***Official Acceptance Thread for Columbia C/O 2015***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhk5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI :D :D :D :D
i'm so happy, in case you couldn't tell :D :D

Members don't see this ad.

How did you finally find out? Was it a snail mail letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
yep in the mail. and im from new jersey :)

Got in!
Got in!
Got in!
Got in!
Got in!
Got in!
Got in!
Got in!

In norcal!!!!

Finally...but now to review....

Last edited:
I'm in New York and haven't received anything either :( Was it a big envelope or a small envelope? I wonder if they send out acceptances, waitlists and rejections at the same time...

Big white envelope and postmarked the 1st. I've been scrutinizing the c/o 2013 and 2014 acceptance threads for like the entire week and some people on the east coast got their letters between Dec. 6-10th (after some CA folks) so don't lose hope just yet!

Just called the columbia admissions office, apparently they do not all get sent out at the same time, but people in New York should receive them no later than 2-3 business days from Wednesday. :(

I just got my acceptance! I am so happy. Big white envelope, but thin, postmarked December 1.

:D Got in! :D

After expecting it to come on the 1st, as they said at my interview, it finally came! I'm sorry for those of you still waiting... the suspense is grueling. I reallyyy hope it comes tomorrow for all of you. I live in New York 45 minutes north of the city and the it came in a big white envelope. I waited at my door until the mailman came and nearly ripped it out of his hand out of nervous anticipation.

Also to answer your question, mine is postmarked December 1st.

Members don't see this ad :)
just got in!!!!! I can't even sit still right now. I'm soo excited!!!!

somebody start a facebook group, please!

Congrats JB! I told you that you were in!

I got in today. I'm actually in New York visiting, so I might stop by and visit again.

Congratz every1! Dr. Davis actually mentioned at a meeting today that the admission committee sent out 90 acceptances on Dec. 1. Feel free to message me with any questions. I look forward to meeting you guys next year!!

Dang. congrats.

Last edited:
Got the letter this morning! YAAYYY!!!

Crap! Now I have to decide between Columbia and UCSF

my letter ended up going to my parents' house instead of my school address. i thought my mom was playing some sort of cruel joke on me when she called to say i had a letter from columbia, but i'm so happy and relieved :) :)

Hey guys, where are you all located? The wait is getting too long haha

I am in Maryland, about 4 to 5 hours away from Manhattan. Stay positive! I know waiting is terrible, but hopefully you will have a wonderful surprise in your mail soon.

Another thing to add, my AADSAS status for Columbia still says, "Invited for Interview" so don't stress about it. I can't imagine it will change over the weekend. Good luck to all!

I'm officially in as well! So, when do merit awards get mailed out?? It's now Penn w/ Deans vs Columbia.

I got my acceptance through the mail on Friday! :):):) It got sent to my mom's house so she called and read it to me... so long lol I thought that it was really nice of them to write us a personal message by hand though. (I'm assuming everybody got that..?)

Congrats everyone who got in :)

Just wondering: until when do you have to make a decision? Like most schools: Dec 30th? Jan 6th?

Im trying to get an idea of when they'll notify post dec1st interviewees.

Thanks!

Congrats everyone who got in :)

Just wondering: until when do you have to make a decision? Like most schools: Dec 30th? Jan 6th?

Im trying to get an idea of when they'll notify post dec1st interviewees.

Thanks!

We have until December 31st to take action. Good luck!

YAYYYY JUST GOT IN!!

I was panicking all weekend.. but apparently my letter arrived to my PARENTS on Friday, they just didn't realize haha. Ahhh unnecessary stress, but hey, I'M IN :D :D :D :D congrats everyone!!

I'm in. I got the letter Friday. Now just to decide where to go :) Definitely the hardest decision I've ever made.

so why are you guys choosing columbia exactly? what aspects sparked your interest specifically?

so why are you guys choosing columbia exactly? what aspects sparked your interest specifically?

I'm definitely attending Columbia.

1. Medical curriculum. Boards going P/F, OMS residency programs are starting to conduct test similar to NBME tests to evaluate their applicants. Medical curriculum would be really helpful in doing well on that test.

2. Less stringent clinical requirements. More time for research, volunteer, leadership, extracurriculars.

3. P/F/H. Want to relax and go for GP? Sure, just pass the classes. Want to specialize and want to get that extra bonus on your app? Work and get H. Your choice.

4. NYC. Nearby area isn't the best, but still nonetheless NYC and quick access to Korea town!! :laugh:

5. Amazing credentials. Your patients-people outside of medical/dental fields- will appreciate this and recognize the prestige. Plus for self satisfaction :laugh:

6. Known as the "OMS factory." Straight from the mouth of my friend who is a 3rd year Penn dental student. Many peers who want to go for OMS, will pressure me to keep my motivation up.

7. Research opportunity. Always good to venture for knowledge, no?

8. Got my tuition covered so no need to worry about cost :)

9. Adequate class size, not too big like NYU, and not too small like Conn or Harvard. Just right to have balance of fun and academic attention.

Good night, and hope to see some of you next year! :luck:

I'm definitely attending Columbia.

1. Medical curriculum. Boards going P/F, OMS residency programs are starting to conduct test similar to NBME tests to evaluate their applicants. Medical curriculum would be really helpful in doing well on that test.

2. Less stringent clinical requirements. More time for research, volunteer, leadership, extracurriculars.

3. P/F/H. Want to relax and go for GP? Sure, just pass the classes. Want to specialize and want to get that extra bonus on your app? Work and get H. Your choice.

4. NYC. Nearby area isn't the best, but still nonetheless NYC and quick access to Korea town!! :laugh:

5. Amazing credentials. Your patients-people outside of medical/dental fields- will appreciate this and recognize the prestige. Plus for self satisfaction :laugh:

6. Known as the "OMS factory." Straight from the mouth of my friend who is a 3rd year Penn dental student. Many peers who want to go for OMS, will pressure me to keep my motivation up.

7. Research opportunity. Always good to venture for knowledge, no?

8. Got my tuition covered so no need to worry about cost :)

9. Adequate class size, not too big like NYU, and not too small like Conn or Harvard. Just right to have balance of fun and academic attention.

Good night, and hope to see some of you next year! :luck:

Agreed. Did you get HPSP, sfoksn (#8 on your list)? Looks like we may be classmates next year! I'm still debating some things, but Columbia is definitely the heavy favorite.

Agreed. Did you get HPSP, sfoksn (#8 on your list)? Looks like we may be classmates next year! I'm still debating some things, but Columbia is definitely the heavy favorite.

Yes, HPSP rocks. 4 years for gross profit of over a million? (assuming that you will consolidate the student loan over 15 years or higher at regular interest rate)

Also 4 years of amazing clinical exposure? Hell yes.

I hope we become classmates, buddy!

Congratulations! Good for you, man. I remember when you put your DAT breakdown up (which inspired/motivated me by the way, so thanks for that :thumbup:) and said Columbia was your top choice. I'm glad everything worked out so well.

Congratulations! Good for you, man. I remember when you put your DAT breakdown up (which inspired/motivated me by the way, so thanks for that :thumbup:) and said Columbia was your top choice. I'm glad everything worked out so well.

I am really glad, too. No need to thank me for your accomplishments :laugh: Good luck with whichever school you decide to attend!

awwww crap.. so many SDN heavyweights attending Columbia. rethinking my choice now :laugh: jk

i agree with every one of your other points except for this one. they just revamped the curriculum 2 years ago, so rest assured you will be busting your balls in preclinic your first 1.5 years before you head into clinic. We do more in our first year than many other schools (i have friends at many schools throughout the country, and based on requirements, we blow them out of the water). yes, this was not the case a few years ago.

those of who are talking about hpsp, are u guys talking about armed force based ones?
that is the only kind, no?

i agree with every one of your other points except for this one. they just revamped the curriculum 2 years ago, so rest assured you will be busting your balls in preclinic your first 1.5 years before you head into clinic. We do more in our first year than many other schools (i have friends at many schools throughout the country, and based on requirements, we blow them out of the water). yes, this was not the case a few years ago.

How has the curriculum changed exactly? What more requirements are there in preclinic? Whats more during the first year?

People doing HPSP and going to Columbia: what branch are you? I'm Army

Navy as well. Guys, if you have to take out loan in full expenditure, try to go to state school. Prestige is good but it's not worth being poor for the rest of your life :)

Last edited:
got my letter yesterday... after a weekend of thinking i had gotten passed up. popping champagne like i won a championship game hahaaaa I SAID WOOP

got my letter yesterday... after a weekend of thinking i had gotten passed up. popping champagne like i won a championship game hahaaaa I SAID WOOP

Congratulation! Do you mind telling me where you are located in Cali?