondale and south has nice hills and cliffs and forest. North, IL... :rolleyes: boring.

I've been to 3 of the 10 schools I applied to, haven't been to the state/country/province of 5.

Southern Illinois is actually quite nice... like Carbondale and south has nice hills and cliffs and forest. North, IL... :rolleyes: boring.

I went to IL ten years ago and really liked it. I agree, Carbondale and southern IL are definitely nice. In the north I didn't notice it was boring because I like the trees. Oak and pine here in CA can get a little boring.

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone *is* close enough to drive here-we are having our Open House tomorrow from 10-4! i'll be hanging out at the small animal dentistry booth 'til noon, then i'm off to heckle my fellow first years. hope some SDNers come by!

I went to IL ten years ago and really liked it. I agree, Carbondale and southern IL are definitely nice. In the north I didn't notice it was boring because I like the trees. Oak and pine here in CA can get a little boring.

Any place that has trees is exciting...out here in the desert it is either shrub or cacti and lots of dirt....:rolleyes:

I guess it all depends on where everybody lives and what we're all used to scenic wise LOL!

So true. I've spent 8 years in the midwest now, and I miss the ocean so. much.

There's some irony... I'm from the east coast, lived out in the midwest for nearly 4 years, went to back to the east coast and the only thing I would really like to do is head back to the midwest. Flat, boring and all that jazz. ;)

My only disappointment with the location of UIUC is that it's a 2.5 hour hike from Chicago. As much as flat and boring works for me, I really like to have a city within about an hour so I can get my groove on if necessary. :cool:

If anyone *is* close enough to drive here-we are having our Open House tomorrow from 10-4! i'll be hanging out at the small animal dentistry booth 'til noon, then i'm off to heckle my fellow first years. hope some SDNers come by!

I was under the impression the open house was for like high schoolers and younger?

I was under the impression the open house was for like high schoolers and younger?

Technically, it's not, it's for the entire community and anyone who wants to check out the school, that definitely includes potential applicants. *BUT* because it is so community geared, tons of families come and bring their kids and it tends to become a kid fair, which bugged me when I came to it a few years back because i wanted to REALLY see the school, not wait for the line of 3 year olds to finish milking the cow in front of me so I could see the cow....
regardless, it's for anyone and everyone! and i'm pretty excited to be there...

Last edited:
Technically, it's not, it's for the entire community and anyone who wants to check out the school, that definitely includes potential applicants. *BUT* because it is so community geared, tons of families come and bring their kids and it tends to become a kid fair, which bugged me when I came to it a few years back because i wanted to REALLY see the school, not wait for the line of 3 year olds to finish milking the cow in front of me so I could see the cow....
regardless, it's for anyone and everyone! and i'm pretty excited to be there...

I will probably stop by for a little bit since I live in Champaign :)

So how are you liking the curriculum? Are you guys still doing rotations or have classes started?

Tco,

we are still currently in rotations and have 2 more weeks. We start actual lecture and lab work on October 18th. we're all scared to death because these rotations have been fun and minimal, work-wise. I really like the new curriculum, but it is definitely getting some mixed reviews by some other of my classmates, some people think they're too remedial since we all have so much experience coming in. Some people want more anatomy because they are lost during rounds...and some people like me are really appreciating the time in the clinics because our classroom time is going to be overwhelming. So, there it is.

Open house was fun today, did you come by??

pigsfoot

I'm applying to UIUC (again)! It was the only place I got an interview last year. I flew out there with my dad, and I loved it! The school is great, everyone is very helpful, and everyone in the town is super nice and welcoming. It is definitely my TOP choice this year! Anyone else here applying there for the 2nd time?

I'm applying to UIUC (again)! It was the only place I got an interview last year. I flew out there with my dad, and I loved it! The school is great, everyone is very helpful, and everyone in the town is super nice and welcoming. It is definitely my TOP choice this year! Anyone else here applying there for the 2nd time?

I'm applying for the second time. I didn't get an interview last year, but they were very positive and helpful for my application review, which made me feel hopeful but which I also appreciated considering how some of the other schools were. I think it reflects well on the school that they really take the time to look over applications and then discuss them in so much detail

Last edited:
I'm applying for the second time. I didn't get an interview last year, but they were very positive and helpful for my application review, which made me feel hopeful but which I also appreciated considering how some of the other schools were. I think it reflects well on the school that they really take the time to look over applications and then discuss them in so much detail

I felt the same exact way. I called Tennessee on my way to work one day, just to set up a phone appt at a later time, but then they started going over things, but they only went over my grades and GRE score, and that's pretty much it. I called VMRCVM, and they went over a pretty good amount, and I was a little more impressed. BUT, when I called UIUC, she went over EVERY single aspect of my application. She even told me what to add to my essay that they like to hear. She was awesome. I really couldn't believe it. And like you said, it helped so much for my whole VMCAS application in general.

pibbles- I hope to see you at the interview/first day of class!

Glad to see the U of I thread has started up! This might sound weird but I can't wait for our real classes to start. I am still terrified, but I can't wait to start the real learning process. Good luck everyone!!!

I applied to UIUC, too. I can't wait for the interviewing to begin!! Nothing like an optimist, right?!

Tco,

we are still currently in rotations and have 2 more weeks. We start actual lecture and lab work on October 18th. we're all scared to death because these rotations have been fun and minimal, work-wise. I really like the new curriculum, but it is definitely getting some mixed reviews by some other of my classmates, some people think they're too remedial since we all have so much experience coming in. Some people want more anatomy because they are lost during rounds...and some people like me are really appreciating the time in the clinics because our classroom time is going to be overwhelming. So, there it is.

Open house was fun today, did you come by??

pigsfoot

Thank you for the honest review.
I wish I came by :( I had work and didn't get done as early as I thought I was going to so I completely missed it.

I'm a second time applicant too! Good luck! Hopefully the second time's the charm for us!

I just got an email directing me to the application status page.
Anyone else?

Yep, it scared me! One thing I noticed was the yes/no for what counts in the cum and sci GPA. There are two courses I took in the behavior/ecology sector of my bio department that they aren't including in my sci GPA, and of course those are classes I got As in and were hoping would push up my sGPA. Boooo. Also wish there was something on here confirming that I've fulfilled all the prereqs... don't think it's an issue, but want o one less thing to worry about.

The email scared me as well! Thankfully everything seems to be in order!

I received the e-mail too! One of my bio classes is not considered in the science gpa and of course it has to be one that I got an A in. Oh well!I was expecting there to be more classes that they were not going to include.

One of my courses that I consider to be a science class (Special Topics in Infection and Immunity) didn't count towards my science GPA while a class that wasn't scientific in nature (Biostatistics) did.

TheDogisGreen - Try calling them and finding out why those courses didn't count for your sGPA. I never did, but maybe you can convince them to change their minds.

I'm freaking out about my app status page. Well, too tired to actually freak out, but concerned. Clearly they haven't finished reviewing my courses yet, since the "points" column is all zeros. But apparently the ONLY courses that count toward my sGPA are EcoBio (which I took as an English undergrad in 06), Microbiology, and O Chem 1.

Seriously?

I received the e-mail too! One of my bio classes is not considered in the science gpa and of course it has to be one that I got an A in. Oh well!I was expecting there to be more classes that they were not going to include.

Does it tell you what classes didnt count? Maybe I missed that? My science GPA was lower then what I expected to... I wonder if they didnt count one of my sciences classes as well.

eta: Figured it out... they didnt count an Animal Health class of mine I got an A in... How is that not science?

Last edited:
I got an email about status page today as well. Confirmed everything was there, but cGPA and sGPA haven't been calculated yet. Calcuated my own sGPA based on what they say counts and it's a 2.2. My GRE scores came in really well but at this point I'm feeling pretty bummed out.

Hi all,

When I checked mine I wigged out to the point of no return! :eek: Only 4 courses were checked off to count towards science GPA and they are my oldest and LOWEST grades (including one F that I received during a family crisis, but not the retake!!). :wtf: So, I phoned the office today to see if they were really flipping a coin to decide what counts. Thankfully, that's not the case...

The GPA Y/Ns currently seen on the site are completely automated. They have a database that automatically checks off courses that it recognizes. Thus, what you're currently seeing is not official. I was told that they are doing things alphabetically and are hand scoring the apps one by one. Thus, depending upon where you are in the alphabet, then you might not see offical Y/Ns for some time. I'm in the 'S' pool, so they told me to check back in early November to see if things were in order.

Hope that lowers your blood pressure some. I know it did mine. :)

Hi all,

When I checked mine I wigged out to the point of no return! :eek: Only 4 courses were checked off to count towards science GPA and they are my oldest and LOWEST grades (including one F that I received during a family crisis, but not the retake!!). :wtf: So, I phoned the office today to see if they were really flipping a coin to decide what counts. Thankfully, that's not the case...

The GPA Y/Ns currently seen on the site are completely automated. They have a database that automatically checks off courses that it recognizes. Thus, what you're currently seeing is not official. I was told that they are doing things alphabetically and are hand scoring the apps one by one. Thus, depending upon where you are in the alphabet, then you might not see offical Y/Ns for some time. I'm in the 'S' pool, so they told me to check back in early November to see if things were in order.

Oh thank GOODNESS. I wish they'd just told us not to have panic attacks! :laugh:

Hi all,

Thank you -so much- for this. I feel marginally better now.

Hmm, just wondering and not sure if anyone will know the answer to this:

I'm a marine biology major...am I to assume that most of my biology classes won't count in my sGPA? That would make me very :(

NStarz, my intro to marine bio class counts as a science prereque, as it did last year as well.

NStarz, my intro to marine bio class counts as a science prereque, as it did last year as well.

Good to hear, squibby. I'm just confused, because many of my classes are very much ecology based, and it sounds like others have those sorts of classes not count.

Hi all,

I am in the "T" pool. Dang it; I wish my last name started with an A; it would make my stress level much lower. Oh well; I won't worry about it until November.

I am in the "T" pool. Dang it; I wish my last name started with an A; it would make my stress level much lower. Oh well; I won't worry about it until November.

Well, at least you're not a "Z"... Though I'm happy to see someone around my area of the alphabet! We can celebrate together. :)

Hey guys, first year Illinois student here. Let me know if you have any questions!

Don't freak too much about the status page. They change things a lot and they actually had a few glitches last year which showed their admissions decisions prematurely and when they realized it they quickly removed them from the page. So I had already gotten all excited that I was in and then it was gone! It was a dirty trick lol

Well, at least you're not a "Z"... Though I'm happy to see someone around my area of the alphabet! We can celebrate together. :)

Yes we will have to celebrate together hopefully it won't be too long before they get our stuff inputed.

Hey guys, first year Illinois student here. Let me know if you have any questions!

Don't freak too much about the status page. They change things a lot and they actually had a few glitches last year which showed their admissions decisions prematurely and when they realized it they quickly removed them from the page. So I had already gotten all excited that I was in and then it was gone! It was a dirty trick lol

I remember all of that status page fiasco from last year. I hope it does not happen again this year, unless of course it tells me I am accepted and I really am. Then that is ok. ;)

Just curious, what did everyone choose to write about for their supplemental essay? I went with the food animal veterinarian shortage.

Just curious, what did everyone choose to write about for their supplemental essay? I went with the food animal veterinarian shortage.

Oh no, I did kinda the same thing. I wrote about LA and food animal shortage and how that effects issues like microbial resistance etc.