Illinois c/o 2015 Hopefuls

Started by Tco87
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I petitioned for them to ignore my older grades and it was accepted, which greatly helped my GPA since my undergrad grades were horrible! Unfortunately, this does mean that you have to have 12 hours of humanities/social science within 6 years and 1 English and either a 2nd English or a speech class. I ended up having to retake these to meet these requirements but the added bonus of this is that I was able to boost my last 45 GPA by taking things like Intro to Psychology, Sociology, and other freshman classes that were fairly easy As. We haven't heard about interviews yet this year so I don't know how much it helped me but it did boost my cumulative GPA by 0.5 by doing this.

Thanks! I think I'll make this process part of Plan B, or Plan C. Hope the Fighting Illini smile on you for the effort you put forth for them.
 
Did anyone actually do this:
Petition to Ignore Academic Record Completed over six years ago


as it's referred to on the website at: http://vetmed.illinois.edu/asa/brochure/03.html?

My questions: 1) were you successful and 2) what happens if you were counting on those long ago years to fulfill certain prerequisites like English or other Humanities?

I'd happily submit this petition next year but don't ever want to take an English course again.

If your petition is successful you don't get to use any of those classes to fulfill prerequisites.

I petitioned, and my status page says it was denied....don't know why.
 
Interview offers have been sent (I think maybe went out on Thursday?). Just got mine today!

Good luck to everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interview offers have been sent (I think maybe went out on Thursday?). Just got mine today!

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats, GreenMouse! I am anxiously checking the mailbox, inbox and status page. Hopefully I'll be in that pool with you (for the 2nd time)! Hopefully this time I get in!
 
I am massively confused.... I applied last year, got an interview and then was waitlisted. On my application review there were two things they told me to fix, I fixed them, and this year I didn't even get an interview...

🙁

By the way, I live in Champaign and the letter is dated the 12th. I don't know when it actually arrived since I've been on vacation the past week.

Edit: And my online status still says that my application review is in progress.
 
Last edited:
I am massively confused.... I applied last year, got an interview and then was waitlisted. On my application review there were two things they told me to fix, I fixed them, and this year I didn't even get an interview...

🙁

By the way, I live in Champaign and the letter is dated the 12th. I don't know when it actually arrived since I've been on vacation the past week.

Edit: And my online status still says that my application review is in progress.

Oh Tco that is a big bummer! I am soo sorry!! Hopefully the new review could shed some insight?
 
I'm an OOS applicant and I haven't received anything yet... did anyone's status page change if they were rejected or granted an interview?
 
Hmm, there don't seem to be any OOS interviews yet, just rejections. :xf::xf::xf: that they are on their way across the country for us!
 
I did the same. Sat at the pool which has a perfect view of the mailboxes, and the moment he drove away, off I went to check. Nothing today... :scared:

Yikes, and you are in CA too, huh?

I'm getting made fun of by the SO, she is suggesting I stake a tent at the mailbox.

I am thinking of attaching an extension to the flag on my mailbox to I can see it better from my house. I always be sure to have some kind of mail to go out on days that I'm waiting for the mail, so I can put the flag up, and watch it like a hawk.
 
My status page has changed! Where it says Interview Status it says please wait for official letter mailed 1/18/2011. Does that mean I got an interview or not? 😕 It doesn't say anything about interview offered just that an official letter has been sent.
 
My status page has changed! Where it says Interview Status it says please wait for official letter mailed 1/18/2011. Does that mean I got an interview or not? 😕 It doesn't say anything about interview offered just that an official letter has been sent.

I dunno. Mine says "Interview Offered - Please wait for official letter mailed 01/18/11"

Last year it said "Interview not Offered"

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf: for you!
 
I dunno. Mine says "Interview Offered - Please wait for official letter mailed 01/18/11"

Last year it said "Interview not Offered"

:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf: for you!

:meanie: I am getting so nervous. I want an interview from them so bad. They are at the top of my list of schools I want to attend. Well, my admisstion status still says: application review in progress. So maybe that is a good sign that I got an interview, at least I am hoping it is. :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
:meanie: I am getting so nervous. I want an interview from them so bad. They are at the top of my list of schools I want to attend. Well, my admisstion status still says: application review in progress. So maybe that is a good sign that I got an interview, at least I am hoping it is. :xf:

That's what my admission status says, so I would think that's good news. Boy, if you weren't a mailman stalker before, you will be now!
I hope you get the letter before you leave for Kansas.
 
That's what my admission status says, so I would think that's good news. Boy, if you weren't a mailman stalker before, you will be now!
I hope you get the letter before you leave for Kansas.

Luckily, for the mailman I am at work when he stops by; so I can't actively stalk 😛. Although, if I were sitting at home I would be waiting right by the window to my house looking for him. I am hoping for that letter to get here before Saturday, but it sure has quite a way to come in order to get here before then! Congrats, on your interview!! 😀
 
My status page has changed! Where it says Interview Status it says please wait for official letter mailed 1/18/2011. Does that mean I got an interview or not? 😕 It doesn't say anything about interview offered just that an official letter has been sent.

I just checked mine, it says the same thing.... I'm anxious to know what that means!!
 
I just checked mine, it says the same thing.... I'm anxious to know what that means!!

So, I was just offered an interview at Illinois. Do current students have any tips as toward what is the best way of getting out there? I'm coming from Boston, MA... so I'm thinking that I'll fly into Chicago and then rent a car. Any advice?
 
Yayayay I also have interview offered - mailed 1/18. Meaning we should get invites in the mail by tomorrow hopefully. YAYYYYY. 😀😀😀
Quite eager to get the mail now to confirm that they aren't just messing with me!
 
Any status change for you TT? (if you applied to IL, I don't remember).. You are wayyy overdue for many interview invites, what are they waiting for? :xf:
 
Nah, no Illinois here, and according to the average cum and sci GPA (sneakily acquired from whyevernot55) .... it's a good thing I didn't bother, lol. Not competitive at all.

I'm waiting for Western and Oklahoma, that's all.
 
Unfortunately, I got the letter yesterday saying my second phase wasn't competitive enough for the interview. It was the first rejection letter from the schools I applied to this year... so it was really discouraging.. but hope to hear good news from other schools. Good luck to everyone and congrats to those that got the interview offer! Cheers!
 
Just checked my status and I have the same thing (and I'm in VA)! Woo! So excited!!! At elast I'll be a little less nervous this time, seeing as how I've already interviewed there before! Just waiting for that official letter! Good luck to everyone!
 
DVMDream and Broncogal - sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but my status page says the same thing and I got a rejection letter. As far as I know, it's their policy to share bad news via mail rather than via the status page because they feel sharing on the status page is cold. I really hope that I'm wrong, but if I'm not, I'm really sorry 🙁

Anthrovet - Champaign has its own airport, though you would most likely have to connect out of Chicago to get here. There's also an airport at Bloomington that's an hour and a half away versus Chicago's two and a half hour drive.
 
Last edited:
I just checked my status page and it says I got an interview offer! I've already been accepted to Ohio, and it was higher up on my list than UI, but it may not hurt to check it out right? Putting my thinking cap on...
 
I've been e-mailing admissions about the interview day and a side note that got mentioned in the email is that they typically sent out the admission letters within the week after the interview so everyone that interviews will probably hear back pretty quickly, which is nice. 🙂
 
There is an airport here in Champaign, but it tends to be a lot more expensive. If not it would be the easiest way to get here. Also, there is an airport in Bloomington (45 min away) and Peoria (1.5 hours away). I guess it depends how much a car would cost you to rent vs higher costs of plane tickets. Chicago is not a bad drive at all, about 2.5-3 hours if you don't hit rush hour. If you can get a much better deal through Chicago I'd say do that!

Congrats on interviews and good luck!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sounds like all of the interviews are on 2/21, split into am and pm sessions. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the flights - the best option from CA seems to be to take Southwest to Midway and then either rent a car (but I'm scared to drive in the ice and snow!) or Amtrak up near campus. It looks like the Amtrak station is pretty close to campus. Current students, any recommendations on where to stay once there/if renting a car to get to campus is necessary?

ps. yay for googling. found some more info about interviewing day for those of us eager to know more before we get the actual letter. http://vetmed.illinois.edu/asa/interviews/classof2015.htm
 
Last edited:
Can you tell me what stood out the most to you about Illinois? What factors led to your decision to go there?
 
Sounds like all of the interviews are on 2/21, split into am and pm sessions. I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the flights - the best option from CA seems to be to take Southwest to Midway and then either rent a car (but I'm scared to drive in the ice and snow!) or Amtrak up near campus. It looks like the Amtrak station is pretty close to campus. Current students, any recommendations on where to stay once there/if renting a car to get to campus is necessary?

Getting to Champaign is an interesting question 🙂 The problem with Midway->Amtrak is that the Amtrak station is in downtown Chicago, and the train is notoriously late getting to Champaign (commonly 1/2 hour to an hour late). Just something to keep in mind. If you are not on a tight timeline, it is definitely a good option since you won't have to deal with driving in the snow. Often it is just fine, but if we recently got some, drifting over the highway in the fields can get a little hairy if you aren't used to it.

The Amtrak (as well as some buses - Megabus, LEX, Suburban Express - from O'Hare->Champaign) will drop you off at the "Illinois Terminal". There are always taxis at the terminal if you want to be taken to a hotel, or to a car rental place. This is also the main connection of the local bus system (http://www.cumtd.com/). The MTD is a really good way of getting around (though the routs are limited on weekends). The bus you'll need to get to the vet school is the 13 Silver, unfortunately it does not go from the Illinois Terminal. You'll need to take a bus from the terminal to campus, and then switch to the Silver there. The MTD staff at the Terminal are always very helpful and can explain it to you if you need.

There are lots of hotels around town, but again you'll be tied to the buses or will need a rental car. There are two hotels on campus. One is actually upstairs of the Illini Union (http://www.union.illinois.edu/Hotel/default.aspx) but I'm not sure how expensive it is. The other is the iHotel (http://stayatthei.com/) which is really close to the vet school. Walking distance in sneakers (or winter boots!), but not in fancy shoes (http://tinyurl.com/4n2qc94). There are lots of other hotel options, though.

Hope that is somewhat helpful! If you need more details, please don't hesitate to PM me! I live in town and would be happy to help.
 
Thanks GreenMouse! I spent forever researching online and eventually settled on the Ramada in Urbana, just because it allows me to cancel without penalty if I end up hearing good news from other schools and can avoid spending so much for more interviews. The hotels with arranged deals didn't seem to have that - plus they only gave us until yesterday to get the rooms for those deals, super short notice! I think I'm going to end up relying on taxis to get around the area. Or maybe I'll bus if I have extra time and am feeling adventurous. I'll get to Urbana Sun pm, so it's fine if the train takes it's time, as long as it gets there that night. Though I'm having horror images of the train getting stuck in the snow and never making it! (I'm quite the clueless scared West Coast girl! 😳)
My biggest realistic concern is, I'll be only staying at the hotel for one night so I have to take my duffel with me when I go to campus for the interview. Is it going to be weird/unprofessional to ask for somewhere to stash it during the interview day?
 
Good luck everyone! Just was notified of being rejected.... not really surprised but will be sticking with my acceptance at OSU. Wish you all the best!
 
I live in Champaign. If you fly into O'Hare or Midway, there is a bus you can take called the Lincolnland Express. It picks you up at the airport and brings you to Champaign.

The hotel closest to the Vet Med building is the I-Hotel.
 
so for those of you that accepted your interview offer, does your status page say the date is 00/00/00? Mine does. Weird. It has the right time though.
 
thedogisgreen - i'm flying out from california as well, although into bloomington, not chicago. i like having the autonomy of a rental car and knew i didn't want to make the 2.5 drive. i also looked online for a while to find a place, but ended up just going with one of the cheapest options, the red roof inn. this trip is going to end up costing around 500 dollars even with choosing the cheapest stuff i could...sigh. let's hope that all the interview day stuff will be worth making the trip out!
 
thedogisgreen - i'm flying out from california as well, although into bloomington, not chicago. i like having the autonomy of a rental car and knew i didn't want to make the 2.5 drive. i also looked online for a while to find a place, but ended up just going with one of the cheapest options, the red roof inn. this trip is going to end up costing around 500 dollars even with choosing the cheapest stuff i could...sigh. let's hope that all the interview day stuff will be worth making the trip out!

teatime, I'm also flying into bloomington. where are you renting the car from? I'm trying to decide if thats what I should do...
 
teatime, I'm also flying into bloomington. where are you renting the car from? I'm trying to decide if thats what I should do...

I made a reservation online with budget at the airport terminal. I'll be getting there at about 7pm on the 20th. It was about 40 bucks through hotwire.

I rented a car when I went for my Ohio interview and it really is helpful not to have to rely on buses or taxis.
 
Is there a reason nobody is flying into Champaign? It's only 10 bucks more than Bloomington.
 
Not the flights I was looking at...it was almost double to fly into Champaign. 😱

Ditto teatime. The cheapest and most direct flights I am finding are through Indianapolis, which then gives me a 2+ hour drive. That's a long drive considering the weather out there lately!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ditto teatime. The cheapest and most direct flights I am finding are through Indianapolis, which then gives me a 2+ hour drive. That's a long drive considering the weather out there lately!

Mine was $420 from SF to Champaign (with one stop of course) on American Airlines!
 
I found it way cheaper to Chicago than Bloomington or any other airports in the area. I guess they all change their prices constantly? Argh.
 
Hi Everyone,

First off, I want to say "CONGRATULATIONS" to all of you who got an interview to UIUC VetMed! For those of you who didn't I wish you luck with your other schools 🙂

So, for those of you coming in to interview, I suggest going through Ohare, Midway, Bloomington or even Indy. The reason I say this is that last year, all the flights going out of CMI were canceled due to weather. If you go through a larger airport, there is a better chance of you getting out on time. This was a huge factor for me, since I had to be back for midterms for my Masters program the next day!

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them or pm me. I won't be back on until tomorrow though.

Good luck!!!!!