Advice from mothers applying or currently attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cypress

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an older, returning student currently applying and continuing to improve my application for vet school. My husband and I have begun talking about when the best time to start our family will be. I am looking for any thoughts, advice, or experiences from any fellow applicants that may have families or are also thinking about starting theirs.

What has it been like attending vet school as a mother? Anyone get pregnant while in vet school? Anyone else applying and considering and weighing the options of starting a family, trying to figure out when the right time will be?

Members don't see this ad.

I am an older, returning student currently applying and continuing to improve my application for vet school. My husband and I have begun talking about when the best time to start our family will be. I am looking for any thoughts, advice, or experiences from any fellow applicants that may have families or are also thinking about starting theirs.

What has it been like attending vet school as a mother? Anyone get pregnant while in vet school? Anyone else applying and considering and weighing the options of starting a family, trying to figure out when the right time will be?

Here's an old thread on this.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=306743

As for my two cents, I think it all depends on your own situation and the specific school. Some schools/classes are easier or more accomodating than others. Most schools do not have maternity leave, so if you take a leave of absence, it's up to the school whether to let you in the next year's class.

And, unfortunately, not all pregnancies and births go as planned. I think it would be extremely difficult to have a baby while in vet school, but if you run into any complications (bed rest, extreme morning sickness, unhealthy baby, or even the emotional pain of infertility), it only gets worse. I've recently seen my sister have complications, and it was tough enough on her as a stay-at-home mom (with two older children). She and the baby are fine now, but a few weeks of incapacitation, at the wrong time of year, could really hinder your professional aspirations.

Members don't see this ad :)
My boss gave birth during the middle of third year. I think it was pretty stressful, but she clearly survived it.

I'd definitely have a discussion with the admins about it and see what the school's policy is on pregnancy and the possibility of having to take a year off. I know Tennessee is cool with it (and on average has about 5 pregnancies per year between the four classes), and has coping mechanisms in place for things like anatomy lab, radiology and anesthesia. They also are more than willing to let you take a year off if complications are impinging on your ability to go to class. But schools may differ in how they handle it.

Personally, I'm planning on trying for being pregnant during second year (baby arriving in the summer). I really don't expect things to go exactly according to plan, but I'm not willing to put off life just because I'm in school.

My first piece of advice is that there is never a "good" time to get pregnant and/or have a baby! ;) You will always not have enough money, not have enough time, not have enough energy, wanted to do something else, etc... So be careful about any "reasons" (excuses) for not starting a family--look closely at them to see if they really and truly get in the way. That said, there are certainly times when it's more opportune or less convenient to have a baby, so trying to plan is always a good thing--I like to have life planned out, in general, anyway (my husband and I have a 10 year plan/timeline that we wrote out).

I had my first child the summer between my junior and senior years of undergraduate. He was a surprise for my husband and I. We hadn't planned on starting a family until we were both done with undergraduate (my husband was still in school at the time as well). But, of course, we rolled with it, and I actually think my son might be better off for having spent his younger years watching us study our butts off (he's 6 and likes looking at text books and watching lecture videos...LOL!) :D . It was difficult, but not too hard. We couldn't put as much time into extracurriculars (but I did take him with me to club meetings and activities, and both my husband and I took him to class a couple of times, because we had no other childcare--we planned our classes such that one of us could always take care of him, but tests outside of regular hours caused some issues with that plan), and we couldn't just go hang out with friends until midnight (we weren't partiers, so we weren't affected there). But it all worked out wonderfully, I think. We planned our second baby, and our third was another surprise. So, just be careful thinking that you can carefully plan out baby creation, LOL. It doesn't always work so perfectly--with both babies coming when you didn't expect them too, and the possible fertility issues that are more common as you get older.

I'm not a big fan of fear-mongering about pregnancy complications. Most pregnancies in healthy women who take care of themselves, eat right, and exercise are uneventful. But, it is important that you are taking good care of yourself. So, given my experience, anytime it's possible that you could get pregnant, and especially if you are in a stressful environment, like school (and especially vet school), take really good care of yourself (by eating as well as you can manage, taking vitamins/supplements, and making exercise a habit) and if/when you do get pregnant, you'll be more likely to have a smooth and uneventful pregnancy and birth.

Remember that during pregnancy, you'll be tired and have less energy. And sleep will be important for not only your baby's development, but for you to function properly. And caffeine is a debated topic...some people cut it out while others don't (personally, with my first, while I was in college, I cut out caffeine, cold...with my second, I had none in the beginning and some later on...and with my third, I had small amounts when I thought it was really necessary throughout...).

In general, having a daily plan and a schedule is important. If you don't, you simply won't get things done. Kids, even as babies, suck up a lot of time (and so does housework...and if you're not careful, the internet). This is important all the time, but I'm finding it imperative right now as I'm preparing/trying to get in.

If you do decide to have a baby before or during vet school, have a plan for what you guys will do...but, mentally, leave flexibility in that plan. We have made our plan, but it's possible that it will change if that becomes necessary or best for our family. As of right now, my husband and my kids will not be moving with me to vet school. My husband is in the Marine Corps reserves and is on his second deployment (since we've had kids), so we're basically just going to switch places/roles a bit (which I know happens in dual-military families all the time). My husband has a good job and we have a house, and I'm applying to vet schools within the region so that I can use commuter rail/trains or commuter flights to get back and forth, if it's not an easily drivable distance. If he deploys again while I am still in school, my kids and a nanny will simply come live with me. Of course, it won't be as simple as "simply"...it will involve moving making sure my place I'm renting is big enough, moving all their stuff, and changing schools, and then being the primary parent again. But it can be done, and won't be that much different from what we're already sort of used to.

Last edited:
Also, here's this and this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=378776

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=691599

Just a couple more recent ones. Incidentally, I just had a conversation today with a brand new mother-to-be who's planning on applying for c/o 2016 - she's due in June.

Personally, I'll be holding out for a while...

Wow..I missed a lot, I know, with my erratic visits to this forum...but this was quite something for me to miss! It was uplifting to see that there was not just one, but two, other forum members who had homebirths! All three of my babies were born via planned homebirth. Just like Jochabed did in that thread, I'll put myself out as someone who is willing to answer homebirth questions (in addition, of course, to basic pregnancy/childbirth/motherhood questions).

I'm not a big fan of fear-mongering about pregnancy complications. Most pregnancies in healthy women who take care of themselves, eat right, and exercise are uneventful. But, it is important that you are taking good care of yourself. So, given my experience, anytime it's possible that you could get pregnant, and especially if you are in a stressful environment, like school (and especially vet school), take really good care of yourself (by eating as well as you can manage, taking vitamins/supplements, and making exercise a habit) and if/when you do get pregnant, you'll be more likely to have a smooth and uneventful pregnancy and birth.

I didn't mean to "fearmonger," but some (healthy) women deal with extra emotional or physical problems in one of their pregnancies; and plenty of women struggle with infertility, which is a heart-wrenching experience that can take over your life for months. I simply think that when making a decision like this, which affects both your family and career, you need to consider all of the facts. Ultimately you need to prioritize for yourself and make your own informed decision. If family is most important, go for it! If career is top, then perhaps taking extra steps for birth control is warranted.

I didn't mean to "fearmonger," but some (healthy) women deal with extra emotional or physical problems in one of their pregnancies; and plenty of women struggle with infertility, which is a heart-wrenching experience that can take over your life for months. I simply think that when making a decision like this, which affects both your family and career, you need to consider all of the facts. Ultimately you need to prioritize for yourself and make your own informed decision. If family is most important, go for it! If career is top, then perhaps taking extra steps for birth control is warranted.

I know...it's simply that our society has a tendency to over-emphasize the problems that women have during pregnancy and labor. I fully believe that much of a woman's experience during pregnancy and childbirth is related to attitude towards them. Therefore if a woman (and her partner) is more positive about pregnancy and childbirth prior to and during these events, they are more likely feel healthier and happier (which ultimately makes everything go much more smoothly). I'm not advocating that people ignore the complications that can occur...especially since prevention is the best treatment! I just simply think that women should approach pregnancy and childbirth with a more positive outlook.

It is also important, I think, to help others inform and educate themselves about pregnancy and childbirth, and that was part of my point. I make it a point to let others know that most pregnancies are normal and healthy. Or they should be. Most women are healthy enough to have a normal, uneventful pregnancy and a similarly natural, normal, uneventful childbirth. It is the fear of pregnancy and childbirth that has led us to the state we are in, in regards to the number and extent of interventions that women typically go through with OB/hospital care. Personally, I read all about the various childbirth complications and symptoms of them in a book written for midwives prior to deciding to have my first homebirth. I got the facts, rationalized them and the chances of me actually having a complication, and chose to have a homebirth. But other women might not be comfortable making the same choice I made. This, as with the basic choice of when to start a family, is a deeply personal one. You are correct in that prioritization is a hugely important aspect of making plans regarding family, education, and career goals. A situation that would be ideal or excellent for one family could be the complete opposite for another family.

How on earth could you afford a child your junior year of college?

:scared:

How on earth could you afford a child your junior year of college?

:scared:

Well, we kinda sorta had too, LOL! Neither of us had a parent paying for anything, so money for school was coming from loans anyway. We each borrowed the full amount we were allowed to (private loans) for that last year to cover living expenses. I breast-fed and pumped for most of the year, so formula wasn't a huge expense. And we got baby clothes cheaply--hand-me-downs, yard sales, thrift shops, etc.. My husband and I also both worked part-time. And since we balanced our schedules such that one of us was always available to take care of the baby, and we had a family member that stayed with us briefly as well, we didn't have to pay for childcare. It actually wasn't that difficult to budget...we had a small 1 bedroom apartment, so we weren't concerned with decorating or furnishing the baby's room. We actually co-slept, and had been given a play-pen as a gift, so we didn't have to worry at all about furniture for him. We made do with what we had for keeping his clothes (we really didn't have room for an additional dresser anyway).

The biggest expense for us, in all actuality, was the childbirth itself. Because we chose to have a homebirth, we had to pay for it out of pocket (it's possible our insurance would have covered it, but it would have required us to really push, and there had been cases in which the homebirth was covered and others in which it hadn't been, with this same company, so it would have been kind of hit-and-miss, and we didn't want to bother). Fortunately, our midwife allowed us to make payments on it. If I remember correctly, we did put the last payment on a credit card (because we felt better to have paid off the debt to the midwife).

Thank you so much for all your input! Especially favhrnstr and Mama070609!

Definately so much to consider - but it is comforting to know that I'm not the only one who wants both a family and a career, and to be working on them at the same time.