Newark/Beth Israel Residency Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RxnMan

Who, me? A doctor?
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a review sent to me by a SDN user (sent to me via PM) who interviewed there and wishes to remain anonymous. I am posting it verbatim as a service for the SDN community.

Newark Beth Israel (Newark, NJ)

Pros: In Newark, so good pathology. I liked all the attendings I met. 100k visits/year.

Cons: Level 2 trauma center, you do your trauma at UMDNJ. No simulation. Salary was pretty low for the cost of living.

Impression: Good urban training, but I’m not thrilled about living in or around Newark.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I actually am an intern at NBI. I thought about the same things when I was a medical student myself. To address some of the cons
-One of the big things I thought about as a medical student is being comfortable with handling traumas and seeing a large volume of patients so it would prepare me when I am an attending. At out hospital we see a large amount of patients. You will see plenty of trauma.....trust me. You will be tired of it by the time you leave here. We see a fair amount of trauma at our hospital because people are brought in by family members with gsw, stab wounds, unstable and we get used to stabilizing patients and potentially sending them to a larger trauma center if needed. I started off my intern yr on a trauma rotation and by the end of the month I was ready to go because you see the same thing over and over. A lot of it is following an algorithm and stabilization. It is very exciting but with trauma at UMDNJ the first two yrs and Jersey city the last yr you will be very well prepared.
-Salary: When I first matched I thought the salary was low as well but there is a raise in the works. The website is old btw (A new website will be up and running soon...we recently took pictures for the new site).
-Nobody lives in Newark. The majority of residents live in surrounding cities, some in jersey city, hoboken, ny (15-30 mins away from the hospital), montclair....I can go on. There are a ton of places to live around the area within a 15 min commute
Our seniors get great job offers and have no problems going where they want once they complete the program. You will see tons of pathology here and stay very busy. I like it so far =)