DS Letter of Recommendation Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MowgliR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many LORs? Who should I ask? Well, hopefully all your questions will be answered. I have attempted to compile all the schools requirements into one document! Yes, I went to each school's website since it is not on the ADEA Guide! There are some schools which I couldn't find direct information.

Let me know if there are some schools I should add--just post the school's website and I'll update the doc.

-----------------

Looking at the attached doc, you'll notice most schools prefer committee letters. If no committee exists, pay attention to the alternative requirements for each school! If you're confused on which is science which is non-science the list below should help.

BCP Courses (Biology, Chemistry and Physics Courses)
Examples: Anatomy
Biology
Biochemistry
Biophysics
Botany
Chemistry
Genetics
Medicine
Microbiology
Neuroscience
Pathology
Pharmacology
Pharmacy
Physics
Physiology
Zoology

Other Science Courses (Other science courses that do not fall under the categories of Biology, Chemistry or Physics)

Examples: Agriculture
Animal Sciences
Astronomy
Clinical Sciences
Nutrition
Engineering
Health Technology
Geology
Kinesiology
Mathematics
Physical Sciences
Plant Sciences
Sports Sciences

Non-Science Courses (Humanities, Social Sciences, Health Services and miscellaneous courses)

Examples: Anthropology
Art
Behavioral Sciences
Business
Communications
Dental Hygiene
Economics
Education
English
Foreign Languages
Forensic Sciences
History
Humanities
Music
Physical Education
Political Science
Psychology
Public Affairs/Administration
Public Health
Social Sciences
Sociology
Social Work
Speech
Sports Administration

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• DS LOR Requirements (Updated 5:4:11).xlsx
    41.9 KB · Views: 2,565
Last edited:
great :thumbup: I was just talking about this yesterday...

I'm guessing the source is all the schools' websites?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Randy, I noticed some schools are left blank... does this mean they don't require LORs or you couldn't find?

Thanks for doing this. I just spot checked a few schools I am interested in and thought I might clarify some important ones. So just a heads up to people: this is a great list to get you started, but I would double check the ones you're wanting to apply to...

Tufts - Requires 2 biology, 1 non-biology SCIENCE professor (from math, chem, biochem, physics)

Nova - The "non-science" is more specifically a liberal arts professor

UDM - The Biology professors can not be from an environmental science professor or a plant biology professor

I agree with amalgamgrillz, double check with the schools you are applying to and post here to give everyone an update!

In any case thank you, this is very handy!

Thanks for doing this. I just spot checked a few schools I am interested in and thought I might clarify some important ones. So just a heads up to people: this is a great list to get you started, but I would double check the ones you're wanting to apply to...

Tufts - Requires 2 biology, 1 non-biology SCIENCE professor (from math, chem, biochem, physics)

Nova - The "non-science" is more specifically a liberal arts professor

UDM - The Biology professors can not be from an environmental science professor or a plant biology professor

For Tufts I'm not seeing 2 bio letters required?

http://dental.tufts.edu/1176295338385/TUSDM-Page-dental2w_1186496760237.html#academic

Required Letters of Evaluation:
1 Letter from a Biology professor
1 Letter from a second science, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Math or Physics
*Or a pre-professional composite committee letter
1 Letter from a general dentist providing proof of at least 30 hours of dental shadowing experience--please note this letter must include approximate number of hours.
Additional Letter of Evaluation:
Completion of coursework in upper-level Biology classes such as Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Immunology, Pharmacology and Histology.
Additional Recommendations:
Completion of coursework in upper-level Biology classes such as Anatomy, Physiology, Microbiology, Immunology, Pharmacology and Histology.

Reactions: 1 user

http://dental.tufts.edu/1176295338385/TUSDM-Page-dental2w_1186496760237.html#academic

1 Letter from a general dentist providing proof of at least 30 hours of dental shadowing experience--please note this letter must include approximate number of hours.

Sorry - typo. I meant 1 biology, not 2, for Tufts.

Thanks for the clarification. Doc has been updated.

For Tufts would a committee letter not satisfy the LOR requirement?

since different schools require different types of LOR's. Do i just email 3 science prof. 1 non-science and 1 dentist to upload theirs ?

and how will the schools pick out which LOR belongs to science or non-science ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you should get 3 recommendation letters from your pre-requisite science professors (bio, gen chem, organic or physics) plus another from a dentist would be ok

Remember, you can only upload 4 LORs to AADSAS. Some schools allow hard copies to be sent, while other don't.

Remember, you can only upload 4 LORs to AADSAS. Some schools allow hard copies to be sent, while other don't.
are u serious ?

what if i apply to 2 schools and

School 1 requires 3 science prof. + 1 dentist
school 2 requires 2 science + 1 non science

if i upload the 3 science prof. and 1 dentist onto AADSAS, how can the non-science prof. upload theirs if its only 4 maximum ??

are u serious ?

what if i apply to 2 schools and

School 1 requires 3 science prof. + 1 dentist
school 2 requires 2 science + 1 non science

if i upload the 3 science prof. and 1 dentist onto AADSAS, how can the non-science prof. upload theirs if its only 4 maximum ??

Mail the additional one straight to the school perhaps.

Does anyone know which schools require 3 academic letters? (3 science LORs or 2 science, 1 non-science)? Which school requires a non-science letter or 3 sciences?

I made a list of the schools I wanted to apply to, and maybe only one asked that, but I was wondering if I missed anything so I'd thought I'd ask.

I only was thinking of sending in 2 science, 1 pre-health committee, 1 dentist.

does your PI LOR count as a science if you did research and got BIOLOGY credit for it in your institution?

Thanks for ur input. This was what I need now before applying for schools requires more science prof's lor than what I have.

BTW, has anyone acceptted in SUNNY SB or Columbia with less than 3 science prof's lor?

if we don't have the required letters of rec, from the nit picky schools, does this mean we shouldn't even apply? hows anyone supposed to get these letters!

Has anyone gotten into a school by sending the extra LOR's to the school manually?