Advice for Improving Application (Current Sophomore/Low GPA/Good Experience)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derka

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently a sophomore majoring in Neuroscience on the pre-vet track.

By the end of my current term (which ends in two weeks) I will have a 3.07 GPA. I struggled my freshman year as I had to make lots of adjustments to my study habits from high school, but my GPA has definitely been improving. The term I am currently in would be the start of my "last 45" and I would be starting off with a 3.56 (not bad, not excellent). By the time vet school applications roll around (senior fall) I could plausibly bring my overall GPA up to around a 3.44.

I was considering overloading with my coursework (English, History, etc.) during a term or two just to boost my overall GPA. Although these types of classes wouldn't help my science GPA, it would be nice to not have to worry as much about missing GPA cut-offs from some schools by the time I apply. I'd also be willing to take some classes over the summer as a GPA boost (as I am planning on doing with Organic Chemistry 1&2).

I'll list some extracurriculars/other experience I have below, although I'm not sure on hours (I'd have to look through calendars/etc.).

Veterinary Experience:
  • Equine Clinic Externship
  • ER Department Shadowing
  • Neurology Department Shadowing
Animal Experience:
  • Shark Research Internship (lots of hands-on experience)
  • Wildlife Rescue Volunteer
  • Spay/Neuter Clinic Volunteer
  • Animal Research Lab Volunteer
Research Experience:
  • Cognitive Psychology Lab
Other Medical Experience:
  • EMT Certification/Volunteer EMT
  • Shadowing in the ER (Human Medicine)
Languages:
  • English
  • ASL (American Sign Language)
  • French
  • Latin
  • Arabic
  • Hieroglyphs (if they count lol)
Extracurriculars/Other:
  • Founder and President of my college's Neuroscience Club
  • English Tutor for Ukrainians (volunteering)
  • Equestrian (13+ years)
  • anatomical illustrations as a hobby
  • blog specifically dedicated to my experience as a pre-vet student
Plans for the Future:
  • working in more research labs
  • more shadowing this summer/next academic year
  • more experience with a larger variety of animals/fields within vet med
  • on track to be on Dean's list this academic year
How am I doing in terms of extracurriculars/experience? What should I add to my "Plans for the Future"? Is the GRE worth considering?

I also believe that I have good essays in progress and a good "why me" that I think sets me apart from other applicants. I am confident in my writing so I am confident that my personal statement will be a boost. My concern is getting past the GPA cut-off.

I should add that I am leaning towards UK/European vets schools, with my top choice being the University of Edinburgh and my second choice being University College Dublin.

So, the big question I have is how badly will my GPA affect my chances of getting into vet school, even with the experience/etc.?

Thank you for any advice!

Members don't see this ad.

We really need more details like how many hours you have logged at these experiences. 5 hours in each would be a lot different than 500-1000 hours in each category. If you’re a sophomore you theoretically have plenty of time to raise your GPA so I’d make excelling in your courses your number one priority followed by getting additional veterinary experience.

Taking a bunch of courses may or may not be effective, as each school calculated GPA differently. Figure out what schools you’re gonna target and see what they use to calculate GPA. Some care about science or last 45 or pre-req GPA more than overall and others do have overall requirements. You need to do research and know what places you are interested in require. I would recommend just focusing your attention on the required courses and acing them rather than trying to play games and get overwhelmed by too many optional courses. It could easily backfire and drag your GPA down if you don’t get As in courses you’re “overloading” with.

We really need more details like how many hours you have logged at these experiences. 5 hours in each would be a lot different than 500-1000 hours in each category. If you’re a sophomore you theoretically have plenty of time to raise your GPA so I’d make excelling in your courses your number one priority followed by getting additional veterinary experience.

Taking a bunch of courses may or may not be effective, as each school calculated GPA differently. Figure out what schools you’re gonna target and see what they use to calculate GPA. Some care about science or last 45 or pre-req GPA more than overall and others do have overall requirements. You need to do research and know what places you are interested in require. I would recommend just focusing your attention on the required courses and acing them rather than trying to play games and get overwhelmed by too many optional courses. It could easily backfire and drag your GPA down if you don’t get As in courses you’re “overloading” with.
Thank you for the reply!! Lots of good advice. I’ll look into specifics for each school and make a spreadsheet. I appreciate it!