Letter of Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heeyyyyyy guyssss

I'm looking for advice on getting an LOR.

I basically have 0 chance of getting in this cycle so I plan to reapply next cycle. Recently, my mom has suggested to apply for schools in Ireland and the deadline for initial submission is the end of the month. My main concern is the LOR cuz idk who I'm gonna get it from. I've shadowed/worked for 3 dentists. The one I've shadowed the most is my uncle, but can't have him write a letter. I worked for another dentist for a bit and asked for a letter, but he does not want to provide one. The third one I shadowed provided a letter for my applications this cycle, but I don't know if I should reach out to them again cuz I didn't shadow them for that long and I haven't spoken to them in a while.

She really wants me to apply and asked another one of my uncles to write a letter for me. I never shadowed or worked for them, but basically her plan is to provide him with my resume and experiences shadowing at these other offices, and then he writes a letter based on that as if I had done it at his office. I don't know the exact conversation they had so idk if he is actually willing to write it, or if he was talked into it

Obv I'm hesitant about that and don't think it's a good idea. But she says it's not a big deal and that this is an opportunity etc. I won't apply if I don't have an LOR, but I know she's going to hold it over my head if I don't apply.

So I'm just wondering if it's actually a common thing and you would apply with this letter, or if it's an absolutely diabolical idea
 
Last edited:
It's bad form for your parents to set up your application profile. Have you looked at these programs? Is there a reason why she wants you to go for dental schools in Ireland (I'm guessing Atlantic Bridge)?
I've looked at the programs. I applied for American/Canadian schools this cycle and haven't gotten an acceptance, so she wants me to apply to Ireland in hopes I'll get in and won't have to take a gap year or do a master's. I'm assuming I shouldn't get an LOR like this?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've looked at the programs. I applied for American/Canadian schools this cycle and haven't gotten an acceptance, so she wants me to apply to Ireland in hopes I'll get in and won't have to take a gap year or do a master's. I'm assuming I shouldn't get an LOR like this?
if your plan is to practice in the US, going to Ireland would make it even more expensive and add an additional 2-2.5 years onto your education as you need to do an advanced standing program, which is highly competitive. Degrees outside of the US and Canada are not accredited/recognized in the US to practice.

As for the LOR, I wouldn't get a letter from family.
 
I served on the admission committee at our school as a D4. If I saw that your uncle wrote one of your letters, I doubt I could take the rest of your application seriously. I would highly advise against it. Not necessarily due to the fact that he's lying (obviously not great), but more so that he's family. Just screams nepotism.