Gap in med school training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprint4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,

My situation is perhaps unique and I was hoping to get advice from those in their radiology training. I completed 2.5 years of medical school before leaving due to an undiagnosed anxiety disorder. Long story short, a 5-year abusive relationship gave me PTSD and anxiety; as you all know, med school stress can make these things appear when you didn't know they were there before.

I left school not knowing what was wrong, but years of therapy and admitting everything that happened have done amazing things for me, and now I look back on med school and wonder if I could finish and continue my training. The school is surprisingly amenable to the idea, perhaps because there is an identifiable reason for my distress and because my grades and step I boards were very good. I will have a six year gap in my med school training during which I was a high school science teacher. I will probably pick up by starting my third year over again and beginning rotations.

My boards and grades were competitive for radiology before leaving, but now I have a large gap in training to account for. My question is: will that essentially eliminate me from consideration for radiology residency programs? Or any residency for that matter? I'm posting this here because I am most interested in radiology, but if it belongs in another forum, I'd listen to that advice, too.

Thanks everyone,
sprint4

isnt there an issue of time between step 1 step 2 and step 3? just curious. i dont know much about this but i would talk to your school in total.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe ERAS has a section in which you are required to explain gaps in training. The basic question that programs will want to answer is, will this affect your performance? If you perform well in your clinical years of med school, that should reassure them that you will do well in residency. Your scores and grades will get you the interviews. You want to convice programs that this is something that has been properly treated, so it does not affect how they rank you. You could make an argument that this experience has made you a stronger person. I've been on admissions committees for med school and residency, and stories of overcoming adversity tend to go over well.

If you can get your USMLE scores accepted and they are competitive, then go for it! Get a radiology advisor at your school, do a rotation, and perhaps do a small research project in radiology. If you work with them as a student, this may help them look past your gap in training. Just be prepared to explain in such a way that won't leave them doubting your future abilities to succeed in radiology.

what i would do is simply retake step 1 pronto. then you would start fresh from day 1 and have seven years to complete step3. its only one step and you probaby can pass. better than explaining that away and being mercy to some medical board.

I wish that would do it. A rep from the state board said that the clock starts from the first sitting for step 1. Taking it a second time might be favorable in the committee's eyes, but it won't restart the clock.

that is incorrect... how can that be.. people resolve this issue all the time by retaking the exams...