Illinois c/o 2015 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone still looking for a roommate? I will be renting (or maybe buying) a 2 bedroom apartment/condo within 4 miles of the Vet Med campus. Message me and I will give you more info about myself (i.e. habits, personality) and the list of apartments! Must be non-smoking and willing to live with a two year old, 25 lb, crate trained, friendly, miniature American Eskimo dog.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
is joining the student AVMA worth it? i'm looking at this list and other stuff listed on the application form.

"ISCAVMA also coordinates and distributes class notes for first through third year students." do they still do this?

im curious about the reduced subscription fees to the JAVMA and AJVR - aren't those journals available through the UIUC vet med library?

finally, is it cheaper to buy the supplies (bibs, scrubs, etc) from ISCAVMA or its the same at the vet med store? i'd rather be there in person to fit them

any general thoughts or comments about the student org would be appreciated. thanks!

Baha. I will go under the dumb heading with you.

Hardly.

is joining the student AVMA worth it? i'm looking at this list and other stuff listed on the application form.

"ISCAVMA also coordinates and distributes class notes for first through third year students." do they still do this?

im curious about the reduced subscription fees to the JAVMA and AJVR - aren't those journals available through the UIUC vet med library?

finally, is it cheaper to buy the supplies (bibs, scrubs, etc) from ISCAVMA or its the same at the vet med store? i'd rather be there in person to fit them

any general thoughts or comments about the student org would be appreciated. thanks!

Vet med store???

Are you on our class' Facebook page? People there have talked this stuff up a storm.
I think that some items are worth it to buy from the ISCAVMA, like the surgery pack, but not others, like the boots or the scrubs. You don't have to buy ALL of it from them, just what you need. Just make sure you have comparable items of those you don't get from them.

And, thanks for posting in that other thread. :D

Hardly.

Vet med store???

Are you on our class' Facebook page? People there have talked this stuff up a storm.
I think that some items are worth it to buy from the ISCAVMA, like the surgery pack, but not others, like the boots or the scrubs. You don't have to buy ALL of it from them, just what you need. Just make sure you have comparable items of those you don't get from them.

And, thanks for posting in that other thread. :D

yea, there's a vet med store that sells textbooks and stuff. there's this tiny closet hidden in the clinical skills building that sells scrubs and stuff, dunno if that's part of the vet med store. ok, good to know. i think 4.50 for a penlight is...weird. i'll go read up on comments and secretly try to identify you haha.

no problem, i don't really pay attention to those threads, because i don't know anyone!

umm......i'm on the official Vet ASA one. i figured that ppl would ditch the unofficial one. i guess i will go join now haha.

Last edited:
yea, there's a vet med store that sells textbooks and stuff. there's this tiny closet hidden in the clinical skills building that sells scrubs and stuff, dunno if that's part of the vet med store. ok, good to know. i think 4.50 for a penlight is...weird. i'll go read up on comments and secretly try to identify you haha.

no problem, i don't really pay attention to those threads, because i don't know anyone!

umm......i'm on the official Vet ASA one. i figured that ppl would ditch the unofficial one. i guess i will go join now haha.

A vet med store in a closet, awesome. That actually reminds me of something I saw at Ohio, pretty sure that was a closet too.

The unofficial FB page is way more active than the official. Go figure. You should be able to find me fairly easily, there aren't too many of us from CA on there.

You don't have to buy ALL of it from them, just what you need. Just make sure you have comparable items of those you don't get from them.

I was wondering if we had to buy them all or not. In the form it highlights and says " Membership to ISCAVMA is required to purchase the items in the package."

Package items:
Scrubs, Boots, Bib coveralls (2 pairs recommended), Digital thermometer, Penlight, Surgical Pack, Hoof pick

And I did not want all of the items... Did someone say on the class website that we did not have to get them all?

You can pick and choose whatever you want, you just can't buy anything unless you join ISCAVMA.

A vet med store in a closet, awesome. That actually reminds me of something I saw at Ohio, pretty sure that was a closet too.

The unofficial FB page is way more active than the official. Go figure. You should be able to find me fairly easily, there aren't too many of us from CA on there.

umm....did everyone pair off into roommates already? i need someone to live with =( and no one responded to me on the official fb group

oh, and squibby, nor or socal?

umm....did everyone pair off into roommates already? i need someone to live with =( and no one responded to me on the official fb group

oh, and squibby, nor or socal?

Def. try the unofficial FB group for your roomie needs.

Nor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! This is the resident FinAid newb speaking again. Aside from the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note on StudentLoans.gov, are there other items to complete before receiving that noose on the neck for borrowing money?

For Illinois's supplemental app...it wants registration #'s for all the times I've taken the GRE. I have my 'report of scores' sheet in front of me and it only gives one registration #. I've taken the GRE three times. So would this registration # be the same for each test?

Hi! This is the resident FinAid newb speaking again. Aside from the Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note on StudentLoans.gov, are there other items to complete before receiving that noose on the neck for borrowing money?

I don't think so. I never took any of the loans, but I was told that was what I had to do if I wanted to ever to get them.

For Illinois's supplemental app...it wants registration #'s for all the times I've taken the GRE. I have my 'report of scores' sheet in front of me and it only gives one registration #. I've taken the GRE three times. So would this registration # be the same for each test?

Did you figure out the answer to your question? I tried to look at my score reports but they are packed up in boxes for my move.

We kinda died out on the thread, but I just wanted to see when everyone was going to be in the area. I wanted to meet up and have an SDN lunch or something. I will be moving pretty late cause my work needs me and I need the money. So I will be there around aug 14th. What about everybody else and would everyone want to meet up before all the orientation starts?

I am in town, right now, if people want to meet and have a chat.

I'm an "old lady" ;) with kids, so give me sometime to schedule stuff, if you want to meet.

I'm also around all summer, so just let me know when you feel like meeting up. I work, but can generally find time in the evening.

I will be arriving August 8th, and would love to meet up!

we'll be gettin there on Aug. 1st! can't wait to meet everyone!

Congrats to all of you in the U of I CVM class of 2015! I hope you're enjoying these last few weeks of summer before all the craziness starts.

I've got a few books from my first year that I'm trying to sell. I don't know if they are the same ones that are recommended/required for your class or not, but I can't imagine that the fields of anatomy and physiology have changed drastically in the two years since I used them. Drop me a line at [email protected] if you'd like to buy anything (we can do the exchange of money for books once you're here for orientation).

Physiology, Third Edition by Linda S. Costanzo - $20
This book saved my butt when we started doing renal physiology.

Respiratory Physiology: the Essentials, Eighth Edition by John B. West - $20
You won't have the same prof that my class did for respiratory, but I think this book would be really helpful, regardless. There are lots of illustrations for those people (like me) who are visual learners and can't make hide nor hair of formulas without them.

Textbook of Veterinary Histology by Don A. Samuelson - $50
Lots and lots of pretty pictures.

All of these books are in excellent condition. I'm not a big highlighter, so the pages are pretty clean as well (most of the highlighting is in one of the first chapters of the histology book back when I was trying to be super studious).