Is IR training required in all DR residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medskool1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still have a ways to go in medical school but am seriously considering DR as a career choice. However, I was wondering if all diagnostic radiology residencies require some form of interventional radiology training even if I have no desire to do IR in the future. Does this depend on the program/hospital?

An additional question is how often do DR residents do procedures (biopsies, fluoroscopic guided injections, etc.) Is it daily, weekly, or dependent on the rotation you're on? I would like to do some hands on procedures during residency but am curious just how much I'd be doing in DR residency.

Thanks for the help and sorry if these questions have been answered before. I am new to the field and trying to learn as much as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

All will do rotations in IR. DR residents should have procedures as part of their training but it won't be a lot. You will have to get those skills sharp as a fellow or junior Attending.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How relevant IR rotations are to a future DR attending is somewhat dependent on how procedures are divided at your institution. Some places have Body do all the thora/paras, biopsies, thyroid, and drains. Some places Neuro does spine and neck procedures, including LP/myelos. Then IR just does vascular and oncology work. Other places IR does all of the above or some combination.

In real life, DRs do the majority of non-vascular procedures, and you should learn and be comfortable with as many of them as possible.

Unless you do off site tele work your whole career. But even then you should know when and how to do a procedure, so you know when to recommend it.

Reactions: 1 user