Thieme Atlas of Anatomy (vs Netters)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted here in a long, long time but I thought this might be helpful.

I used Netter, Big Moore and Gray's (Drake) text for MS I. I was ok but not overwhelmed with Netters. For Neuro, an upperclassperson recommended Thieme Head and Neuroanatomy to me in response to my whining about the Haines Atlas.

I found the Thieme neuro atlas to be very good so this year while prepping for the boards I bought the Thieme Atlas of Anatomy (Gilroy). It's so absurdly good, it's on a completely different level than Netter at about the same price. I just wish I had it last year.

Anyway, I thought it worth posting for incoming students. No financial interest, etc, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll second this. We had some shared copies in the bone room, and it was amazing - it would've been totally worth the money if I had bought it at the beginning of the semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to agree, Gilroy + Rohen = Awesome. Though I still hear lots of people using Netters, its just not for me.

+1 for Thieme + Rohen's.

Thieme has better images, and does a better job of breaking down each system (e.g. vascular, nervous, muscle, etc.) in each area of the body, while netter's throws it all at you at once.

+1 for Rohen's. Was nice to have a "real" picture of a dissection.

Pretty much all of my classmates have Netter's, but a couple have Rohen (cool for dissections) and even Thieme (learnatlas i think, atlas+text). But for me... Sobotta takes the crown... It's a huge MOFO, but it is the best atlas out there. For text, I just use Moore's and couldn't be happier... Love me some of those blue clinical cases.

Gilroy (Thieme) is sexy. Apparently they have a new iPhone flashcard app too, but I haven't checked it out.

Gilroy is awesome. I inherited a Netter's but didn't like it. I found it too artistic, too crowded, and just not real enough.

Gilroy was the best atlas I used and the charts are great.

Also a MAJOR fan of the Thieme- wish I'd gotten it sooner.

As an aside- you can get a free Thieme atlas when you become an AMSA member- so that might be worth considering! Pay your dues (which are good for 4 years), and you get an Atlas.

My favorite book by far...will have to check out the Neuro version.

I have a question for you guys. I have the "Atlas of Anatomy" but I see they are selling several separate volumes like head, etc. separately. What's the difference? Are those more detailed or something, or is the new Atlas just a compiled version?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question for you guys. I have the "Atlas of Anatomy" but I see they are selling several separate volumes like head, etc. separately. What's the difference? Are those more detailed or something, or is the new Atlas just a compiled version?

the ones like that i have are the flexibooks. they are small, based on just one subject (i.e. locomotor system). they are quite useful for reviewing, but not a real atlas per se.

Thieme is amazing. I only found out about it after MS1 but wished I'd seen it before. I really think that we as a whole use Netter because that's what the class before used, and the class before used, etc. etc. It's definitely not a merit-based decision. Otherwise, we would all use Thieme. Check it out on Amazon if you're deciding which to use. The look inside feature is nice. Use "Surprise me!" to see more plates.

Thieme on Amazon

asdf

Last edited:
i liked netters just because its part of med-school tradition
Unfortunately tradition doesn't get you points on exams or help you understand anatomy. Why not use Gray's Anatomy then if you're interested in tradition? It's also free on Wikipedia.

I think I was the only one in my class that used Thieme, and I loved it...

I wasn't aware that they made a neuro atlas. I might have to check it out for Step 1 review. Thanks.

I wasn't aware that they made a neuro atlas. I might have to check it out for Step 1 review. Thanks.
I wouldn't waste your money on a neuro atlas for Step 1 review. That would be very low yield.

I think I was the only one in my class that used Thieme, and I loved it...

Thieme was spectacular for me; there was a small group of us in my class who used it. I thought it was far clearer, and more concise. Also, the pictures are prettier, if you like that sort of thing.

The neuro atlas is GREAT for some things, somewhat meh for others. I credit it with helping me get all the pathways down, but YMMV.

Thieme/Gilray has excellent diagrams for vasculature that I would be lost without. So good!

And while we're at it, +1 for Rohen/Yokochi, too.:)

Gilroy (Thieme) is sexy. Apparently they have a new iPhone flashcard app too, but I haven't checked it out.

This makes me laugh! Gilroy is one of our anatomy profs here...she does know her ****, but I'm not sure I would call her sexy... I do love when she comes to the table during lab and basically does the whole dissection for you in under 5 mins if you're struggling :)

Anyways, atlas rocks.

I'm actually a big netter fan, having used it, roehn and thieme at different points throughout the semester (shared copies in lab). I think the way netter's is drawn helps me understand relationships better than the other two

asdf

Last edited:
First post! Hope this post doesn't fall under "thread necromancy", I can tell threads move fast here.

Anyway, ladies and gents, I'm the new community guy at Thieme. I was hunting around the net for discussion about our books and was psyched to find a lot of love in this thread :D . I also saw a few questions/interesting comments, so I wanted to jump in and talk to you guys.

The first one. Those other Atlases go into deeper detail on the specific regions. There's Head and Neuro, General and Musculoskeletal, and Neck and Internal Organs, and there's a whole bunch of "mini-Atlases" on sectional anatomy too.

They finally let me near an iPhone to try this out, haha. I have to say, they're pretty nifty. Gotta love modern technology.

As an aside- you can get a free Thieme atlas when you become an AMSA member- so that might be worth considering! Pay your dues (which are good for 4 years), and you get an Atlas.

It looks like they switched this up a bit. From what I can tell, an AMSA Membership gets you 40% off the Gilroy Atlas, highest-level access to WinkingSkull (our online student review platform), and, when it comes out, a free copy of Illustrated Review - Anatomy, which is a study guide with about 200 review questions and 200 more online, and a lot of tables, sidebars, bullet-point lists, etc. A "to-the-point" kind of format for review purposes.

Anyway, hope I answered some questions about our books. If you guys have any more, or any suggestions or comments, feel free to post here and I'll get back to you ASAP.

I found Netter's overrated. I liked Grant's better when it came to cartoon illustrations. Netter's flash cards were helpful though.

Netter's flash cards + Rohen's atlas is all you need.

Rohen is the best IMO. You can't substitute for real photographs. If you have more time for studying, watch Acland's DVDs too. Those are great.

I found Netter's overrated. I liked Grant's better when it came to cartoon illustrations. Netter's flash cards were helpful though.

Netter's flash cards + Rohen's atlas is all you need.

Rohen is the best IMO. You can't substitute for real photographs. If you have more time for studying, watch Acland's DVDs too. Those are great.
You obviously haven't seen a Thieme atlas yet. Flip through one. It's the best. I also really like the old school Clemente but you have to get it used and they're hard to find now.

You obviously haven't seen a Thieme atlas yet. Flip through one. It's the best. I also really like the old school Clemente but you have to get it used and they're hard to find now.

Thanks for the props, Guile. Is that a reference to the Sonic Boom/Flash Kick Guile?

Also, those of you who have the Gilroy...is there anything in it you think Thieme could have done better, any omissions or formatting problems, stuff like that? It's due for a second edition sometime in the future, so take this opportunity to request a feature if you want, or just speak your mind.

First post! Hope this post doesn't fall under "thread necromancy", I can tell threads move fast here.

Anyway, ladies and gents, I'm the new community guy at Thieme. I was hunting around the net for discussion about our books and was psyched to find a lot of love in this thread :D . I also saw a few questions/interesting comments, so I wanted to jump in and talk to you guys.

The first one. Those other Atlases go into deeper detail on the specific regions. There's Head and Neuro, General and Musculoskeletal, and Neck and Internal Organs, and there's a whole bunch of "mini-Atlases" on sectional anatomy too.

They finally let me near an iPhone to try this out, haha. I have to say, they're pretty nifty. Gotta love modern technology.

It looks like they switched this up a bit. From what I can tell, an AMSA Membership gets you 40% off the Gilroy Atlas, highest-level access to WinkingSkull (our online student review platform), and, when it comes out, a free copy of Illustrated Review - Anatomy, which is a study guide with about 200 review questions and 200 more online, and a lot of tables, sidebars, bullet-point lists, etc. A "to-the-point" kind of format for review purposes.

Anyway, hope I answered some questions about our books. If you guys have any more, or any suggestions or comments, feel free to post here and I'll get back to you ASAP.

This is pretty cool and I just joined. Thank you.

I found Thieme very helpful; the pictures were so clear and it was easier to learn from than Netter's

Also, those of you who have the Gilroy...is there anything in it you think Thieme could have done better, any omissions or formatting problems, stuff like that? It's due for a second edition sometime in the future, so take this opportunity to request a feature if you want, or just speak your mind.

The one thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Gilroy needs a skull foramina page in the main atlas. Netter's has one and I really think Gilroy could benefit from one. I don't recall seeing one in Gilroy unless I just missed it.

Maybe like a full page layout with views from the superior and from the inferior.

EDIT to Add: Also, since Gilroy is pretty good with charts, it would be helpful if not only foramina, but also what a chart or labeled right along with it what goes through each foramina.

The one thing I can think of off the top of my head is that Gilroy needs a skull foramina page in the main atlas. Netter's has one and I really think Gilroy could benefit from one. I don't recall seeing one in Gilroy unless I just missed it.

Maybe like a full page layout with views from the superior and from the inferior.

EDIT to Add: Also, since Gilroy is pretty good with charts, it would be helpful if not only foramina, but also what a chart or labeled right along with it what goes through each foramina.

Thanks for the heads up, Dr McSexy. I'll keep a running list of this stuff that I can send over to the editors in time for the second edition. Who knows, maybe you'll see "Dr McSexy" in the credits of the next book :D

Anyone else think the Thieme Atlases are missing something?

Thanks for the heads up, Dr McSexy. I'll keep a running list of this stuff that I can send over to the editors in time for the second edition. Who knows, maybe you'll see "Dr McSexy" in the credits of the next book :D

Anyone else think the Thieme Atlases are missing something?

One thing I really liked about thieme was how it broke everything down by system (vascular, muscle, etc.), which made it much easier to learn then netter's, which just threw everything at you at once.

I do wish, however that there were some pages that did throw everything at you, just so you could test yourself after you learned the material by section. I used netter's and rohen's for this after learning the anatomy with Thieme. It won't replace rohen's (its a lot better testing yourself without red arteries, blue veins, yellow nerves,and green lymphatics), but would have made checking out a copy of netter's unnecessary.

I'll reiterate what some others have said with my 2 cents:

Thieme really does look great at the beginning of your studies and allows you to find whatever structure you're looking for very quickly, which is why I actually used it during lab (we had them for free too). However, anatomy is all about relationships, and a picture of vasculature with no associated structures around it won't help you remember anything. It will take you longer to find things in Netter's because there are so many structures on each page, but, each time you look it up, you will remember "O yea, this nerve always goes over this vessel." or something like that. Try out some practice questions and then look back at the Netter's illustrations, you will be surprised at how much thought went into deciding what is actually pictured on each page. Next, why do you want an illustration to look like the exact real thing? I either want to look at Rohens for real cadavers, or at the idealized Netter's Illustrations. Finally, Grant's definitely has THE BEST cartoons. I didn't understand pelvic anatomy until I looked at Grants for medical students. And while this might seem like a Thieme hating rant, I absolutely love their regional anatomy textbooks, but you just don't need them for medical school anatomy.

I do wish, however that there were some pages that did throw everything at you, just so you could test yourself after you learned the material by section. I used netter's and rohen's for this after learning the anatomy with Thieme. It won't replace rohen's (its a lot better testing yourself without red arteries, blue veins, yellow nerves,and green lymphatics), but would have made checking out a copy of netter's unnecessary.

Thanks DoctwoB, good to know - testing is probably a bit more rewarding without color-coded cues. Maybe I'll advise our editing staff to include another page where students can test on a more realistically colored figure.

just waiting said:
However, anatomy is all about relationships, and a picture of vasculature with no associated structures around it won't help you remember anything. It will take you longer to find things in Netter's because there are so many structures on each page, but, each time you look it up, you will remember "O yea, this nerve always goes over this vessel." or something like that.

This is a good observation as well...I know our artists have historically focused on super-detailed illustrations of areas, and the Atlases are obviously organized pretty closely by region, but "zooming out" for a big picture every once in a while would be useful too.

Thanks for the input, guys, it's great to see that people care about their medical resources so much and are willing to take some time to give feedback. Anyone with more input can feel free to PM me, post in this thread, or hunt me down through our Facebook or Twitter. Thanks again :thumbup:

Since you guys have been great, I'll drop some secret intel...the AMSA Membership benefits I mentioned earlier? They'll wind up being a little different than what I described, and a sweet little bonus is in the works. That's pretty much all I can say though :cool:

Thieme is great, probably the best book out there. I still think Netters has its place, and is necessary, but for home study Thieme is by far the best.

Since you guys have been great, I'll drop some secret intel...the AMSA Membership benefits I mentioned earlier? They'll wind up being a little different than what I described, and a sweet little bonus is in the works. That's pretty much all I can say though :cool:
That's just unfortunate timing for me then since I bought it through AMSA about a week ago.

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree. Netter's is better than Thieme. While Thieme is more beautiful, Netter's really, really, really emphasizes relationships because of how he exaggerated certain structures. It will take me half as long to "understand" a plate in Netter's vs Thieme.

Thieme sure is prettier though.

Netter is fine , but Sobotta has a lot more details and info... For better understanding and visualisation Primal Pictures 3D atlases are the best!

Oh, don't worry about that, you'll still have access to it when it comes around...

I'm on the fence of buying a Thieme atlas too and I desperately need it for anatomy asap... can you just PM me when this "bonus" or savings would be expected, I need to know whether to order now or wait til a little bit later, but I do need the atlas now.

Thanks

You guys know you can use all of them, right?

Oldschool Gray's: Definitely shows you more human variations in vein structures and such compared to the modern ones. My Anatomy professor in college swore by it, but nobody uses it now.

Gray's for Students: Not really for atlas purposes, it repeats the lecture and points out fine details. The pictures are nice I suppose, but it's too freaking big to carry around.

Netter's: Artistic, clear. Tells you how things should be. Kinda big, but well-organized. Comes with flashcards...

Rohen's: The best photographic dissection atlas I've seen. Tells you how cadavers should look.

McMinn's: "Clinical" with like 20 pages of anatomic pathologies and radiographs. Has different cadavers from Rohen's, which is nice. Also, it's the smallest/lightest of them.

I have all of them but I will definitely consider Thieme's for Neuro.

I'm on the fence of buying a Thieme atlas too and I desperately need it for anatomy asap... can you just PM me when this "bonus" or savings would be expected, I need to know whether to order now or wait til a little bit later, but I do need the atlas now.

Thanks

Alright, I guess I'll let this drop here a little early, since it seems like there are a few Thieme fans as well as people looking to make a decision...Originally, the deal with AMSA meant you were going to get an Illustrated Review Series book, but this would have been waaay down the road. As in, probably after your anatomy class was over :lame: .We decided to switch it up and instead give all new members a free pack of Anatomy Flash Cards. Considering how well the cards match up with the Atlas, plus the 40% off the Atlas itself, it winds up being a pretty nice package. If you haven't signed up for AMSA yet, I highly recommend it! They'll get you all the codes and stuff necessary to get your deals.

I wanted to resurrect this thread to reiterate what a pleasure it is to learn from this atlas. The atlas is organized in such an intuitive way with just enough text and to top it off, absolutely gorgeous pictures. I've learned magnitudes times more with this atlas in less time than trying to learn from my teachers. Simply amazing.

I wanted to resurrect this thread to reiterate what a pleasure it is to learn from this atlas. The atlas is organized in such an intuitive way with just enough text and to top it off, absolutely gorgeous pictures. I've learned magnitudes times more with this atlas in less time than trying to learn from my teachers. Simply amazing.

Oh man...well, I want to resurrect the thread again to say "Thank you" for that :D. It's been a while...did anyone here check out the AMSA offer?

Also...just a heads up...in case you're looking to stock up for the new year, check out the front page of Thieme.com. Our Holiday Sale is up and running - 20% off everything. This brings a lot of our student resources, like the Illustrated Review series, down to pretty low prices...take a look if you're in the market for some textbooks!

-Nick at Thieme