anyone at Albany or Buffalo??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meihee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so can you tell me what you think about either one? I decided recentlythat I wanted to apply to pharmacy school and I admit-I have no clue what I am doing!!! I tried going to the health professions advisor at my current school but they basically only help pre-med students. UGHHHHHHH

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I do understand your frustrations with advisors. However, I do not know anything about these schools, but I wanted to help. I would see if you can go on a tour at these schools and maybe you can meet someone (students or advisors) who can help you with some advice and maybe you can get a feel for these schools.

Wish I can help more!!!

Good luck

Thanks for trying to help :) Hopefully someone on this forum goes to Albany or Buffalo and can help. This is SO frustrating. I'm going to call both schools this week and see if I can go visit I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey :)
I am an Albany grad, so keep in mind my bias! I loved going to school there--smaller class size, profs know your name, high pass rate on NYS boards. Albany is private and SUNY Buffalo is public, so you are looking at higher tuition at Albany. Buffalo is very cold in the winter. Albany is very close to NYC, Boston, etc. You could argue that Buffalo is close to Toronto, Canada or Rochester. Definitely call ACP and ask if a student could show you around and/or meet with you to discuss the program. Folks there are very friendly, contrary to popular opinion.

Hope this helps,

loo

Hey thanks!! I sooo know about those cold winters-I live in Syracuse!! Thanks for the input, I might have some questions for you later on :)

Hey Meihee, Thanks for putting up this thread...I am too considering the Pharm schools in New York, and I was also wondering what life was like in these schools. When are you thinking of applying and entering Pharm school? :D

Loo,
Thanks for the advice. I've been looking into Albany as well, and I was wondering if you knew what the acceptance rate is. Also, if you don't mind me asking, were you in the 3-year accelerated program? Is it really fast-pace? How many other Pharm schools did you apply to?

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate it! :)

good luck trying to get into buffalo, they only accpet 100 people a year and becasue it is a state school tuition will be low and increase the competion to get in. i'm from syracuse and had to come out to boston (big mistake). i should have taken classes and boosted up my gpa and tried to get in state. also don't forget the st. john in NYC also has a pharmacy prgram. i hate nyc so i didn't even apply there. i got rejected from albany and never applied to buffalo.

Hey Smilez4me--

I graduated when it was still a 5-year program, so I can't comment on the accelerated program. As for getting in, make sure your prerequisite course grades are solid because the competition is getting more fierce. Also, make sure you are a well-rounded person, i.e. have extracurricular activities you actually like to do! Albany does look at the whole person, not just the grades. Get you application in early with all your supplemental material. The earlier the better.

What other schools did I apply to? None. Albany was my first and only choice. I was taught by current Dean and academic Dean--talk about knowing your profs! Albany is an easy city to live in and there are new dorms and modern apartment close to campus. Albany Medical college is across the street. Back when I attended, there was no housing. If you want to know anything more, let me know!

loo

Oh yeah, I forgot! ACP is one of the sites for the Part 3 (compounding) portion of the NY Boards, so it will be easy to pass--you'll feel like you're in class, No pressure!

As far as acceptance rate--good question. Apply early!

As far as acceptance rate--good question. Apply early!

Does that mean it's on a rolling-admission basis?

Thanks again, loo!!! :)

Hmm, my grades aren't that good but I plan on getting a job at a pharmacy before I graduate. i am applying for fall 2005. I think I will probably end up retaking some classes that I didn't do so well in.....

Thanks loo, I'm sure there will be more to ask as I figure out what I actually need to ask LOL

if you are accepted send in your deposit as soon as possible. i've heard a few horror stories form people where they were accpeted but were removed becasue they waited to long to send in their deposit. i've also heard that albany reserves the right to reject even after you have been accepted if they find someone more qualified to repalce you. i actully heard that story on here. i'm not sure who it was. they got accepted but then later found out they were no longer accepted. good luck.

[----------------------------------------------------------------------------------I am an Albany grad, so keep in mind my bias! I loved going to school there--smaller class size, profs know your name, high pass rate on NYS boards. Albany is private and SUNY Buffalo is public, so you are looking at higher tuition at Albany. Buffalo is very cold in the winter. Albany is very close to NYC, Boston, etc. You could argue that Buffalo is close to Toronto, Canada or Rochester. Definitely call ACP and ask if a student could show you around and/or meet with you to discuss the program. Folks there are very friendly, contrary to popular opinion.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Loo,
I did an Albany search on the boards and read your post from last Sept. I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question. I'm extremely interested in going to Albany ever since I learned about the school (much more so than Rutgers and I'm from NJ).
I want to get into the accelerated program (2006 I'll be ready). I work for a pharmaceutical company and do nothing remotely related to clinical work-so I can't b.s. them with that. Is there any advice you could offer besides getting great grades that might tip the scales in my favor of gaining admission?

Hey MALA-
I think you have a few things in your favor already! One, you are working in the "field". Stress your pharmaceutical experience in your essay and how obtaining a pharmacy degree would be a logical extension of your career path, blah, blah, blah. Two, you are a non-traditional student. This is also good because you know what you want and the admissions committee looks favorably on that.

My advice would be to go there in person and be a face associated with a name. (I know...you have a real job and you may not be able to do this) . Make an appointment to speak with someone in admissions. I think this will pay off in the long run. I can try to get you some names if you like.

Go for it! Hope this helps.

loo

Thanks for your advice Loo! Are you still attending Albany? I had a brief conversation with Michael Green in Admissions regarding prerequisite classes. He assured me that as long as they are from an accredited school, they should be fine. I would love to take the time and visit the school and meet with someone in admissions. Being that I haven't applied yet, would they want to talk with me? I have lots of vacation time and will use any excuse to go to upstate NY. Sure- anything you can find out would be great, and since 2006 seems like a very long time from now, I'll be sure to visit them again next year. I'll treat it like a job interview.