Aubrey de Gray - Why We Age and How We Can Avoid It

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muffeoniv

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYpxRXlboQ[/YOUTUBE]

What do you think? Btw he's not a crazy guy there's tons of scientific research on aging.

Would you want to live to be 200? Why or Why Not?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol I was actually talking to my gf the other day about how I want to get involved in anti-aging/life extension research

I would definitely take an extra 100 years.

BRB getting an MD, working for 50 years, then getting a PhD in Particle Physics, creating wormholes and exploring the universe for another 50 years (trollface.jpg)

Muff, you, my friend, are a rising star. You remind me of another short-lived legend named Once. Anybody remember her? Your style is different, but your aptitude for creating pointless threads is even more refined than she ever dreamed of.

I think it's an interesting subject. It's certainly not a 'checking out your own swimmers in the lab' kind of thread but that bad boy was once in a posting lifetime.

Sign me up though, of course I want to live forever.

Very interesting presentation!

No - I don't want to live till 200.

Muff, you, my friend, are a rising star. You remind me of another short-lived legend named Once. Anybody remember her? Your style is different, but your aptitude for creating pointless threads is even more refined than she ever dreamed of.

Once's style was hit once and let it fester. Muff's style is barrage.

I don't know what you guys are talking about; I'm living forever.

I do remember her. I think we can all take a lesson from Muff's characteristics and apply them to our pursuit of a medical degree. You want to pace yourself out, and not use up all of your energy doing a lot of things at once. Perseverance is the key here...

Threads merged. It isn't necessary to create a thread for every thought that comes to mind, you know. ;)

:laugh:

i'm so distracted by the beard, i can't listen to what he's saying!

Very interesting presentation!

No - I don't want to live till 200.

why the hell not? if you are 100 years old and you are happy and healthy and enjoying life and have kids and grandkids and I say to you do you want another month to live are you going to say no? then at the end of that moth you are happy and healthy and enjoying life and I ask you again are you going to say no???

Please, explain to me how discussing something that Harvard researchers have published is a pointless thread?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mods,

Can you be banned for making a whole bunch of worthless threads?

OP has 7 threads on the first page. Don't really care one way or another, but people are clearly responding so there is little incentive for him to stop creating them.

hahahahahaa I love you

I'll try and post less\better threads though... sorry I have a bad habit of posting lot's of threads on forums :laugh:

hahahahahaa I love you

I'll try and post less\better threads though... sorry I have a bad habit of posting lot's of threads on forums :laugh:

there is no try. just stop it. make your next post be about how you sustained your 105% average in all your classes for four years.

and i'm not :laugh:

To be honest, muff, he's kind of expressing what everyone else thinks of you. You may not like his bluntness but, really, you should probably get outside, have a real social life and try to avoid being "that guy" on any forums in the future....

Aw come on guys don't be so mean to him. I'm equally entertained by both his ridiculous posts AND the responses they keep getting. It's like comedy hour.

To be honest, muff, he's kind of expressing what everyone else thinks of you. You may not like his bluntness but, really, you should probably get outside, have a real social life and try to avoid being "that guy" on any forums in the future....

I should probably get outside and have a real social life to avoid being "that guy?"

I played professional soccer with some of the best players in the world.
I was a full-time writer last year making over 60g a year sitting on my ass in the virgin islands for a year after high school while you were in school.
While I was there I played poker and won 20g more...
hmm I get paid $300 a month for doing nothing for adsense revenue...
I drive a brilliant red 2009 audi a4 (see car thread lmao)
and I'd show you a pic of my girlfriend but it has her FB link in the image URL box so you'd probably stalk her :laugh::laugh::laugh:

oh and 4.0 :)

I should probably get outside and have a real social life to avoid being "that guy?"

I was a full-time writer last year making over 60g a year sitting on my ass in the virgin islands for a year after high school while you were in school.
and I'd show you a pic of my girlfriend but it has her FB link in the image URL box so you'd probably stalk her :laugh::laugh::laugh:

You also own a diamond-tip shovel.

trying-too-hard-demotivational-poster-1254189496.jpg

OP's supposed girlfriend (in case anybody was curious):

128675674862615752.jpg

IMO it's extremely selfish to want to live to 200, and I think the research is a little ridiculous.

There is no chance you have a girlfriend.

Zero.

...and this is why we have interviews. to weed out s**t like this guy. get into med school before you start talkin brah

Lawl. You'd be surprised how many people are on the bandwagon just because they think its "just like Nip/Tuck" or some bull**** like that. Lol. Yeah right.

burn your computer in a fire right now and someone please put the "obliviate" spell on him (for my hp fans) so that he forgets he ever got on SDN.

this thread..."another stupid thread just to get more posts to my name, because # of posts and legitimacy on SDN are directly related"

burn your computer in a fire right now and someone please put the "obliviate" spell on him (for my hp fans) so that he forgets he ever got on SDN.

this thread..."another stupid thread just to get more posts to my name, because # of posts and legitimacy on SDN are directly related"

Well, they probably are (imperfectly)...except when the process of getting those threads makes you the object of everyone else's wrath. In that case, your reputation is pretty much ruined and you might as well just close your account and pick up wherever you left off with your sad, pathetic excuse for a life...

Wow, you're really reaching deep there to pull threads out of thin air now.

I love TED, but after reading about this guy in GQ a few years ago: he's bonkers. Has some good points, and scientific ambition is great, but let's not forget that death is part of life and what the economic consequences would be of having 200 year olds running around.

What the hell is going on with this guy? How can anybody be so immature? Immaturity is the worst black mark anyone can have for med school. Damn grow up.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYpxRXlboQ[/YOUTUBE]

What do you think? Btw he's not a crazy guy there's tons of scientific research on aging.

Would you want to live to be 200? Why or Why Not?

I've seen this TED talk before, and I have one thing to say: This guy is a NUT. Of the FINEST kind. He only has the three coveted letters after his name to back up his wizardly ideas and "theories" and that's not saying much. His fellow colleagues think of him as an anomaly and a sort of pariah. Quite sad really. But hey, I'm all for people doing what makes them happy, as long as what they do doesn't involve slowing the progress of mankind. And he seems to be fairly benign on that front, at least so far. :laugh:

Well, they probably are (imperfectly)...except when the process of getting those threads makes you the object of everyone else's wrath. In that case, your reputation is pretty much ruined and you might as well just close your account and pick up wherever you left off with your sad, pathetic excuse for a life...

lol.... I posted a TED talk without an opinion. "pick up wherever you left off with your sad, pathetic excuse for a life?"

and you want to be a doctor? Let's say I do have a pathetic excuse for a life... are you still going to say that to me?

My brother has Angelman syndrome and is 16 years old and cannot talk or walk at all. We have to feed him and my dad and I switch off every night changing his diapers which includes his bowel movements. We have to feed him ourselves. I grew up with the dream of playing pro soccer and did, and sadly I'll never get to do that with my brother. My dad has ADHD and had prostate cancer surgery 5 times because of recurrring infections. I could go on, I have a lot to be thankful for too but I'm not going to talk about that right now.

Say I do have a pathetic life..?.... does that mean you're going to put me down? If so I don't know why you want to become a doctor... let's see how you do with a brother that can't talk or walk at all... go with him to the mall while he's moaning and making noises and everyone is staring at him and see how you like it... see how you like not being able to go on vacation with your family your entire childhood because someone has to stay with your housebound brother who cant talk or walk while your dad is unemployed and struggling against prostate cancer.

don't put down other people.

Hey now, don't get your knickers in a twist because of some douche bag on an anonymous online forum :cool:

Move on, head held high. You have much to learn, young Padawan.

lol.... I posted a TED talk without an opinion. "pick up wherever you left off with your sad, pathetic excuse for a life?"

and you want to be a doctor? Let's say I do have a pathetic excuse for a life... are you still going to say that to me?

My brother has Angelman syndrome and is 16 years old and cannot talk or walk at all. We have to feed him and my dad and I switch off every night changing his diapers which includes his bowel movements. We have to feed him ourselves. I grew up with the dream of playing pro soccer and did, and sadly I'll never get to do that with my brother. My dad has ADHD and had prostate cancer surgery 5 times because of recurrring infections. I could go on, I have a lot to be thankful for too but I'm not going to talk about that right now.

Say I do have a pathetic life..?.... does that mean you're going to put me down? If so I don't know why you want to become a doctor... let's see how you do with a brother that can't talk or walk at all... go with him to the mall while he's moaning and making noises and everyone is staring at him and see how you like it... see how you like not being able to go on vacation with your family your entire childhood because someone has to stay with your housebound brother who cant talk or walk while your dad is unemployed and struggling against prostate cancer.

don't put down other people.

Wow... talk about trying to play emotions. Honestly, I take none of what you say even remotely seriously. Sorry if any of this is true, but you seem to me to be either a troll (a fairly long-lived one if you are) or someone with a personality d/o. Your behavior reminds me of some psych patients I've had.

Wow... talk about trying to play emotions. Honestly, I take none of what you say even remotely seriously. Sorry if any of this is true, but you seem to me to be either a troll (a fairly long-lived one if you are) or someone with a personality d/o. Your behavior reminds me of some psych patients I've had.

you're really a jerk just so you know :(

i think I'm done with this forum because of people like you

all true what i said :oops:

and if I did have a personality disorder why would you be talking down to me, think that's going to help? nope.

you're really a jerk just so you know :(

i think I'm done with this forum because of people like you

all true what i said :oops:

and if I did have a personality disorder why would you be talking down to me, think that's going to help? nope.

If you had a PD and you were my pt, I'd refer you to someone qualified to help you. Online, there's really nothing to be done. I'm not really talking "down" to you; I gave you a response appropriate to your boasting about how wonderful you are when your behavior on this forum does not correspond to that. People (myself included) have repeatedly told you what you could do to reduce the backlash you keep getting but you've yet to make even the slightest noticeable attempt to rectify that. Instead, you have continued posting annoying threads that have continued to undermine your reputation here.

If you had a PD and you were my pt, I'd refer you to someone qualified to help you. Online, there's really nothing to be done. I'm not really talking "down" to you; I gave you a response appropriate to your boasting about how wonderful you are when your behavior on this forum does not correspond to that. People (myself included) have repeatedly told you what you could do to reduce the backlash you keep getting but you've yet to make even the slightest noticeable attempt to rectify that. Instead, you have continued posting annoying threads that have continued to undermine your reputation here.

going to go spend my time writing making $20 an hour instead of wasting my time on this stupid website, bye idiots

going to go spend my time writing making $20 an hour instead of wasting my time on this stupid website, bye idiots

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bTdLi0YUVM[/YOUTUBE]

Goodbye. You'll be missed... just like Once before you. Come back some time and see who's replaced you.

In the meantime: "I hope you had the time of your life."

Last edited:

I would have been doing that in the first place. not taking a cheap shot here, just sayin. I man that must have cost you like $10000 by now.

why the hell not? if you are 100 years old and you are happy and healthy and enjoying life and have kids and grandkids and I say to you do you want another month to live are you going to say no? then at the end of that moth you are happy and healthy and enjoying life and I ask you again are you going to say no???

Idk - I always thought life had meaning only because it was so short. I don't see myself being happy if I can live till 200. No matter how happy you are with your grandkids, eventually you will get bored of them, and of your wife, and of your friends, and of all things you once "loved"

I'm sure many disagree with me!!

^Wow... I wasn't going to take it that far, MCAT_Guy. Give muff some credit for...uhh... being himself.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bTdLi0YUVM[/YOUTUBE]

Goodbye. You'll be missed... just like Once before you. Come back some time and see who's replaced you.

In the meantime: "I hope you had the time of your life."

oh btw I have a 4.0 at an ivy league school :) bye!

I like your energy, now you need to learn how to not be annoying. Go outside and talk to people or something.

Good catch. I don't like his energy. He sounds like a dork.