2009 Percent App/Enrollees by Range of GPA/DAT-A Guide to:"Do I Stand a Chance?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc toothache

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
One of the most often asked question is “What are my chances with my gpa/DAT scores?”. The recently published information by the ADEA and ADA may provide us with a fairly educated guess. For 2009, the total first year enrollment was 5089 while the total number of first time enrollees was 4831. The difference of 258 (5%) probably represents the number of first year students repeating the year.

GPA

There are some interesting observations on gpa. The good news for the Under 3.0 Club is that fully 25% of the applicants with a gpa greater than 3.75 in either the science or overall gpa did not gain acceptance. The bad news is that less than 10% of applicants with a gpa lower than 3.0 in the sciences were accepted; the overall gpa category was less forgiving with only 3% gaining a positive nod.

DAT

For those of you who keep freaking out over the high DAT scores reported on SDN or on predents, the good news is that in the DAT frequency of 21+ AA scores 1.5% or 183 of those examinees did not submit their application. The bad news is that 94% of the enrollees had AA scores of 17 and above which slightly below the DAT mean scores.
Note that the ADEA reports a considerably higher number of examinees than that previously reported by the ADA in their DAT Frequency Tables. The difference may be explained by the fact that the ADA Frequency Tables included only first time takers whereas the ADEA Report 3 includes new examinees (8735) and those repeating the exam (5260). The ADA has not published the frequency tables for 2008, 2009 or 2010. One wonders if the yo-yo phenomenon seen in the AA scores for 2006 and 2007 had anything to do with the grand secrecy.

Source: http://www.adea.org/publications/tde/Pages/Students.aspx
http://www.ada.org/sections/educationAndCareers/pdfs/dat_users_manual.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• ADEA 09 Statistics-Mod 10-25-10.xls
    28 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
One of the most often asked question is “What are my chances with my gpa/DAT scores?”. The recently published information by the ADEA may provide us with a fairly educated guess. For 2009, the total first year enrollment was 5089 while the total number of first time enrollees was 4831. The difference of 258 (5%) probably represents the number of first year students repeating the year.

GPA

There are some interesting observations on gpa. The good news for the Under 3.0 Club is that fully 25% of the applicants with a gpa greater than 3.75 in either the science or overall gpa did not gain acceptance. The bad news is that less than 10% of applicants with a gpa lower than 3.0 in the sciences were accepted; the overall gpa category was less forgiving with only 3% gaining a positive nod.

DAT

For those of you who keep freaking out over the high DAT scores reported on SDN or on predents, the good news is that the DAT frequency in the 21+ AA scores is considerably higher (16.4%) for the examinees than for applicant pool (9.8%). In other words, there were 805 individuals with DAT scores over 21 that did not apply. A slightly lower number (3.7%) is seen with TS. PAT appears to be the most forgiving followed by TS and AA.

Source: http://www.adea.org/publications/tde/Pages/Students.aspx

:claps:

thanks tootache. how curious that so many people take the DAT and do not follow through. very interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks tootache. how curious that so many people take the DAT and do not follow through. very interesting.

Maybe they take a year off before applying? Some take it after their sophomore year?

Just some thoughts... :D

Yeah I was curious as to why individuals who get 21+ scores but do not apply?

Another epic thread.... thanks for your hard work Doc!! :horns:

Maybe they take a year off before applying? Some take it after their sophomore year? Just some thoughts... :D

Yeah I was curious as to why individuals who get 21+ scores but do not apply?

The obituary may have been written prematurely. The original post and the information has been modified to reflect a change. The ADA Frequency Tables previously on the ADA website included only first time exam takers while the Report 3 by the ADEA includes first time takers and repeaters. In either case, one would not expect to see such a great discrepancy in the distribution.

Thanks... I've been dreaming about these for weeks now.

so only about 144 (3%) people with GPA's below 3.0 get in....? Yikes! :(

Hey does anyone know if somewhere on the internet I can find a distribution of DAT scores with respect to ethnicity/race? Thanks!

Rejections:
Nova- 10/19 :(

Pending: :xf::luck:
BU, Tufts, Columbia, Penn, Harvard

I don't know why someone would take the DAT 8 times. That's someone chasing a dream that will never come true.

I don't know why someone would take the DAT 8 times. That's someone chasing a dream that will never come true.

Or he/she was scouting for one of the DAT consulting firms.