Why is it bad to necro-bump threads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ToldYouSo

Student
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
especially when said person who opens a new thread on a common topic will be flamed for not using the search function?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In this case, the search function is for finding old threads and hopefully getting the info you need from them, not "contributing" to them. Regardless of how you feel, you don't have anything to add to a discussion that has been dead for 3+ years.

Members don't see this ad :)
In this case, the search function is for finding old threads and hopefully getting the info you need from them, not "contributing" to them. Regardless of how you feel, you don't have anything to add to a discussion that has been dead for 3+ years.
It's pretty hilarious when someone bumps an old thread and acts like they're right in the middle of the discussion, or asks the thread participants a question

Reactions: 1 users
I personally enjoy reading old, old threads and think they are amusing/informative. I don't mind at all when they are bumped. There is something naively comical about someone doing a google search and finding an 8 yo thread and then responding to the OP.

I agree that its completely paradoxical to flame users for both bumping old threads and also not searching (BTW, SDN search function really sucks... just google what you want and then under the first result you see from SDN, click "see more from this site").

I think that there should be a one-year rule: If there is a thread discussing the same topic that is less than a year old, don't post a new one. That would seem to fix both problems. I personally hate searching through long 30-paged threads, although the "~*~*~*~Ofiicial~~*~**~*~*" whatever threads are mighty useful during your application year.

especially when said person who opens a new thread on a common topic will be flamed for not using the search function?

Because the posters who sought advice years ago and are now practicing physicians probably don't need your burning insight on how to get into medical school.

The advice to search first is intended so people can READ old threads which likely already answer the person's question....not so they can respond to them.

No. Just...no. People bring up old threads that ask "Will these stats get me into med school"? with a question to the OP from 1985 "Hey, what schools did you apply to?"

But newer threads are like "Hey, is there a forum for people interested in DO school?"

I say who cares. People freak out about bumping old threads, but I don't see why they care so much. If you feel like posting, then post. I have had questions that I've found already existed. Most of the time they are still relevant, otherwise I wouldn't have had the question in the first place...

I say who cares. People freak out about bumping old threads, but I don't see why they care so much. If you feel like posting, then post. I have had questions that I've found already existed. Most of the time they are still relevant, otherwise I wouldn't have had the question in the first place...

Yeah, I honestly find necro bumps extremely hilarious. :laugh:

It's frowned upon for the same reasons that necrophilia is frowned upon.

You could always just make a new topic, reference the old thread in your post, and ask your question there. :)

You could always just make a new topic, reference the old thread in your post, and ask your question there. :)

Well done...

For the people saying it's a catch 22, it's really not. It's not that hard to use your brain and figure out which threads are too old to be responded to when searching for a question or when it's appropriate to just keep the convo going.

Hehe, necrobumping thread about necrobumping threads!

Is 5 years, 7 months, and 30 days too old? Good/bad? lol

But this is a great idea that I wish was used more often:

Reactions: 4 users