WAMC - after attending ross vet prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rileyberk

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I was looking for opinions on whether I would have a shot at being admitted to a vet program in the states or to St. George.

I applied to vet school and attended Ross Vet Prep, but withdrew for mental health reasons my grades were in good standing. The distance from home was not great for me and I didn't have the support I needed... I was also 21 at the time. I took some time away (almost 3 years) and have been researching in comparative medicine at Harvard.

My GPA is only a 3.1 (I know very low). I have 3000 hours of in clinic experience, and I could get some genuinely good lors from supervisors and vets that I work with. I was a collegiate track athlete and am active in my community. I'm also a man of color.
I do want it in the end, I'm just not sure if I have another chance and I don't think that where I went was ideal for me at that time. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How far along were you when you dropped out of the Ross Vet Prep program?

Have you done outreach with vet schools you want to attend?
Hi!

I was more than half way through the semester, a little more than 3 months in.

I have done some outreach, Ross told me I wouldn't be able to re-attend vet prep as it's a once and done situation. They let me know that if I reapplied I would have a chance at being accepted as a 1st semester student as I have all of the prerequisites, the only thing holding me back would be the 3.1.

The other vet schools l contacted gave me me some mixed reviews. A lot of the schools that I applied to my first time around were very gpa oriented. They mentioned I had strong experience but my grades are out of their target range for accepted students. I'm struggling to find some schools that review applications holistically (any recommendations would be amazing especially if they emphasize research experience).

I'm from PA originally and am currently in MA. I've already figured I'm not a candidate for Tufts or UPenn so I'll be applying oos.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you willing to consider a postbac program for pre-veterinary students? I don't know what others here would recommend, but if you have to show you can handle tougher science coursework, that may be where the road is taking you if you want to travel to vet school.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!

I was more than half way through the semester, a little more than 3 months in.

I have done some outreach, Ross told me I wouldn't be able to re-attend vet prep as it's a once and done situation. They let me know that if I reapplied I would have a chance at being accepted as a 1st semester student as I have all of the prerequisites, the only thing holding me back would be the 3.1.

The other vet schools l contacted gave me me some mixed reviews. A lot of the schools that I applied to my first time around were very gpa oriented. They mentioned I had strong experience but my grades are out of their target range for accepted students. I'm struggling to find some schools that review applications holistically (any recommendations would be amazing especially if they emphasize research experience).

I'm from PA originally and am currently in MA. I've already figured I'm not a candidate for Tufts or UPenn so I'll be applying oos.
I'm a little biased as an ISU grad. If you meet ISU's GPA minimums (you didn't say what your science prereq GPA was), they'll read your whole application and they do like students with a little more experience, particularly in research.