USC vs UCSF/UCSD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnookiesOwner

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need new opinions about this dilemma. HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely go to the UCSF interview. If you are CA resident, UCSF and UCSD should be your first 2 picks no matter what field you are planning on going into. USC would be a good 3rd choice (and drops to 3rd because of tuition). Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

Definitely go to the UCSF interview. If you are CA resident, UCSF and UCSD should be your first 2 picks no matter what field you are planning on going into. USC would be a good 3rd choice (and drops to 3rd because of tuition). Good luck with whatever decision you choose.

I think this is a matter of an opinion. If tuition doesn't matter to you as much then you need to see if UCSF caters to meet your needs and professional goals. UCSD doesn't cater to what I want for my professional career, so why should that be my top choice over USC?

However, I do agree that you should go to the UCSF interview if you believe that this institution caters to meet your professional goals. Good luck with your decision!

I think you should do some research on each school. That will help you make a more informed decision.

Members don't see this ad :)

what is your reasoning behind this?

Assuming you have no friends/family/location preference, then go for UCSF! DUH! It's #1..numero uno..kapish? ya feel me? ya smell me?!!:beat::diebanana::boom:

Assuming you have no friends/family/location preference, then go for UCSF! DUH! It's #1..numero uno..kapish? ya feel me?

going to a UCSF info session last april they emphasized: "UCSF might be the #1 ranked Pharmacy School in the nation, BUT it might not be #1 for you."

you definitely have to make sure you pick the college that fits you best.

going to a UCSF info session last april they emphasized: "UCSF might be the #1 ranked Pharmacy School in the nation, BUT it might not be #1 for you."

you definitely have to make sure you pick the college that fits you best.

After a few days of serious thinking as well as consulting with friends and pharmacists I decided against going to the UCSF interview. I think my heart belongs to SoCal and I need to be near family (I will be a first time auntie in a few months). You're right, I need to see what the #1 school is FOR ME. Thanks for all the advice and good luck to everyone!:)

Honestly, I would advise against declining the interview. You've been invited to be a part of a very select community. How sure are you that you wouldn't change your mind if the program woo'd your socks off? Just like the lottery, you gotta be in it to win it...

I'd go, just in case.

I think this is a matter of an opinion. If tuition doesn't matter to you as much then you need to see if UCSF caters to meet your needs and professional goals. UCSD doesn't cater to what I want for my professional career, so why should that be my top choice over USC?

However, I do agree that you should go to the UCSF interview if you believe that this institution caters to meet your professional goals. Good luck with your decision!

I think you should do some research on each school. That will help you make a more informed decision.

Just curious --> how does UCSD not cater to your professional career? What is it that you are looking for?

Honestly, I would advise against declining the interview. You've been invited to be a part of a very select community. How sure are you that you wouldn't change your mind if the program woo'd your socks off? Just like the lottery, you gotta be in it to win it...

I'd go, just in case.

It's been a very agonizing decision because UCSF has been in my top 3 since I started applying. However, I have been to their (8 hour long) information session and have been to the campus for an undergrad recruitment day that included a tour of the facilities as well as mingling with students so I probably already experienced the "wooing" part. However, the city itself didn't woo my socks off. :( I think that played a major factor in the decision.

Heck yes you should go. What do you have to lose? You already got into USC.

Just curious --> how does UCSD not cater to your professional career? What is it that you are looking for?

From my research of UCSD, the curriculum emphasizes more on clinical pharmacy rather than retail, which is not what I am looking for. In my previous post, I wasn't trying to bash UCSD or anything like that. It's a great school so I hope no one took offense to what I said. I'm sure that graduates of UCSD go into retail as well but I just don't feel, in my opinion, that this school has what I am looking for, since it is more research intensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually had my heart pretty set on Southern California schools, but when I went to UCSF for the interview that's when it became tied for my #1 choice. I can't pinpoint the feeling as to exactly why, but interview day really "woo-ed" me, and I've been to their information sessions. I thought the questions they asked me during my interview were excellent. They made me reflect on aspects of pharmacy and myself that I hadn't thought about before, and included questions I know will come up later on in my professional experience. It was nice having a 3rd year pharmacy school student and CPCS pharmacist with extensive experience delve into your file for a week, and ask me questions they were really curious about for my file. So if anything, I thought the interview day experience itself was pretty valuable. But I also don't blame you for saving the travel money and time to stay in SoCal, because the programs here are excellent too :)

Thanks zztech :)

Good luck on UCSF!
2 things I did on my lunch hour and after work:
-I faxed my UCSF withdrawal letter - painful! (but gotta do it)
-mailed my $500 buckaroonies so I can save myself a Trojan seat

:soexcited:

If you don't choose to go to USC, you can always give the spot to me :D

For me personally, I found USC to be overpriced and oversnobby...

UCSF all the way-they have the best professors in the world doing amazing things, and everyone is really down to earth. :thumbup:

It depends on what you want to do.

Dual degree? Research?

At UCSD, you take classes with medical students and do cadaver labs. I personally didn't see the practicality in this especially since pharmacists are not able to do as much as physicians in today's medical environment.

I attend USC, so I am biased. I admit UCSF probably has a stronger clinical program than USC, but I personally would not have been happy at UCSF since my focus is on managed care and industry. I am doing a PharmD/MS Reg Sci dual degree and have made contacts with a lot of alumni at various pharmaceutical companies/managed care positions. I have friends that are doing the PharmD/MBA, and they love that. From my understanding, UCSD is starting up a PharmD/MBA program (something to keep in mind)

Do your own research into the schools and talk to the current students. Otherwise, you are blindly walking into the next 4 years of your life.

I attend USC, so I am biased. I admit UCSF probably has a stronger clinical program than USC, but I personally would not have been happy at UCSF since my focus is on managed care and industry. I am doing a PharmD/MS Reg Sci dual degree and have made contacts with a lot of alumni at various pharmaceutical companies/managed care positions. I have friends that are doing the PharmD/MBA, and they love that. From my understanding, UCSD is starting up a PharmD/MBA program (something to keep in mind)

Do your own research into the schools and talk to the current students. Otherwise, you are blindly walking into the next 4 years of your life.

Weren't you on the waitlist for both USC and UCSF? And you got called off the waitlist for USC?

Weren't you on the waitlist for both USC and UCSF? And you got called off the waitlist for USC?

I never said I was accepted to UCSF/UCSD. I am stating that I am glad based on my interests/career goals that I got into yes like you mentioned only USC. If you have a choice, talk to the people that go to the schools to figure out where you want to go. If you can find someone who is in a field that you want to pursue (and can provide honest feedback) from that school, even better. I am basing my response on what I have observed/heard from preceptors.

For me personally, I found USC to be overpriced and oversnobby...

UCSF all the way-they have the best professors in the world doing amazing things, and everyone is really down to earth. :thumbup:

What she said.....wait aren't we classmates?

I got into UCSD and USC and having a dilemma about what to do. UCSF is my #1 choice, but i need to pay my USC deposit soon.

1. I was wondering if anyone knew how active UCSD clubs are. I know USC has an active student body, and that is something i am looking for.

2. I also got the feeling that USC students have more down time, so more time to get involved in other activities. And in UCSD the curriculum is so intensive that studying takes over most of your time. ---> is this true?

3. USC is in a ghetto area, so most of the students live 10-20 mins away. And there is nothing around campus. How do you USC students like that? (UCSD location is beautiful, however USC is in LA, so there is always things to do)

It depends on what you want to do.

How do you like living in USC area? The area around the school isn't that great, so i know most students live further away. Is it a hassle driving around?

If you dont mind answering this...how much do you pay for rent?

I got into UCSD and USC and having a dilemma about what to do. UCSF is my #1 choice, but i need to pay my USC deposit soon.

1. I was wondering if anyone knew how active UCSD clubs are. I know USC has an active student body, and that is something i am looking for.

2. I also got the feeling that USC students have more down time, so more time to get involved in other activities. And in UCSD the curriculum is so intensive that studying takes over most of your time. ---> is this true?

3. USC is in a ghetto area, so most of the students live 10-20 mins away. And there is nothing around campus. How do you USC students like that? (UCSD location is beautiful, however USC is in LA, so there is always things to do)

Haha it's not THAT ghetto. It's not like the area around main campus. I've taken the city bus around the USC HSC area and didn't feel like it was sketchy.

What kinds of things are you looking for around the campus?

Haha it's not THAT ghetto. It's not like the area around main campus. I've taken the city bus around the USC HSC area and didn't feel like it was sketchy.

What kinds of things are you looking for around the campus?

Just looking for things to do, a lively campus. (I liked that abt ucsd)

I know I wont have much down time, but when i do, being in a fun neighborhood makes a difference. The school is in LA, so there is always things to do, but people are always complaining about the traffic.

(about how much is rent in the area where most student live?)

Just looking for things to do, a lively campus. (I liked that abt ucsd)

I know I wont have much down time, but when i do, being in a fun neighborhood makes a difference. The school is in LA, so there is always things to do, but people are always complaining about the traffic.

(about how much is rent in the area where most student live?)

I was born & raised in SD and did my undergrad in LA. I've been to the USC HSC a few times and in my opinion, it's not the kinda place i'd want to be kickin it after dark. I have a friend who is finishing up at SC's Keck School of Med and she doesn't really stay around the area very much. She also made the pharmacy student body seems to be pretty active b/c they always seem to be "bothering her" with interprofessional competitions (philanthropic and otherwise) which i thought was funny but cool. i think going to school in a "sketch" neighborhood isn't too bad when think about how you'll be spending your time either on the HSC or "rubbing elbows with LC at Le Deux in Hollywood" or however you wanna spend your time. As far as places to live, students seem to live all over the city: Los Feliz, Venice, Pasedena. just have to account for driving time to campus.

As for UCSD, i haven't heard much about their pharmacy school BUT an enduring theme i get from their student population is that they should be called "UC Socially Dead". I personally love SD (much more than LA). There's a lot of cool niches around the city (even the Gaslamp, if you avoid the douches at night). And living in La Jolla, while pricey, awesome and it's a nice place to spend your down time. And how awesome is it knowing that you have the option to WALK to La Jolla Shores and go surfing or kayaking or underwater basket weaving (which believe it or not is a real UCSD class).

that's just my 2 cents about the 2 cities in general....

The last paragraph just sums it up for me all, ahhhh the awesome SD ! The beautiful gorgeous SD, oh how I love you ! Just imagine this is the winter you will experience in SD (compare to the horrible and brutal SF winter):

Are these in La Jolla or in the main City? Are you a pharmacy student at UCSD? How do you like it? Do you have a social life or any down time?

some non-academic reasons why to attend pharmacy school in "america's finest city" AKA San Diego

http://goo.gl/Jd8Yh

(FYI this isn't a virus...only saying that b/c i'm an overly suspicious persons hah)

p/f = pass/ fail haha

Question about p/f at UCSD: What percentage do you need for Pass? for Honors?

I am now officially accepted at UCSD. And more confused. It's like can I split my time between the two? Whew. I feel really blessed but wow...Deciding is really hard. Thanks for everyone's input. :)

Last edited: