Coming This Fall *OFFICIAL NBDE Part 1 Scores Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yah-E

Toof Sniper
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences:
Biochemistry/Physiology:
Microbiology/Pathology:
Dental Anatomy:

Overall Average:

Cumulative Study Hours:
Recommended Studying Materials:
Most Difficult Section:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

Your future contribution is much appreciated. Stay tuned!

[NOTE: this is NOT a discussion thread, this thread is aimed to be a reference thread. If you have questions for a particular poster, then please direct your question directly to that person via PM or start another thread of your own. PLEASE refrain from discussions, questions, and comments in this thread. Much appreciated!]

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys.....I don't post here often, but I just wanted to let you guys know.

I didn't get my scores in the mail, but my school got the scores ahead of time. The highest in my class was a 97......and I would say A LOT of people broke 90 percentile......at least 30 or so out of 135 or so that took the test.....because I personally know at least 12 people that broke 94.....ANyhow, here's my break down

Gross anat: 97
Phys/BIochem: 95
Micro/path: 93
Dent anat: 96

Avg: 95

I did much better than I thought, so I am pretty happy. Hope everyone else is happy with their scores!!

Oh and the other info

Cumulative Study Hours: 6 months total, but 3 months of hardcore studying

Recommended Studying Materials: First Aid to USMLE step I (I memorized this book by looking it over 3 times), Isselhart and Brand Orofacial structures (read the book onece thru), Dental Decks (went over 4 times and memorized everything), Microbiology made ridiculously simple (I memorized the chapter summary of each chapter which was no easy task), Kaplan books for reference, old questions, and MOST IMPORTANTLY good study partners
Most Difficult Section: Dental Anat, but the curve must have been huge by my 96.......I was expecting a below 90 score
Study DOs: Do discuss and quiz your study buddies every minute you get......
Study DON'Ts: Don't get caught up trying to learn every little detail by reading every single text book...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi !
My best wishes for you in all aspects of your life.
I need your cooperation: want to take a look to only one sample of recent released exams NBDE1 ;could you send be mail.e-mail or fax to me? I do compensate .

sweet numbers, yellowman. thanks for sharing. :)

Anatomical Sciences: 92
Biochemistry/Physiology: 89
Microbiology/Pathology: 89
Dental Anatomy: 88

Overall Average: 90

Cumulative Study Hours: [1.5 months] first 4 weeks (8 hours/day), last 2 weeks (12 hours/day) = 392 total hours
Recommended Studying Materials: Dental Decks, USMLE First Aid, ASDA released exams, Netter Anatomy textbook, Pathology BRS, Physiology (Costanza), Biochemistry (lippincott's)
Most Difficult Section: Dental Anatomy
Study DOs:
1) read every word on the Dental Decks (front and back)
2) read Dental Decks at least 3Xs thoroughly
3) if you don't understand something, look it up in reference books
4) use USMLE First Aid Step 1 book
5) do old ASDA released exams
6) study at least 8 hours a day, EVERYDAY
7) have a studying schedule
8) do spend some time studying occlusion
9) DO use study partners...I find this very helpful (just one or two at most), you tend to remember topics that you quiz one another on

Study DON'Ts:
1) don't spend too much time on Kaplan NBDE Part 1 book, only use it as reference
2) don't spend less time on Dental Anatomy specifically on the Occlusion topics

Overall experience, I am SO happy that I acheived what I was aiming for which is a 90 overall! I got it!! :clap:

Of course I wouldn't mind a higher score, but I am SO VERY happy with my 90 overall!!! If you have any questions for me, please don't post them in this thread, post them in my NBDE Part 1 Study Log thread.

I'm now officially done with Part 1!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

congratulations, yah-e! and thanks for the really helpful thread (ur study log).

i hope everyone posts their scores here with their advice.

all the best to the rest of u - hope u all get great scores!!

i'm not sure if i should post in here because my study habits are not what others should emulate. :oops:

Anatomical Sciences: 86
Biochemistry/Physiology: 93
Microbiology/Pathology: 93
Dental Anatomy: 92

Overall Average: 91

Cumulative Study Hours: 2 weeks (1 week hardcore, 1 week half-assed)
Recommended Studying Materials: The ones listed above
Most Difficult Section: Hmmm. Anatomy? :rolleyes:
Study DOs: Don't follow my study habits

Anatomical Sciences:98
Biochemistry/Physiology:96
Microbiology/Pathology:97
Dental Anatomy:99

Overall Average:98 ( i got lucky cuz it's technically 97.5....:D)

Cumulative Study Hours:3 months hardcore and 1 month half-assed. I averaged about 4-5 hours a night on school nights and 8-12 hours a day during weekends. On the 2 weeks break that we had before the boards, I averaged 12 hours a day.

1. Netter (make sure you can visualize each structure)
2. this small red pathology book.....sorry, too lazy to look for the book and the author
3. Dental Decks......3X and almost everything word for word, Micro made ridiculously simple (mainly used it as a reference if i didnt understand the explanations in the decks)
4.some Dental anatomy book
5. I only used the USMLE about 4-5 times to look at the various biochem pathways.....even that was an overkill......kinda pointless IMHO
6. looked at ALL the old exams once

Most Difficult Section: I thought I got rocked the most on dental anatomy. I came out thinking I got below 90 on it cuz by #70 or so, I was getting a massive headache and couldnt really concentrate on mandibular vs maxillary or primary dentition vs permanent dentition.

Study DOs:
1. Draw diagrams and flow charts.
2. I spent about 1.5 weeks per section before switching to the next section.
3. During the 2nd half of the test, try to do dental anatomy first because it requires the most concentration.
4. Try to have study partners......they were key in that we quizzed each other obscure BUT important facts.....some of them actually saved my ass during the lunch break before the microbiology and dental anatomy section.
5. Double and Triple check during the test. (i must have caught close to 2-3 questions per section)

(i'm actually quite a slow reader.......so things would have definitely been a lot better if i could learn to read and comprehend faster)

Study DON'Ts:
1. Dont get caught up in reading the USMLE book......it's too detailed for this test and it really prepares you for the medical boards, not dental boards.
2. Dont study alone cuz you need motivation to get through this ordeal.....my 2 study partners definitely helped through my studies.
3. DONT read class syllabus.........not at all relevant to the boards....at least the ones at my school.

Needless to say I was definitely ****ting in my pants when I found out about my scores. :D I hadn't done better than 94 or 95 average on the practice exams, so I was very pleasantly suprised.

Doggie,

how did you find time to study during the regular school yr? I guess my class got lucky since most of us will have 6 weeks to study for it...
do you mind sharing your notes w/ the sdos class of 06? (if you still have them...)

congrats again :)

I think the pathology book you're talking about is Board Review Series by Schneider and Szanto

hi friends,,

i m posting here 1st time ,but i found that yah-e has made a good thread so all of us should go with that & share our scores ....here is my score for nbde-1..

Anatomical Sciences:90
Biochemistry/Physiology:85
Microbiology/Pathology:91
Dental Anatomy:97

Overall Average:91

Cumulative Study Hours:not strictly followed specific time table...but on avarage 5 hrs /day.(sunday off)

Recommended Studying Materials:hungover:antal dacks,released examinations,kaplan's notes.

Most Difficult Section:biochemistry...i hate it:mad: (even my score show that :) )

Study DOs:
-i think if u go with dacks & try to understand each & every line of it u wont have any problem.

-if u find any difficulty while preparing with papers try to get answer for that either from ur text boks or on internet.

-kaplan note is also helpful as a review material.

Study DON'Ts:
-don't follo anybody blindly.
everyone has different ability & different style so better decide
on ur own way.

i think thats what i did,,,,,i m glad that i got my result......after waiting so long:clap: & i m happy with my score.i aimed above 90% & i got it:clap: :clap: :clap:

Why did you guys use the USMLE study aid?

Is the USMLE similar to the NBDE or something?

Doesn't the USMLE cover some topics that you don't need to know for NBDE?

Thanks

Originally posted by Jone

Thanks

Jone, to answer your question, Doggie already posted:

"Dont get caught up in reading the USMLE book......it's too detailed for this test and it really prepares you for the medical boards, not dental boards."

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Jone

Thanks

The USMLE First-Aid book has good diagrams, easy mnemonics and a reader friendly format to study, so it's more comfortable to use.

Not the USMLE is nothing like NBDE part 1.

We only use the USMLE topics that interest us, we just skip the rest.

yes i know him through mutual friends. i hear that he did pretty well on the boards for having not studied much (as did i!).

MarkyMark~
what bout ray and jeff?

Dayum Doggie! You da man dawg....98 avg. I was happy with my 95, but I can only imagine how happy you are..congrats. What specialty are you looking into? OS I presume? or Ortho?

And one more question to you guys? What was the highest board score in your class? At USC, we had three 97s as the highest score....

yellow

Originally posted by StarGirl
MarkyMark~
what bout ray and jeff?
there are two jeff's that i know of in my class so i'm not sure which one you are talking about. as for ray, i don't think i know him.

Originally posted by SDN9876
Priti, Markymark, and Doggie where are you all from. I'm just curious to see how people form other schools do.

hi i m an internationlly trained dentist.so yet to get in to school:)
hope will get in good school.
priti.

Here is my story and scores:

My goal was 90 just because it seems to be "the number". I only had 2 weeks to study after our classes ended. Our first two years are almost totally with medicine and in PBL so we hadn't even done occlusion yet. Also I'm in Canada so none of the school is specifically geared towards the US boards. We only have boards at the end of 4 years. All I can say is that studying more can make a difference but I don't think anyone needs to study more than 3 or 4 weeks. Classmates of mine studyed less, one studyied about 8 days ~3hrs a day and got 88avg. Another studyed for 2 days ~5hrs a day and got an 83avg. Highest in our class was 93avg but only 15-20 people wrote the exam since we are not required to do so.

My Scores:

Anatomical Sciences: 92
Biochemistry/Physiology: 91
Microbiology/Pathology: 90
Dental Anatomy: 91

Overall Average: 91

Cumulative Study Hours: 12 days(didn't study my first weekend off and used two days for golf), 5hrs/day = 60hrs
Recommended Studying Materials: Decks and old exams, used First Aid for USMLE a little
Most Difficult Section: Dental Anatomy
Study DOs: read decks, do old exams
Study DON'Ts:memorize decks, use class notes or read textbooks

Congrats to those who really rocked it. I wish I'd had one more week to study but I'm super happy with my score anyway.

markymark :)
it's okie i am sure they did well :) that's all i wanted to know :)

Originally posted by StarGirl
markymark :)
it's okie i am sure they did well :) that's all i wanted to know :)
both did well- by that i mean got into the 90s.

60 hours of studying earning a 91?

Wow, I'm wondering if Andy was studying the wrong stuff?:D

But seriously, Yah-E, I know that you guys had to self-teach yourselves Path. Did that take up a huge chunk of your study time?

With all the hours you put in, as well as a study routinue the likes of I've never seen before, I'm finding it hard to believe you got a 90. Are you lying to us?

He scanned in his score reports and posted them, and why would he lie and give a lower score? People absorb information at extremely different rates, some people are better test takers than others, and people at different schools learn the same basic information but get very different educations. Simple as that.

Originally posted by arns51
He scanned in his score reports and posted them

Yeah, I can see that. Perhaps I should have put <sarcastic> around the comments.

Yah-E is one of my best SDN buddies. We've been hammering out our professional paths on SDN for over 2 years now.

where did u get that cute pic as ur avataar gavin c? cute! like a 3yr-old calvin whos just seen hobbes! :p

(am i going to be hauled up for posting totally away from the topic?:( )

G:

I hear you there, my friend. With my plan of attack in place and with those hundreds of study hours, I should've gotten a higher average score. Maybe the ADA Examiners saw this thread and said, let's screw this guy named Yah-E at Nova and only give him a 90 as his higher score!?

OR

Simply I need all that study hours just to earn a 90? I studied, studied and studied, all my colleagues are also suprised that I only got a 90 because they saw how much I studied and it sounded like I knew my materials. I told several of my upperclassmen (D3s) about my scores this week, they were all also surprised of my 90 and had expecting a high 90 overall score from me.

Believe me, we are all surprised!

Am I a worse test taker? I don't think so, I seem to do fine in dental school exams. I really think it's how different people retain different information better than others. NBDE Part 1 (the current version) is not meant to trick you or has trick questions in it. Either you know it or you don't. I simply knew less than those people who scored higher than I did. Perhaps I needed an additional 300+ hours to earn a higher score than a 90.

Again, was I disappointed when I found out my score? No, not really, simply because I earned the "magical" number (a 90) for the Part 1 (sort of like getting a 20/20 on the DAT). Would I've been happier with a 91 or a 92? Oh, of course! Who wouldn't?

But I got what I got and I earned what I earned. Either I'm happy with it or I can always take it again this upcoming summer in attempt to increase it. Guess what? I'm happy with it. My OMS director here at Nova already said to me this week, "Andy, you've got the magic number that many residencies look for, you did great!" [meaning, a lot of residencies will not even look at your application unless you have a 90 on Part 1]

Then he proceeded to say to me, "but I don't look at the board scores, Class rank is more important!" I was like "DOUGH!" Better get cracking again....

im an international student, so i guess im still learning a couple of things here and there. it should be a review damn it. december 1 here i come! clinicals dont make studying easy.

good scores guys. congrats. :clap:

Alright, I'm sure December 2003 exam takers' scores are in! Lets post some scores and experiences. Please do not start conversations in this thread. Ask questions by starting your own thread. This thread is for NBDE Part 1 scores and advice ONLY!

Materials used
Length of time used
What's effective, what's not

SHARE, SHARE!!!

[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences:
Biochemistry/Physiology:
Microbiology/Pathology:
Dental Anatomy:

Overall Average:

Cumulative Study Hours:
Most Difficult Section:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

[NOTE: this is NOT a discussion thread, this thread is aimed to be a reference thread. If you have questions for a particular poster, then please direct your question directly to that person via PM or start another thread of your own. PLEASE refrain from discussions, questions, and comments in this thread. Much appreciated!]

Hi,
Students who have taken part1 exams ..kindly ..do post your valuable inputs for the future test takers ..
July 2004...NDBE part."1"....................
Come on guys ..help us out here ...:p
Thanks
Toothzone

Killer thread you guys!!Keep it going!

hie,
is there a similar thread for part 2 ..let me know plzzzz.. thanku..

Please people, which part of no discussions or questions don't you guys understand? This thread is for reference purpose only and I don't want to scroll through a bunch of questions just to see STATS and I'm sure that goes for other dental students!

Please delete all your questions and comments at your earliest convenience. If I see anymore comments or questions posted in this thread, I will process to delete the entire thread since I started this thread.

Want to ask questions, start your own threads! It's easy as that!

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding!

Hi, Andy
As no one seems to be contributing towards any suggestions ..that is why I guess students are posting " just to keep the thread alive" ..
It is a free country and you don't have to get all mad about it ..since we are posting questions on the thread ..since your exams are over and you have scored , try and be of little help to others also ..
Don't get so mad...
Thanks
Toothzone
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lets hear some more new experiences!!!

[Standard Format]

Anatomical Sciences:
Biochemistry/Physiology:
Microbiology/Pathology:
Dental Anatomy:

Overall Average:

Cumulative Study Hours:
Most Difficult Section:
Study DOs:
Study DON'Ts:

BUMPED.

(hoping there are more experiences out there, maybe from some OMS guys)

Anatomy/Histology 84
Biochemistry/Physiology 90
Microbiology/Immunology 85
Dental Anatomy/Occlusion 90

Average: 87.25

Study time: 2 weeks, about 6 hours total per day.
Study materials: Dental Decks. Read thoroughly once. Then skim over them once.
Most difficult section: Anat/Histology. Histology, specifically. Gross anatomy questions were cake. Histology was the killer.
Do's and don'ts: If you know you're not particularly bright, or if you don't have a strong foundational "grasp" of the material, don't try to cram. You'll never make it.
Additional study materials: A small clinical anatomy book for quick reference when needed. Nothing else.

Doyou people from other countries make even a small attempt to read the contents of the thread???
Its for people to post their stats, so march your a$$ to the international student thread

sorry about that il remove it

:laugh:
this guy serious. Chill out man

SDN9876 said:
Aren't you from a highly developed nation where courtesy, respect, humbleness, and genuine concern for your fellow humans mean anything to you? Sure he was lazy and didn't read the thread. How about being a bigger person and at least directing him in a nice manner to the right place to post such a question. Not everyone is as computer-savvy as you and I may be and he probably didn't understand that threads are subject specific. So next time stop acting like you're a big shot and know-it-all, because shariq-boy, you "ain't".

this guy serious?. Chill out man. Its not like i shot the poor bastard

SDN9876 said:
Aren't you from a highly developed nation where courtesy, respect, humbleness, and genuine concern for your fellow humans mean anything to you? Sure he was lazy and didn't read the thread. How about being a bigger person and at least directing him in a nice manner to the right place to post such a question. Not everyone is as computer-savvy as you and I may be and he probably didn't understand that threads are subject specific. So next time stop acting like you're a big shot and know-it-all, because shariq-boy, you "ain't".

shariq
every time i see u r posting a remark to degrade dentists from other country .is it ur own inferiorty complex.
If that is the case then it is fine becos it helps u come out of ur own complex man.
U should take a chill pill and try to relax a bit

shariq said:
this guy serious?. Chill out man. Its not like i shot the poor bastard

vikingglobe said:
shariq
every time i see u r posting a remark to degrade dentists from other country .is it ur own inferiorty complex.
If that is the case then it is fine becos it helps u come out of ur own complex man.
U should take a chill pill and try to relax a bit
You both need to lay off. If you want to keep insulting each other for fun, do it through PMs where the rest of us don't have to deal with it.

There have been a lot of threads about boards lately. I thought I would help everyone out and bump this one. There's good stuff in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.