tbr and june 16th test...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imapremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

did you think that the tbr physics and gen chem helped in any way shape or form in preparing you better than other stuff (if you had tried other methods as well)

and for bio, is it comparable to br bio, because honestly, some of teh answers to the bio passages are out from left field - though some are pretty good in challenging you but some from br bio bring in info from left field that is not in the passage and we dont know of yet..

please specify which session you had and how it felt. thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

TBR PS is considerably harder than the real thing I took.

TBR BS is very comparable to the real thing. Some of the questions were really out of the blue.

Everybody on the 6/16 thread said PS was killer more so than BS. So what would be better prep for PS?

TBR BS is very comparable to the real thing. Some of the questions were really out of the blue.

****t... really? cuz i definetly feel like some of the passages in br bio like bring out some crazy background info that i never knew... like an intermediate from glycolysis lowers the ability of hemoglobin to hold onto oxygen.. really?!? wtf no where in the passage does it say that and i never knew that either. so scared for this bs.

and does ps give bizzare numbers or are they pretty good for the most part?

Members don't see this ad :)

i think you mentioned earlier that you took the 2pm test

the one that people have been complaining about was the 8 am test in which the PS was BRUTAL. I did tbr passages from phys+chem+aamc exams+ek+kaplan and honestly... tbr is the closest to what we experienced this morning but still nothing could have prepared us... it was a curveball section...

Was BR bio pretty good prep? Would you recommend kaplan stuff at all? Im limited on time, so wondering if focus should just be BR passages for content, then AAMCs.

the one that people have been complaining about was the 8 am test in which the PS was BRUTAL. I did tbr passages from phys+chem+aamc exams+ek+kaplan and honestly... tbr is the closest to what we experienced this morning but still nothing could have prepared us... it was a curveball section...

Was BR bio pretty good prep? Would you recommend kaplan stuff at all? Im limited on time, so wondering if focus should just be BR passages for content, then AAMCs.

BR bio is plenty for the BS, in fact they are a little harder than AAMC, which is a pleasant surprise on the real deal. if you are limited on time, i would def stick with BR

Everyone is saying that the PS on 6/16 was difficult. I felt that the PS and the BS were not too bad and I'm sure TBR had a lot to do with it. I voided the test only because I have trouble with verbal.

thanks guys! that helped a lot.

also, are we expected to get a few dumb type of questions on test like like really?!? you pulled that out of left field especially since that wasn't even like a topic to be tested...

for example, calvin cycle was in a br passage but clearly for the mcat there is no calvin cycle so it can't show up right in a science passage?

yo what up? lol i wouldn't worry about knowing all that detail in BR passages. the reason BR gives you these crazy-WTF passages are to train you for what you're gonna see on the real thing. they do it so you get used to seeing really complex concepts that are way way way out of your comfort zone.

don't beat yourself up if you didn't know which substrate inhibited what enzyme. the important thing is that when you're confronted with these difficult, weird passages, you stay calm and use what you know to rationally deduce the right answer as well as definitively cross out the wrong ones. having just taken it, i felt that was the most important thing you should take away from prepping. situate yourself with uncomfortable passages with complex data so you can learn to effectively interpret quickly using your fundamentals.

****t... really? cuz i definetly feel like some of the passages in br bio like bring out some crazy background info that i never knew... like an intermediate from glycolysis lowers the ability of hemoglobin to hold onto oxygen.. really?!? wtf no where in the passage does it say that and i never knew that either. so scared for this bs.

Yeah, 2-3 BPG... we learned about it in AnP. 2-3 BPG, H+, CO2 and CO can displace O2 from hemoglobin.

EK Bio wasn't a very good prep for what showed up on the 2PM. Any source that has heavy research-laden passages that stress comprehension over raw knowledge would have been better prep. I got my **** rocked.

and does ps give bizzare numbers or are they pretty good for the most part?

1,3 bisphosphoglycerate comes to mind. LOL but that is TOTALLY obscure and LOLCATZ. seriously, i had to think about that for a long second. and i'm not even 100% sure its in the glycolysis pathway.

edit: after reading salim's post, its 2,3-BPG. and it does reduce hemoglobin affinity for O2.

all right thanks for all the help! really startign to build a feeling for how these test are...

another factor that i feel like i have a problem with is calculation problems. im not totally good at those i am decent so like i mess up here and there but i want to be like spot on for calculation questions. do they give you nasty calcuatlion problems like br does sometimes?

or are the calculation problems fairly simple in terms of doing math - horrible logs that require log trick?!?

Why would AAMC make such a hard PS section? Isn't this unfair, especially for first time writers who go in to the exam room expecting a normal mcat?

OP, I think it might be a little early to be asking those of us who took the test yesterday if TBR helped. Since I used it, I hope to God I can come here in a month and say TBR helped me get a 35+ score, but right now it is hard to judge.

OP, I think it might be a little early to be asking those of us who took the test yesterday if TBR helped. Since I used it, I hope to God I can come here in a month and say TBR helped me get a 35+ score, but right now it is hard to judge.

^^ I am in the same boat... hope to God...