Whats the best option ? Overseas trained radiologist (europe).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knosway14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im 30 years old radiologist trained in Madrid, Spain (europe), for personal reasons (spouse/partner) i will move to the US.
As right now i work for private practice in spain, but as i want to keep practicing radiology i consider to re-do my training.

for the background i did apply for radiology in the us around 4 or 5 years ago, i was a NON us FMG, i got 1 rad interview and around 3 prelims.
243 / 238 / pass / 234. Anyway this time im already a radiologist and also will count with permanent residence permit by the time of any application (so programs dont have to think of a issuing a visa).

i have though about 3 options.

Redo residency , alternate pathway or just do teleradiology for spain (while living in the US).

im pretty aware im not in a position of being picky but im kind of geographically limited to NYC and california.

Anyway be honest, but nice, just trying to find opinions of what could work best.

my kindest regards.

Members don't see this ad.

Im 30 years old radiologist trained in Madrid, Spain (europe), for personal reasons (spouse/partner) i will move to the US.
As right now i work for private practice in spain, but as i want to keep practicing radiology i consider to re-do my training.

for the background i did apply for radiology in the us around 4 or 5 years ago, i was a NON us FMG, i got 1 rad interview and around 3 prelims.
243 / 238 / pass / 234. Anyway this time im already a radiologist and also will count with permanent residence permit by the time of any application (so programs dont have to think of a issuing a visa).

i have though about 3 options.

Redo residency , alternate pathway or just do teleradiology for spain (while living in the US).

im pretty aware im not in a position of being picky but im kind of geographically limited to NYC and california.

Anyway be honest, but nice, just trying to find opinions of what could work best.

my kindest regards.
Roughly how much would reading tele for Spain pay? Probably worth it financially to retrain in the US if you're planning to stay here permanently. I think alternate pathway would be better than residency if you can find a spot.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the time you want to stay in the US. If it is limited, it is not worth to retrain. Another thing to consider is the pay you might get from teleradiology from spain.
Lots of factors to consider, but if I were you I would not redo my residency again.

Roughly how much would reading tele for Spain pay? Probably worth it financially to retrain in the US if you're planning to stay here permanently. I think alternate pathway would be better than residency if you can find a spot.
i earn around 4 to 6 k euro net per month (its goob by spanish standards ), that should be around 80 k year gross. we combined have a decent income (she has a much better salary than me), and overall we would do well financially, i just don't want her to take most or almost all of our economical responsibilities. In the other hand im very happy being a radiologist, would be hard for me switching to other fields even if its involve a higher salary.

i think i should prepare for staying permanently (my partner have a great position there and although she is european, she is not coming back to europe anytime soon).

i think ill apply to alternate pathway and maybe a few residency spots.

how do i stand among other candidates¿

Sounds like the alternate pathway is for you. Fortunately for you, fellowships in the US are easier to get into than radiology residencies (most subspecialties have more positions than applicants), so you shouldn't have much problem finding the fellowship spots you need, even as a foreign radiologist. Not to mention, I suspect doing fellowships in several subspecialties will make you pretty attractive to practices, as you can cover multiple areas of need.

That said, by NYC and California, I suspect you actually mean the city of NYC and the large coastal CA cities, not the rest of New York state or central California? Obviously those locations are more competitive than most other places in the US. But even in those locations there are many academic institutions, so a fellowship spot should not be overly difficult.

Reactions: 2 users
Alternate pathway is the clear winner here. Rads is a lot more competitive then 4-5 years ago, plus with alternate you’ll get that extra experience. I’m surprised I haven’t heard that much about the alternate pathway online.

Definitely look into alternate pathway. Your salary with internal moonlighting will be similar and after 4 years you’ll be board certified In the US. Plus doing different fellowships will make you a much better radiologist. Those locations have big universities that offer alternate pathways.

Thanks all for your responses, is there any database of programs offering alternate pathway or should i email programs individually?