some tips for people applying this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xander25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys I just wanted to shared some tips that helped me and that I learned through the 2 years I been here in the US. I feel that is my responsibility to give something back to other people that are going to the process of applying to a residency program just like I was 3 years ago. I was so discouraged by people posting things like " is so difficult to get" or " you will never do it this way", but I also ran into people here in this forum that helped me and answered my questions no matter what type of question I had. When I applied I was a fresh graduate only with one year of experience in Ecuador, no boards and a Toefl of 94. I was accepted into a 2 year AEGD program , and after my first year I applied to a MS in Prostho which Im starting right now. Again no boards, same TOEFL.

So here they go:

1. Know the school that r u applying to. Do some research about it , read about what papers have they published in the past, or if they r strong in any particular field etc. You don't want to talk too much during the interview but be prepared if something comes up.

2. Letters of recommendation are important try to get good ones, do a clinical or research rotation somewhere , Im sure that if u do what u have to do they r gonna give it 2 u.

3. Don't talk too much during the interview go to the point , they have more people to interview and they hear the same thing over and over. And please never say negative things, NEVER say I DONT LIKE , I DONT WANT etc. U should be open to learn everything....that's the reason u r there right?

4. Be nice to other people, in a lot of places residents also rank the applicants so they r gonna be watching u all the time. Programs are not only looking for competent residents they r also looking 4 people that can work as a team player with the residents that they already have.

5. And the most important thing is be yourself...people can tell when u r being fake.

I wish u the best and remember that nothing is impossible...
Buena Suerte!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Now, there's something to chew on! Thanks for your insight and helping me to refocus on the subtle things which we tend to forget about... :)

Now, there's something to chew on! Thanks for your insight and helping me to refocus on the subtle things which we tend to forget about... :)

Sure , no problem all the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys I just wanted to shared some tips that helped me and that I learned through the 2 years I been here in the US. I feel that is my responsibility to give something back to other people that are going to the process of applying to a residency program just like I was 3 years ago. I was so discouraged by people posting things like " is so difficult to get" or " you will never do it this way", but I also ran into people here in this forum that helped me and answered my questions no matter what type of question I had. When I applied I was a fresh graduate only with one year of experience in Ecuador, no boards and a Toefl of 94. I was accepted into a 2 year AEGD program , and after my first year I applied to a MS in Prostho which Im starting right now. Again no boards, same TOEFL.

So here they go:

1. Know the school that r u applying to. Do some research about it , read about what papers have they published in the past, or if they r strong in any particular field etc. You don't want to talk too much during the interview but be prepared if something comes up.

2. Letters of recommendation are important try to get good ones, do a clinical or research rotation somewhere , Im sure that if u do what u have to do they r gonna give it 2 u.

3. Don't talk too much during the interview go to the point , they have more people to interview and they hear the same thing over and over. And please never say negative things, NEVER say I DONT LIKE , I DONT WANT etc. U should be open to learn everything....that's the reason u r there right?

4. Be nice to other people, in a lot of places residents also rank the applicants so they r gonna be watching u all the time. Programs are not only looking for competent residents they r also looking 4 people that can work as a team player with the residents that they already have.

5. And the most important thing is be yourself...people can tell when u r being fake.

I wish u the best and remember that nothing is impossible...
Buena Suerte!:thumbup:

:thumbup: gracias! :D

thanks Xander25 for sharing your experiences and encouragement. it really helps.
i applied to UConn and Rochester AEGD last yr but i didnt get matched. This year im applying to UConn, University of maryland, and Nova AEGD. also applying to St. Mary's Hospital for GPR. Do you know if these schools like to accept FTDs? I applied them cuz they may consider for FTDs but I dont know how likely they will accept them. May i ask you which AEGD program did you get in to? Thank you for your help!

thanks Xander25 for sharing your experiences and encouragement. it really helps.
i applied to UConn and Rochester AEGD last yr but i didnt get matched. This year im applying to UConn, University of maryland, and Nova AEGD. also applying to St. Mary's Hospital for GPR. Do you know if these schools like to accept FTDs? I applied them cuz they may consider for FTDs but I dont know how likely they will accept them. May i ask you which AEGD program did you get in to? Thank you for your help!

I know that they all do.....but Im not sure about St. M ... I graduated from AEGD Rochester 1 week ago. Good luck with ur applications.

Xander25, I have posted this in another thread and I have been suggested to ask u this to get a better idea. Kindly help.

"I have a few doubts of my own. Kindly help!

I am a Foreign Trained Dentist from India. I am yet to take the NBDEs. Is it possible to get into a residency program in ENDO, PEDO or PERIO in any state, without going thru advanced standing and DDS/DMD? And if that is possible, then am I going to have trouble getting a license to practice later on??

Kindly answer my questions. It would mean a lot to me. Thanks"

Xander25, I have posted this in another thread and I have been suggested to ask u this to get a better idea. Kindly help.

"I have a few doubts of my own. Kindly help!

I am a Foreign Trained Dentist from India. I am yet to take the NBDEs. Is it possible to get into a residency program in ENDO, PEDO or PERIO in any state, without going thru advanced standing and DDS/DMD? And if that is possible, then am I going to have trouble getting a license to practice later on??

Kindly answer my questions. It would mean a lot to me. Thanks"

Hey there LRK , yes this is possible you can get into PERIO, ENDO or PEDO without advance standing. Im not saying its easy but it is possible.....however you are going to find out that there some school that will require a DDS degree for ENDO or PEDO but not all of them. My suggestion would be make a list of the schools that you are interested in and call them one by one. Remember that sometimes exceptions can be made according to your credentials.

After you are done with your specialty there will be some states that can give you a license limited to your specialty. I hope this helps!! best of luck!:thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup:

I got a lot of encouragement from you and i'll apply for the next year. Best wishes and Good Luck for your future.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I got a lot of encouragement from you and i'll apply for the next year. Best wishes and Good Luck for your future.
Txs sadaf like I told u , I wish u the best and my inbox is open 2 anyone that needs help... take care and go get them!

Thanks for your interesting tips. It will be very useful to me and for everyone who applying.

Hey there LRK , yes this is possible you can get into PERIO, ENDO or PEDO without advance standing. Im not saying its easy but it is possible.....however you are going to find out that there some school that will require a DDS degree for ENDO or PEDO but not all of them. My suggestion would be make a list of the schools that you are interested in and call them one by one. Remember that sometimes exceptions can be made according to your credentials.

After you are done with your specialty there will be some states that can give you a license limited to your specialty. I hope this helps!! best of luck!:thumbup:

Thank you so much for the useful advise Xander25 :) You said I could get a limited license to my specialty. Does that mean I could do an ENDO in a state and get a License from another state to practice just ENDO?? It would be great if that is Really possible:confused:. Also, would you say it would be possible to do an ENDO in a state where they require a DDS/DMD and still get licensed for ENDO alone due to not having DDS/DMD?? Please clarify. Thank you so much.:)

Hi Xander25, after you complete 2 yrs of AEGD (post-doctoral program) you are allow to practice/take State board in certain States right? Like Texas, Winsconsin, etc...?

Thank you so much for the useful advise Xander25 :) You said I could get a limited license to my specialty. Does that mean I could do an ENDO in a state and get a License from another state to practice just ENDO?? It would be great if that is Really possible:confused:. Also, would you say it would be possible to do an ENDO in a state where they require a DDS/DMD and still get licensed for ENDO alone due to not having DDS/DMD?? Please clarify. Thank you so much.:)

The thing is that everything depends on the state law. For example let say you do ENDO in a school in NY , then you move to TX ,in TX you will be able to get a license to practice ENDO without having DDS. However the same situation will not be possible in NY where they require a DDS degree. My suggestion is go to the ADA website or call the state board if u r interested in a particular state.

Hi Xander25, after you complete 2 yrs of AEGD (post-doctoral program) you are allow to practice/take State board in certain States right? Like Texas, Winsconsin, etc...?
That is correct, AEGD CERTIFICATE is consider in some states as a EQUIVALENT of DDS. NY, IA, OH, FL are some of them unfortunately Texas in not one of them..... u can work there if u do a specialty though