Shadowing - 2 Dentists in the Same Office

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justdandi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have only shadowed at 1 dental office, but while there, I shadowed 2 different dentists with very different working styles/approaches to patients.

In the Shadowing section of AADSAS, can I put them down as 2 different dentists (i.e. 2 shadowing spots)? Of course, I will divide up my hours correspondingly between the two of them (I shadowed one significantly more than the other).

Or is 1 dental office = 1 shadowing spot?

I'm asking because, though I have a decent amount of total hours, having only 1 spot on the Shadowing filled seems very... little?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I have only shadowed at 1 dental office, but while there, I shadowed 2 different dentists with very different working styles/approaches to patients.

In the Shadowing section of AADSAS, can I put them down as 2 different dentists (i.e. 2 shadowing spots)? Of course, I will divide up my hours correspondingly between the two of them (I shadowed one significantly more than the other).

I'm asking because, though I have a decent amount of total hours, having only 1 spot on the Shadowing filled seems very... little?

Thank you!

what would be the disadvantage of "very...little"? The important thing about shadowing is that you have enough exposure to this profession to solidify your decision to pursue it.

Sure you would have gained more experienced shadowing different offices, but this is not a choking point....

Having 1 line of entry where you describe 2 dentists isn't very different than 2 lines of shadowing from the same office.

I shadowed 3 dentists in the same office. I put them down as three different experiences because they were different experiences. I put how many hours I worked with each particular dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmmm i shadowed in 1 particular office & i was there to just shadow the general dentist however a periodontist would come in every now @ then and work there for a day. i was told to shadow him as well. so id put them down as 2 seperate

I think I'd put them as different experiences because they kinda are different experiences. Many times when there are 2 or more dentists in one dental office they all take on different roles...like one is more focused on the business aspect of it while the other one may be more focused on patient care.

The dental group I shadowed had 3 dentists, but I only put it as 1 experience. (listed all 3 in the "name of supervisor" part)

I hope you're right about this...I'm going to put down that I shadowed 29 doctors because of my internship at the hospital!

Thank you!

I know how you feel. I only have 3 spots of the 10 filled for my dental experience. I'm considering shadowing an orthodontist for 10 hrs so I can put that on but at the same time, I feel so terrible shadowing JUST so I can have more spaces filled up. Do you guys think that a mediocre amount of dental experience is going to hurt a low GPA/high DAT applicant? Thanks

Thank you!

I was in the same situation and I listed the two doctors separately. But I think what is most important is the total # of hours.

Thank you so much for all the responses and suggestions! :)