Resign or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Actinomycin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had an absolutely horrible day - The fourth in less than two weeks. I have had some stores where I have really enjoyed my shifts - excellent techs, good tech hours, good customers. But every third day, I am sent to a store which is worse than hell -40 scripts in the queue by the time I get there, tech hours cut, cashier promoted to tech without any training, tech comes in drunk and spends more time texting than filling scripts, rudest customers, nothing ordered, no permanent pharmacist - floaters run the store. I can not get 40 hours a week if I refuse to do this store. Should I resign or hang on?

Members don't see this ad.

id definitely leave the resigning on the table but FIRST I'd talk to the person in charge and talk about fixing the issue or coming to some compromise. For me, the whole 40 scripts waiting is pretty ridiculous. And the whole drunk tech thing needs to corrected (it's your butt on the line if something happens remember?). I'd honestly feel the same as you but I'd first talk to the owner or manager first then decide whether you want to leave or not. It's still a bit too early to resign.

You are a floater there? Hell, if you are, just do your job and get out of there in, 8, 12, 14 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me guess, CVS?

If you're a floater there, can you offer to take over as PIC of the store? Maybe get some extra bonus money to turn the store around?

It sounds like this is what they want/need. I'm not sure about this pharmacy, but at mine PIC was a job that was basically worn like an albatross around the neck. We went through them relatively quickly.

Oh the reason I am asking about resigning is -
Do you think it is pretty much similar with all chains and I am going to more or less end up in similar circumstances after changing jobs?

Becoming a DM there is out of question. 3 DMs have resigned in the last 7 months at that store. The techs run a mafia and the town seems to be on something (well that may not be 100% true as I am drunk and out of my mind right now)

Monetarily, I can get by for upto 4-6 months without a job. What else can I look for? Long term care, target, publix, nuclear - all these I have heard are pretty good and possible to get into without a residency. What options would open up if I start an MBA part-time.

Oh by the way the following events made the previous week and especially today super special -

1) Customer brings in insurance card when coming to pick up the script (not when dropping it off) and creates a scene that it took a few more minutes to get his script ready. His idea of insurance is something that is swiped like a credit card at the register.
2) Mr. Coupon who has 4 prescriptions. Runs a grand scheme where he transfers one rx to a different pharmacy and tries getting 20/25$ coupons from each one. Called kmart to get a copy, said they also needed one for the same guy. Oh he wanted to get a coupon at both places. Throws a fit when I said he cant use a coupon again within 6 months.
3) A rx was mistyped and 3 refills entered instead of none for a CIII substance. I refuse to fill it since there were no real refills and it was a typo. Doctors office closed to get any more refills. Throws a fit that her bottle said she had 3 refills and I was refusing to give her medication.
4) Someone comes from a doctor 400 miles away with a script for 240 oxyco..... On telling them I need to call and verify with the MD they throw a fit and tell me they will take all their business elsewhere. All the business was the last 240 oxy....filled just a few days back by another floater.
5) This lady wants to talk to the DM that we are not carrying her medication and always out of stock. The techs do the ordering and as a floater coming to that store after 7 days I have absolutely no idea why it wasnt ordered.
6) Confront tech about not entering correct doctors name. Get some valuable wisdom - it really doesnot matter if we put the right doctors name. It is all scanned in the system and whoever wants to change it can go ahead and do that.
7) Me no english customer - brings a walmart bottle with one refill remaining - wants to get a rx transferred from walmart. Call walmart, they said they already transferred it to target. Call the 2 targets in town - the guy has already used up all his refills - just trying to go to different pharmacies in town with an old button. Just refuses to get the idea that no refills are remaining - his walmart bottle says one refill is remaing - eats up 10 valuable minutes of my day.
8) Will think more about all these special events. Join in and add to this list............

Come over to long term care. Worst thing that happened so far has been a nurse confronting me at 1020PM while I was making deliveries about why we didn't fill the prescriptions for one of the new admissions. I just looked her in the face and said "Anything transmitted after 9:00:00PM will not be filled. They will send up the meds tomorrow around 11AM."

Note: Pharmacy is officially closed after 9PM. Doors closed, don't answer any phones, don't fill anything transmitted after 9PM. Just get ready to pack up the orders, deliver, and then leave.

Oh the reason I am asking about resigning is -
Do you think it is pretty much similar with all chains and I am going to more or less end up in similar circumstances after changing jobs?

Becoming a DM there is out of question. 3 DMs have resigned in the last 7 months at that store. The techs run a mafia and the town seems to be on something (well that may not be 100% true as I am drunk and out of my mind right now)

Monetarily, I can get by for upto 4-6 months without a job. What else can I look for? Long term care, target, publix, nuclear - all these I have heard are pretty good and possible to get into without a residency. What options would open up if I start an MBA part-time.

Oh by the way the following events made the previous week and especially today super special -

1) Customer brings in insurance card when coming to pick up the script (not when dropping it off) and creates a scene that it took a few more minutes to get his script ready. His idea of insurance is something that is swiped like a credit card at the register.
2) Mr. Coupon who has 4 prescriptions. Runs a grand scheme where he transfers one rx to a different pharmacy and tries getting 20/25$ coupons from each one. Called kmart to get a copy, said they also needed one for the same guy. Oh he wanted to get a coupon at both places. Throws a fit when I said he cant use a coupon again within 6 months.
3) A rx was mistyped and 3 refills entered instead of none for a CIII substance. I refuse to fill it since there were no real refills and it was a typo. Doctors office closed to get any more refills. Throws a fit that her bottle said she had 3 refills and I was refusing to give her medication.
4) Someone comes from a doctor 400 miles away with a script for 240 oxyco..... On telling them I need to call and verify with the MD they throw a fit and tell me they will take all their business elsewhere. All the business was the last 240 oxy....filled just a few days back by another floater.
5) This lady wants to talk to the DM that we are not carrying her medication and always out of stock. The techs do the ordering and as a floater coming to that store after 7 days I have absolutely no idea why it wasnt ordered.
6) Confront tech about not entering correct doctors name. Get some valuable wisdom - it really doesnot matter if we put the right doctors name. It is all scanned in the system and whoever wants to change it can go ahead and do that.
7) Me no english customer - brings a walmart bottle with one refill remaining - wants to get a rx transferred from walmart. Call walmart, they said they already transferred it to target. Call the 2 targets in town - the guy has already used up all his refills - just trying to go to different pharmacies in town with an old button. Just refuses to get the idea that no refills are remaining - his walmart bottle says one refill is remaing - eats up 10 valuable minutes of my day.
8) Will think more about all these special events. Join in and add to this list............

Welcome to retail hell! That could describe a typical day for anyone of us on here. It is sad but thats how bad things have gotten. Throw in flu shots, anytime no waiting see the pharmacist for detals, and you have nailed it.

Welcome to retail hell! That could describe a typical day for anyone of us on here. It is sad but thats how bad things have gotten. Throw in flu shots, anytime no waiting see the pharmacist for detals, and you have nailed it.

Wait, CVS now advertises flu shots as "anytime no waiting"? That's pretty bad. I mean Rite Aid says the "anytime", but if someone needs to wait 5-10 mins, they wait. We also strongly urge patients to wait in the pharmacy for 20 minutes if it's their first time getting the shot, and still suggest them to wait 15-20 minutes if it's not the first time, and almost all of them listen. Of course we still have ways to circumvent the whole "waiters have to be done in 15 minutes" thing. I thought Rite Aid was supposed to be a worse chain than CVS...

OP, you at RA? That sounds right!! :laugh:

Sounds like retail is not for you.....

I would cuss at my PDM every time they put me in that store. Especially about the drunk tech. First, can you prove she was drunk? Mere heresay and speculation means nothing.

Also, might want to come in early so that the cue can be beat down some before you get the day going.

See if you can bring a good tech with you?

Come over to long term care. Worst thing that happened so far has been a nurse confronting me at 1020PM while I was making deliveries about why we didn't fill the prescriptions for one of the new admissions. I just looked her in the face and said "Anything transmitted after 9:00:00PM will not be filled. They will send up the meds tomorrow around 11AM."

Note: Pharmacy is officially closed after 9PM. Doors closed, don't answer any phones, don't fill anything transmitted after 9PM. Just get ready to pack up the orders, deliver, and then leave.

LTC!! :thumbup:

Wait, CVS now advertises flu shots as "anytime no waiting"? That's pretty bad. I mean Rite Aid says the "anytime", but if someone needs to wait 5-10 mins, they wait. We also strongly urge patients to wait in the pharmacy for 20 minutes if it's their first time getting the shot, and still suggest them to wait 15-20 minutes if it's not the first time, and almost all of them listen. Of course we still have ways to circumvent the whole "waiters have to be done in 15 minutes" thing. I thought Rite Aid was supposed to be a worse chain than CVS...

I do not work for CVS so I am not sure how they are doing flu shots. I imagine it is the same everywhere. I work for a grocery store and they have signs up every where that say "Get you flu shot anytime with no waiting." In addition to that we are supposed to get on the PA system and make announcements every 15 minutes telling people we are doing flu shots with no waiting. Hell I saw a 24 Walgreens the other day that had on thier sign out front they do flu shots 24 hours a day.

What a joke.....

My local newspaper ran a cartoon a few days ago that had flu shots available at McDonald's, the gas station, the oil change place, the ice cream shop, etc.

:laugh:

That sounds like pharmacy hell on earth. Now I know why I go above and beyond to keep my hospital job; even if I won't get a pay raise for passing the BCPS or taking on extra responsibilities, I gotta think it will help me secure my job.:scared:

I agree. That is pharmacy. You have to take the goods with the bads.

its funny, the store i staffed at was the same way: horribly run, no accountability, terrible techs, and a horrendous customer base. my transfer requests were always denied. i put up with it for 8 months, b4 i bolted as I couldnt take anymore

I think you know the answer to resign or not.

You can try to fix the situation or switch a new job. If you want to stay, like what other posters said, talk to the dm about it. Or deal with it. Its the attitude that counts.

PS. I haven't given time frames for flu shots from CVS corporate. And plus, by the time the customer fills out the consent forms, it should be enough time for the rph.

I'd start searching for and apply for other jobs... If techs are like gangs there, they can set you up with false allegations. Be careful. I know people who got into stupid trouble. You have to always look for signs they are trying to screw you over. Arggghhh retail.

Hey..what is up with retail pharmacies (wags in this case) taking a student in as free labor for x number of weeks so overtly?? It is somewhat annoying. I have never seen people so happy to see me on day one of my new rotation. I walked into an already made 40 hour/ week schedule. Dayummm!

They need me there. sad.

Hey..what is up with retail pharmacies (wags in this case) taking a student in as free labor for x number of weeks so overtly?? It is somewhat annoying. I have never seen people so happy to see me on day one of my new rotation. I walked into an already made 40 hour/ week schedule. Dayummm!

They need me there. sad.

That happened to several of my classmates. :thumbdown: One of them went in on the weekends so she could get her 120 required hours done and over with as soon as possible.